- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Technically Speaking   » A New Queen... (Page 5)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: A New Queen...
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 06-07-2005 03:48 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseshipluver:
......another side question.............what ever happned with that project BOEING had with its super cruiser....i think it was a delta shaped wing design somthing like the Concorde......
The project was cancelled because Boeing's research and soundings (and those of its customers) showed that passengers were not prepared to pay enough for the extra speed that the Sonic Cruiser would have brought.

Boeing then went to Plan B, then called the 7E7, later christened the Dreamliner, and finally launched as the 787.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 06-09-2005 11:32 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:
The Air Canada order consists of firm orders for 18 B777's and 14 B787's (32 planes in all) plus options for 64 more planes in a mix of 777's and 787's that has yet to be determined.

This entire deal is now in doubt. It was reported in Thursday's Business Section of the Montreal Gazette that the deal is contingent on Air Canada striking a deal with the pilots' union over wage scales for the new planes that would not eat up the savings that the deal offered. Air Canada and the pilots' union have hit an impasse in their negotiations. There is a possibilty that Air Canada will cancel the deal tomorrow (Friday), the last day that they can do so without incurring a penalty.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 06-19-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Air Canada cancelled the entire order on June 18 after the pilots voted against the agreement that the pilots association had negotiated on June 8. Air Canada will not pay any penalty since Boeing had agreed on June 9 to extend the penalty-free cancellation deadline from June 10 until after the vote.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 10-14-2005 03:07 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A380 to visit Australia next month
October 14, 2005

To celebrate Qantas’ 85th birthday next month, the airline said it would bring the A380 to Australia.

Qantas ceo Geoff Dixon said the aircraft would visit Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

“The aircraft has been generating enormous interest within the aviation industry and the wider community since it was launched by Airbus in the late 1990s,” Dixon said.

The first A380, MSN-001, which has been involved in Airbus's A380 flight test program, will arrive in Australia in the lead up to Qantas' birthday on November 16.

Other plans for the celebration include a special dinner for 600 guests in the airline’s new aircraft maintenance hangar at Brisbane Airport on November 15, with Qantas ambassador John Travolta.

Qantas will take delivery of the first of its 12 A380s in April 2007.

Reed Business Information

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 10-14-2005 04:18 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is fantastic news! It will be great to see her in Australia - Qantas has 12 (??) on order...
Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 10-16-2005 01:23 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Chris wrote:
That is fantastic news! It will be great to see her in Australia - Qantas has 12 (??) on order...

We here have just inaugurated our new $AUD260million terminal. It’s specifically designed to accommodate A380s, so it is a little disappointing that there won’t be a visit here. Also Perth will miss out. Maybe we’ll just have to wait until Singapore Airlines, who will receive their A380s before Qantas, to fly here, that’s if they do of course.

Cheers

Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 10-16-2005 09:43 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey People:

As the moderator of a postings-bereft, "Rail Talk," does not all of this palaver belong in "Air Talk?"

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 10-17-2005 01:26 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
Hey People:

As the moderator of a postings-bereft, "Rail Talk," does not all of this palaver belong in "Air Talk?"

No. It belongs where it gets posted. It is merely one thread among thousands on Cruise Talk, so one can hardly claim that it is compromising the "purity" of this forum. How many of the posters (all regular CTers) in this thread even belong to, or even wish to belong to, Air Talk. The official moderators of this forum have chosen to let this thread stand. Perhaps they realize that suggesting that CTers take this particular discussion elsewhere is the type of over-moderation that kills discussion boards.

Brian

[ 10-17-2005: Message edited by: Brian_O ]

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 10-17-2005 01:54 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Cambodge wrote:

It should, but I agree with what Brian said. Unfortunately not too many people take a look at Air Talk. I post there, so if anyone finds a topic or piece of news worthy of debate or comment, please leave your two cents worth.

