- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » 2 New Disney Ships (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: 2 New Disney Ships
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 02-22-2007 02:22 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BURBANK, Calif., (February 22, 2007) -- The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) plans to expand its successful cruise business by adding two new ocean liners, President and CEO Bob Iger announced today. Scheduled to launch in 2011 and 2012, the ships will more than double the passenger capacity for Disney Cruise Line to meet the sustained demand for Disney's family cruise vacations.

The company signed a letter of intent with Meyer Werft shipyard, based in Papenburg, Germany, to negotiate a contract to build the 122,000-ton new cruise liners, which will be two decks taller than the existing 83,000-ton ships, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder. Each ship will have 1,250 staterooms. Specific design plans and itineraries for the yet-unnamed ships are still in development and will be unveiled at a later date.

"Since our maiden voyage in 1998, Disney Cruise Line has been a huge success for our guests and for our shareholders alike," Iger said. "It has brought our unparalleled family vacation experience to the high seas, and has also generated high margins and double digit returns on invested capital. We're excited to announce the expansion of our fleet, which is a logical next step in what is a real growth business for us."

Disney Cruise Line established the family market within the cruise industry when the business launched in 1998. The first two ships were purpose built for families to reconnect and recharge while creating vacation memories that will last a lifetime. From a theater featuring live musical spectaculars to a luxurious spa for adults and nearly an entire deck dedicated to children's activities, the ships offer something for every member of the family. Disney Cruise Line continues to grow by attracting passengers who say they would not have cruised if it hadn't been for the Disney brand.

"Focusing on families has been smart business for us," said Jay Rasulo, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "More than 95 percent of Disney Cruise Line guests rate their cruise experience as excellent or very good. Families know they can trust us to provide a quality, immersive Disney experience. As a result, Disney Cruise Line continually sets sail with the highest load factors in the industry of nearly 150 percent."

Similar to the original Disney Cruise Line ships, the new ships will be a modern interpretation of classic ocean liners of the 1930s. Disney Imagineers drew their inspiration from the original trans-Atlantic ships that featured a dramatic black hull with two funnels and porthole windows. The profile of the ships, with its gentle curves at the stern combined with sleek angles at the bow, are reminiscent of the art deco designs of the era. To add whimsy to the classic design, the Disney ships have the same exterior color palette as Mickey Mouse with black, white, red and yellow. The new ships will feature elegant, detailed Disney scrollwork at the bow and will evoke images of the glamour of the golden age of cruising.

Tom McAlpin, the President of Disney Cruise Line, said, "This is an exciting time for Disney Cruise Line, and we are looking forward to working with Meyer Werft to blend our innovation and creativity with their fine craftsmanship. Meyer Werft has a long tradition of building magnificent ships. We are confident that the result will be ships that take the immersive Disney family-focused cruise experience to an entirely new level."

New itineraries

Disney Cruise Line, which traditionally offers 3-, 4- and 7-night Caribbean cruises, has also enjoyed strong demand for new itineraries. Trips to the Mediterranean and to the West Coast have recently set booking records within the company and booked 30-50 percent faster than the existing itineraries at higher prices.

"With a larger fleet, we'll have greater flexibility to offer a variety of itineraries," Rasulo said. "This is a business that our guests love, and we're pleased to give them more options to explore the world with Disney with two new ships."

To learn more about Disney Cruise Line or to book a vacation, guests can contact their travel agent, visit disneycruise.com or call Disney Cruise Line at (888) DCL-2500. Travel agents can call Disney Cruise Line at (888) 325-2500 or visit disneytravelagents.com.

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 02-22-2007 02:29 PM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good news ! It's always a very good thing to see brand new designs, especially when you know that Disney is very attentive to their ships appearance.
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-22-2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am glad they are expanding. I wonder what the new ships will look like.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-22-2007 02:47 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am going to ask my neighbor who is an executive at Disney about these new ships. Hopefully I can get him to snoop around.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
cljw
First Class Passenger
Member # 4198

posted 02-22-2007 02:57 PM      Profile for cljw     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope they keep the look & feel of the first two. I think the Disney ships are really attractive.

Craig

Posts: 96 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 02-22-2007 06:54 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two little images on the Disney Site.

I am not sure that I think they look quite as nice as the current sisters, but probably better than most post panamax ships I have seen the designs of.

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-22-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who would have guessed two 122,000 ton ships?

There certainly will be some very big tonnage around by the end of the decade and early next decade. 90K gt will look medium sized.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-22-2007 06:57 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You think their rates are high now? ...
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-22-2007 07:15 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. Two large retro ships built by Meyer - maybe an alternative to QM2?
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-22-2007 09:06 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
Very interesting. Two large retro ships built by Meyer - maybe an alternative to QM2?

