- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » milestones in passenger ship history

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: milestones in passenger ship history
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-03-2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which ships do you think were in the history of passenger ships historically, aesthetically or technically important? Please try to limit yourself to the utmost important ships and -if you want - explain why you nominated them.

[ 12-03-2005: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-03-2005 07:56 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Ernst,

Three years ago Joe and I were doing research for the “Evolution of the Ocean Liner Poster” that I made (see the left menu) back then we also had a similar topic.

Here is the link

I would be interested to hear your list of ships.

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-03-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno's great poster concentrates on Ocean Liner evolution, rather than cruise ship. Of course the QE2 and QM2 are both hybrids.

However, there must be a number of ships that have advanced the design of cruise ship. The SS France's conversion to become the boggest Caribbean cruise ship springs to mind. RCI's floating resorts, inc. 'Voyager' and 'Carnival's' funships must have also played an important role?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-03-2005 10:12 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Had NCL not converted LeFrance to a cruiseship as a destination in itself and the biggest week in the world. RCCL would never have gone one better with the Soveriegn, then Voyager ships.

Essentially NCL proved against the conventional wisdom at the time that a megaship can be profitable and something the cruising public wants to buy.

quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
[QB]
However, there must be a number of ships that have advanced the design of cruise ship. The SS France's conversion to become the boggest Caribbean cruise ship springs to mind. RCI's floating resorts, inc. 'Voyager' QB]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 12-03-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great Britain for so many obvious reasons....
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-03-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lurline Class-for their superior engineering and incredibly long service careers.
Southern Cross-engines aft (even though she was not the 1st) she had an exciting new look.
Rotterdam V-combining old World style with a modern twist.
Canberra-for design elements (from nearly 50 years ago) seen on most of today's cruise ships.
QE2-reborn many times and still around after nearly 40 years of service.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 12-03-2005 09:19 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oceanic - transition between liner & "modern" cruise ship design.

Song of America - test ship for the mega ship designs that lead to Sovereign-class.

Tropicale - prototype for the modern Carnival Cruise ship.

Voyager of the Seas - Ice rink, and unusual amenities onboard a cruise ship.

Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 12-04-2005 01:33 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but the SS France had quite a unique funnel design with the large 'wings' that diverted engine exhaust and soot...was she the first to have a design like that?

What other liners/cruiseships before her had singularly unique or one-of-a-kind funnel designs that made them stand out, designs other than the typical round (tubular) or teardrop shaped (i.e Normandie), etc....

[ 12-04-2005: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 12-04-2005 08:16 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although small, slow and terrible seaboats, HAL's
Ryndam and Maasdam of '51 and '52 were the
first to offer two-classes on Transatlantic runs.
They were enormously successful and led the
road to many others.....Statendam of '57, the
Rotterdam of '59, the Saxonia sisters, the last
three CP liners among others. Let's not forget
the France of '62 also.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 12-04-2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Str. MISSISSIPPI QUEEN. She was the first overnight paddlewheel steamboat built tn America in nearly 50 years. She was the first steamboat to be built from the inside out with passenger comfort being James Gardner's primary concern. And never before had a steamboat built to operate on the Mississippi River System been designed to carry overnight passengers alone and no freight.

[ 12-04-2005: Message edited by: Frank X. Prudent ]

Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-04-2005 01:30 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
I don't know if it has been mentioned before, but the SS France had quite a unique funnel design with the large 'wings' that diverted engine exhaust and soot...

I'm not sure that they worked very well as NCL re-routed the fumes out of the top of the funnels via pipes.

The Carnival Funnel (which I personally hate) is almost a homage to the SS France.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-04-2005 01:45 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Finnjet - the gas turbine propulsion plant, the on this vessel introduced vertical separation of cabins and public rooms and also the size and speed make him an outstanding vessel.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-05-2005 10:40 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Royal Princess - introduced the layout/concept which is still used for nearly any ship built today.
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-05-2005 11:36 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeBarryboat:
Oceanic - transition between liner & "modern" cruise ship design.

Song of America - test ship for the mega ship designs that lead to Sovereign-class.

Tropicale - prototype for the modern Carnival Cruise ship.

Voyager of the Seas - Ice rink, and unusual amenities onboard a cruise ship.

For the modern day cruise industry, I agree with all of these choices. It's hard to say, but I might substitute SILJA SERENADE for VOYAGER OF THE SEAS since she really offered the first "Royal Promenade". I would also add ROYAL PRINCESS as a fifth choice. A special nod goes to ELATION for being the first cruise ship to use a pod propulsion system. I think almost any new ship sailing today can pay homage to one of these six ships.

Ernie

[ 12-05-2005: Message edited by: eroller ]

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-05-2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Radisson Diamond - a cul-de-sac but still worth mentioning.
Italianliners
First Class Passenger
Member # 5446

posted 12-05-2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Italianliners   Email Italianliners   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

i think it must be the first purpose built cruise liner. Is it Southern Cross?

Italianliners

Posts: 272 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Glencoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1181

posted 12-06-2005 05:24 AM      Profile for Glencoe   Email Glencoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally I think CP's second Empress Of Britain as it was like the QE2 a hybrid, built to run transatlantic in the summer and then with two props shipped, cruising in the winter. It also is a personal favourite of mine though I am way too young to have ever traveled on her.
Posts: 41 | From: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 12-06-2005 03:20 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Southen Cross was not the first purpose built cruise liner....it was Augusta Victoria, built for Hapag in 1891.

Here are my additions to the milestone topic:

Imperator - The first ship to exceed 50,000-tons.
Normandie - The first ship to exceed 1,000-ft.
QM2 - The first liner to exceed 1,100-ft.

As far as unusual funnels, I'd add both Michelangelo and Raffaello, their lattice stacks were extremely cool!

Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-06-2005 03:36 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

I'm not sure that they worked very well as NCL re-routed the fumes out of the top of the funnels via pipes.

The Carnival Funnel (which I personally hate) is almost a homage to the SS France.

I remember reading that the wing exhausts on Norway were no longer used because they needed costly repairs. It was cheaper to route the exhaust using standard pipes.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-06-2005 03:46 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Empress of Britain II was built for 1/5 the cost of the Normandie and by no means was 1/5 the ship.

quote:
Originally posted by Glencoe:
Personally I think CP's second Empress Of Britain as it was like the QE2 a hybrid, built to run transatlantic in the summer and then with two props shipped, cruising in the winter. It also is a personal favourite of mine though I am way too young to have ever traveled on her.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.