- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » What do you think about a class system? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: What do you think about a class system?
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 04-12-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

What do you think about a class system on board a ship today, I think Cunard are one of the few lines that operate with any at all with Dining Rooms linked to the cabin standard and exclusive lounges for the top cabins.
Do you think an exclusive lounge or deck area attract extra people on board ?

Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 04-12-2001 01:30 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Quite frankly, I agree w/ the QE2 philosophy of linking accomodation to dining. If you think about it the per diems on QE2 range anywhere from about $300 - $4000 CDN. If I was paying top price I would prefer a finer dining experience than those that pay a minimum price.

If you look at some of the suites today - why pay for them if you're getting the same food and service as those that a one board for a sell off price.

It depends upon what you value in a cruise - and I enjoy the dining.

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 04-12-2001 02:00 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As an addition to my comment - it should also be noted that when QM2 comes into service - there will restaurants assigned by acomodation a la Queen's Grill and Princess Grill in addition to the main restaurant.

I do agree Celebrity has fine food - and if you get a great location in the restaurant (my favourite is under the staircase on Century - very intimate) it can give you the feel of a Grill experience.

Hats off to Fine Food!

Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 04-12-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am for it. But you knew I'd say that.

And dining rooms are the main reason.

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-12-2001 06:08 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that a class system would work quite well on QM2...but I'd take it a step further and have special lounges dedicated to Ultra First Class. There are many people out there who appreciate a separate Ultra Luxury part of the ship that only they have access to. Not neccesarily class system like in the old days, but yes an exclusive club-like atmosphere. The airlines have it....first-class only areas of the plane. I'd like to see it on QM2 where there are separate dining rooms, lounges, spas, libraries, promenades and areas dedicated to only those who are booked in Ultra First Class. I envision this "Ultra First Class" section to be above even what QE2 currently offers Grill passengers. Then one step down would be First Class, similar to what is currently offered on QE2 right now to Grill passengers. Then another step down would be Cruise Class for the majority of passengers on the ship. First Class and Cruise Class would share lounges, spas, libraries, promenades, etc. but have their own separate dining room. "Ultra First Class" would be completely separate with their own entrance to the ship even. There are people today that are in different social and economic levels.

[This message has been edited by Barryboat (edited 04-12-2001).]

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 04-12-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds good but lets go one step further. You can't be a nouveau riche and buy a Rolls Royce. You must either have old money or extreme amounts of money and then sometimes only a second hand Rolls. The same should be for the Ultra Class, you must be earning at least $400,000 a year, individual income, For first class, $250,000 a year and for the slum side of the cruise, who cares. Oh, by the way when you pay the $50,000 a week for Ultra you can certainly afford the $500 tip to each and every person and the First class certainly you can afford to pay your $350 a week tip to each and all involved. I believe that cruise ships went bankrupt under this system, maybe Carnival would like to employ this on their ships, NOT. Bear in mind I use the term CLass very loosely in this post. If Cunard was doing so very well with the class system, why did they need the inflush of money from Carnival, why did all of their passenger ships disappear. Because people like myself certainly won't have anything to do with snobs like you folk. Sorry but if the snoot fits wear it.

Cruisinisforeveryone!!!!!

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
ocngypz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1555

posted 04-12-2001 08:50 PM      Profile for ocngypz   Email ocngypz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't particularly like the phrase "class" system. Let's refer to it as "Upgraded Accommodations".

Does it attract more people??? Really hard to tell.

But I personally would rather have a lower-mid-priced accommodation on a fabulous 1200 passenger ship offering brilliant service and food than anything else. I don't care for the little guys (Seabourn)......too small!!

Posts: 343 | From: Newport, RI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-12-2001 10:12 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
THE CLASS SYSTEM BELONGS IN THE GARBAGE HEAP OF HISTORY!

You elitests who want a class system, are you willing to pay $1000 a day for a cruise?
When I am on a cruise vacation I do not want to feel as though I settled for less.

Why do I want to be stigmatized as being rich or poor.