Cheers

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 10-19-2005 02:59 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A380 to go on world tour
October 18, 2005

ASIA will get its first glimpse of the world's largest airliner, the double-decker Airbus A380, when it visits Singapore next month.

In a company press release, Airbus said the plane would also make stops in Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane before going on display at the Dubai airshow in the second half of November.

The visits will mark the first time the Airbus A380 will be seen outside of Europe.

Sixteen airlines have already placed orders for 159 Airbus A380s.

SchedNet

Cheers

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-28-2005 05:34 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*Airbus to Build Seven Story Airliner*

*Passengers will have choice of restaurants, theatres and bowling.*

*TOULOUSE, FRANCE ~ With delivery of its first 555-passenger ten-deck commercial airliner expected to take place next year, Airbus announced today that it has initiated preliminary studies for the design and manufacture a 2600-passenger airplane.*

*The aircraft on the drawing board will have ten decks ~ seven for passengers, three for cargo and baggage. A prototype of the new aircraft, based on the company's Super Transporter design, will be called the "Airbus A390." *

*The plane is targeted for international service of flights of over 9,000 nautical miles (about 16,600 kilometers). The A390 will be powered by four Rolls-Royce turbofan engines developing thrust of over 200,000 lb each. According to a company spokesman, Jean-Claude Randele, "The break-even point for operating the airplane will be at a passenger load of about 1760 passengers."*
*Mr. Randele also noted, "Flights in the 9,000 miles-plus range are expected to take 16 hours or longer so the A390 will include lots of amenities to help the passengers pass the time." *

*Among the features proposed for the future aircraft are six restaurants, three duty free shops, a lounge with a discothèque, two full-sized movie theatres, a 14-lane bowling alley, a swimming pool with water slides, a wedding chapel, a fully functional medical clinic, and a full 18-hole pitch n' putt golf course.*

*Mr. Randele said that two major international carriers have already placed orders and that the new jets are scheduled to begin service in late summer 2008.*

[ 10-28-2005: Message edited by: eroller ]

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-28-2005 05:46 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:

Plus, U.S. carriers have the coach section of 777's configured in that awful 2-5-2 layout. British Airways on the other hand, has the more sensible 3-3-3 configuration going in their coach cabins.

FYI, all Delta 777's now have a 3-3-3 configuration in coach. Also added to each plane is an upstairs crew rest cabin, with six bunks and two Business Elite seats.

Ernie

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-28-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

FYI, all Delta 777's now have a 3-3-3 configuration in coach. Also added to each plane is an upstairs crew rest cabin, with six bunks and two Business Elite seats.

Ernie

I saw United's crew rest area on their long haul 777s. It was a former cargo hold and not very inviting.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-28-2005 06:45 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

I saw United's crew rest area on their long haul 777s. It was a former cargo hold and not very inviting.

Ours is really, really nice. Interestingly enough, it's up above the main cabin and not below. Who knew there was so much space up there?

Ernie

First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 10-30-2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

Ours is really, really nice. Interestingly enough, it's up above the main cabin and not below. Who knew there was so much space up there?

Ernie

I wonder if Delta will keep the 3-3-3 after they re-organise to get out of Chapter 11?

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-30-2005 07:02 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris:

I wonder if Delta will keep the 3-3-3 after they re-organise to get out of Chapter 11?

I can't imagine why not. The capacity is the same whether it's 2-5-2 or 3-3-3. The fact is that both the passengers and crew prefer a 3-3-3 configuration.

Ernie

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 10-31-2005 06:18 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have travelled in both configurations on B-777s: 2-5-2 on MAS and 3-3-3 on SIA. Which do I prefer? I think the 3-3-3 is best, but if I always got the two seats at the windows in the 2-5-2 I would be happy. It would be terrible if you flew single and you got the middle seat in the 5-row. To get out would you always choose one side or would you try to balance it out, a bit on each side? Embarrassing isn't it.

