- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Technically Speaking   » A New Queen... (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: A New Queen...
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 04-27-2005 12:17 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...Of the sky!

Airbus A380 - bringing passengers to cruises in record numbers ??

[ 05-11-2005: Message edited by: Chris ]

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-27-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The BBC site has a video of the maiden flight: Here.

(Who was it that said he engines were not powerful enough to get her off the ground? )

[ 04-27-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 04-27-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More video here (flypast) and here (landing) - but be warned, these are big files (about 14 MB each).

And more pictures here.

[ 04-27-2005: Message edited by: Globaliser ]

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 04-27-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the A-380 testplane looks so lazy in the air...............i didnt have anydoubts that it would get off the ground but.....i mean..lord that is soooooo big...those engines must be really powerful.

as for air/ea transfer....one of those would be enough to send down here to Barbados for one ship
starting a cruise.
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sea Wanderer
First Class Passenger
Member # 5371

posted 04-27-2005 05:47 PM      Profile for Sea Wanderer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A fantasic thing for Europe and it really is a true pan-European effort too. The UK made the wings, engines and some of the electronics, etc.

The only doubts I have is that it's so big and can carry 840 people that if one comes down, the death toll will be hideous.

Posts: 134 | From: Isle of Wight | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-27-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sea Wanderer:
A fantasic thing for Europe and it really is a true pan-European effort too. The UK made the wings, engines and some of the electronics, etc.

The only doubts I have is that it's so big and can carry 840 people that if one comes down, the death toll will be hideous.

The A380 is really a fantastic European achievment. Now Europe is not only dominating in building passenger ships, but could clearly demonstrates it`s leading role in the avionic industry. (...fusion being the next field to continue European lead )

If I remeber right, the highest death toll in an aircraft accident was a collision of two 747 on an airport on the canary islands - comparable to number of passengeres one A380 can transport. Let`s hope an accident like this will not happen.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 04-27-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

The A380 is really a fantastic European achievment. Now Europe is not only dominating in building passenger ships, but could clearly demonstrates it`s leading role in the avionic industry. (...fusion being the next field to continue European lead )

If I remeber right, the highest death toll in an aircraft accident was a collision of two 747 on an airport on the canary islands - comparable to number of passengeres one A380 can transport. Let`s hope an accident like this will not happen.

Sadly this was a Dutch American affair it was at Teneriff Airport inn the summer off 1977. It was between a KLM Royal Dutch Airline and a PANAM Airliner. Both airliners where rerouted that day as many other because a Spanich airport close down fore a terrorist treat i believ.

The PANAM machine was carrier passengers who where going on a cruise. The KLM machine was also carrier holiday makers back to Amsterdam.

To make it short the Captain off the KLM machine made a huge misstake and take off without permission. The result we all no all passengers off the KLM machine died and i believe no more thene 60 off PANAM servived.

It was so tragic i was 6 years old and remember the rememberens service inn one off the KLM hangars at Schiphol airport. Hundreds off coffins where standing there brown fore the man and white fore the woman. It was a very very very sad images that till today i canot remove it frome my mind. Imagen those who left behind and was at that service.

Ben.

[ 04-27-2005: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 04-27-2005 07:22 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So now a happyer post. Its amazing how such a giant cane flay. But hey some poeple say that also about big ships.

It was very impressif to see here flay obvious a great day fore pan European airline industry.
Amazing that Europe became a leader inn passenger transportation by sea and air.

Greatings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-27-2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
...comparable to number of passengeres one A380 can transport. Let`s hope an accident like this will not happen.

Unfortunately it will sooner or later, in the same way that hundreds of thausands or people will continue to die on the roads. It's an Inevitable fact of modern transport.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-27-2005 09:07 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It certainly is no beauty. Time for Boeing to step up to the plate and build a better plane. Give me a 777 any day!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 04-27-2005 09:25 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can just see:

The jam-ups at Customs and Immigration;
The jam-ups outbound from the US at the security inspections; and, worst of all.

