- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Evolution of the Ocean Liner

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Evolution of the Ocean Liner
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 07-02-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am working on a project that examines the evolution of the ocean liner and would be most interested in the opinions of our resident experts. I am looking for the 15 ships that best illustrate the evolution of this type of vessel over the past 100 or so years.

To get thinks started I have put together the following list...

1969 QUEEN ELIZABETH 2
1962 FRANCE
1960 CANBERRA
1952 UNITED STATES
1936 QUEEN MARY
1935 NORMANDIE
1927 ÎLE DE FRANCE
1914 AQUITANIA
1914 VATERLAND
1912 TITANIC
1907 MAURETANIA
1897 KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE
1888 CITY OF NEW YORK
1860 GREAT EASTERN
1838 GREAT WESTERN

I would like feedback on 1) What other notable ocean liners should be on the list and 2) Which of these may not deserve to be on the list.

Remember, we are talking Ocean Liners - not cruise ships.

Thanks in advance,

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 07-02-2002 06:02 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we're talking about trend-setting ships, Teutonic (1891), Carmania (1905), and Champlain (1932) would make nice additions to the list. Aquitania (dispite being my favorite pre-WWI ship) is debateable, since her claim to fame is her interiors, but the France of 1912 could easily be considered her equal in that regard, so either France or Aquitania- I can't decide which. If she hadn't been lost in such a tragic way, Titanic's only claim to fame would be her impressive (for the time) size; but size alone does not a great ship make. If the reason for the Titanic's placement on the list is her size coupled with some new, trend-setting ammenities, than Olympic should take her place, since she was the first of the class. Vaterland probably belongs, since the first of her class (Imperator) was so troublesome that most HAPAG fans would probably like to forget her. This is just my opinion, and is in no way definitive. This is a very interesting project, and I look forward to seeing it develop.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Britanis ]

Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 07-02-2002 10:06 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree...Olympic should be on the list rather than Titanic. Olympic also went through the process of being transformed from coal to fuel oil. Leviathan should be on list rather than Vaterland, because of the unbelieveable work that went into her transformation. Southern Cross (1955) should be on this list...rather than Canberra... I have always thought that the Canberra was an average ship with an uninteresting history. She was poorly constructed. (cement had to be poured into her to offset her uncalculated excessive boyancy) She may have been charming but I was unimpressed when I saw her. Southern Cross was the first to be designed and built with aft engines and funnel.
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 07-02-2002 10:09 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops, forgot Southern Cross, good point Barryboat.
Posts: 944 | From: Philadelphia, USA- former home of International Merchantile and Marine Co. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 07-02-2002 10:53 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The one that has to be in there is I.K.Brunel's "GREAT BRITAIN". She was so far ahead of her time it has never been equalled since. The largest ship and one with the first propeller (other than small tugs). She had WT bulkheads and double bottoms. She could maintain 11 Kts. and cross the Atlantic without sail.
But one of the great things is that you can still walk around that ship which is preserved in the same drydock that was built for her construction. That dock too is unique in that it has no pumps, it is filled and emptied by gravity.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
ROTTERBRANDT
unregistered

posted 07-02-2002 10:57 PM           Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barryboat:
...rather than Canberra... I have always thought that the Canberra was an average ship with an uninteresting history.

Canberra is a very radical ship, in appearance, engineering, life boat location, and cabin layout. Her interior design is conservative. Except for lack of private facilities, and not enough elevators, she worked well as a cruise ship. It was no one thing, but how all the innovations worked together.

The Rotterdam V to be included,
not for engineering. Her powerplant and hull design were typical of the time. It is her interior design and layout of the spaces, and daring exterior design. She works extremely well all around.

The Bremen/Europa of 1930 should be included too.
She was a precurser to the Normandie.
--------
The Georgic and Britannic of 1930ish, they were the largest ships of the time to have diesel propulsion.

-----------
The Rex and Conte Di Savoia were nice ships, but not innovative. As is the Empress of Britain, and Nieuw Amsterdam II of 1938.

IP: Logged
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 07-03-2002 12:05 AM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What about the Caronia of the '40s?

She may not have been built with the sole intent of liner voyages, but she certainly must be considered innovative as far as passenger shipping is concerned

Smooth Seas.
Michael534

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 07-03-2002 01:33 AM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is getting way too hard! How about increasing the length of the list to 20 or so? Of course, that would be taking the path of least resistance.
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 07-03-2002 09:48 AM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barryboat:
I agree...Olympic should be on the list rather than Titanic. Olympic also went through the process of being transformed from coal to fuel oil. Leviathan should be on list rather than Vaterland, because of the unbelieveable work that went into her transformation. Southern Cross (1955) should be on this list...rather than Canberra... I have always thought that the Canberra was an average ship with an uninteresting history. She was poorly constructed. (cement had to be poured into her to offset her uncalculated excessive boyancy) She may have been charming but I was unimpressed when I saw her. Southern Cross was the first to be designed and built with aft engines and funnel.