A cabin is a place to sleep, shower, and have sex. I want to be out and about the ship. The less I spend on a cabin, leaves me more money for other important things.

Just because people have money to throw around does not mean they have class, or manners.

The class system was the ugly side of the Transatlantic era.

I was recently on the Norway.
CLASS OF PASSENGERS AUTOMATICALLY DIVIDES ITSELF BY THE ACTIVITIES they are drawn to.

There is a 4pm tea with classical music, and proper attire is required. The cultural people go to that, and those who are 'lower class' can sing at the competing Kareoke activity.

The Lido buffet with hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, and Pizza attracted middle America.

In the Sports Illustrated cafe, there was a different ethnic buffet each day [eg Indian, Chinese, Caribbean, Japanese, etc]. This attracted the better heeled and cultured passengers on board. It was far less crowded too.

I agree with Malcolm, if one want's a formal dining experience, there can be a formal and informal dining room. Cambodge,my father and grandfather: old world gentleman, would never not wear a jacket and tie in a resaurant. My parents always booked lower grade cabins, so they could afford to bring the kids along. I see no reason why someone in a grade 'Z" cabin cannot buy a table in a formal dining room for extra, and those in a deluxe, can get a discount for causal dining.

[This message has been edited by desirod6 (edited 04-14-2001).]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 04-13-2001 06:04 AM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As Malcolm says, a good topic, and one that, IMHO, is much misunderstood. I don't believe that Cunard is the only line operating this sort of policy - it's just the only one honest enough to admit it.

Having sailed QE2 several times (and going again this summer), I have found that it has a greater diversity of passengers, and, curiously enough, to be less 'class conscious' than any other ship we've been on. I'm sure this is due to both the huge range of cabin categories and the restaurant grading system.

My knowledge of other lines is limited so I have to go by the reviews I have read from other people, read between the lines, and check the 'facts' they give.

Several ships which have more than one main restaurant allocate the passengers to the restaurant by cabin category. While I'm sure that they will claim that they are of the same standard I'm also convinced that they won't stay the same standard for long. If they have one restaurant full of top-grade cabin, suite and penthouse passengers and one full of lower grade, last minute cheap-deal passengers where do they put the good waiters? And which galley do you think the best chefs are in?

Many, if not all, lines give various benefits to their suite passengers that are not available to the others. I read one review recently (I wish I could remember the ship) which mentioned: a private lounge for the suites and penthouses, butler service, priority tendering, priority embarkation and disembarkation, and priority booking for the alternative restaurant. Here's where I read between the lines. If the alternative restaurant is good, and the suite passengers have priority, how does anyone from the lower grades get in there? Or have they just created a private restaurant for their top cabin grades while still being able to claim that it is open for everyone? What's all this if its not a 'class' system? And, in practice, how does it differ from Cunard's system which some people find objectionable?

Exclusive lounges and deck areas? In principle I have no objection but I wouldn't be too happy if they had, for example, the only deck area or lounge with a view over the bow of the ship. Or the only 'quiet' lounge. Or whatever. Does it attract more people? I don't know. Shouldn't the question be, 'Does it attract more people than it deters?' Or even, 'Does it attract enough people paying a hefty premium to outweigh the possibly (probably?) higher number of people, many of whom would have been paying much lower prices?

I hope that this isn't an indication that Cunard are having second thoughts about the setup aboard QM2.

Regards, Colin.

