- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » RCI orders giant vessel. (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: RCI orders giant vessel.
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-08-2006 03:00 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

What would be the usuable space ratio per passenger of the comparisons?

[ 02-08-2006: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

We discussed this in a thread last year. A more tangible measure of space per person might be "public area surface space": square feet or square meters, such as a house is measured. The cubic feet in the middle of an atrium or showlounge count towards the size of the ship, but do nothing in measuring usable space per passenger.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-08-2006 03:45 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

In fairness to RCI, Explorer did 'handle' her masses very well. The fare for an RCI blaconly cabin was almost half that of a QM2 inside cabin! Although you did get the quality that you paid for with Cunard.[/QB]

You get what you pay for. I would rather be on QM2 and have some elbow room. That is what our friends thought when they crossed w/us last year. They were amazed about how spacious she was and the lack of crowds. At times we were w/a handful of passengers in the Chart Room as an example and she was nearly full. Our QM2 Caribbean cruise last March had the same feeling. Love that ship!

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 02-08-2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
The modern trend of 12 (or so) deck atriums are also a bit waste of space. It's mostly vertical space purely dsigned to provide a 'wow' factor when you board. After that, its no real use!
I don't agree. The atrium, if well thought out, can be a real focal point in the ship and its passenger flows. You would have seen this on the Brilliance; when I was on the Jewel I thought that the atrium was a great "town square".

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-08-2006 04:18 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:
I don't agree. The atrium, if well thought out, can be a real focal point in the ship and its passenger flows. You would have seen this on the Brilliance; thought that the atrium was a great "town square".

The Atriums certainly look good on the Radience class, but I still think they are a waste of space virtically. You do not really need a 8-12 deck hole in my opinion. The QM2 does without one, nicely.

I only tend to visit Atriums to line up at the Pursers deck, sometimes to complain! Therefore I associate them with 'problems'.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 02-08-2006 05:08 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, some atriums are a waste of space. The only atrium that used its 2 decks nicely and wasnt crowded and elegant is the milli. class. But again it all depends on the ship.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-08-2006 05:19 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
...A more tangible measure of space per person might be "public area surface space": square feet or square meters, such as a house is measured. The cubic feet in the middle of an atrium or showlounge count towards the size of the ship, but do nothing in measuring usable space per passenger.Rich

Interesting point of view. I wonder then how would the Genesis with a whopping 6400 passengers would stack up against other ships of similar physical dimensions like the QM2 (or othersa like the Conquest-Class).

As for me, I cant imagine THAT many people being effectively taken care of with any respect towards individual treatment or service (can you say 'Cattle Call?). Embarkation, debarkation, and meal service will surely be a nightmare. I hope this ship NEVER has to anchor out anywhere...tendering would be an amazing logistical feat.

I'll take paying double the price for an Inside cabin on QM2 over a balcony on any other ship, any day.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-08-2006 05:56 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, cruise lines rarely talk about space-ratio's. It is guide books like Berlitz that do the simple calculation (gross tonnage divided by passenger capacity). I do not think that cruise lines will be volunteering the Sq fottage either.

Even quite dense ships (low space ratio) often are described as 'spacious' in their brochures.

By the way, the 'Spaciousness' of a ship is subjective. While onboard 'Explorer' (August, probably full near to capacity) I said to one couple that the ship felt a little crowded. They said, 'Oh, they had not noticed'!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-08-2006 06:00 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
As for me, I cant imagine THAT many people being effectively taken care of with any respect towards individual treatment or service....

No, but that does not happen much on any big ship!

Surely RCI will have to move away from the one main grand- dining room (which I do love) to multiple venues - a version of Freestyle.

Royal Caribbean Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4310

posted 02-08-2006 06:15 PM      Profile for Royal Caribbean Cruiser   Author's Homepage   Email Royal Caribbean Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
come on guys. i dont think you are giving RCI the credit they deserve. have yall ever known them to cram 54489412154621 people into a little bitty ship, and have like .125412564 square feet of space per person? no.. they are very organized and im sure are very prepared for the crowds, and have thought out ways to make the ship be able to handle that many people, comfortably. and that picture is obviously just a drawing.. so you cant really go by that.
Posts: 66 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-08-2006 06:26 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Royal Caribbean Cruiser:
come on guys. i dont think you are giving RCI the credit they deserve.

RCI do certainly design some great ships. However, it is not just the size of the ship that is a concern, it is the shore side infrastructure. For example, no embarcation port is likely to have enough parking spaces, and check-in desks etc. Imagine the baggage logistics.

I've sat in port traffic jams and waited in line at check-in desks for a few hous, and that was to board a 2500 passenger ship.

A ship like Fred Olsen's 'Black Watch' can take 30 minutes to embark and 20 to disembar, if you are lucky. Even existing mega ship can take half a day for both! You might need a full day for Genesis.

[ 02-08-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Caronia II
First Class Passenger
Member # 5223

posted 02-08-2006 06:37 PM      Profile for Caronia II     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing I haven't read on this thread is the perspective of RCI... Fain and Kulovarra are well known as free thinkers, problem solvers and DETAIL oriented. They and their staff designed the Voyager and FOS classes from the "features out", basically deciding what interesting activities they could build, how many passengers they could fit into the envelope and then wrapped the "tonnage" around it, resulting in the sizes of ships they have... Each ship is a further development and closer perfection of the concepts they are trying and continue to innovate. If this ship is 220,000 GRT, that won't be an arbitrary figure, but one necessary to contain the size of the ideas they are dealing with...

