- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » ROYAL PRINCESS (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: ROYAL PRINCESS
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-07-2013 04:48 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SSTRAVELER:
It's the photoshop Princess.

Indeed, many photos in the press and that one with the blue skies have been really worked on. Just watch Steve Carratt's Youtube clip of her berthing and read his comments about the weather. You even hear the thunder in the first bit. The sun seems to have appeared once she was docked, but not before and it was still raining for some time afterwards.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
GregD
First Class Passenger
Member # 4176

posted 06-07-2013 05:26 PM      Profile for GregD   Author's Homepage   Email GregD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you think Sea Walk is Skywalkers 2.0?
Posts: 548 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 06-07-2013 06:53 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Her interiors look like, well, every other Princess ship...biege, beige, beige....I would think Princess would have wanted to update some of the look. I can't wait for the photos of the tacky murals of tucans and med ports that I am sure will pop up somewhere.
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-07-2013 09:44 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are now 60 pictures of her public spaces here which you can view in a slideshow:

CLICK HERE

I'm still booked on a B2B for December 1-15th of this year as well as on her sister ship the Regal Princess for January 2015.

[ 06-07-2013: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 06-07-2013 10:19 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate to say it, but by the pictures, I am not impressed. She strikes me as a dramatic throwback, but not in a good way. Astonishingly monochromatic and bland, while at the same time glitzy and assaulting.

It instantly reminded me of the Crown Odyssey of 1989, minus the color and charm.

A sea of eggshell white cast against glitz combined with depressing dark colors and too many, and too many different reflective surfaces.

And what;s the fascination with all the ochre or bile- yellow fabrics and that insipid, seizure infusing amber lighting? Cunard and HAL seem obsessed with it as of late.

I find the bland yet un-assaulting pastels and beige of the earlier ships far warmer and more attractive.

Frankly, the Norwegian Breakaway strikes me as a much, much more attractive and charismatic ship.

I do think it's time for the interior design team responsible for her to "hang it up".

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-07-2013 10:35 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in Fort Lauderdale:

I do think it's time for the interior design team responsible for her to "hang it up".

Tim

It looks like a Crowne Plaza.

It is the same team that helped turn the Queen Victoria and QE3 into nautical Bucket women, and now mucking up QM2.

Teresa Anderson and Giamcomo Mortola is the Princess inhouse interior design team.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 06-07-2013 10:53 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

It looks like a Crowne Plaza.

It is the same team that helped turn the Queen Victoria and QE3 into nautical Bucket women, and now mucking up QM2.

Teresa Anderson and Giamcomo Mortola is the Princess inhouse interior design team.

Frankly, I found QE and QV perfectly pleasant, sans the awful amber lighting on the QE. I don't mind all the browns and soft blues of these two as that is what Cunard always was. Look at the two original Queens, all very brown and blue with some green, gold and red thrown in for good measure.

Even QE2 in her latter days was very "not daring" but that's not necessarily bad and the changes to the QM2 are not horrific in my opinion - the change to the pub is for the better as I saw it as is the Champagne Bar.

FWIW, I have found that most Crowne Plazas at least have some warmth and are pleasant, if not charismatic. This however, well...

Tim

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-08-2013 01:45 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael13:
I quite like how she turned out, looks very beautiful!

It will of course come as no surprise to some, but I think the ship is stunning. Having never been on the two Cunard sisters I can't really compare. And although other ships like the Norwegian Breakaway have quite a bit of appeal, what Royal Princess offers is right up my alley. Of course every ship is not for everyone and there will be those who just don't like Royal Princess. But I imagine the two weeks I will be spending on her will simply be amazing. I'll come back then with a review and pictures.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-08-2013 05:15 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

. Look at the two original Queens, all very brown and blue with some green, gold and red thrown in for good measure.

Tim

The original Queens have real wood and brass. I stayed on Mary 1 in Long Beach 3 times. Her wood and brass are real. When you walk down the A deck corridor, every wood panel is different, the artwork, engravings, details are a lost art today.

Queen Victoria to me is a visual peanut butter and mayonaise sandwich of mock Edwardian and mock deco. As Bruce Peter would say Kitsch. QE3 fares somewhat better.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 06-08-2013 07:16 AM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Comparing to what Princess Cruises have designed in the past years..the shopping carts and jet engines ships...this is a welcome relief. She looks nice, tho i would prefer a better looking bow to match the slickness of her super structure but hey can't get it all aye..The more pics of her i watch there is something about the ship that screams i belong in the P&O brand, don't know if anyone got that feeling.
Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Salaison
First Class Passenger
Member # 4722

posted 06-08-2013 09:06 AM      Profile for Salaison   Email Salaison   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
video of arrival

Youtube

Posts: 444 | From: St. Lucia--The Sleeping Leviathan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
avalon1025
First Class Passenger
Member # 5383

posted 06-09-2013 08:13 PM      Profile for avalon1025   Email avalon1025   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see Sabatinis has Princess' traditionally tacky paint by numbers murals! For a minute I thought Princess would have evolved its decor past 1998
Posts: 331 | From: West Hollywood | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
FuzzyFish
First Class Passenger
Member # 33185

posted 06-10-2013 12:00 PM      Profile for FuzzyFish   Email FuzzyFish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First off, thanks Pam for the pics!!