Posts: 283 | From: Inverness, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 04-13-2001 09:25 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
An interesting subject, back once again. Let's face it, Carnival bought Cunard for the name and at a good price. They figured they could turn a badly run company into a money making brand. The only real asset being the well known QE2, with that ship you have to keep the Class system going to make any money, otherwise people wouldn't go on it. We went once, for the experience, and certainly would not bother to waste our money there again, and yes obviously we were in cattle class.
Having gone this far, then if only to keep the investment going a new ship is badly needed, and we have QM2 which once again will have to have classes just to attract the people with the snob values and money.
BUT...please don't call it a cruise ship - it's not - any more than the QE2 is a 'cruise ship'. She's a Western Ocean passenger ship, an anachronism, with classes, that goes cruising in the winter quiet time as did so many of her predecessors.
If Carnival thinks it can pay, and obviously they think it's worth it, I say 'Good Luck' to them.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-13-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Desirod6...and many others who responded here are thinking too much like democrates, where they feel all people should live in a utopia where no one has anymore wealth than the next person. It's just not going to happen. If you live in any town, you are going to have restaurants that some just can't afford...sorry but those are the facts. Not everyone enjoys the same social and economic level of someone who may for example eat at McDonalds. An Ocean Liner is like a city at sea, so there will be different social and economic levels among the passengers. There are people who frequently cruise on Cyrstal that simply wouldn't cruise on Carnival or even Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, because they are too "mass market" and don't have the exclusivity of Crystal or Seabourn, etc. There is NOTHING wrong with having an exclusive part of the ship. I am all for taking out the word "Class" because that word seems to upset people. How about "Ultra Luxury Cruise Section" and then "Luxury Cruise Section", and finally "Premium Cruise Section"?

Having worked on QE2 I saw first-hand how the diversity in the "Classes" made a crossing or cruise that much more interesting. I know there are a small percentage of extremely wealthy or important, or famous people like Presidents, kings, queens, monarchs, who would appreciate the exclusivity of crossing or cruising in their own Ultra-Luxury section of the QM2. And for those who are in the lowly "Cruise Section" which is not so lowly, would say, "hey, did you know that the president is on this cruise"? They will perhaps never see the president, but knowing the president is there is interesting enough. I remember when Neil Diamond crossed on QE2, people were talking...."did you hear that Neil Diamond is onboard"? Few people saw him, but he was there. Poor Neil Diamond had to walk the decks of the QE2 in the middle of the night, so he didn't have to engage in conversations with everyone who saw him and wanted to say hello and meet him.

Face it, the reality is that there is a place on an "Ocean Liner" for "Classes". It makes crossing or cruising more interesting and accomodating for people from all walks of life. The wealthy have a taste for some foods that most of us just plain wouldn't enjoy. Those who are not economically blessed, (like myself) often prefer a hotdog, or a McDonald's BigMac to the exquisite duck liver patte. I think people who complain about the "Class" system are simply jealous and don't seem to want to accept that there are others out there who simply have more money than most of us. I'm comfortable with my "Class". I'm secure with my economic level...I'd certainly like to have more money, but I'll just have to work harder.

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 04-13-2001 06:32 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I emphasize with desirod6. I don't like classes either. But I don't have to be a democrat to know it's not right to split people up because of race, creed or even wealth. If you want a ship for the rich, then you make the whole ship for the rich.

You don't reserve the upper decks for the rich and the lower decks for the not so rich.
I can afford both and I would be turned off
by a ship with these rules.

A restaurant serves food for the rich or food for the not so rich. Seldom will you see one serve food for both. Barryboat, don't what you are talking about.

There is really not that much difference from a coach ticket and a first class ticket on an airplane. A couple hundred dollars? So what.
Anyone can go First Class.

The extremely wealthy will buy their own yacht and hire their own crew. Or they will book the 30 and 40 night cruises. Money can buy anything. Yes. But whether we are envious or not, it doesn't matter. The majority of the common people will not participate in a cruise where they don't have full access to all decks, all facilities.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
cobra
First Class Passenger
Member # 1605

posted 04-13-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for cobra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can only hope this does not happen on Celebrity, RCL, Princess, and NCL. HAL does have some dining area's off the main dining room for people in the suites. I personally find it very rewarding to talk to all cruisers of different walks of life. It makes you appreciate what you have and to know that for 7 or so days cruisers are all treated equally and respectfully regardless of how much money they may have. Don't ever forget that there are a lot of wealthy passengers that will stay in lower class staterooms just to save some money.
Posts: 21 | From: north palm beach, fl. u.s | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-14-2001 08:59 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barryboat:
Desirod6...and many others who responded here are thinking too much like him.

Barryboat,

As in previous posts you oversimplify and catagorize people and ethnic groups.

