- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Technically Speaking   » A New Queen... (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: A New Queen...
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 04-29-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOLLOLLOL.........i litterally waked up my parents laughing at that *AIR/CRUISESHIP* that Pam posted.....that is jus so tite........that is a real good joke

A question Pam- wen will the balconies be used???...in taxi mode and as u board the plane and enter your room????LOL
LOLlLOLLOL
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 05-01-2005 01:00 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:

The 777 was NOT a correction of any errors made with the 767. Not at all.

The sales figures back your assessment so I don't know where Ernst got that misinformed idea. As of March 31, 2005 Boeing had delivered 926 B767's to 66 different airlines with a further 20 on order.

The 767 (and 757) were designed to meet what Boeing's customers perceived to be their needs in the late 70's and the sales figure for both reflect Boeing's success in addressing those needs.

12 years after the 767 project started, Boeing inititiated the 777 project...a different plane for a different time and a different purpose using newer technology. As of the end of March 2005, 507 planes had been delivered to 38 airlines with another 174 on order.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2005 01:40 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:

The sales figures back your assessment so I don't know where Ernst got that misinformed idea. As of March 31, 2005 Boeing had delivered 926 B767's to 66 different airlines with a further 20 on order.

The 767 (and 757) were designed to meet what Boeing's customers perceived to be their needs in the late 70's and the sales figure for both reflect Boeing's success in addressing those needs.

12 years after the 767 project started, Boeing inititiated the 777 project...a different plane for a different time and a different purpose using newer technology. As of the end of March 2005, 507 planes had been delivered to 38 airlines with another 174 on order.

Brian

The 767 has a too narrow hull for the standard cargo container introduced with/for the 747.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 05-01-2005 03:07 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

The 767 has a too narrow hull for the standard cargo container introduced with/for the 747.

So what? It wasn't designed to be substituted for a 747. It was designed in consultation with Boeing's customers to fill a certain segment of the market and it has done that admirably for over 20 years. The criticism is after the fact nonsense, pure and simple.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2005 05:07 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:

So what? It wasn't designed to be substituted for a 747. It was designed in consultation with Boeing's customers to fill a certain segment of the market and it has done that admirably for over 20 years. The criticism is after the fact nonsense, pure and simple.

Brian

But her competitors could/can carry such containers, which is not really a disadvantage.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-01-2005 05:57 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I think you are all wrong and all right.. in parts The original idea/plans of the 777 announced in the 70s was ditched due to design/engine problems. Then years later Boeing found themselves with a big hole in their fleet due to the A330/350 they set about designing a stretched 767.. then the consulatations with the airlines; they did not want a stretched 767, but wanted a 747 type fuselage, partly as the narrower 767 did have cargo restraints/limitations. Hence the as we know it 777 was born.

I do look at what aircraft is supposed to be flying a route when I book a flight, but they often change schedules. I do not base whatever flight I book, on the aircraft [in general], and I don't think many would, except real plane nuts

I have once, chosen one flight over another, on aircraft choice, but as on the same route and same price, just different airlines, it made no difference, just 777s kill my ears [to screaming point], so I am told due to a faster rate of descent [whether this be the aircraft itself or just the flights I've been on I don't know, but after 3 it has put me off, as it never happens on anything else]. From a pax comfort point of view, I found the 777 better than the 767, but obviously that is also due to the specific airline as well as the aircraft, and I can only recall, the worst 767 flight, which was squashed in the middle of the middle row on Delta.

Nothing will ever beat the Tristar.. my last flight aboard was Delta again, TPA/ATL not long before they were finally withdrawn.. that was a nice roomy surprise, as I had no idea that was the aircraft until I saw it... bit OT here

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2005 06:07 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One could say that the Lockheed Tristar was the last really well engineered civil plane from the United States.
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 05-01-2005 08:30 AM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
One could say that the Lockheed Tristar was the last really well engineered civil plane from the United States.

though that may be tru the tristar was a rather slow arcraft in comparision to other aircraft.......eg
Barbados to trinidad is 230 miles.......and takes an A-340-300 .......32mins.......... by the L-1011 it takes 55 mins.
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-01-2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseshipluver:

though that may be tru the tristar was a rather slow arcraft in comparision to other aircraft.......eg
Barbados to trinidad is 230 miles.......and takes an A-340-300 .......32mins.......... by the L-1011 it takes 55 mins.
cruiseshipluver

Don`t take that too seriouse. I guess (only guess) the A340 is climbing quicker.

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 05-01-2005 04:50 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseshipluver:

cruiseshipluver

The now discontinued L1011 had a cruising speed of in the range of 882-893 kph depending on model, the A340-300 has a crusing speed 869 kph (figures courtesy of Air Canada). It isn't the cruising speed of the planes that causes the differences.