Cheers

[ 10-31-2005: Message edited by: bulbousbow ]

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 10-31-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:
I have travelled in both configurations on B-777s: 2-5-2 on MAS and 3-3-3 on SIA. Which do I prefer? I think the 3-3-3 is best, but if I always got the two seats at the windows in the 2-5-2 I would be happy. It would be terrible if you flew single and you got the middle seat in the 5-row. To get out would you always choose one side or would you try to balance it out, a bit on each side? Embarrassing isn't it.

Cheers

What's wrong with the middle seat in 5-row? Better to be the climber than the climbee.

Brian

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-31-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have been 'stuck' in one of these 5 rows on a Delta 777 when travelling alone. Not the middle but the 4th seat. So the middle person climbed over, and I had to climb over just one person. It was awful.. all 5 people in the centre were 'alone' travellers. Both people either side of me decided my side arm rest was theirs. I have also been stuck in a 5 row when travelling alone with the daughter who was then 2 1/2, in the middle and seat 4, this was a DC10 IIRC at that time. No-one would swap [couldn't blame them], there were no spare seats, and each time she wanted the toilet we both had to get out over a grumpy old man, who would not get up to let us out, but insisted on remaining in his seat.

I am glad there are few, if any, 5 seat a row configs left.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 11-02-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
A380 three city tour details
November 2, 2005

Confirmation of the arrival dates for the visit by the Airbus A380, as part of the celebration of Qantas' 85th birthday, has been published.

The world's largest passenger aircraft will first arrive in Brisbane Friday evening  November 11.

The aircraft will remain there before departing early Sunday morning for Sydney.

On Monday November 14 it will make an early morning departure from Sydney for Melbourne and on the morning of November 15 will return to Brisbane.

The aircraft will then depart Brisbane early on Wednesday November 16.

"We have worked closely with Airbus to make this visit a reality. This is the first time the A380 has left Europe," Qantas CEO Geoff Dixon said.

Qantas will take delivery of the first of its dozen A380s in April 2007.

TravelMole

Cheers

Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 11-03-2005 12:07 AM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Japanese contracts for $650 million of A380 parts.

According to the Wichita Business Journal April 7 2002 Japanese suppliers have signed $650 worth of contracts with Airbus for the construction of its A380 super jumbo jet.

The hope is that having Japanese suppliers on board the project will influence Japanese air carriers to buy the jet, which, as planned, is bigger than a Boeing 747-400, now the largest passenger jet in use.

Typically, Japanese airlines have favored Boeing aircraft for their fleets.

-ANA firm order for 50 7E7s and broad market appeal drives decision
-Launch order is the largest ever for a new Boeing jet

SEATTLE, April 26, 2004 - The Boeing Company's [NYSE: BA] board of directors has approved the formal launch of the new 7E7 Dreamliner passenger jet based on today's firm order for 50 7E7s from ANA (All Nippon Airways) and the overall strong business case for the new airplane. The ANA order is the largest launch order in history for a new Boeing commercial jet.

The deal for 50 7E7 airplanes is worth approximately US$6 billion at list prices. ANA is scheduled to begin taking deliveries of the 7E7 in 2008.

"Airline interest in the 7E7 has been extraordinary. The size and speed of this order validates our view of the market and demonstrates the tremendous demand for the performance and value provided by the 7E7," said Alan Mulally, president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

Boeing and Japan Airlines Complete 787 and 737 Agreements

SEATTLE, May 9, 2005--Boeing [NYSE: BA] and Japan Airlines (JAL) completed contracts for 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliners and 30 Next-Generation 737-800 passenger airplanes, agreements worth $5.3 billion at list prices. JAL also has options for 20 more 787s and 10 more 737s.

Japan Airlines sees the 787 Dreamliner as its next generation mid-sized twin aisle airplane, replacing Boeing 767s and Airbus A300-600s. The 737s will replace and expand JAL's single-aisle fleet. JAL announced it had selected the 787 last December and the 737 in February.

