- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Port Canaveral Gets A New Ship

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Port Canaveral Gets A New Ship
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 12-19-2002 04:12 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just read a notice sent to me from Port Canaveral. In March 2003, we're getting a
new ship. For the moment it's called M/V MAGIC 1. Please don't confuse it with
DISNEY MAGIC. It will be doing 2 & 3 day cruises. The
ship haas been around since
the late 70's. The name of the new cruise line called Ocean Club Cruises. The ship
has been doing Med. Trips for a while. It's undergoing refurbishment in Greece. This cruise line will also be adding a new ship later in 2003.
The company running the M/V
MAGIC 1, is called Alberta
Trading Co. The ship holds
900 pax. Please, any info on this ship, photos etc. would
be apprreciated. This cruise
line plans on operating a cruise ship out of Pt. Canaveral every day of the week. Soooooo........this sounds very good. As it appears this company will be filling a BIG void left by our beloved Premier Cruise Line and Cape Canaveral Cruise Line. Thank you for the info and photo.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-19-2002 06:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She's an ex ro-ro, been around since '71 ish. I sailed her in '77, and have the required bow shot. Been through many names since then. Not sure how she'll turn out as Magic I.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
HomeLines
First Class Passenger
Member # 1707

posted 12-19-2002 06:40 PM      Profile for HomeLines     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone know anything about this cruise line?
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 12-20-2002 04:52 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
She's an ex ro-ro
Hey Pam what does that mean? And for the moment, she is known as the
M/V MAGIC 1. When she gets
to Port Canaveral in March,
they are planning on giving her a new name.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-20-2002 05:10 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Ro-Ro stands for “roll on roll off”. For instance a car ferry is a Ro-Ro ship. A while back in the
“Technically Speaking” section was a thread about Ro-Ro ships here is the link:LINK

Is the M/V MAGIC 1 new name already know?

Best, Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 12-21-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Onno, for the information on what a ro-ro is. I've sailed on a former ferry once before, the M/V
CROWN DEL MAR. That was a wonderful cruise too, we did
a 2 day cruise on it out of West Palm Beach, then took it for a 5 day MX cruise. It
was really great and I LOVED
the ship too. Currently the
vessel for this new cruise line, called Ocean Club Cruises; is called M/V MAGIC
1. They are going to give it a new name when it gets to Port Canaveral this coming March.

Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 12-22-2002 12:22 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here some information about this ship which is quite known here in Europe:

It was built in 1972 as the last of 3 sisterships at Dubigeon-Normandie yards in Nantes / France.
MV THE AZUR (Festival Cruises) and REGAL VOYAGER (Int. Shipping Partners) are the other two ships of this series.
This one was ordered by Fred. Olsen Lines and entered service as the BOLERO. In 1973 it was chartered to Prinzenlinien on several lines. As from 1976 Fundy Lines chartered the ferry for some lines out of England. During the winter period it was chartered by Commodore Cruises for Caribbean Cruises.
Stena Line chartered the ship in 1978 and it was renamed SCANDINAVICA. When this was over in 1981, it was renamed again BOLERO. In 1983 a fire damaged the ship in the cardeck but the ship could be repaired at Blohm & Voss yard.
After that, Vaaslaivat chartered the ship in 1985.
In 1990 Color Line purchased the ship and renamed it JUPITER. Between May and September 1994 it was chartered to Viking Line and then entered service as a cruiseship named CRUCERO EXPRESS for Promotora de Navigation, still on charter.
Empress Cruise Line planned to come up with the ship as the SEMINOLE EXPRESS but it wasn't realized. The ship was laid up in St. Petersburg.
In 1999 Alberta Trading purchased the ship for Israelian interests. It was renamed MAGIC I and started sailing for Magic Cruise Line. This also contained extensive refurbishments in Perama (parts of the superstructure were changed as well as a fully enclosed bridge added).
Often Magic Cruise Line is confused with Mano Maritime but they have nothing in common except that both ships are operated with ukrainian crew.
Will be interesting to see this ship in Port Canaveral I wonder if it will be the right choice as it is more a ferry than a cruiseship. Maybe THE AZUR would be the better choice as Poulides is looking for a charterer.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 12-22-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Patrick. Well, I can tell you, when Crown Cruise Line started in West Palm Beach, they did really well with their first ro-ro.
That was the CROWN DEL MAR, each time my husband and I were on it, it went out full. Food and service, definitely 5 *******s. You got a bottle of Champagne in your room, with the Line's logo on it. It was very popluar. I think this ship will do well here too. Did'nt the BOLERO have 2 small smokestacks astern? I have an old postcard of it.
Wish we had a more recent photo of her as the M/V MAGIC 1.
Thank you again for the info.

Namlit
First Class Passenger
Member # 1940

posted 12-22-2002 11:51 PM      Profile for Namlit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are we talking about this ship?

MV Bolero when operated by Festival Lines

Posts: 309 | From: Greene County, Indiana, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 12-23-2002 02:20 AM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Namlit, the beautiful BOLERO you posted is the former STARWARD of 1968 built for Kloster.

The one talked about here is different and you can see her here, on this page

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-23-2002 06:27 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link Dominique, that was quite help full. I guess that Magic 1 (what ever name she will get) will certainly stand out from the general crowd of ships in port Carnival. For a ferry build ship she isn’t that bad looking there are many examples of ferries that are really ugly ducklings.

Best, Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Namlit
First Class Passenger
Member # 1940

posted 12-23-2002 09:51 PM      Profile for Namlit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Vaccaro!

Here's a recent photo of the Magic 1 from the link Vaccaro thoughtfully provided:

Posts: 309 | From: Greene County, Indiana, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 12-24-2002 04:47 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm impressed with her. She kind of reminds me of the
FLAVIA. Very trim and good looking. I'd sail on this ship. And I can't wait to see what else Ocean Club Cruises is going to bring into the fold. They have another ship coming to Canaveral in Nov. 2003. They
want to make sure they have a ship leaving every day from Pt. Canaveral. A really neat idea. Namlit, thank you for pulling up the photo that Vaccaro provided the link to.

Marlowe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1632

posted 02-14-2003 01:44 AM      Profile for Marlowe   Email Marlowe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate to poop on the party, but has anyone looked at the vessel's deck plan...three quarters of the cabins are inside and from what I can tell, people (North Americans anyway) just do not want a cabin without a window and they certainly won't pay those premium prices.

I say three to four months tops and this one is bust!

Posts: 414 | From: mt. vernon, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 02-14-2003 01:03 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Capt. C. Marlow. I guess the ship won't be seen very long on her new schedule....
Just to say that the old DOLPHIN IV was a much better unit than this old ferry.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
ocngypz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1555

posted 02-14-2003 02:52 PM      Profile for ocngypz   Email ocngypz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think you'll see her in Pt Canaveral by March. A report I read on the Liners List still has her tied up in Greece... just sitting there.
Posts: 343 | From: Newport, RI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.