- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Technically Speaking   » Ro-Pax

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ro-Pax
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 09-18-2002 07:13 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A question that's been puzzling me - most of the big overnight ferries in Europe are called "ro-pax" which I assume means a ro-ro vessel, but one that carries passengers... Now, I have always thought that a ro-ro vessel must have both a bow AND stern door, as ro-ro means "roll on, roll off" and they must roll on one end, and off the other.

However it seems that many of the older "ro-pax" vessels (like Winston Churchill) have only got bow doors. Thus, are they being incorrectly called "ro-pax" or does "ro-pax" not require both bow and stern doors? If so, is this true with regard to "ro-ro" as well?

And I would think that cars for a vessel with only bow door enter the ship through that door, but how do they leave? Wouldn't they have to turn around somewhere, in order not to be aiming the wrong direction? Or are they backed out?

Sorry for the long questions, unfortunately, most pages having to do with this sort of vessel (barring the ferry companies' pages, I mean enthusiast pages) seem to be in Finnish, if not they are Swedish or if we are really luck we'll find one in the (machine-translatable) Dutch or German.

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: Cruiseny ]

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 2227

posted 09-20-2002 02:49 PM      Profile for Anders   Email Anders   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Cruiseny

I don´t think you can call Winston Churchill a Ro-Pax ship. She is too small to take larger ojects than cars. Your question about the ships that only have bow doors, I´ll remember, when I was young and this is many years ago, I saw when they loaded a passenger/ferry in Ystad destinated to Bornholm. The doors to the car deck was situated on the starboard side, and inside the door there was a large disc, where they placed the car and turned it around. Maybe they have a similar disc in the aft of the car deck so they can turn the cars around.

Regard Anders

Posts: 25 | From: Jonkoping Sweden | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-20-2002 03:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe a ro-pax is a combined freight/passenger vessel, so would agree with Anders. I don't know for sure though.
Interesting re your 'disc'. I have been on a couple of the one opening ferries and the cars just did a 'U' turn at the end. When the ship was loaded, the first car in drove up one side, U turned and down the other, with all cars following. So when full half the vehicles would be facing one way and half the other. The last cars in would be alongside the first cars in but facing opposite directions. First in first out..if I have explained clearly enough? I recall it was 2 lanes of cars each way, but a long while ago and no idea which ferry now.
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-20-2002 03:35 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CruiseNY here's a car deck layout for a small catamaran showing the turning I was attempting to explain with some vehicles one way etc.

...it doesn't show up here as needs a dark background. So here's the site.

Pam

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: PamM ]

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 09-20-2002 03:51 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
CruiseNY here's a car deck layout for a small catamaran showing the turning I was attempting to explain with some vehicles one way etc.

Thanks, that really helps, now I can see how these things work .

Only one thing - the site offering Winston Churchill for sale says that she has a stern door. However in pictures I don't see one. If they are correct, she wasn't a good example for this.

Now: does ro-ro (roll on, roll off) mean that the vehicles have to be able to roll on and roll off without turning, or would a ship like the one in Pam's picture count as ro-ro?

Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 09-20-2002 04:31 PM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doug,

Pam explained very well how cars are loaded on "ro-ro" ships. The difference is that you have now 4, 5 or 6 lanes each way.

"Ethimologically", at the origine of the "ro-ro" appellation, the term meant "embark on one end, disembark the other end".

I did embark about 20 times this way on ferries.
But this was before ESTONIA's tragedy (1986 if I remember well).

Immediately after, the bow doors were usually kept closed (sometimes welded aboard some ships) and the cars embarked then from stern, with the "U turn" method Pam described. I then embarked about 30 times that way.
So many "real" ro-ro ferries became then permanently or temporarily one opening embarkation/disembakation.

After several years, when armators had to replace some of these ships, several of them were prefered to have one opening instead of two for avoiding any problem (not all however and some of them do have lateral doors used for emergency or main doors break only).
One, two or three doors, all these ferries were then all considered as "ro-ro" ships. The term has now extended to all of them.

It is to be noted, stern-doors only ferries are much more numerous than bow-doors only ones.
During the very last years (6/7 years), both entrance doors are now re-used more often than during the previous decade, since technical/safety progress has permitted to recover the original "ro-ro" usage in adequation with an improved reglementation (usually well respected in western Europe).

In fact, any ship that allows embarkation/disembarkation of foods or vehicles using the rolling way only, so without cranes/portico, can be considered as "ro-ro".
Of course, some of them are mixed too (ro-ro garages + cranes).

Bye.

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-20-2002 04:34 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cruiseny:

Now: does ro-ro (roll on, roll off) mean that the vehicles have to be able to roll on and roll off without turning, or would a ship like the one in Pam's picture count as ro-ro?

They are all roll on roll off, but I think generally a 'ro-ro' is just a freight carrier with cargo moved on wheels. I am not sure if there are some specific definitions laid down somewhere, nor am I sure when the term ro-pax started to be used, just to distinguish ro-ro s that carried passengers and those that didn't. Confusing.

"The so-called ro-pax vessel has turned out to be a successful type on many ferry routes, taking he best out of both the ferry and the ro-ro vessel. The point is, that despite its passenger capacity, the ro-pax is a genuine ro-ro vessel with an impressive cargo capacity and truly rational cargo handling." from

this page.

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 09-20-2002 06:36 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, a ro-ro is anything where you roll things on and off?

I find it interesting that the new Dana Gloria for the Harwich-Ejsberg run is labelled "DFDS Ro-Pax" - this is quite literally what the side of the ship says.