Brian

[ 05-01-2005: Message edited by: Brian_O ]

First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 05-02-2005 02:32 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

I think Concorde had plenty of appeal.

Qantas, and a number of US airlines had orders for Concorde - it was the US Government that killed it's orders with their anti-Concorde legislation to try and boost the US driven SST programme... After that the costs per aircraft increased and airlines like Qantas pulled out.

I am not aware of 787 holding more orders then A380 ?

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 05-02-2005 02:37 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Am I right in thinking that Airbus now sells more Aircraft than Boeing or am I dreaming?

Malcolm: You are correct - Airbus is currently the leading commercial airplane builder world wide.

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 05-03-2005 01:05 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
I came across this on the web.. Funship A380?

Pam

Great Pam.

You now that Carnival also operate a airline Air Carnival ore Carnival airlines? So i would not surpriced iff they would order a 380 with balconies .

My favorit airliners is the Fokker commercial airliners F50 (prop) F100 and the F70 sadly as Fokker is no more but there airliners are stil flaying. And maybe in the near futere Fokker will return with the F70 and F100.

The long haul airliner is the DC 10 ore MDF 11 (same plane)

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 05-03-2005 03:57 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
SQ A380 delivery further delayed
May 3, 2005

Delivery of Singapore Airlines’ first Airbus A380 aircraft has been further delayed by several months.

It is now expected the airline will introduce the aircraft in October next year. Exact timing of delivery is still uncertain following a number of delays.

The carrier had originally hoped to enter the aircraft into service during the second quarter of 2006. This was later revised to the middle of next year after delivery was pushed back to June.

SQ ordered 10 A380s in 2000, with options for another 15.

The airline intends to use a three-class configuration comprising 480 seats. The first A380 commercial flight in the world is expected to be on SQ’s Singapore-Sydney route.

It is unclear how the delay will affect Qantas and Emirates, which were the two airlines after SQ originally scheduled to receive the new aircraft in October 2006.

Reed Business Information

If I am not wrong Singapore Airlines was to be the first airline to receive the A380. Does this mean there will be delays flowing on to other operators?

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-03-2005 07:45 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
No thank you.

Hey CGT, how's this for your worst nightmare:

One day not so far away, you will be able to fly on an A380 to a port and then cruise onboard a 'Freedom class' or the 'Pinnacle' project!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 05-03-2005 09:37 AM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The oil crisis of the early 70's had more to do with the death of the concorde in the US and the rest of the world then anything else.

Airbus has lead commercial deliveries for 2 years, My guess is in a few years they will share the market nearly 50/50. One leading one year and the other the next. Boeing is more concerned about profitability, then sales leadership.

As for the L1011, I miss that plane. .the 727 as well, but I miss TWA too for that mater.

Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 05-03-2005 09:38 AM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Singapore Airlines will be the first to fly the A380, with Heathrow to Singapore and on to Sydney the first route. Having just got back from this route and airline, I can see the market on routes like that - slot congested airports and it makes more sense to put more passengers on each departure. The Singapore Airlines version is promising to be considerably more spacious than their 747-400s by virtue of the fact that the number of passengers is so small relative to the increased size of the plane. As others have noted though the nightmare will be at airports. Heathrow is busily building extra stands which will be capable of A380 acceptance but even when done there will only be 3 parking spaces (until terminal 5). The aircraft will have 3 airbridges, 2 lower deck and 1 upper, for loading and off loading passengers. Just imagine the typical Heathrow scenario where the previous aircraft is late departing so you are routed to another stand with only 1 airbridge, or worse still airstairs. Then 12 buses pull up to take everyone to the terminal eventually and you wait and wait by the baggage carousel. I hope that they do something like separate First/ Business and economy baggage onto different conveyors, otherwise everyone will wait forever. I don't see any airlines adding check in desks or lengthening baggage conveyors to handle this giant. Some airlines have specified the max number of seats for their versions of the plane (I think Emirates is going for a high density version for some shorter routes), with the effect that one may easily spend more time loading and unloading than flying!
A technical marvel sure, but Boeing could be onto something with their 787 point to point marvel. Once they can get it so the range is London - Sydney non stop BOTH ways then I think they'll sell quite a few for the kangaroo routes. However will they sell enough to justify the cost?

Personally I wish these companies would put their efforts into faster aircraft, rather than bigger or longer range. No matter what class or what airline flying is boring after the first 5 mins of take off, until the last 15 for landing. Nothing to see, nowhere to go and little to do.

Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-03-2005 09:48 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
No matter what class or what airline flying is boring after the first 5 mins of take off, until the last 15 for landing. Nothing to see, nowhere to go and little to do.

I could not agree more! I'm not scared of the plane crashing I fear the boerdom.

If it really is not possible to design an economic supersonic plane, how about much faster sub-sonic ones? I though Boeing were researching this?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-03-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I could not agree more! I'm not scared of the plane crashing I fear the boerdom.

If it really is not possible to design an economic supersonic plane, how about much faster sub-sonic ones? I though Boeing were researching this?

Much faster is not subsonic anymore. (The Boeing concept was a "little bit" faster)
There were concepts for Concorde versions with by-pass engines which can be switch to jet engines, like used on some Saab fighter jets. This would have been more economic and silent. Does anyone know how far the Japanese supersonic project is?

P.S.: One must not forget that more direct flights with smaller aeroplanes might be nicer, but is for sure more expensive and also causing more pollution.

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 05-04-2005 03:12 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:
If I am not wrong Singapore Airlines was to be the first airline to receive the A380. Does this mean there will be delays flowing on to other operators?
Airbus is at risk of a situation similar to that surrounding the introduction of the A340-600. Virgin was supposed to be the launch customer, but wanted to defer deliveries. That would have meant that Cathay Pacific would have become the first-in-service airline, which prospect gave it the screaming heebie-jeebies. The threat by CX to walk away was so real that Airbus threw a lot of money at VS to take the aircraft first, as originally planned. In the end, CX was proved right - the aircraft had a lot of teething problems.

I can well imagine Emirates and Qantas therefore deferring their deliveries themselves if SQ's deliveries are delayed.

quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
Personally I wish these companies would put their efforts into faster aircraft, rather than bigger or longer range. No matter what class or what airline flying is boring after the first 5 mins of take off, until the last 15 for landing. Nothing to see, nowhere to go and little to do.
But Boeing's tried it and found that it wouldn't make money. Passengers are just not prepared to pay more to fly a bit faster, and the speed of sound remains a very real problem for anything faster than that.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-04-2005 06:25 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunviking82:
The oil crisis of the early 70's had more to do with the death of the concorde in the US and the rest of the world then anything else.

Airbus has lead commercial deliveries for 2 years, My guess is in a few years they will share the market nearly 50/50. One leading one year and the other the next. Boeing is more concerned about profitability, then sales leadership.

As for the L1011, I miss that plane. .the 727 as well, but I miss TWA too for that mater.

That is so true. Boeing being a private company needs to look at the profitability of any new equipment where as Airbus does not. As for faster passenger aircraft, the market is not there. Fuel prices are up 50% over last year and fares are flat. The average passenger wants to pay less no more for air travel. The very wealthy fly on private jets so this segment is not an issue for the commercial carriers. The speed of commercial passenger jets has remained approx. the same for the last 50 years and most likely will not change.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 05-04-2005 11:15 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sunviking82:

As for the L1011, I miss that plane. .the 727 as well,

It is a damn shame that the L-1011 was so set back by the Rolls Royce engine problems otherwise she may have been able to compete effectively with the DC-10. The L-1011 sure was a better engineered plane to DC-10. MDC really did not sort out the DC-10 problems 'till years later with the MD-11... Ofcourse by then it was too late to capture the market from Boeing's 767 and Airbus A300 models which could by then make the transAtlantic with two engines rather then three.

727 was fantasitc... Our last one left in 1997 after serving with Ansett Australia - now also gone.

Chris.

[ 05-04-2005: Message edited by: Chris ]

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 05-05-2005 04:24 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
Boeing being a private company needs to look at the profitability of any new equipment where as Airbus does not.
Oh, really? That would come as news to all the private shareholders in the Airbus partners.

If this myth is being put about in the US, it has the same status as the one about all those bloated State-subsidised European airlines against whom the lean, mean and efficient American carriers must compete.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 05-05-2005 04:38 AM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Airbus is a public company. European governments give it aid to launch new products which has to be paid back - not gifts, loans. Boeing on the other hand benefits from bloated defence contracts with the US Government - another way of acheiving the same thing as a subsidy. And before jumping in and saying airbus does the same look at the track record of the UK Government, loads of our defence stuff is purchased from the US.
All this is a bit of a silly argument anyhow though because these companies no longer are manufacturing the aircraft, merely assembling them. There are large parts of every Airbus or Boeing aircraft which are originally manufactured outside US or Europe.

Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 05-11-2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So will Boeing bring out a 747-500? They are currently looking at a 747-Advanced to compete with A380. They had a 747-XXX programme in the 1990's but did not follow through. Will they now do you think?

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.