Do not assume how I think, Democrat or Republican, which makes little sense to the Europeans on this board, class division on a ship says those who pay less are second class people, I would not go to a land based resort where I did not have the full run of the facilities.

I do not feel sorry for Niel Diamond. Greta Garbo and Marylin Monroe, would dress up as maids and enter the ship thru the crew entrance to avoid onlookers. Celebrities today are famous for 15 minutes.

BTW I love duck liver pate, octopus, rabbit, and quail, I hate McDonalds, Benigan's, Friday's, Chili's and their over processed rain-forest beef.

I am not a millionaire.

Harry Truman once said "If you want to live like a Republican, vote for a Democrat"

The Democrats are not responisble for Watergate, $3 trillion deficits, Iranscam,
IranContra, the 1990 recession, shutting down the gov't twice, Impeachment, and Florida election rigging.

PS: most millionaires in America make their money with dry cleaning and auto repair type businesses, many do not have a college education.

They would do so well in the Princess Grill of the QE2 fumbling for the salad fork, appetizer fork etc. They will have much in common with Marc Rich, Kirk Kirkorian, Charles Keating, whom they may share a table with.

Many nouveau riche who love the snob appeal of first class are ill mannered, ostentatious about thier money that they have not yet learned to handle.

Some have debt loads that are incredible. many got that way by illegal means.

The old money of Boston, New York, and Philly
are very discrete about it, spend it carefully, drive used Buicks, fly coach, and take lower grade cabins on a cruise ship. This is how they stay rich and keep away gold diggers.

I am not trying to change Barryboat's mind, but I and many who DO NOT think like Barryboat will simply not book a segregated ship.

Consumer soveriegnty wins.

from Emily Post on class divided ships:

'It may be pretty accurately said that the faster and bigger the ship, the less likely one is to speak to strangers. Because the Worldleys, Oldnames, the Eminents never pick up aquaintances on shipboard, it does not follow no fashionable and well born people ever drift into aquaintanceship on board.
Many in fact take the voyage as a rest cure and stay in their cabins the whole time. Meals are always served in their drawing rooms and keep to themselves except when they have invited friends of their own over to play bridge."

PS
W. Somerset Maughan always travelled 2nd class. First class was too stuffy and 3rd class was too boorish. His short story "The Know-all" is a transatlantic tale.

PSS
The word Snob comes from the latin term Sine Nobila= people not of nobility act like and aspire to and disdain thier equals and those below

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-14-2001 12:45 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never said anything about race and Ascendancy seemed to have picked that out. Our society is already segregated, there are people who have a lot of money there are people who have a modest amount of money, and there are people who have hardly any money. Cruise ships are segregated too, believe it or not. Instead of being called "Classes" they are called "Gategories". The Carnival Victory for example has a Category 4A which is an inside stateroom, and then on the flip side, this ship also has a Category 12 (Large Private Balcony Suites). Those in Category 4A cannot wander onto the Cat12 suite "Private Balcony". Awe.....too bad. Maybe someday when they win the lottery or something they can buy a Cat 12 Suite with a Private Balcony. I know I'm oversimplifying it, but I also know that the majority of the cruising public wouldn't care if there was a small area on a massive ship that they just cannot play on. An area reserved for Ultra Luxury passengers. I think this concept of segregation on a ship is just too difficult for some people to grasp...it's an emotional issue....All I have to say is get over it.

When I use to work on a cruise ship that went out on day cruises form San Diego to Ensenada, we had 800 passengers a day from many walks of life, but mostly people who save for weeks their $60 per person to take a CRUISE. There are certain people groups who just have different tastes and act in certain ways that are similar to others in their same economic level. For example when our performers would go out to entertain, they would often face a crowd of drunk fools that would even throw food at them....and these were good etertainers.....these people just plain don't know how to act in a classy environment. That's why you wouldn't see anyone from Seabourn or Crystal cruising on that ship. I could go on and on, but I have to go now so maybe more later.

topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 04-14-2001 04:30 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
".....these people just plain don't know how to act in a classy environment."

