- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Norwegian Epic Images (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Norwegian Epic Images
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-03-2009 05:25 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NCL released "official" images of Norwegian Epic today:

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 03-03-2009 05:32 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Look like their Lego Set has no curved blocks...truly an unfortunate looking ship.
Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-03-2009 05:34 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Speechless!

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CliveB
First Class Passenger
Member # 6640

posted 03-03-2009 05:41 PM      Profile for CliveB     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it is time to turn the lights out and all go home!
Posts: 35 | From: Chatham, England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-03-2009 05:43 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In a word-ridiculous! That mess takes the cake for horrific exterior design and we've seen our share of beasts in the last 20-years!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 03-03-2009 05:46 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Surprise, surprise...

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-03-2009 05:59 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Its horrible!
I was holding on to some small desparate hope that the last renderings we saw, might be fakes but I guess not.

She would look a lot better without all the junk over the bridge. Also her funnel looks absolutely ridiculous. It looks like they couldn't find and funnel big enough so they got a block of steal and put a really small funnel on top.

The ugliness is Epic!

[ 03-03-2009: Message edited by: Cunard Fan ]

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 03-03-2009 06:07 PM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just tweeted my gueses as to whats gonna be on the Epic.
See here: http://twitpic.com/1ttjl
-Greg
twitter.com/cruiseind

[ 03-03-2009: Message edited by: GregD ]

Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 03-03-2009 07:00 PM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In an email from NCL they talk of it as being " strikingly contemporary in appearance ", and go on to say " Welcome to the future of cruise holidays with NCL ". How do you answer that
Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 03-03-2009 07:07 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As Barbara Walters would say when she is presented with a praticularly ugly/ odd looking baby:

Now THAT's a cruise ship

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Italianliners
First Class Passenger
Member # 5446

posted 03-03-2009 07:10 PM      Profile for Italianliners   Email Italianliners   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WOW! A really f***ing ugly ship! I don't think that an architect or even an engineer were in this project. Looks like a... well, i really don't know.

Italianliners

PS: Ok, there's one "good" thing. If the decks above the brige are cabins as GregD thinks, they would became one of the best along the sea.

Posts: 272 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-03-2009 07:12 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
'If that's the kind of cruise ship NCL wanted, they sure got a good one!'
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-03-2009 07:38 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I seriously choked when I saw the pictures. The side profile doesn't look too bad, but the 2nd picture just hits you how hideous she will be.
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-03-2009 07:51 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynaro:
The side profile doesn't look too bad, but the 2nd picture just hits you how hideous she will be.

That's what many people said when they saw the first Edsel.

H.M.S.Bonaventure
First Class Passenger
Member # 17509

posted 03-03-2009 08:14 PM      Profile for H.M.S.Bonaventure   Email H.M.S.Bonaventure   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow!!! I think that after having sailed on some really crappy cruise ships out there, including most of the "CLONES" of RCI, some Carnival, etc. that that is one amazing looking ship. After having sailed on a number of cruise ships (my favourite cruise line being NCL) I am actually looking forward to sailing on the Norwegian Epic when it comes out in 2010.

One thing I like about NCL is that they boldly go where most other cruise line dare to venture!!

Way to go NCL!!!!

HMS Bonaventure :cool:

Posts: 13 | From: Toronto, Ontario Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-03-2009 08:33 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by H.M.S.Bonaventure:
Wow!!! I think that after having sailed on some really crappy cruise ships out there, including most of the "CLONES" of RCI, some Carnival, etc. that that is one amazing looking ship. After having sailed on a number of cruise ships (my favourite cruise line being NCL) I am actually looking forward to sailing on the Norwegian Epic when it comes out in 2010.

One thing I like about NCL is that they boldly go where most other cruise line dare to venture!!

Way to go NCL!!!!

HMS Bonaventure

Hmmm looking at you're profile you are interested because it's you're work! Payed by NCL? The ship outside is one major disaster and browsing internet I have not seen one positive remark about the exterior of this vessel. But OK you like you like it taste is personal.

quote:
Bankruptcy?

Greetings Ben.

