- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Norwegian Epic Images (Page 5)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Norwegian Epic Images
viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 03-17-2009 06:35 AM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Careful NCL might look at this and think - yea why not.
Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 03-25-2009 09:48 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I about hit the floor on this one. LMAO. Heres a pic from Shippspotting.com posted 3/16. Its all downhill from here I guess?

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=855095

quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
This "enhanced" photo of EPIC was posted on another board. It was just too good not to share with CT. I think it's hilarious! Ernie

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 03-26-2009 07:58 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
*is absolutely roaring with laughter*....
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-26-2009 08:46 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Oh yes that is a good one could not hold my laughter hahahahaha LOL.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 03-27-2009 03:39 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very funny, should the props not be out of the water !

Sad thing is that at some stage a cruise line will install a McDonalds on board - sadder still it will no doubt be the busiest outlet on board and probably the most profitable for the line. Only a matter of time.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 03-27-2009 05:37 AM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
McDonal's aflat has been tried several times already on ferries, normal ones and cruise ferries. In every case it lasted just a few years. There simply wasn't sufficient passing trade to keep them viable.

Branded outlets on ferries have been fairly disastrous. Burger King, Brioche Doree have all been tried to no avail.

I think the first 'cruiseferry' with a McDonalds was Silja Europa, at the time the world's largest ferry.

Branding on cruise ships does seem to work (BEn and Jerry's on RCI for instance). But the venues are often very small compared to pax capacity, perhaps reflective of the small proportion who will use them.

Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-27-2009 07:58 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
Branding on cruise ships does seem to work (BEn and Jerry's on RCI for instance). But the venues are often very small compared to pax capacity, perhaps reflective of the small proportion who will use them.

A cruise line needs to be brave and ONLY have a Mcdonalds for all dining on one of their big ships! There's nothing like a captive audience to generate business.

So RCI, Carnival and NCL are you up for the challenge?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-27-2009 11:37 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RCI also has Johnny Rockets.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 03-27-2009 12:50 PM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found more photos here
More Photos

Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 03-27-2009 08:21 PM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pictures Greg!

take a look at the slide:

picture from Greg's provided link

By looking at the deck plans on another thread, it looks like the go from deck 16 to 15 area (deck 15 being the "to come" area). Maybe this is an upcoming reveal...something to compete with Carnival's WaterWorks or RCI's flow rider area???

Regards,

Brian

Posts: 865 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 03-28-2009 11:24 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nothing to say except...

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Teva
First Class Passenger
Member # 5327

posted 03-31-2009 01:05 AM      Profile for Teva   Email Teva   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know what I posted about Oasis of the Seas being fat & fugly?

I take it all back & serve my silver platter of anti-platitudes to Nowegian Epic...

Epic in size!
Epic in sheer height!
Epic in width!
Epic in total characterless,souless,astheticless,
robotic efficiency....

Par contre,Oasis looks like a ship a somewhat overblown,overscale,over the top design but infinitely more visually impressive than Epic
Lego blocks,appartment blocks on top of a Super
Tanker hull come to mind....

Say it with me kids!

YYYYYYUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKK!

Posts: 78 | From: Sydney,Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2009 08:15 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You almost have to feel sorry for NCL. This ship is so darn ugly I can only imagine EPIC has become a bit of a joke among NCL's competitors. Wouldn't it have been fun to be a fly on the wall when executives from NCL's competitors saw the ship design for the first time?

Even NCL doesn't want another one. They fought long and hard with the shipyard to ensure only one of these 'Epics' is built. It's setting NCL back a cool $128.8M as well. Talk about not having much confidence in your own newbuild. Thats a lot of money to spend to ensure something is NOT built!

So I guess we can be thankful there is only one EPIC. No clones for this poor ugly duckling. All joking aside, there are some interesting concepts on EPIC and I give NCL credit for trying something different. I don't have high hopes for the success of these concepts, but I do like a company that is willing to take risks. For this reason I wish NCL nothing but luck with EPIC, and I think they will need it.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 03-31-2009 09:00 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
John Heald, Senior Cruise Director and Ambassador for Carnival Cruise Lines, has been making comments about the Epic on his blog....He thinks it is an unbelievably ugly ship.

I showed my wife the picture and she gasped and wondered if it were a joke.

I have talked with a number of other cruise industry veterans and yes they all think the Epic is an ugly ship on an epic scale.

Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2009 09:13 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
John Heald, Senior Cruise Director and Ambassador for Carnival Cruise Lines, has been making comments about the Epic on his blog....He thinks it is an unbelievably ugly ship.

Yes, I've read his blog and frankly I have lost a lot of respect for the guy. His blog turned from being pretty funny and somewhat independent, to nothing more than an advertisement for Carnival. He makes constant jabs at the competition which I think is a bit tacky for someone in his position as a Carnival spokesperson. To be honest, I get the feeling he really has no clue what the competition is about ... just that Carnival is superior. I get the fact he works for Carnival and that is something to be proud of, but for me he has lost a lot of integrity since his blog went "commercial".

Ernie

[ 03-31-2009: Message edited by: eroller ]

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-01-2009 12:54 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agreed, Mr heald should stick to Carnival issues - it is not his place to critisise other lines, thats our job and we are bloody good at it !
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 04-01-2009 02:02 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know what all of you are talking about. The more I look at this ship the more I like it. Its beautiful! Definately one of the best looking ships ever. I feel sorry for RCI because Oasis can't even begin to compare to this ship!!!.......

April Fools!

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-18-2009 09:09 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
This "enhanced" photo of EPIC was posted on another board. It was just too good not to share with CT. I think it's hilarious!

Ernie

By Michael L. Grace | April 1, 2009

quote:

April 1, 2009 - Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled the first images of its new 153,000-gross ton, 4,200-passenger Norwegian Epic, the company’s largest and most innovative Freestyle Cruising ship to date.

The ship will feature the most recognizable names in eating and travel.

This is being done to make the average American passenger enjoy the new ship, feel at home and not out of place. There is no reason to know haute cuisine because everything on the Norwegian Epic will be based on nouvelle fast food.

Included will be accommodations by Motel 6, with restaurants featuring the unique cuisine of McDonald’s, Denny’s and Applebee’s.

Olive Garden will provide the carefree gourmet extra priced restaurants.

The elegant shops and shipboard boutiques will be under the direction of Walmart, Big Lot and the 99 Cent Stores.

[ 04-18-2009: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

[ 04-19-2009: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 04-18-2009 10:02 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This problem is, with NORWEGIAN EPIC, NCL is hoping to attract passengers more like this ...

and this ...

I don't really see that happening. NCL can design a ship that is Miami chic, but it's more likely the majority of passengers will look like those that David pictured in the post above. That is the reality of cruising.

Ernie

[ 04-19-2009: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-18-2009 04:28 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wonder if NCL (and the other major lines) actually put 'real looking people' in their renditions it would put real people off? Maybe we like to imagine that we are all young, slim and good looking?

There was a time that not everybody in the media had to look like a model. Here is an image from the back of a 1979 Fred Olsen brochure:

See Here

Do you think that these type of 'real' people would feature in a modern brochure? I think not.

[ 04-18-2009: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 04-18-2009 05:11 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

There was a time that not everybody in the media had to look like a model. Here is an image from the back of a 1979 Fred Olsen brochure:

See Here

I think I would run as fast as I could ... away from Fred Olsen. That looks like as much fun as the local nursing home. Maybe in another 30 years!

In the past, Carnival was always known to use "real" people in their brochures ... but they were a bit younger then the Fred Olsen set.

Ernie

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.