I haven't moved onto pics of her interior yet but having never sailed on a Princess ship the beige looks pleasant (if not very exciting) enough.

I do have a couple of issues with how she turned out however:

1) I hate the slopping droopy bow... It looks terrible.

2) From the sides, the back half look disproportional to the first half of the ship. Almost like the front half should be 1/4 bigger to match the back.

I'm very happy that this isn't the next duck bill and shopping cart Princess ship, but I very much prefer Breakaway and Quantum here in terms of aesthetics (I have no problems with "box ships").

[ 06-10-2013: Message edited by: FuzzyFish ]

[ 06-10-2013: Message edited by: FuzzyFish ]

Posts: 144 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-10-2013 11:03 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She is no beauty and similar to many other ships today. It looks like the boot-topping was painted in the traditional Princess aqua-green color which is odd. That color (used since the early 1970s) has apparently been phased-out and replaced w/blue on other Princess ships over the last few years.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-11-2013 04:00 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In Guernsey yesterday her tenders were transmitting on AIS - see here. ROYAL PRINCESS T1, .. T2.. etc Don't think I have seen that before.

Pam

Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 06-11-2013 07:17 PM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can someone please explain the benifit of this bow design? It just doesn't make sense to me. It looks like it's dropping off or sagging. It can't be just to give a forward view from the pool!
I thought bows were designed to deflect to water in heavy seas. Won't this type of bow just scoop it up?
It certainly can't be to compliment the rest of the ship. I couldn't find one picture where the bow looks right.
Whatever the reason for this design, I am not a fan.

Michael

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-11-2013 08:09 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Astonishingly monochromatic and bland, while at the same time glitzy and assaulting.

You would not think that it was possible to achieve bland and glitz, all at the same time, but Princess have managed it.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 06-11-2013 09:27 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

You would not think that it was possible to achieve bland and glitz, all at the same time, but Princess have managed it.

Like the ecosystem, it's a delicate balance Malcolm, a delicate balance....

Tim

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 06-12-2013 11:01 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hate to say it, but by the pictures, I am not impressed. She strikes me as a dramatic throwback, but not in a good way. Astonishingly monochromatic and bland, while at the same time glitzy and assaulting.

Most Princess ships are that though. The deck plans/GA are more or less struck in the 1980s and the decor is the same.

I might be going out on a plank here but there last interesting ship was the Sun Princess or thereabouts and even that retreaded ideas from the Sitmar new builds.

Princess really seems to have perfected bland and retread with one or two new gimmicks stuck on to make the ship "exciting." There's nothing wrong but nothing that is exciting and different to make the ships standout in design and decor. Even Carnival which was doing retreads got a little more imaginative with there latest platform and then had the good sense to bring in PartnerShip to do the design to change things up. Really among the big guys only Celebrity has had the wherewithal to go out and do something imaginative with its newer ships. But even they get gimmicky with things like the silly glass showers.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 06-12-2013 02:48 PM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Michael534:
Can someone please explain the benifit of this bow design? It just doesn't make sense to me. It looks like it's dropping off or sagging. It can't be just to give a forward view from the pool!
I thought bows were designed to deflect to water in heavy seas. Won't this type of bow just scoop it up?
It certainly can't be to compliment the rest of the ship. I couldn't find one picture where the bow looks right.
Whatever the reason for this design, I am not a fan.

Michael

The bow doesn't actually droop but the bulwarks sweep up as they move aft providing greater coverage from the sides. I agree it isn't very visually appealing though.

Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-12-2013 03:33 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are some ferries, eg CRUISE BARCELONA and sisters, also built at Fincantieri, which take this design a bit further.

Pam

timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 06-12-2013 04:31 PM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very interesting Pam though proportionally I find that ferry much more handsome
Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
FuzzyFish
First Class Passenger
Member # 33185

posted 06-12-2013 10:44 PM      Profile for FuzzyFish   Email FuzzyFish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Royal Princess certainly isn't the only cruise ship with the droopy looking bow, but it certainly is one of the more unattractive ones.

MSC Poesia:

MSC Divina:

Carnival Breeze:

With the MSC ships, at least they have a perfectly horizontal character line so the bow doesn't look like it hit something and was bent down, the Breeze doesn't have the character line but her bow is stubby enough that it's not as obvious.

barconauta
First Class Passenger
Member # 15635

posted 06-19-2013 02:23 PM      Profile for barconauta   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Royal Princess - LISBOA

Some photos from her maiden call today in Lisboa.

Regards to all!

Posts: 80 | From: Portugal | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
FuzzyFish
First Class Passenger
Member # 33185

posted 06-20-2013 12:11 AM      Profile for FuzzyFish   Email FuzzyFish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BTW, I just noticed something.

Theodore!!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.