- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » RCI orders giant vessel. (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: RCI orders giant vessel.
Eric
First Class Passenger
Member # 2724

posted 02-06-2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Eric   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
& to think we used to rush to the rail to see a "giant" 70,000 ton tanker go by. Eric
Posts: 421 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joe1690
First Class Passenger
Member # 4889

posted 02-06-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for Joe1690     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the stats. I am confused about the beam being 154 ft considering the voyager class has a beam of 156-157.5 depending on the vessel and the freedom has a beam of 184. Since the voyager and freedom class beams are there maximum including the bridge what are the actual beams for the voyager class and freedom class since one can conclude that the genesis class will indeed have a bigger beam.

Also, reading a press release on yahoo finance I saw that RCCL states they have made significant modifications to the hull as well as the air conditioning system and the water production and treatment systems to increase energy efficiency as this was a priority in this new class of ships. I have also heard they have an option for a second ship in 2010.

Posts: 87 | From: King of Prussia, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
recab
First Class Passenger
Member # 1677

posted 02-06-2006 01:52 PM      Profile for recab   Email recab   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe,

FR has the same beam as the Voyager class vessels.

Posts: 730 | From: Aland, Finland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 02-06-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
r.fiebig,

Where did you see pics of the new celebrity ship? Is there a link?

I am excited about the news but at the same time i think the ship is a little too big!

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 02-06-2006 02:31 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that a feeble attempt at a fantail I see on the stern of this ship? I don't believe it! Never thought I'd live to see the day. Otherwise, it's largely a "been there, done that" design.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-06-2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bulbousbow:
I'm waiting for Malcolm's response!

Hmm, it looks like a Science Fiction version of Voyager/Freedom. I can see that this ship will be both loved and hated.

Love: RCI are the market leaders in ship design as far as I’m concerned. They build the most amazing ‘floating resorts’. They are NOT ‘ships’ in a traditional sense and they are certainly not aimed at salty old sea dogs!

But lets not forget that RCI ships have attractive 'traditional' style dining and dining rooms and nprmally a wrap around teak prom deck.

I see no reason why the Genesis design should not continue RCI’s success.

As for the ‘too big’ argument, I will not even go there. It’s so subjective. A few years ago, many people though 90.000 gt was too big, until 120,000 gt vessels arrived, but that was OK when 140,000 gt vessels arrived.

Hate: The space ratio may be pretty good, but the lines for boarding, certain facilities and tendering are bound to be facts of life that cannot be avoided. However many people will be prepared to tolerate this to cruise on the worlds biggest ship.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Stevie2020
First Class Passenger
Member # 4901

posted 02-06-2006 02:51 PM      Profile for Stevie2020   Author's Homepage   Email Stevie2020   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How do you think Carnival will rival to this. Looks like Carnival is being left behind the competition. There will be 3 Freedom series ships plus Project Genesis.

RCCL will have no competition in the "Biggest Ship" game.

Posts: 140 | From: Northamptonshire UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 02-06-2006 03:41 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's probably where Project Pinnacle comes in.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-06-2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stevie2020:
Looks like Carnival is being left behind the competition. .

In term of cruise ship design, I think RCI have been ahead of Carnival for a number of years now. However, Carnival lead the way in terms of profits and number of brands.

Lets not forget the the QM2 is likely to still wear the crown as biggest Ocean Liner for years to come.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 02-06-2006 05:21 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Royal Caribbean Orders $1.24B Cruise Ship
Feb 06 3:42 PM US/Eastern
By JOHN PAIN
AP Business Writer

MIAMI

Excerpts:

Royal Caribbean International on Monday ordered the world's largest and most expensive cruise ship, a $1.24 billion vessel that will hold up to 6,400 passengers. It's the latest step in the industry trend of supersizing ships, which delight many passengers but are too crowded for other guests.

The ship, dubbed Project Genesis, will be 220,000 gross registered tons when it is delivered to the world's second-largest cruise operator in fall 2009 by Oslo, Norway-based shipbuilder Aker Yards. Gross registered tons is a standard way to measure a ship's size and is a unit of volume equal to about 100 cubic feet.

The ship will weigh about 100,000 tons based on displacement _ a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier comes in at about 97,000 tons.