Its sister ship will be designed with a larger passenger accomodation, I wonder if that will also be called ro-pax?

You can see more of this new "ro-pax" vessel, with many great pictures, here. Swedish only, but pictures are multilingual.

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 09-20-2002 07:30 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi...Ro-pax is merely a short form of Ro-Ro Passenger. In other words a roll on roll off ship regardless of how many or where the doors are, that also carries passengers. Simple.

You can have ro-ro cargo ships that have huge stern or quarter ramps and all the cargo is loaded using machinery. Thirty years ago the Swedes put the first 3 of this type on the Trans-Pacific run to Australia replacing 12 ordinary cargo ships plus they carried twice the cargo.

In the old days on the West Coast the ferries had "freight decks" with side doors for carrying mail and small packages to the outports- ramps were used at the main terminals. In the 20s more and more cars were being carried and the decks were getting larger and larger. The first drive through vessels came in the early '50s and made a tremendous difference.
One big difference with the ferries here is that whilst most of the bigger ones have bow doors they do not have to be watertight as the main cardeck itself is. I was amazed to read in the "Herald of Free Enterprise" Enquiry that at full speed loaded she was a metre by the head and the bow wave was 6 -SIX Metres up the bow doors!!!
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-20-2002 07:43 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gohaze:

You can have ro-ro cargo ships that have huge stern or quarter ramps and all the cargo is loaded using machinery.

I thought these were now called the Lo-Lo s? Lift on/lift off?

I have also seen a ro-pax referred to as a ro-ro-pax.

"Are you going on a ro-ro, ro-pax, ro-ro-pax, lo-lo or a lo-pax [if there is one]?"
"No Sire, I'm going on a car ferry."

Pam

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 09-20-2002 08:57 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just found this pix
...peter

[ 09-20-2002: Message edited by: gohaze ]

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 09-20-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thirty years ago the Swedes put the first 3 of this type on the Trans-Pacific run to Australia replacing 12 ordinary cargo ships plus they carried twice the cargo.

I know this is rather a silly question, but exactly how does one go across the Pacific from Sweden ?

quote:
One big difference with the ferries here is that whilst most of the bigger ones have bow doors they do not have to be watertight as the main cardeck itself is. I was amazed to read in the "Herald of Free Enterprise" Enquiry that at full speed loaded she was a metre by the head and the bow wave was 6 -SIX Metres up the bow doors!!!

You've lost me here. How can the car deck be watertight without the door that encloses it being watertight? Isn't it the door that keeps it watertight?

And a ship being a metre by the head - you mean that the bow was a metre lower than the stern?

Sorry for so many questions !

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 09-20-2002 10:55 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pacific Australia Direct Line owned by Swedish Transatlantic.

The deck, which is what you walk on, is itself w/t and stops water going down below.

Yes, the bow would be 3.3 ft deeper than the stern. That is how she sank. As she increased speed with the doors not closed properly the bow dropped and the bow wave came up and started to flood the car deck at the same time as the ship started to turn out of the harbour. The water flowed to one side of the deck and was able to flood downwards as well, thereby increasing the capsizing motion - she just kept going.
A very poor design looking for a place to have an accident.
...peter

cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 09-20-2002 11:59 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pacific Australia Direct Line owned by Swedish Transatlantic.

I should have figured that one out... Of course all ships owned by Swedes don't necessarily go to and from Sweden ...

quote:
The deck, which is what you walk on, is itself w/t and stops water going down below.

But can't water still come in through the sides, where the doors are, thus still breaching the car deck?

quote:
Yes, the bow would be 3.3 ft deeper than the stern. That is how she sank. As she increased speed with the doors not closed properly the bow dropped and the bow wave came up and started to flood the car deck at the same time as the ship started to turn out of the harbour. The water flowed to one side of the deck and was able to flood downwards as well, thereby increasing the capsizing motion - she just kept going.

This makes sense... The bow went down... Wave swamps bow, goes through the door, and floods the car deck. Since the ship is already listing to one side as she turns, the water goes to one side and capsizes her.

The bit I don't is about flowing downwards... To where?

I imagine this has something to do with the deck not being w/t, it's obvious that I just can't envision that, since I don't really know which deck it is that's w/t.

I'm assuming that the water went not only through the door, but through the deck that is covering the car deck? Or did it go through the car deck itself (the deck the cars are sitting on) and into whatever is below the car deck?

Sorry, it's just rather difficult dissecting these things without any visuals.

And, just to be a total pain in the neck, I'll throw another question into the mix: what, if anything, is stopping another ro-pax vessel of going the way of Herald of Free Enterprise or Estonia? I mean, the mass media (and not being in Europe this is all we have, I know how wrong it usually is on matters like this) has told us that these vessels are inherently unsafe because the car deck is not divided. So are they still unsafe?

I find these vessels very fascinating and impressive, but there's still that underlying doubt in my mind that comes from blind exposure to the North American mass media on the subject of shipping.

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 09-21-2002 12:47 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NY....when you make the deck w/t it doesn't matter if water does come in because you have scuppers to let it run out again.
If the deck (the part you walk on) is NOT w/t then you have to stop water getting on it which means making the ship's sides and openings w/t.

The problem comes when this is breached such as the Estonia or, massively, like the HoFE. The water is trapped on the deck and can only drain downwards or rush around the deck as the ship moves destroying it's stability.

As to whether it can happen again, well yes I would say it can, because my faith in the standards being enforced by the Classification Societies and National Authorities is not great.

...peter

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.