- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » RCI orders giant vessel. (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: RCI orders giant vessel.
RCI 20
First Class Passenger
Member # 5609

posted 02-06-2006 03:58 AM      Profile for RCI 20   Email RCI 20   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Press release...

Royal Caribbean International orders a new
generation cruise vessel from Aker Yards.
The contract price being approximately EUR 900
million, this is the most valuable ship ever
ordered in the history of commercial
shipbuilding.

The 220,000 GRT ship, a prototype developed
under Project Genesis, will be delivered from
Aker Yards, Finland in autumn 2009. The order
means 5,800 man years of work for the yard.
The contract includes an option for a similar
vessel.

`After developing so many generations of cruise
ships together over the 35 years of our
partnership with RCCL we are excited about
jumping so far out in front of cruise-ship
design with this highly innovative and exciting
new ship` says Yrjö Julin, President responsible
for Aker Yards Cruise & Ferries business area.
`Working together we will create an unparalleled
experience for the next generation of cruisers.`

`It is exhilarating to take such a giant step
into the future`, said Royal Caribbean Chairman
and CEO Richard Fain. `Project Genesis truly is
a remarkable ship. Its bold design, daring
innovation and technological advancements will
delight our existing customers and help us draw
in new ones`. He also said Royal Caribbean to be
fortunate to have such gifted collaborators as
Aker Yards.

Taking a huge leap of 43 per cent in size from
the new record breaking `Freedom of the Seas` to
be delivered for Royal Caribbean from Aker Yards
in April, the new giant of the cruise market
will be 360 meters long, 47 meters wide, 65 m
high above waterline and accommodate 5,400
passengers.

The previous deliveries from Aker Yards to Royal
Caribbean include eleven newbuildings, and there
are three more in the present orderbook, the
worldŽs largest cruise vessels in the Freedom
class, to be delivered in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Consisting of 18 newbuildings, the total value
of the order book of Aker Yards in Finland is
some 4.3 billion euro after this contract.

The contract is subject to final confirmation of
buyers financing.

A side view of the vessel can be found in our
imagebank www.akerfinnyards.com , Newsroom /
Image bank / Cruise vessels

RCI 20

Posts: 37 | From: Miami/Oslo | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 02-06-2006 04:07 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RCI 20:
The 220,000 GRT ship ...
One word: AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Deck 9 001
First Class Passenger
Member # 1716

posted 02-06-2006 04:16 AM      Profile for Deck 9 001     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it will be a fantastic ship. RCI does indeed have great ships.

I do hope that this ship will be deployed on one week cruises or longer, as it will take one week to just walk the 360 meters from the bow to the stern.

Mike

Posts: 939 | From: Taipei, Taiwan (originally New York) | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-06-2006 04:26 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here a link to an external view.

...and here a link to the Aker press release....

[ 02-06-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
tazza
First Class Passenger
Member # 5450

posted 02-06-2006 05:00 AM      Profile for tazza     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That would be an amazing site!! I would love to have the chance to go on something like that. How big are the Freedom of the Seas sisters??? Bigger than QM2?
Posts: 164 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-06-2006 05:03 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tazza:
That would be an amazing site!! I would love to have the chance to go on something like that. How big are the Freedom of the Seas sisters??? Bigger than QM2?

With 158 000 gt they are bigger than QM2.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-06-2006 05:57 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for Malcolm's response!

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-06-2006 08:15 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
360 meters long, 47 meters wide, 65 m
high above waterline and accommodate 5,400
passengers.

Where is the extra tonnage coming from, more decks with more balconies? Is this not just a pumped up version of the Freedom of the Seas? Physically she is really not that much bigger than Freedom? At 70k tons over QM2 but double her passengers I have questions about her safety in case of an emergency. I am guessing that 5400 is at double capacity only, meaning she could possibly carry over 6000 guests? And will she have enough to do for those guests? I would love to see a deck plan...

[ 02-06-2006: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-06-2006 08:21 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With this announcement by RCI, how far away is the Pinnacle Project for Carnival?

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-06-2006 08:38 AM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With this being RCI, she will still have a good passenger to space ratio. She is going to be 160 feet longer than the Voyager class ships and 68 feet longer than the Freedom class. Looks like she will have 8 decks of balcony cabins and will be wider than the Voyager/Freedom class of ships.

I do think that we will be seeing something from Carnival soon as they need a new class of vessel. They continue to try and tweak the Conquest class but that design is so old and outdated.

The problem with the Pinnacle class will be the number of passengers for the size ship.

Gordon

[ 02-06-2006: Message edited by: Atlcruiser ]

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-06-2006 09:44 AM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing that I noticed looking at the drawings. I do not see an outdoor promenade deck like the Voyager/Freedom class ships have on deck four. I do not like that at all.

Gordon

Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 02-06-2006 10:02 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
At least she still looks like a ship... Even if there are similarities with previous RCI designs, this will be a brand new class. You can add lenght, even height, and keep the same basic design, but if you change how wide the ship is, you have to design a brand new class.
It makes a long time we haven't see something really new from RCI or Carnival Corp... that is a good thing even if I can't help thinking it's too big.

And I was wondering, 65m height... Isn't it too tall for New York Verazzano Bridge (and most of the other bridges you have to go under to enter some major ports) ?