This is one of the best assessments that I have read concerning some passengers on todays cruises.

Unfortunately, a screening process is undemocratic. It would be nice however to think that everybody had a reasonable level of manners and had acceptable levels of hygeine.

Duck don.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
M.S.Grumple
First Class Passenger
Member # 1340

posted 04-14-2001 05:08 PM      Profile for M.S.Grumple     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by topgun:
".....these people just plain don't know how to act in a classy environment."

This is one of the best assessments that I have read concerning some passengers on todays cruises.

Unfortunately, a screening process is undemocratic. It would be nice however to think that everybody had a reasonable level of manners and had acceptable levels of hygeine.

Duck don.

Hopefully we're not equating acceptable manners,behaviour & habits with money - it doesn't necessarily follow.

Posts: 280 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-14-2001 06:03 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add that perhaps, rather than "Class", Cunard could designate the Ultra-Luxury part of the ship, "Members-Only" areas. Ultra-Luxury, Luxury, Premium. The Ultra-Luxury could be a members only part of the ship. For those who can afford the membership dues and the cost of the apartments and facilities....they would enjoy exclusive areas of the ship, IE...dining, lounges, bars, spas, etc.

I want to also expand on what I said earlier about the people who didn't know how to act in a classy environment...believe it or not there are people out there who just don't know how to act in a formal, classy, conservative, high-society environment. Getting back to the drunks that saved for weeks and weeks to take a "luxury one day cruise to Mexico" on a "Cruise Ship", and their idea of fun and vacation is to get absolutely drunk as a skunk, my question to some of you who responded emotionally to the concept of separate parts of the ship for "First-Class", Would YOU enjoy your cruise with a boat load of drunks who shout during the shows, throw food at the entertainers, and act inappropriately? What would you say to yourself if you were sitting next to one of these party animal drunks while they puke all over the floor and swear and heckle the MC? Hey, I've been there as an MC trying to keep control of the showroom while people talked loudly during the show. We had really good shows too.

I know that this is an extreme, but I'm trying to get my point across. Are YOU going to say, "No way buddy, I don't think you should be able to enjoy your high-society members-only part of the ship, even though you paid a fortune....I should be able to walk those decks too and eat in those fancy dining rooms too." Now who's being segregated? Who's being put out?

I've traveled the world; India, Africa, Asia, Europe, the Caribbean, all across the States, and I have a healthy respect for people of all economic levels. I don't get upset if someone pays more money to be a part of a "Members-only" club. Heck....if I had the money I'd probable enjoy having a membership and going to the private clubs.

I know how many of the wealthy live, in fact I have many very wealthy friends and even a couple of famous friends. They are people just like you and me, yet if they want to pay for a special membership and enjoy an exclusive service or club, then hey....good for them.

PC
First Class Passenger
Member # 1191

posted 04-14-2001 08:59 PM      Profile for PC   Email PC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Segregation exists all over. Those who paid for the cruise get to go onto the cruise ship that they paid for; those who haven't paid for the cruise or, for that cruise ship, don't get to go on the cruise. You've segregated yourself by paying more money than the landlubber.

You want a single occupancy room rather than a twin share? You pay for it, and other passengers on the ship don't get access to that cabin.

Some have said they wouldn't go on a ship where they don't have access to all the facilities of the ship. Well, does this mean that a woman would insist on access to the men's toilet, and vice versa? And must the shower facilities in the gym/sauna be open to use by both sexes at all times?

A cruise is a product/service no different than any other product or service that you buy. So long as you know the conditions and limitations of the product that you're purchasing, and the provider delivers the product as specified, what's the big deal if, on the same cruise ship, there are different products with different conditions than the one you've purchased? It's up to you to choose what you wish to purchase.

