- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » RCCL Practices

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RCCL Practices
jmfleser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1141

posted 08-29-2005 01:04 PM      Profile for jmfleser   Email jmfleser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone:

We're looking into taking a cruise on Voyager and in the process found a review that is seriously making us consider another cruise line. We've only been on RCCL once before and that was almost 15 years ago. So is this review fairly accurate of this lines tratment of passengers with problems as well as their company's policy's. I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions.:confused

Thanks,
Joan

THE REVIEW-
As a veteran of many cruises(including RCL) I was appalled at the
feeling of greed permeating this ship. I expect extra charges on any ship but RCL to this
to new extremes. Examples include: The "All you can drink" Soda card for kids that they wouldn't honor
on Labadee(their name for Haiti) even though RCL provided all the food and drinks. A room refrigerator
designed so if you even moved an item electronic sensors would charge you for it regardless of whether you
consumed the item. We were told "You move it you bought it" This made it impossible to cool any of your own personal
items in the refrigerator. It took several confrontations with staff to get them to back down. Our friends signed us up for
a shore excursion they thought we would like. We didn't actually want to go but our friends said don't worry you have 24 hours to cancel the excursion.
The next morning we were at the excursion desk trying to cancel. The result? 3 more confrontations with different staff members until their
top manager (called down from his room)very grudgingly canceled the excursion. This attitude is unbelieveable! I could go on & on.
Slow service in dining room, No midnight buffet, lukewarm food for breakfast.
The ship itself was marvelous however and I found the entertainment simply awesome. In general though the attitude of the
staff and RCL management was so poor compared to our other cruises I will not patronize RCL ships again.

Posts: 183 | From: Esperance, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 08-29-2005 01:43 PM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a thought, but if you liked RCCL as I did 15 years ago and want that similar experience, look to Princess. I think they represent the experience that I had on the Song of America with some updates. I do know that their "all you can drink" sticker did work on their private island, Princess Cay.

Celebrity and Holland America offer a more upscale experience. Personally RCCL is very active and offers more of a resort experience, then a cruise vacation experience. That why we ( my wife and I ) prefer Princess and Celebrity and eager to try Holland America.

Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-29-2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’ve just returned from ‘Explorer’. Personally I think RCI have amazing ships and are very good value, but they are 'mass-market'. Their fares are reasonable, but they put a lot of effort into extracting the cash for your wallet, onboard. Mind you all mass market cruise lines do. I was constantly reminded by RCI's 'hard-sell' that I was cruising on an income generation machine.

Some of the more upscale lines such as Celebrity and especially Cunard, charge a higher fare but do not seem so intent on giving you the hard-sell onboard. It swings and roundabouts.

The 'Voyager' class are amazing ships, especially for families, and the active, but they are very busy. Celebrity are more spacious, sometimes holding 1000 less people, with better food and service - but you pay for it.

[ 08-29-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-29-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having been on RCCL, Princess, and Celebrity, I prefer the latter. Someone once described to me that Celebrity had a more masculine feel to their decor and ships, more modern and contemporary of a feel. Almost like going to a Modern Art Museum that was also a hotel and spa. Their excellent food and onboard amenities are geared towards your creature comforts.

Princess is also an excellent product and to me felt like a more 'upscale' version of RCCL, though a bit softer in the decor and art, not as 'over the top' or pretentious, like RCCL was trying to hard.

RCCL does have amazing ships, but I would not choose to go back on them again.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-29-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joan,
I think what you read in the RCI review can happen on ANY mass-market line. Princess, NCL, RCI, and Carnival. They all pressure passengers to spend money onboard, sometimes to the extent of becoming a nuisance. Personally I feel Princess is the worst. They have art for sale strewn all over the ship, you receive constant flyers in your cabin trying to sell you things, and they set up tables in the atrium everyday selling crap. They charge for some other things too like ice cream and premium orange juice. Of course there are the usual announcements trying to promote more onboard spending opportunities during the day as well.

If you want to get away from that, you are going to have to go with a more upscale line like Celebrity or Crystal (even HAL has revenue producing announcements).

As for the poor customer service ... again it can happen on just about any mass-market line. It's the luck of the draw and you just hope you deal with someone polite and knowledgeable. Again, you will find more professional service the higher you go on the cruise line food chain.

So at the end of the day, I would not hesitate to book Royal Caribbean. They are average in the food and service department, but their ships are probably the most stunning afloat. You can't expect the same experience (on any mass-market cruise line) that you had 15 years ago. The industry has changed dramatically, and so have the ships and the people that sail them. Cruises have become more affordable, but at a price to the quality of the overall experience.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-29-2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I cruised with Fred Olsen a few years ago on the 'Black Watch'. They had a guy doing a port lecture, before each port of call. Much of his lecture involved telling us how to avoid the offical excursions, how to do do your own thing (bus, taxi, tram or walk) and save money!

In addition the drink-waiters only tended to approach you if you hailed them, they rarely spoke first or tried to 'push' drinks on you.

Can you imagine these practices on an Ameican style ship?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-29-2005 07:30 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree about RCI being truly mass market. Even though lines such as Princess and Celebrity could be considered mass market as well, they have a more upscale feel to them IMO. The decor on Princess ships has become rather bland since the days of Crown and Regal in the early 1990s-those two were quite 'Italian modern' when 1st introduced. I cruised on Crown again after her redecorating and she was toned down and transformed into a more traditional looking ship. I actually preferred her bolder look when 1st commisioned.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jmfleser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1141

posted 08-30-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for jmfleser   Email jmfleser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the opinions everyone. We've cruised mostly on Princess and even though they do have the tables of "stuff" out for sale they don't charge you every time you move something around the frig. But, my daughter's been dying to try one of the Voyager class ships and with a couple of days off from school in Oct. and Cape Liberty only about a 3 hr drive, we just might have to give it a go.

J

Posts: 183 | From: Esperance, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-30-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jmfleser:
We've cruised mostly on Princess and even though they do have the tables of "stuff" out for sale they don't charge you every time you move something around the frig.

Your daughter will certainly love it.

I've just returned from 'Explorer' (one of the Voyager class). The fridge in our cabin was not high-tec?

MOORHOUSE
First Class Passenger
Member # 5741

posted 08-30-2005 03:40 PM      Profile for MOORHOUSE        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I drank from the mini bars onboard Explorer all the time and didnt get charged.

Once the stateroom attendent asked if we had bought a soda pass (which we had) so I guess if you have one of those the minibar might be free?

Posts: 81 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-30-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MOORHOUSE:
Once the stateroom attendent asked if we had bought a soda pass (which we had) so I guess if you have one of those the minibar might be free?

I'm pretty sure that a soda pass does NOT cover the mini-bar?

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-30-2005 05:37 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RCCL's flyer says it covers "fountain sodas and juices at all bars and lounges, Windjammer, Dining Room and Private Destinations." So the mini bar wouldn't have been included... no fountains in there. Think you were lucky Ben.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.