People are speculating a LOT about the amount of open deck space being sufficient for the contingent onboard, but I submit that this is the age of the "Spa at Sea" and feel certain there will be fascinating new spa options which require volume of space, but not sun exposure... Put the cabins on the outside and widen the beam so you can get better facilities on the INSIDE... THIS is what I think is driving the size and not actually the need to outsize Carnival. They already will HAVE that ship in about two months.

Posts: 181 | From: LA-ish | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 02-08-2006 08:42 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
The Atriums certainly look good on the Radience class, but I still think they are a waste of space virtically. You do not really need a 8-12 deck hole in my opinion. The QM2 does without one, nicely.
I definitely see what you're saying, but on the other hand, I do agree with Globaliser. I loved the atrium on Jewel and would often stand at the railing however many decks above watching the goings-on, including dancing at the bottom. On ships with smaller atriums like Millennium or Grand Princess I never found myself doing that (obviously on the former it would be impossible to dance at the bottom of the atrium and on the latter I never found anything of real 'interest' to watch).

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 02-08-2006 08:55 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Caronia II:
People are speculating a LOT...
And all from one preliminary side-view elevation and a passenger count.

Not that speculation isn't fun nor doesn't have a place, but we shouldn't make assumptions so quickly about (dis)embarkation, deck space, etc., etc...

Didn't anyone see those Ameriquest Super Bowl commercials??

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-08-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Is anyone else curious about what those six cylinders are on the topdeck just forward of midship? Could they be a future RCI innovation?

I have a feeling those will be the trampolines that are on the ENCHANTMENT OF THE SEAS.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-08-2006 10:07 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynaro:
I have a feeling those will be the trampolines...

...used to catapult whining, sniveling, refund-demanding passengers into the ocean...

[ 02-08-2006: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 02-08-2006 11:05 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just aft of the six 'thingies' on the upper deck, does anyone else see what looks to potentially be a high dive? It's probably just a structure/awning of some sort, but it certainly got me thinking about a feature I don't think has been offered onboard before.

The liability seems horrendous and therefore I wouldn't think they've planned for a high dive, but its shape doesn't match the curvaceousness of the other upper deck structures.

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 02-09-2006 01:35 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A logical progression in the active sports department would be bungy jumping down the atrium ! Pick up a glass of wine as you shoot past the bar. Only a matter of time.
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-09-2006 05:10 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's actually the same as in the first part of the 1930's. Whene shipping companny's (actually nations. Great Brittain, Germany, France, Italy) fight with eachother to have the biggest and fastest liner afloat.

Only now the fight fore the biggest is between companny's and lesser between nations. Whene will it go wrong.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-09-2006 05:14 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting aspect: I guess many of us who are younger are sad that they did not see the gloriouse time of passenger shipping - but concering quantitiy (size and number of (big) vessels) we are now in a much more active periode.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 02-09-2006 08:25 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
to big for me. ill stick to the norwegian majesty size ships.
you think rms qm2 had problems
navigating the channel out of
ft laudedale,fl. you will see
the genasis bang from side to
side in the channel. i hope they have plenty of spare pods. this ship will be a captains nightmare.

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 02-09-2006 08:27 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And indeed the number of people who sailed in them. I think you'd have to say that the period from the end of mass migration to the USA - early 1920s? - to the beginning of the current cruise era, was probably the period when ship travel was most exclusive, and catered to the smallest numbers.
Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-09-2006 09:47 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moodus2:
...qm2 had problems
navigating the channel out of
ft laudedale,fl.

We do not know that it was a navigational error. There was a mention of the ship hitting an underwater obstruction.

GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 02-09-2006 11:31 AM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok. No ones said this yet, so I guess I will. The Life boats. They are way to big. Did they get an exemption from SOLAS, these boats (frm. my calculations) wouls carry 355 passengers each. There is some law, if I remember correctly, where the boats cant carry more that 250-200 pax. I know its just a pre construction rendering but Im surprised no one mentioned it yet.
- Greg

Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-09-2006 11:46 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Could it be that she relies a bit more on inflatable 'rafts'? Would make sense as these bigger inflatable 'rafts' can be boarded via slides - somehow better than boats.

Personally, I still have my doubts how such a big ship can be evacuated reasonably. To make sure everyone is in the boats must be a nightmare - to my understanding already today 'bigger' ships make sure by searching the whole ship that no one is left aboard - must be 'fun' in an emergency situation. (...which is a situation which makes it necessary to leave such a big ship!)

Also, it is for sure a bit more problematic to find assistance from other ships in case of an emergency. (we talk about nearly some 7000 - 8000 people in boats/rafts - I guess one has to limit the operation of such a vessel to regions where other 'monsters' are around)

I do not think that RCCL hs not tought about these and other things - and I guess they have proper solutions as no one would dare to come up with such a ship if it would not be safe - I just would like to know more about this.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-09-2006 11:56 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
And indeed the number of people who sailed in them. I think you'd have to say that the period from the end of mass migration to the USA - early 1920s? - to the beginning of the current cruise era, was probably the period when ship travel was most exclusive, and catered to the smallest numbers.

I would say exclusive cruising ended by the late 1970s. On ships such as Rotterdam V you had very elegant (and wealthy) passengers traveling in real style. Loads of luggage, expensive designer gowns for the ladies and private cocktail parties were common on those long cruises. It was then end of an era as those genteel passengers were in their 70s and 80s then!

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.