Actually, I'm very glad that the QE2 has rooms that are grouped into different categories, and that the passenger in the ultra expensive suite pays for a disproportionate amount of the cost, so that I can purchase a cruise at a price that I think represents good value for what I'm getting for the cruise. This doesn't mean that I can't afford a suite; I can, but to myself, I can't justify the cost for the benefit or value of being able to eat in the Grills or have a drink in the lounge reserved for Queen's Grill diners. The Yacht Club disco also states no pax under 16 years old can enter after 10:30 pm. Other than the restaurants, those two lounges, each pax's cabin/suite, and separate sex toilets and showers, all the other common facilities on the QE2 are open to all cruise passengers, regardless of age, sex, race, creed, national origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, or any other discriminatory category. In my view, Cunard has done an excellent job of de-segregating the cruise/ocean crossing experience.

Posts: 102 | From: Hong Kong, SAR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 04-14-2001 09:11 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well said PC!
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 04-15-2001 03:13 PM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Give it a break Barryboat. Cat 4 can't wander into the Cat 12 "Private Balcony". What sort of a statement is that. Are you on the other hand saying that Cat 12 people can rummage through Cat 4 Cabins and that is all right. The "Segragated Private Area" of the ship that you have the right to when purchasing the Cat 12 is your Balcony. Nothing else according to the brochures. You have paid for this luxury and you deserve it but don't tell others that therre will be great food for the "Rich and Famous" and Micky Dees for the rest. The great part of cruising that has made the industry so successful is the fact that everyone gets the same treatment with only few exceptions which are on the majority very minor. ie faster boarding which is granted with most suites and pax that have traveled with the line on many prior occasions.

Thispostisgreat!!

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 04-16-2001 02:01 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes I know CTrail, I was being absurd, but I was trying to get a point across. PC did a nice job too of getting the point across. I just get a kick out of how so many people get so offended and defensive regarding this issue of "Ultra-First Class", "First Class" and "Cruise Class". I'm sure Gerry is finding this thread quite interesting. So Gerry what do you think of my: "Ultra-First Class", "First Class" and "Cruise Class" concept? I'm sure Cunard has it all worked out by now how their going to arrange the "Classes", but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. To get rid of the word "Class" which seems to offend some, what do you think of my idea of the Ultra-Luxury passengers buying a special club membership to be able to cruise in the Ultra-Luxury part of the ship?
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 04-16-2001 02:49 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Type of cabin has nothing to do with the segregation I'm talking about. We hope no one will be allowed into your cabin except your steward and porter. I'm talking about access to all passenger decks.

All cabins on cruise ships are closets anyway. The wealthy can afford a larger closet with a little walkout balcony and a chair. Wow! Knock yourself out!

PC, if you think I was talking about the access to both sexes of bathrooms, get a life!

On all cruise ships I've been on, the wealthy must rub elbows with everyone else. Yep. Maybe they can buy their own private show in their closet, I don't know. The only "private" areas are an occasional off-hour private singles party or business meeting in one of the lounges. If it gets to be anymore than this, the cruise line will not survive. This is reality.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
dbr46
First Class Passenger
Member # 1544

posted 04-16-2001 05:27 PM      Profile for dbr46   Email dbr46   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i guess barryboat would want seperate lifeboats if there was a accident, like on the titanic, keep the lower class lock below untill the "better class" get into the boats
Posts: 10 | From: thiells, new york , usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 04-16-2001 09:24 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Barryboat's comments are being distorted and misunderstood.

The class system is alive and well on cruise ships today, just like society today.

All of the major lines give perks for passengers in higher-priced cabins that have absolutely nothing to do with the room. That's what the so-called class system is all about -- getting more by paying more.

HAL, the most cherished line of the majority of posters on this Board has a separate lounge on the Amsterdam for suite passengers.

Princess offers butler service to certain suite passengers.

NCL offers concierge service to suite passengers.

Carnival offers priority check in and embarkation to suite passengers.

Cunard has the famous (or infamous)"Grills."

Let me say this. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH PROVIDING EXTRA NICETIES TO THOSE WHO PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR A CRUISE. And taking advantage of these perks does not make a person a snob. You get what you pay for, and if you pay extra, you have every right to expect more. Those who so adamently denounce this are, in my opinion, the biggest snobs of all.

Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.