- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » Best Lobby/Atrium (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Best Lobby/Atrium
Corey H.
First Class Passenger
Member # 5202

posted 06-15-2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Corey H.   Email Corey H.   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Which ship do you think has the best lobby/atrium? I think the Carnival Spirit/Valor, Constellation, and the Costa Mediterranea have the best lobbies/atriums.

-Corey H.

Posts: 172 | From: TAMPA Florida USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
LaLa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5684

posted 06-15-2005 02:19 PM      Profile for LaLa     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Voyager Class
Posts: 132 | From: Delaware | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 06-15-2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think I really understand the point of htese huge lobbies. I've never seen one (in a ship), but i can imagine the wow! factor.

But it must take a huge slce out of the ships internals. Suppose the atrium was cut down to three decks on these chips; how much extra space would that provide for lounges, bars, and cabins?

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-15-2005 03:02 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the function of atriums on larger ships is very important even though they seem to be a "waste" of space.

First, they provide a focal point for the ship that gives orientation. The atrium is the central artery that connects the ship and gives people a sense of direction. It helps the flow of traffic. It fuctions much like a city plaza or "centrum" as RCI calls them.

Secondly, the open atrium gives a sense of spaciousness in what traditionally has been a closed, claustrophobic, environment. I think we take for granted the open spaces on modern cruise ships. Older ships had very few open spaces. I especially like RCI's use of open space and glass to create a very different onboard feeling than in ages past.

BTW, not all atriums need to be huge wastes of space. Princess and Celebrity have both stuck to limited sizes (3-4 decks). And even smaller ships like Europa and RSSC's ships use them for the reasons listed above.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-15-2005 03:32 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the function of atriums on larger ships is very important even though they seem to be a "waste" of space.

I’m not sure I agree.

First, they provide a focal point for the ship that gives orientation.

They make the middle of ships look like a shopping mall. The only time I ever go to the atrium is if I need to complain to the purser’s desk. I do not enjoy the bars that are in some atriums because I feel like I’m sitting in though fare.

Secondly, the open atrium gives a sense of spaciousness in what traditionally has been a closed, claustrophobic, environment.

I'm with Tom here, the only real purpose of giant Atrium in my opinion is the ‘wow’ factor, but this only lasts 30 seconds, followed by the ‘why’ factor.

The vast vertical space is not one I can use because I can't fly!

BTW, not all atriums need to be huge wastes of space. Princess and Celebrity have both stuck to limited sizes (3-4 decks). And even smaller ships like Europa and RSSC's ships use them for the reasons listed above.

I do like modest Atriums.

Micky Arison demanded the QM2 must have an atrium, in the original internal plans she did not. He said people would expect one!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 06-15-2005 03:58 PM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Millenium Class (Celebrity) and Sun Class (Princess) have the most elegant and useful attrium I have seen. The Grand Class (Princess) attriums are too small for that size ship and get over crowded at peak hours. Century Class (Celebrity ) are just odd, tried to be cutting edge, but not very functional.
Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-15-2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Malcolm - some decades ago ships were inspred by Versailles today they look like shopping malls...

I like decent sized atria but these tower high atria do not give me the feeling of spaciousness - actually the contrary is the case for me as I really HATE the twilight cased by the "mixture" of artifical and (not enough) daylight.
I can also not see why too big atria help to move around the ship - on most decks the opeing in the deck floor is even an obstacle you have to walk around.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
elad
First Class Passenger
Member # 5150

posted 06-15-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for elad   Email elad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi
my favourite is this onboard QM2.
the QM2 lobby is very atractive and its feels very elegant . even though the atrium onboard QM2 is high , its steel gives you quite an intimate enviroment . those atriums onboard the Century trio are very elegant and functional . i specially like the "mini atriums" over the champgne bar with wall paintings .
another nice atrium can be found onboard Europa .
i really dont like all the neon - lighted atriums which can be fauond onboard Carnival ships .

Elad

Posts: 747 | From: israel | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
jsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 3816

posted 06-15-2005 04:50 PM      Profile for jsea     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite atrium would be Radiance Class Centrums:

I know they're huge but in my opinion they are masterfully designed with the elevator lobby to one side (featuring two glass lifts overlooking the Centrum and 4 out to sea) which has the creative ship maps replete with elevator call buttons. A few smaller lounges flank the Centrum as it goes up and there are plenty of balconies to look down at the activity below. It's great when they have a band or dancing going on. And the Crown & Anchor room which caps it off (including a glass porthole upon which you can stand and look down the entire 9 decks) is also very well incorporated with two mini bridges.