They should make an interesting comparison to QM2. It looks like they will also have the attractive stern design as well as a long(ish) foredeck that nearly all newbuilds lack. The funnels appear to be spaced a bit far apart but that will allow for a large midship lido. Glad that they are keeping the 'Disney look' though on a much larger scale.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-22-2007 09:31 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Finally! This announcement has been a long time coming. I expected it about a year ago but better late then never. I have no doubt these new ships will be of a VERY high standard with several innovations. All this and pleasant exterior aesthetics as well! Disney proves it can be done if your willing to spend a little extra money. Clones these are not!

I do wish Disney would raise the height of the funnels. That is my only complaint. Otherwise these are stunning ships, better looking and proportioned than QM2 and just about every other newbuild IMO.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-22-2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They are very nice looking ships IMO.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 02-22-2007 11:49 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bigger image:

[ 02-23-2007: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 02-23-2007 12:49 AM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The tops of those two ships, hanging out over the bridge like that, reminds me of CROWN PRINCESS, which I don't find attractive. I find the original two ships much more attractive.

[ 02-23-2007: Message edited by: CGT ]

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
HKcruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 6094

posted 02-23-2007 03:17 AM      Profile for HKcruises     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope that they will base one of their current ships in Asia!!!

Both HK and Toyko have a Disneyland

Posts: 79 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
pungpui
First Class Passenger
Member # 1218

posted 02-23-2007 03:24 AM      Profile for pungpui     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thad:
Two little images on the Disney Site.

Does the top picture remind anyone else of a stretched version of Legend of the Seas front, with a Voyager OTS rear with 2 funnels stuck on top?

Posts: 419 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 02-23-2007 05:01 AM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To me it seems like Meyer Werft architects have had a say in the design of the new Disney ships... the curved glass windows above the bridge - AidaDiva-much?
Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-23-2007 05:49 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shipsnorway:
To me it seems like Meyer Werft architects have had a say in the design of the new Disney ships... the curved glass windows above the bridge - AidaDiva-much?

I would say it's the other way around - the exterior of AIDAdiva looks like one of the (present) Disney ships.

Whereas the yard is involved in the design porcess it is not necessarily a 'Meyer' features.

Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 02-23-2007 06:12 AM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:

I would say it's the other way around - the exterior of AIDAdiva looks like one of the (present) Disney ships.

Whereas the yard is involved in the design porcess it is not necessarily a 'Meyer' features.

Which design features on the Disney Magic/Wonder do you see on the AidaDiva?

Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 02-23-2007 06:16 AM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just above the bridge and forward of the mast , it appears to look like a arched glass dome? , could this be some sort of grand stair case or something to help mimic the Atlantic style of yesteryear?.
Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 02-23-2007 06:26 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Ernst, there are aesthetic similarities between the Diva class and the original Disney ships.

Anyway, I wonder who designed those vessels. I don't think Disney has a full team of naval designers like Carnival Corp or RCI (or they wouldn't have a lot to do). It may be the yard which designed those ships according to Disney specified needs, or it may be an independant firm specialized in this kind of jobs.

That said, from what I've seen, they don't look bad at all.

[ 02-23-2007: Message edited by: Pascal ]

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lucas L
First Class Passenger
Member # 6091

posted 02-23-2007 06:28 AM      Profile for Lucas L   Author's Homepage   Email Lucas L   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello

These ships are very similar to the Disney Wonder and Disney Magic, however as the design of these latters is nice, it does not matter. As the new ones will be longer, they could look great. In addition they could provide new itinararies. Hope northern europe and mediterranean sea.

Cheers
Lucas

Posts: 209 | From: Lyon,France | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-23-2007 07:09 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerdan:
Just above the bridge and forward of the mast , it appears to look like a arched glass dome? , could this be some sort of grand stair case or something to help mimic the Atlantic style of yesteryear?.

My guess is that this will be over an extensive spa area, same location as on the first two ships. Or it could also cover a lido restaurant area, located forward on many ships.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-23-2007 09:10 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shipsnorway:

Which design features on the Disney Magic/Wonder do you see on the AidaDiva?

The observation lounge above the bridge - different on the interior - the SAME on the exterior.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-23-2007 09:17 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pascal:

Anyway, I wonder who designed those vessels. I don't think Disney has a full team of naval designers like Carnival Corp or RCI (or they wouldn't have a lot to do). It may be the yard which designed those ships according to Disney specified needs, or it may be an independant firm specialized in this kind of jobs.

[ 02-23-2007: Message edited by: Pascal ]

There are usually many different people (designer etc.) working on the design of a ship. e.g. Tillberg was involved in the Disney ships see here - Partner Ship Design was involved in the Aida design - see here. (bad example as they at least do not state to be responsible for the exterior - nevertheless)

From the outside it is difficult to tell who did what - and also what has been done by the design departement of the yard, cruise line etc.
So it's impossible to associate design features like the bridge arrangement of the Disney/new Aida ships with a yard.

[ 02-23-2007: Message edited by: Ernst ]

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.