Aker said its contract price of 900 million euros _ about $1 billion _ would be "the most valuable ship ever ordered in the history of commercial shipbuilding." The $1.24 billion figure includes all expenses for the ship, "from forks and knives and sheets to artwork and everything else," said Harri Kulovaara, the Miami-based cruise line's executive vice president of maritime operations.

[...]

The announcement also steals some of the spotlight from rival Carnival Corp., the world's largest cruise operator. Carnival has studied building a ship about the same size, but its Pinnacle project is "on the back burner" because of its prohibitively high price, spokesman Tim Gallagher said.

Kulovaara said in a phone interview that the new ship will be more fuel efficient than current vessels, but he declined to give a specific figure. He said plans for the types of onboard amenities were being finalized. Royal Caribbean has been an innovator in featuring ice skating rinks, rock climbing walls and surfing pools.

Royal Caribbean's ships are typically more upscale than the bargain Carnival Cruise Lines' vessels, but they aren't as traditional as those of luxury carriers such as Cunard.

Project Genesis will carry 5,400 passengers based on two people per cabin, Kulovaara said. But as most cruise cabins can accommodate more than two people using cots or other beds, that number rises to a maximum capacity of 6,400.

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 02-06-2006 05:28 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
one word........BIGGGG.......However, Malcolm is right.....talking bout the size would be a subjective matter because what you may call big, i may not call big, all has to do with personal interests....altho by current shipping standards, the Genesis is BIG...i think the stern i awwful.....i wonder what "innovative attractions" will be aboard....with freedom is the FLo rider pool, mabe a roller coaster on Genesis
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-06-2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm getting the best laughs off of some of the other cruise boards. Those Holland America, Princess and Celebrity folks are having heart attacks. They don't even want the ship in the same port with them. I hate to tell the Princess folks but give Carnival Corporation time and they will have their own mega MEGA Princess ship.

Gordon

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 02-06-2006 06:05 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nycruiser,

there is a large drawing (spanning a whole double page) of the new Celebrity class in a book about its builder, Meyer Werft, which was published here in Germany, last month.

The book is called "Meyer Werft - Innovativer Schiffbau aus Papenburg". Author: Hans Jürgen Witthöft. Publisher: Koehlers Verlagsgesellschaft mbh, Hamburg. ISBN 3-7822-0924-9.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-06-2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
nycruiser,

I urgently recommend you to buy the book - maybe you also want to do a search for a Merry 'X'-Mas thread - but hurry up!

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-06-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Big verry big. The one ultimate question how manny ports are able to receve here?

Still i like the design so much elegant thene the Carnival (corperation), Celebrity designs.

Now waiting fore the next step.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TampaMike
First Class Passenger
Member # 4445

posted 02-06-2006 07:27 PM      Profile for TampaMike   Email TampaMike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:
I hate to tell the Princess folks but give Carnival Corporation time and they will have their own mega MEGA Princess ship.

Gordon

AMAZON Princess???

Posts: 246 | From: Tampa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-06-2006 07:38 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:
I'm getting the best laughs off of some of the other cruise boards. Those Holland America, Princess and Celebrity folks are having heart attacks. They don't even want the ship in the same port with them. I hate to tell the Princess folks but give Carnival Corporation time and they will have their own mega MEGA Princess ship.

Gordon

This is really strange as they are not better at all - There are already some ports where several monsters are berthed at the same time - what makes the difference in an overcrowded port whether some of the passengers are coming from one bigger instead of two smaller vessel?

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stevie2020
First Class Passenger
Member # 4901

posted 02-06-2006 07:55 PM      Profile for Stevie2020   Author's Homepage   Email Stevie2020   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There seem to be 7 or 8 decks of balconies. Does too many balconies make a ship look boring. There are no glass lifts to focus your eyes on.

What do you think the main pupose of the fan tail is, it looks see through

Posts: 140 | From: Northamptonshire UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-06-2006 08:09 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Genesis" looks to be an evolution of the Voyager/Freedom Class. The exterior looks very similar as does the placement of most exterior elements. The true test will be the layout of the interior. How different will it really be to FREEDOM OF THE SEAS? It's not difficult to keep stacking additional decks of balconies on a slightly larger hull. Hopefully RCI will continue it's track record of not just larger ships, but innovation as well.

I see many more decks of balconies but the topside area remains too small for the amount of passengers. As these ships get bigger and bigger, the proportion of cabins far outpaces the amount of additional deck space. I think this is a major problem. There can only be so much space on top of the ship, no matter how many decks are below it.