"This is a very special day for Boeing and Japan Airlines, two great companies that are working together to build the future and who share a solid understanding of the aviation market," said Boeing Commercial Airplanes Vice President for Sales Larry Dickenson. "The 787 will provide JAL the best in efficiency, economics, and reliability for medium-to-long-range operations, and the 737 provides the lowest operating costs with the best reliability in its class."

JAL is one of 20 airlines that have announced orders and commitments for 255 Dreamliners. Completing the JAL agreement brings to 112 the number of 787s under firm contract. The 787 will be the key airplane on several of JAL's domestic and international routes. The 787 will "provide outstanding flexibility in route planning and a wonderful flying experience for passengers," according to Japan Airlines.

The airline selected the 737 because of its confidence in the airplane's technology, flexibility, reliability, and economic and environmental performance.

The 787 family includes three airplanes seating 200 to 300 passengers that fly between 3,500 and 8,500 nautical miles (6,500 to 16,000 kilometers). The 787 will use 20 percent less fuel than today's comparable airplanes and will offer passengers a new interior environment with higher humidity levels, wider seats and aisles, larger windows, and other conveniences.

Boeing launched the 787 in April 2004. Production will begin in 2006. First flight is expected in 2007 with certification, delivery and entry into service in 2008.

The Next-Generation 737 features the newest technology in its class and is the category leader in reliability and operating costs. The 737-800 generates more revenue than the A320 by carrying up to 12 more passengers and approximately one-half ton more cargo. Its industry-leading reliability rate, fuel efficient performance, and quick turn-around time make it ideal for airlines around the world.

Airbus Rejected by Japan's Manufacturers

By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer
Wed Oct 26, 6:23 AM ET

TOKYO - Japan's top three manufacturers have so far rejected offers from Airbus of contract work on the planned A350 jets, citing their order commitments to rival Boeing Co., Airbus Chief Executive Gustav Humbert said Wednesday.

Airbus was still hopeful Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. and Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd. may change their minds, he said at a seminar for executives at a Tokyo hotel.

The Japanese manufacturers make components for Boeing planes — including the wing for the new 787 — and are heavily involved in the design of the aircraft as well*.

The European aircraft maker will be talking with other smaller Japanese companies to try to draw their interest in a partnership, he said.

*During the next 20 years, Japan is expected to be one of the largest non-U.S. purchasers of commercial transports. Boeing expects that Japanese airlines will require 1,176 airplanes, valued at approximately $147 billion (in 2003 dollars) during this period.

Japan is also a dominant market (in dollar value) from which Boeing buys major assemblies, products and services. More than 91 Japanese companies are program partners, subcontractors, or suppliers to Boeing across its commercial-airplane product lines.

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI), Kawasaki Heavy Industries (KHI) and Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) have worked with Boeing for more than 30 years. All three industries have participated in developing the 767 since its inception in 1978. They supply fuselage panels, aerodynamic fairings, landing-gear doors and inspar ribs, which are equal to approximately 15 percent of the value of the 767 airframe.

MHI, KHI, and FHI are also program partners on the 777. They participated in designing, manufacturing and testing of portions of the 777 airframe structure in the early 1990s and now supply about 20 percent of airframe, including fuselage panels and doors, the wing center section, the wing-to-body fairing and the wing inspar ribs. This 777 work package represents a significant increase from that of the 767. MHI, KHI and FHI will continue to work with Boeing for the duration of the 777 program. In addition, MHI, KHI, and FHI are also program partners on the 787 Dreamliner and will supply about 35 percent of airframe.

Other components provided by Japanese firms for Boeing commercial-airplane models include gear boxes, trailing-edge flaps, lavatories, altimeters, actuators, valves and video entertainment systems. For the 787 Dreamliner, Toray Industries provides composite materials for use in the primary structural area, JAMCO Corporation will provide lavatories, flight deck interiors – including a stowage area, linings and the stowage consoles near the seats – and the flight deck door and bulkhead assembly as well as Bridgestone will provide tires.