All 800 plus passengers staring at the luggage carousels as bag after bag after bag....etc.

Give me the smaller aircraft any day.

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-27-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
I can just see:

The jam-ups at Customs and Immigration;
The jam-ups outbound from the US at the security inspections; and, worst of all.

All 800 plus passengers staring at the luggage carousels as bag after bag after bag....etc.

Give me the smaller aircraft any day.

That is what I thought as well. Here in L.A. when 3 or 4 747-400s arrive at the international terminal at the same time, the terminal is overloaded. I guess it is a sign of the times in travel to get as many bodies packed into a huge plane.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 04-27-2005 10:13 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think 583 people lost their lives in that tragic event at Tenerife. I’ll get to see more about that story next week when Air Crash Investigation airs an episode on TV. Malcolm, as you said, accidents are inevitable in transport. Unfortunately we need to blame ourselves, as most are through human error. Let’s hope we are the wiser.

The real test for the A380 is when it will have its first full load of passengers. Cambodge hit the nail on the head in his post, the logistics!

Lasuvidaboy, I also like the triple sevens. We now feverishly await Boeing’s 787 (7E7).

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 04-27-2005 10:37 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Economies of Scale will win in the end! That is why we see a380. Qantas' 12 will only carry 500 pax.
Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 04-27-2005 11:18 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Chris Cunard wrote:
...Qantas' 12 will only carry 500 pax.

And Singapore Airlines will carry even less. Makes you wonder whether the A380 is really worth it. Airbus needs about a further 100 orders to break even. For their sake let's hope it works out.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 04-28-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

(Who was it that said he engines were not powerful enough to get her off the ground? )

Noone said that. Your memory is failing you in your old age. What I did say a few months ago was that they still have to prove that they can get it off the ground. They have now done that. But now they have to see if they can get it off the ground with a full passenger and fuel load...there were only 6 on board today (all equippped with parachutes). So far, so good but there is still a long way to go before they deliver the first plane to a customer.

Last year someone on CT suggested the SAA would be a good candidate for their daily London to Johannesburgh flights. However SAA Have no plans to buy the A380. Their fleet renewal plans are known up to 2011. They are going to an all Airbus fleet and will be using A340-300's and A340-600's on all their transoceanic and intercontinental flights, but no A380's. All of their 747's will be disposed of.

Meanwhile Air Canada is going the other direction. They will be replacing all of their Airbus A340's and A330's with Boeing 777-200 ER's. (Their aging B767's will be replaced with B787's).

Cruise-related question: How many A380's does it take to fill QM2?

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-28-2005 12:33 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:

But now they have to see if they can get it off the ground with a full passenger and fuel load...

Will they all get parachutes as standard issue too?

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 04-28-2005 12:40 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ben:

The Tenerife disaster was in March 1977, not summer. Fortunately for airline passengers that airport is no longer used by commercial aircraft because it is fogged in so much. The frequent fog makes it the worst location on Tenerife to have an airport. A new commercial airport was built elsewhere on the island a few years later.

Brian

P.S. Almost forgot. The PanAm plane was a charter carrying a group from the US who were going on a cruise aboard Golden Odyssey.

[ 04-28-2005: Message edited by: Brian_O ]

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 04-28-2005 01:29 AM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ben,

Here is a link to a thread on Air Disaster in Canary Islands.

[ 04-28-2005: Message edited by: Ocean Liners ]

Posts: 4502 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-28-2005 03:31 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

[...] But now they have to see if they can get it off the ground with a full passenger and fuel load...there were only 6 on board today (all equippped with parachutes). So far, so good but there is still a long way to go before they deliver the first plane to a customer.
[...] Brian

We have 2005: do you really expect that a new plan is not taking off on it`s maiden flight? But if you need such proofs - The A380 was flying with a typical take off weight on it`s maiden flight - additional to the test equipment there were 22 t of ballast (water) aboard.