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 02-06-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Too big!!!! Too big!!!!
It's too much of everything. Give me the sizes of our original classics any day.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-06-2006 10:13 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! This totally came unexpected ! I didn't think someone would break the 20000grt barrier this quickly. At first I thought it was some type of joke .

Anyhow, the exterior design looks similar to the VOYAGER/FREEDOM-class ships. Unfortunately, it lost some curves in the stern and the shorten bow. I am really interested to see the drawings of what seems to be a two-deck high Crown Anchor Lounge....

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
MOORHOUSE
First Class Passenger
Member # 5741

posted 02-06-2006 10:16 AM      Profile for MOORHOUSE        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting news.

I think the rendering is stunning, but I think theres a couple of questions I have.

How do people get into those lifeboats?

Besides that; I love the large curved windows above the bridge, and the low down windows (dining room?) at the stern.

Posts: 81 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-06-2006 10:32 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MOORHOUSE:

How do people get into those lifeboats?

The boats would be boarded right where they are, at Deck 4 level. This would be the open Promenade deck which a previous poster could not see.

People, remember, this is an initial artist's rendering of a projected ship project, not a photograph of the finished product. We all know that many details are tweaked before the final product comes out. It looks to me like there is a definite prom. deck at deck 4 level, just like in the previous vessels. Actually the entire design is like an enlarge Freedom-Class vessel.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-06-2006 10:33 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tazza:

QM2 is around 151,000 tons while the Freedom is 158,000. The slight size difference comes from the RCI ship being built up more both for and aft. QM2 is longer though.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joe1690
First Class Passenger
Member # 4889

posted 02-06-2006 10:50 AM      Profile for Joe1690     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow, just like Malcolm I was not expecting this and when I first read it I was thinking it was a joke as well and perfectly fitting for April fools day but unfortunately today is not April 1 so it is true. This ship sounds very interesting and I am amazed at how large it will be. THe first ship to break the 200,000 GT mark and it will be 2X as large as the Grand Princess and her sisters which makes them suddenly seem like small ships. That is a scary thought. However, I like RCCL and find there ships very well designed and actually enjoyed my cruise on Voyager of the Seas. Depending on the features and itinerary of this ship I would be willing to sail it although this is now truly a floating city with 5400 passengers (double occupancy I am presuming) so that means probably about 6600 passengers max with about 1800 crew members so now we are around 8400 people on 1 ship. That is a hell of a lot of people. I wonder what innovations we will see on this ship.

Also can anyone convert the dimension of this new ship from meters to feet as I am curious about her beam, length, and height in comparision to the Freedom class ships.

Posts: 87 | From: King of Prussia, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stevie2020
First Class Passenger
Member # 4901

posted 02-06-2006 10:57 AM      Profile for Stevie2020   Author's Homepage   Email Stevie2020   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I dont like the look of this design. The aft looks very ugly to me and there looks like there are too many balconies.

The bow looks ok though but the lifeboats look too low to the water in comparison to the ship height.

Posts: 140 | From: Northamptonshire UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 02-06-2006 10:58 AM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe, According to press release she will be 1.180 ft long, 154 ft wide and 240 ft high.
Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-06-2006 11:12 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by recab:
Joe, According to press release she will be 1.180 ft long, 154 ft wide and 240 ft high.

So she will be about 50 feet longer than QM2 but a heck of a lot fatter.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 02-06-2006 11:18 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Atlcruiser,

indeed. From what I've seen the new class of Celebrity ships will also be lacking an exterior promenade below the lifeboats. And actually, there are quite a few exterior similarities between this new class for RCI and the new Celebrity class. The stern section looks particularly similar, as does the "extended" superstructure section just aft of amidships.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-06-2006 11:22 AM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Linerrich:
[QB]

The boats would be boarded right where they are, at Deck 4 level. This would be the open Promenade deck which a previous poster could not see.

Rich, on the Carnival Destiny and Conquest class, the lifeboats are not loaded from the promenade deck. They are loaded from inside of the ship as I suspect this will be done.

Gordon

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-06-2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r.fiebig:
Atlcruiser,

indeed. From what I've seen the new class of Celebrity ships will also be lacking an exterior promenade below the lifeboats. And actually, there are quite a few exterior similarities between this new class for RCI and the new Celebrity class. The stern section looks particularly similar, as does the "extended" superstructure section just aft of amidships.

Best,

Raoul

Thanks Raoul, I didn't think that I saw an exterior promenade deck on the drawings and I doubt that the shipyard would have excluded one if it was to be part of the design. I do not like that at all as that is one of my favorite places to read and relax.

Gordon

Darrell
First Class Passenger
Member # 113

posted 02-06-2006 12:02 PM      Profile for Darrell   Email Darrell   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone else notice the change in paint scheme for Royal Caribbean as well. No more bluish line through the center of the ship. I like the clean two lines at the waterline... is simple and quite nautical. Amazing how some ships look good in all white and others don't.

Also, it looks as if the glass of the balcony cabins is rounded at the top. Interesting looking.

Possible return of public rooms/space to the Aft? Appears the superstructure is vertical and long decks extending aft. This would be very good use of the aft section since there appears to be no wrap around promenade. Don't get me wrong, I like aft balconies, but on a ship this size, public deck space(covered or not) will be appreciated.

Posts: 78 | From: Washington, DC, USA | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.