Additionally, Boeing Commercial Airplanes officials signed formal contracts with Japan Aircraft Development Corp. (JADC) to conduct research and development work on technologies including composites for the 787. JAI includes Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Kawasaki Heavy Industries and Fuji Heavy Industries.

The 787 will be a super-efficient airplane that can carry 223 to 259 passengers in tri-class configurations. It flies up to 8,500 nautical miles with bringing the economics and comfort of large jet transports to the middle of the market, using 20 percent less fuel than any other airplane.

[ 11-03-2005: Message edited by: Ocean Liners ]

Posts: 4502 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 11-03-2005 10:58 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Emirates ups the ante
November 3, 2005

Emirates Airlines continues to play up its interest in the Australian market with claims yesterday that they are looking at a stretch version of the new Airbus A380.

The base model now in development will carry up to 550 passengers in a three-class cabin, but Emirates is already looking beyond that with an eye to the long haul Australian traveller, to a super 750 seater configuration.

Emirates president Tim Clark said yesterday bigger aircraft offered more efficiency and cheaper fares.

"The design lends itself to a stretch straight away," he said.

"If Airbus said they're going to launch it, I think Emirates would be queuing up to be one of the first to take it."

Dubai-based Emirates has ordered 45 A 380's, compared to Qantas' 12, with the first passenger flights due in early 2007.

TravelMole

Cheers

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 11-05-2005 09:16 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Engine problems delay Airbus
November 5, 2005

Airbus has delayed the departure from France of the Airbus A380, the world's largest passenger aircraft, on its way to Singapore, Australia and Malaysia, because of engine problems.

"At the request of Rolls-Royce, as a precautionary measure, two Trent 900 engines are being replaced on A380 number one," Airbus said in a statement.

While Singapore will still be the first stop, due to Singapore Airlines purchase of 10 A380's, instead of making Malaysia the second stop, the aircraft will first fly to Sydney, then to Melbourne and Brisbane to participate in the 85th birthday celebrations of Australia's national flag carrier Qantas, which has also ordered new A380s.

"Airbus and Rolls-Royce have made us aware of the technical issues that will lead to the visit of the A380 being deferred by a few days," SIA spokesman Stephen Fornshaw told The Straits Times.

"Knowing that the aircraft is in its testing phase, the deferral is for prudent reasons," he added.

TravelMole

Cheers

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 11-11-2005 12:28 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Air Canada cancelled the entire order on June 18 after the pilots voted against the agreement that the pilots association had negotiated on June 8.

The AC/Boeing deal is back on. Air Canada signed the final sales agreement on Wednesday. The order is for 18 777's and 14 787's with options on 18 more 777's and 46 more 787s. The 777's will be in an as yet to be specified mix of 777-200LR's. 777-300ER's and the recently announced 777 freighter. The first 6 777's will be delivered over a 5 month period starting in March 2007 and the first 787's will be delivered in 2010.

In a related story, a 777-200LR flew non-stop from Hong Kong to London this week, crossing the Pacific Ocean, North America and Atlantic Ocean in the process. The 21,600 Km flight took 22 hours and 42 minutes and the plane landed at Heathrow on Wednesday with 2 hours worth of fuel left in the tanks. For those who can afford it, the idea of flying half-way round the world to take a cruise just became a lot more attractive.

Brian

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 11-11-2005 01:49 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
In a related story, a 777-200LR flew non-stop from Hong Kong to London this week, crossing the Pacific Ocean, North America and Atlantic Ocean in the process. The 21,600 Km flight took 22 hours and 42 minutes... Brian

I just CANNOT fathom being on an aiplane for nearly 23 hours non-stop! Could you honestly sit for 23 hours on a plane? Not me.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.