[ 04-28-2005: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 04-28-2005 04:45 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Cunard:
Qantas' 12 will only carry 500 pax.
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:
And Singapore Airlines will carry even less. Makes you wonder whether the A380 is really worth it. Airbus needs about a further 100 orders to break even. For their sake let's hope it works out.
Carrying fewer than the maximum number of passengers actually increases the chances of the aircraft making money for the airlines. Both airlines already operate 747s and other aircraft well below their maximum numerical capacity.

The masses down the back only pay the costs of operating the aircraft. The profit is made from the low-density high-yield premium cabins. If you filled the aircraft with the maximum number of economy class seats, that's when you'd be struggling to make money.

In fact, QF is doing quite well at the moment from having taken about 15 seats out of their 747s. This was to install the new generation flat (wedgie) business class seat. Yields have gone up, probably rather more than the reduction in capacity.

quote:
What I did say a few months ago was that they still have to prove that they can get it off the ground. They have now done that. But now they have to see if they can get it off the ground with a full passenger and fuel load...there were only 6 on board today (all equippped with parachutes). So far, so good but there is still a long way to go before they deliver the first plane to a customer.
I don't think you or anyone seriously believes that the aircraft will not fly with a full load. While it's always an interesting and sometimes exciting event to see a first flight, modern airliners do not fail to get off the ground.

The real questions in the flight testing are whether the extremes of the envelope are where they were designed to be, whether there are unpredicted handling issues in various corners, and what the fuel consumption numbers are like in real life. The last bit is critical to the question of whether the aircraft will make money - for the airlines or for Airbus. Everything else is tweaking.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-28-2005 04:55 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

That is what I thought as well. Here in L.A. when 3 or 4 747-400s arrive at the international terminal at the same time, the terminal is overloaded. I guess it is a sign of the times in travel to get as many bodies packed into a huge plane.

I also do not like this trend. But finally the A380 is not that much bigger than the 747 (the design has more potential to be enlarges, tough) - instead of three 747 there will be two A380. (we will not see that many planes with max. capacity - BTW: If I remeber right, there was a (crazy) flight with a 747 with really a lot of passengers (1000?) to Mekka - i don`t want to know what happens with an A380)

First Class Passenger
Member # 5115

posted 04-28-2005 11:09 AM      Profile for 6263866   Email 6263866   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I highly doubt(hope) that airlines won't filll the 380 the max capacity around 800 people, but wouldn't that dramatically affet the weight?
Posts: 580 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-28-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When most people book a flight, they base there choice on 'price' and not type of aircraft or number of seats. Therefore it would seem to make good business sense to fill the A380 with as many seats as possible. O'k. very long haul flights might give you a few more inches leg room, but it is all about 'bums on seats', is it not?
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 04-28-2005 02:16 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
When most people book a flight, they base there choice on 'price' and not type of aircraft or number of seats. Therefore it would seem to make good business sense to fill the A380 with as many seats as possible. O'k. very long haul flights might give you a few more inches leg room, but it is all about 'bums on seats', is it not?
This largely only applies to those of us down the back who are cost-paying fodder, and who will just get given what is standard product for that carrier at that time.

Anyway, the A380 will mostly be operating long-haul to very-long-haul sectors - I suspect that few will be less than 7 hours and many will be more than 12. I think the shortest initial A380 sector will probably be LHR-JFK, followed by the stub ends of the Kangaroo route from SIN and BKK to MEL and SYD.

But most of all, the profitable passengers certainly do try to pick on the basis of seat, comfort and service. And seating density is a big factor in this. That's where the main reduction in numbers comes from - eg putting a dozen first class seats in a space into which you could get four or five times that number of economy passengers. Or compare the two configurations of BA's 747. One has 32 business class seats in Zone C of the main deck. The other effectively replaces them with 100 more economy seats.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.