I believe it was Matson Line's MAUI and WILHELMINA that were the first passenger-carrying ships with engines aft. I got this info from Newell's ...OCEAN LINERS OF THE 20th CENTURY. They also carried cargo, so maybe that's why they aren't mentioned a lot. I think Goldberg has also mentioned this in his review of the SOUTHERN CROSS nee OCEANBREEZE nee IMPERIAL MAJESTY.

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-03-2002 10:38 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like to think of ships for their contribution to the advancement of the art, science and design of ships.
One can bleed at the cutting edge. There are many good ships, that are not radical, but evolutionary and extra refinement of the state of art for time.
I give credit for those that took the risks.
That sail into uncharted waters.

Mauri/Lusitania-all turbine drive, hull design advances, first to be tank tested during design phase.

Vaterland/Leviathan- ugly ship, but the first with split uptake, bi level lifeboats to be copied for Rotterdam V. It was a result of the visionary Albert Ballin

Georgic/BritannicII- first use of Diesel engine in a 'large' ship.

Empress of Britain & Ile de France-
No new ground in technology, but revolutionary new interior design. This is what the passengers see and experience.

Bremen/Europa-one of the first to use the bulbous bow. Clean superstructure, and new Art Deco interiors.

Normandie- Bremen/Europa and Ile De France blazed trails for Normandie. N took the best from the 3 of them. She embodied the best of design, and engineering.

Refreshing to do away with the bomabstic robber baron castle interiors of the Edwardian/Kaiser era.

SS United States- Speed, safety, aesthetics, maintained beautiful interiors w/o excess decoration and w/o use of woods.

Independance/Constitution-
Beautiful exterior and interior by Henry Dreyfuss. Integration of counter stern in modern liner.

Rotterdam V:-) - Magnificent interior design; floating art museum, equalization of classes, bold exterior.

Canberra:-) - Revolutionary exterior design,and advanced propulsion system. Nice interior design, although broke little new ground.

Honorable mention: Good ships that were refinements of the previous best, but broke no new ground. Sheer size and speed is not a factor.

Aquitania
Brittanic {corrected mistakes of her sisters]
Columbus
Rex
Conte Di Savoia
Queen Mary
Queen Elizabeth
Niew Amsterdam
SS America
Gulio Cesare-Andrea Doria-Christoforo Columbo
SS France
Gallileo/Marconi
Rafaello/Michelangelo
QE2
Pacific/Island Princess
Royal Viking Star/Sea/Sky

Ships beyond 1973 have to stand the test of time

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 07-03-2002 11:31 AM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

Hmmm... Tough call...

Desirod, Island/Sea Venture and the Royal Vikings don't belong - they were exclusive cruise ships.

I agree that Caronia of 1948 should be included. Contrary to popular belief, she was designed as a dual-purpose ship for both cruises and crossings.

Several Holland America ships of the 1950s are quite worthy. Rotterdam V should replace Canberra IMHO - her contributions to design were far more important than Canberra.

Maasdam or Ryndam (I forget which was first) should be on the list as the first ships to be designed with tourist class taking up most of the ship.

Great Britain should indeed be on the list for the reasons gohaze stated.

France of 1962 should perhaps be replaced by either Michelagnelo or Rafaello - whichever was second as that ship would be the last one ever designed with liner service, and only liner service, in mind. France might be left on too if there is room because she is the last of the ships of state to have survived.

Queen Mary broke no new ground yet she was the most successful of her era. She deserves a place along with Normandie AND either Bremen or Europa.

Personally I think a list of maybe twenty ships would be better than fifteen - there are just too many that cannot be left out.

The only ship on the list that I think should be removed was Canberra. It is only her popularity as a cruise ship that saved her from complete obscurity.

Happy Cruising,
Cruiseny

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-03-2002 12:43 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseny:
Hello,

Several Holland America ships of the 1950s are quite worthy. Rotterdam V should replace Canberra IMHO - her contributions to design were far more important than Canberra.

The only ship on the list that I think should be removed was Canberra. It is only her popularity as a cruise ship that saved her from complete obscurity.

Happy Cruising,
Cruiseny

Disagree big time
I have sailed the Canberra, know her well, and the Rotterdam V.

Canberra was an extraordinary liner/cruiseship.
She was not conventional at all. Many of her radical features I previously mentioned are commonplace on the typical newbuild. The features were copied, but none of the grace.

As Rotterbrandt said: It is how the ship and features came together as a whole.

The website www.sscanberra.com illustrates in great detail her engineering and design philosophy, process, and execution. You still have to be on her to totally understand. They did goof on the hull calculations.

She was no cookie cutter liner, like the Union Castle ships, Olympia, Empress of BritainII/England, Flandre, Monarch of Bermuda or the Lurline sisters.

They scrapped the wrong ship. It should have been the 1960 Oriana.

Canberra and Rembrandt are equals for different reasons.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 07-03-2002 12:55 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod6:
You still have to be on her to totally understand. They did goof on the hull calculations.

I cannot deny that I would probably have much more affection for her had I actually sailed the ship.

quote:
Originally posted by desirod6:
They scrapped the wrong ship. It should have been the 1960 Oriana.

True. That was an exceptionally ugly vessel.