[ 03-03-2009: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joe1690
First Class Passenger
Member # 4889

posted 03-03-2009 09:03 PM      Profile for Joe1690     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, she is a true beauty. The architects must have spent years designing such a novel profile with so many curves and such a sleek appearance. This is a true trendsetter and will be the wave of the future for NCL and other cruise lines. They are sparing no expense to ensure that guests have a positive first impression when arriving at the port and seeing this amazingly stunning ship. Now, I just hope the interior looks at least half as good as the exterior. Disney and Royal will be truly sorry they didn't hire more experienced architects like NCL to design their latest ships. The Oasis doesn't hold a candle to this ship.

[ 03-03-2009: Message edited by: Joe1690 ]

Posts: 87 | From: King of Prussia, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 03-03-2009 09:33 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with many of the previous posts. The exterior styling of the ship is what gives the passengers their first impression. The ship should have somewhat mimicked the interior spaces such as the "wave" cabin design. Sometimes it is good to spend some extra money on designing and building a better ship overall.

I am not at all impressed by NCL's approach to advertising Epic, the whole thing has been a failure and hopefully they realize it before it's too late.

NCL really seems to be ran by kindergartners. It's a shame Knut Kloster's ideology has not been followed.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
geno-er
First Class Passenger
Member # 4202

posted 03-03-2009 09:40 PM      Profile for geno-er   Email geno-er   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My first thought "yuck"
Posts: 159 | From: Pocono's, Pa. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 03-03-2009 09:50 PM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The sad part is Apollo made changes already.
Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-03-2009 09:57 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WOW, leaves you pretty speechless doesn't it? Now for the icing on the cake just slap on some of NCL's hideous "hull art".

As usual, no expense was spared when it comes to NCL. The name of the ship in the rendering looks like it was pasted on by a three year old using photo shop. Pretty pathetic, but then again we know that NCL prides itself on attention to detail.

Seriously though I do look forward to sailing on this ship. It's true it's not a clone (thank GOD! - imagine 10 of these floating around) and that is a good thing. The cabins look amazing and I'm sure the public spaces will be interesting. This ship is really going to be high density though. NCL is packing them in.

What I would love to know is exactly what changes did Apollo implement compared to the original design? I mean if this is "after" months of negotiations with the shipyard, what was "before"?

Kudos to NCL for taking ship design to a new low! Just when we thought a newbuild couldn't get more boxy, along comes EPIC. Was there even an architect involved? Something tells me we won't be hearing too much about the designer of the ship's exterior. I mean who would associate their name with this thing? Talk about a career killer!

Ernie

[ 03-03-2009: Message edited by: eroller ]

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
miamicruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4413

posted 03-03-2009 10:22 PM      Profile for miamicruiser   Email miamicruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is hard to believe that this is being build by the same shipyard that built the Normandie, France, Sovereign of the Seas, QM2 and so many truly beautiful ships. NCL had the opportunity to do something spectacular and it has failed. If there was ever a ship that looks like it would capsize in a storm it has to be this one. Thank God there will only be one of these. On a good note, we only have to wait another couple of years before Disney completes what will most likely be the 2 most beautiful ships afloat.
Posts: 54 | From: miami | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 03-03-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is one fugly ship. I would hate to have my name associated with the design of that thing.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 03-03-2009 10:35 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sad.

One of the early pioneers of the cruising industry, and one of the greatest names in the business, has truly fallen behind. I would be very surprised if NCL survived the economic crisis...and that might be a merciful end to this legendary line.

Epic is what happens when a ship is designed purely with the bottom line in mind. Space is maximized with a boxy structure, cabins reduced in size to cram in more passengers, even the lifeboats are pushed out of the hull to make room for revenue producing space.

Add to the terrible design the fact that NCL will charge fees for EVERYTHING onboard, and it really has become a larger version of Easy Cruise.

Good heavens, NCL, just throw in the towel.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Jack McCoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5709

posted 03-03-2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Jack McCoy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Perhaps we should be glad the people responsible for this Epic abomination will not be defiling our ss United States. If that's what they do with a blank page, just imagine what they would have done to existing lines.
Posts: 38 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.