- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Disney Cruise Lines question... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Disney Cruise Lines question...
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 01-03-2007 04:20 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
Also (thought its kind of off the topic) what kind of perpulsion do their ships have (shaft or pod)?

They have twin shafts driving 6-bladed props, along with a dual-rudder system.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-03-2007 06:55 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:

They have twin shafts driving 6-bladed props, along with a dual-rudder system.

Rich

And the best looking sterns since the Sovereign Class.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 01-03-2007 07:34 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since they have a EuroDisney and a Tokyo Disneyland, would it make sense for them to have two extra ships for the Asian and European markets? No? I don't know, I am just asking....
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 01-05-2007 01:51 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought disney didn't own the park in Tokyo or is it Hong Kong I am thinking of.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
HKcruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 6094

posted 01-05-2007 10:07 AM      Profile for HKcruises     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Disney has parks in both HK and Tokyo
Posts: 79 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 01-05-2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HKcruises:
Disney has parks in both HK and Tokyo

But I thought that one of them was not owned by Disney but had permission to use Disney characters and stuff.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-05-2007 07:40 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like w/the formerly owned Disney stores, they may have a licencing agreement w/an outside firm to operate a theme park. Disney Stores formerly based in Glendale, CA sold off all company owned stores a few years ago. Disney still owns and operates the larger resorts.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 01-21-2007 12:01 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently Disney is going to move the Disney Magic to back to California in 2008. Heres the link to the article on Cruise Critic.
http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1918
Did anyone here take one of the west coast Disney cruises back in 2005?

BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 01-29-2007 12:44 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see myself doing a Disney Cruise anytime soon. I just looked at their site last night for comparison purposes, and a three-night run to the Bahamas out of Port Canaveral works out to $1500-$1700 total for two depending on the stateroom (and we're not talking about suites here; not even balcony staterooms). Why do that when I can spend roughly $1200 total for 3 nights on the Westerdam, and get a balcony stateroom out of it? Disney's just too expensive, and from some of the other posts I've read concerning their service and food, it's clearly not worth it. I can spend less money in their theme parks for a whole week (alright, so maybe my proximity gives me an unfair advantage ).

[ 01-29-2007: Message edited by: BigUFan ]

Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 01-29-2007 10:47 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As a travel agent, I booked my first Disney Cruise for some clients, now I am sure their onbaord service is great, but I find them a mess at their reservation center (ie: they sent my client info on their flights without the T/A knowing) and they are very elitest about their product. These clients are paying luxury cruise prices for characters around the ship? I guess I just don't get it.
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 01-29-2007 10:54 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes Disney is overpriced, but a fine product. I'd cruise on them any time.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 01-29-2007 11:19 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with le Barryboat. I know I said it before but I will say it again I like Disney Cruise Line. Their are costly but I found them nicer then the Sovereign and Fantasy. As with anything their are people who love something and people who hate it. I last cruised on Disney in May 06 and cruise Royal Carib (EOS) in July '06 and the Noordam of HAL in Jan '07. So i feel I can do soem comparing since the cruises were close together. To me Disney had almost the calibur of HAL (HAL was even still a notch above with service.) Royal's food was average but the ship was stunning. Disney hands down had the most elegant ship IMO followed by the Noordam. I also felt their food was just as good as HAL's plus with Disney soda is included as well as top notch entertainment albeit its mainly Disney themed BUT the calibur is different then HAL and Royal Disney has a broadway feel and professionalism to it. To me the Noordam was dull at night. 8:00pm/9:00pm I was one of the 40 people out! But then again I loved my HAL cruise but while I was on there I met a couple who hated everything about it. I can't see why to them Princess was the best. To each their own ---- is that how that saying goes?

I am TA too and agree on their reservation center. I alway seem to get what sounds like a craby old lady (I know thats mean). And yes they love bypassing the agent and send clients documents and the like!

Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
nycruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 960

posted 01-29-2007 11:24 PM      Profile for nycruiser   Email nycruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also meant to say that anything Disney has they overprice. Take their falgship resort in DisneyWorld Orlando, Florida. It's called the Grand Floridian. I stayed their and thought it was a lovely 4 star resort however their most enexpenisive room was $400 per night plus tax! To me thats a bit much but they get away with it. They have the name.
Posts: 665 | From: Westchester County, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 01-30-2007 06:31 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nycruiser:
I have sailed Disney twice. Once with my family and once with adult friends (25-30 yrs old) and I had more fun just as adults. Compared to other lines I saw less kids! People think I am nuts when I say this but it was true on my sailing. I have been on over 20 cruises and by far the Disney Cruise is up there with my Celebrity Cruises. But we all have different taste and expectations. One of my worst cruises (still wasnt that bad) was a Costa Cruise in Europe (the itinerary was spectacular) but I felt Costa has lots of work to do in regards to food and service but thats my opinion. Would I sail them again: sure!

Getting back to Disney I am a travel agent as well and I always get very good feedback with DCL.

I heard their ocean liner profiles have added 20% to the building costs

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-30-2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nycruiser:
..however their most enexpenisive room was $400 per night plus tax! To me thats a bit much but they get away with it.

Only becuse people pay it. As I said before they are one of the worlds most respected brands, love em or hate em.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 01-30-2007 10:20 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

Only becuse people pay it. As I said before they are one of the worlds most respected brands, love em or hate em.

The die-hard Disney fans are also the ones who pay top premium rates to stay at the beautiful on-site properties at DisneyWorld, and other parks. These are the people who don't flinch at Disney's cruise fares.

Those folks who would stay off-site at the EconoLodge for $59/night (and there's nothing wrong with that) are not typically the passengers that readily pay Disney's cruise fares!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 01-30-2007 11:30 AM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Malcolm wrote:
Only becuse people pay it.

Funny, I was just going to say blame the fools willing to pay it.

I think DCL is one of those things where you really need to be a fan of the other products, meaning a Disney cruise is best suited to Disney fans who want a cruise. If you're not that much of a Disney fan, it probably doesn't pay to go.

Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.