Happy Cruising,
Cruiseny

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 07-03-2002 06:18 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually the first passenger veesels to have the unique bulbous bow design were the 1927 American built sister ships: Shawnee and Iroquois, designed by U.S. naval architect Theodore Ferris. Europa & Bremen came out in 1929.

I debate in my own head if the Oceanic should be considered...she was the most state-of-the-art in design when she first came out...people thought of her as the passenger ship of the future. She was still considered a liner and built like one, but with many trend-setting features that launched the cruise era...but we're not talking cruise ships here.

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 07-03-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it's hard to talk about the evolution of the ocean liner without mention of it's eventual metamorphosis into the modern day cruise ship.

Some of the "catalyst" ships making the transition from ocean liner to cruise ship might include the ROTTERDAM V, which could be configured for cruising or crossings. Also, the OCEANIC of Home Lines is considered by many to be the first purpose built cruise ship. Of course the initial plan was to have her sail crossings as well.

I'm sure others could add to the list of transitional ships (ocean liner and cruise ship all in one), but the two I mentioned come to mind rather quickly.

Ernie Roller
Atlanta

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 07-03-2002 09:24 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Queen Elizabeth 2, Sagafjord, Vistafjord, and Bergensfjord were all dual purpose liners/cruise ships as well. Are there any others?
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 07-03-2002 09:39 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes there were quite a few. It was common for the Western Ocean Liners to do Caribbean cruises in the wnter, particularly from New York. The CPR Empresses, Cunard's Canadian ships, and others too.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 07-05-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can I add in Orsova, 1954, 1st liner with an all-welded hull and first without a mast.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 07-05-2002 09:34 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Can I add in Orsova, 1954, 1st liner with an all-welded hull and first without a mast

Another beautiful and historically significant ship that went to the breakers prematurely and is largely forgotten- sad.

Cruiseny brought up the fact that Hamburg/Maksim Gorky/Maxim Gorki is about the same age as the QE2, does anyone know the actual date her maiden voyage commenced?

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Britanis ]

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 07-06-2002 06:29 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you going to tell us what your final list is Joe?
Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 07-06-2002 08:23 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Britanis:
Cruiseny brought up the fact that Hamburg/Maksim Gorky/Maxim Gorki is about the same age as the QE2, does anyone know the actual date her maiden voyage commenced?

Hi Britanis

The Hamburg (which is the same age as QE2 also from 1969) was meant as a passenger liner but as far as I know she never actually served as a liner. She immediately started cruising. I have a German advertisement from 1969 where the state of the art Hamburg is introduced and her fist European cruises. Here is the list:

Black Sea cruise – 12 October to 26 October 1969
Mediterranean cruise – 27 October to 10 November 1969
Western Africa cruise – 11 November to 4 December 1969

So I guess her maiden voyage started 12 October 1969, I placed the ad in the photo gallery I don’t know if you can read German but it’s actually a nice article telling a lot about cruising in the sixties.

Best, Onno
Haburg article in the folder pasenger ships

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Onno ]

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 07-06-2002 08:36 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is my list of ocean liners, my starting point was to make a list of easily recognizable ships for a broad audience and the ships that left the biggest impression in history.
And actually it is hard to make a sort of top ten because every ship contributed something in the evolution of the liners. But trust me Joe has something nice planed with the list so keep the ships coming.

GREAT EASTERN
Brunel’s a head of his time vision and the tragic life she led as a floating billboard and cable laying ship. And a ship with sails paddle wheels and funnels what more would you want.

TITANIC
Or at least the Olympic class of ships again a turning point in design here the more cleaner and smarter look was introduced that the Mauretania did not have. And of course the largest liner in the world thing.

NORMANDIE
also ahead for its time and again this ship introduced a new stile in ship appearances finally the traditional Harland and Wolff style of ships was broken.

QUEEN MARY
One of the most loved liners and this ship is I think the archetype of the liners, if you ask someone to draw or describe a ship the outcome will probably be something that looks like Queen Mary.

CANBERRA
A distinct profile whit the funnel and bridge so far at he back of the ship also a new visual style.

UNITED STATES
She has a typical American style created by those huge funnels and she is the last liner to get the blue ribbon.

QE2
Also quit revolutionary in design and the last liner to survive the airplane and by doing this became a legend.

QUEEN MARY 2
Needs no explanation.

All the Best, Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Britanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 2912

posted 07-06-2002 10:34 PM      Profile for Britanis   Email Britanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno, thanks for the information about the Hamburg. So, she IS a few months younger than QE2. So, technically, there were three liners built after Queen Elizabeth 2- Hamburg, Vistafjord, and Astor. It does look like a nice brochure, unfortunately I don't know anywhere near enough German to read it!

I like your "Top Ten" list, every ship on it deserves to be there, no question about it. It's just so hard to make one of those lists whitout leaving some ships out.

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Britanis ]

Tim Agg
First Class Passenger
Member # 3185

posted 07-07-2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Tim Agg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There can be no accounting for taste, I suppose. For years, as a teenager in the '60's, I watched Oriana and Canberra as they visited Vancouver. I eventually decided that Oriana was the more beautiful and elegant of the two - despite first appearances.
Posts: 365 | From: Vancouver BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.