Genesis also appears to have no wrap-around promenade deck. Too bad. I guess they feel they don't need it since most cabins will have their own balcony. Maybe RCI doesn't realize you can't "stroll" on a private balcony??

Is anyone else curious about what those six cylinders are on the topdeck just forward of midship? Could they be a future RCI innovation?

Ernie - who personally feels "Genesis" carries too many passengers for my own enjoyment, but none the less is always impressed with RCI's boldness.

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-06-2006 08:46 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maasdam:
Big verry big. The one ultimate question how manny ports are able to receve here?

Greetings Ben.

She will be 50' longer than QM2 and a bit wider. I would guess any port that QM2/Voyager can visit, this monster ship will also be able to visit. The huge number of passengers may pose a problem for any smaller port but this one will likely stay w/the larger popular ports.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
NWLB
First Class Passenger
Member # 1987

posted 02-06-2006 08:52 PM      Profile for NWLB   Author's Homepage   Email NWLB   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Such a big ship. So many thoughts.

Stevie is right in saying RCI won't have any competition in building and operating “big” ships. It isn't simply that RCI will have five Voyagers, three Ultra Voyagers, and two Jabba Class Voyagers. Even if Carnival started building right now, they are not going to easily prove able to match RCI ship-for-ship. Plus dividing their new builds across several brands won't help either. Their product will lag in size, cost efficiencies, and basic marketing value. Assuming RCI keeps building, they'll close some of the gap in berths over time. The risk is that if a ship like that has a problem, the impact on your bottom line is vastly larger than it is today.

I think this new monster will actually give RCI leverage in finding ports. The ship carries two or three times the load of some ships out there. Its size might well help block a ship from some ports where you might otherwise have three on a normal day. I'm thinking St. Thomas for example.

In terms of image and marketing, Malcolm is very much right in saying RCI ships are floating resorts. This new ship is so truly staggering in size, it puts the the debate about the ports or ship being the attraction to rest.

Yet I have to think what may prove the most revolutionary about this ship isn't in the design. I don't see the ship hosting standard dinning options for the entire ship. I think alternative dinning will be a much bigger focus than it has been for RCI. In truth, that will be a welcome thing. I don't want them to try to cram 5,400 people through two seatings. I suspect there will be other aspects to this ship that differ from her younger siblings.

NWLB
RCIfan.com

Posts: 329 | From: Bowling Green, Ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
seatrial
First Class Passenger
Member # 1658

posted 02-06-2006 09:34 PM      Profile for seatrial     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Where are the beautiful large windows for the dining room found on the Voyager class? This ship seems to be lacking any large windows in the main superstructure of the ship. I feel like modern ships focus on the cabins more and more. I really hate this as I don't go on cruises to sit in my cabin. I go to stroll the promenade while cruising the open sea at 20knots, I go to eat in the beautiful dining rooms, and fall asleep reading while sitting in a deck chair. If I want I nice room I'll stay on land. I'm not impressed with what I see yet. She'll be a cash cow!
Teva
First Class Passenger
Member # 5327

posted 02-06-2006 10:29 PM      Profile for Teva   Email Teva   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hmm,she's an interesting piece of marine design...
her lineage is unmistakable,but one thing worries me.I realise that the profile we've all seen is merely
preliminary,but is it me,or is her hull,except for her
bow just a little on the flat side?,or is it because her
superstruture,being so tall in comparison makes the
hull look flat.She's really not that much larger than
QM2,dimensionally speaking,slightly longer,way way
taller,and wider.
Lets all watch the development of this one with
interest......and watch the other Lines play catchup,
especially the NewsCorp of the cruising industry...
Carnival Corp,they're never one to be left in RCI's
wake for long and it won't be long before they start
their own 'Ultra Princess' project...

Teva

Posts: 78 | From: Sydney,Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-06-2006 11:09 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I read somewhere today that the QM2 is 237 feet tall and this ship is going to be 240 feet tall. Not much taller than the QM2 if those figures are correct.

Gordon

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
P&Ocruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 5040

posted 02-07-2006 04:55 AM      Profile for P&Ocruiser   Email P&Ocruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
wow, this ship is beutiful, alot more nicer than any other new build laterly. think the size is marvolous even if u dont like big ships wont the sight of this be sensational. its testing what humans are capable of. i'm excited!!!!
Posts: 261 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.