For a smaller atriums, I agree that Sun Class and Millennium Class have very nice lobbies.

Sun Class:

Posts: 644 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-15-2005 04:53 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As it has been mentioned twice already - I cordially hate the atrium of the Europa. It pulls down the whole ship and is very much against the elegance which is associated with her name. I looks cheap is too small and has the same strange light as most wrong proportioned atira. This is just very, very wrong for a proper Europa - I honestly hope their next Europa (or the Hanseatic II everybody has been talking about) will be nicer.

[ 06-15-2005: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 06-16-2005 06:50 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think summit (milli. class) have one of the nices, carnival spirit, and valor.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 06-16-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Sovereign of the Seas has a great atrium - but my favourite space is QM2 - not just the atrium itself but the awe-inspiring central passageways that lead to and from it. To stand by the tapestry in the Britannia Restaurant is so fantastic that I just love it,
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
sealeg claude
First Class Passenger
Member # 5565

posted 06-19-2005 01:01 AM      Profile for sealeg claude   Email sealeg claude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,

IMO, Millie class have the most elegant and
at the same time funstional atrium; their '' cousin''
at RCCL, Radiance class, are a close 2nd

Cheers
CG

Posts: 173 | From: vancouver, b.c. Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
sealeg claude
First Class Passenger
Member # 5565

posted 06-19-2005 01:02 AM      Profile for sealeg claude   Email sealeg claude   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi,

IMO, Millie class have the most elegant and
at the same time funstional atrium; their '' cousin''
at RCCL, Radiance class, are a close 2nd

Cheers
CG

Posts: 173 | From: vancouver, b.c. Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 06-19-2005 10:01 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QM2 plus Celebrity M Class ships.
Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
JohnEZ
First Class Passenger
Member # 5675

posted 06-20-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for JohnEZ   Email JohnEZ   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You know, I don't really like atriums. Impressive though they may be, I would be 10 times happier with a reception room spanning the width of a ship, two decks tall than such a narrow upward opening.
Posts: 12 | From: NJ | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 06-20-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ship with the best atrium? A tie among all those ships that don't have one.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-20-2005 06:47 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Queen Mary 1 Picadilly Circus and Queen Elizabeth 1 Grand 1st class foyer.
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
cruiseshipluver
First Class Passenger
Member # 5104

posted 06-20-2005 10:49 PM      Profile for cruiseshipluver   Author's Homepage   Email cruiseshipluver   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think the Sovereign class, Legend OTS, the radiance class(althought they may seem a lil confusing), QM2 is nice, although might not be as tall as RCi or Carnival,
cruiseshipluver

Posts: 1797 | From: Barbados--cruiseship capital of the Southern Caribbean | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 06-21-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QM2 definitely gets my vote. It's simply sheer class and elegance.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
debr
First Class Passenger
Member # 5126

posted 06-27-2005 12:28 AM      Profile for debr     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My personal favorite are the Radiance and the Vision class, although i also like Crystal's modest, small atruims. I think the atruim of a cruise ship is one of the most important part of the ship. I cant imagine cruising without one. Firstly, the visual appeal is stunning, a masterpeice of art and engineering, secondly it ties the ship together. Thirdly, i agree, it gives a sense of spaciousness. As "Mr. Carnival" said, people expect it. We see high rise, luxury resorts build with atruims, and the cruise industry is capitalizing on the same idea.
Posts: 56 | From: Indiana | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-27-2005 02:18 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by debr:
I think the atruim of a cruise ship is one of the most important part of the ship.

No disrespect, but I think they probably are the LEAST important part of a ship.

'Atriums' are just a modern fashion. Many great ships did not have Atriums as such. As already noted the Queen Mary 2 nearly did not have one, and the one she does have is quite modest for her size. It's allso very tasteful - a rare thing.

The original 'Queen Mary's' Lobby/First class reception is far more attractive than any Atrium in my opinion.

I prefer an attractive lobby than a gigantic vertical hole which I regard as a pure waste of space. As for 'spaciousness' I rather they use all of that wasted space and added to more functional public rooms or the cabins.

[ 06-27-2005: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
mec1
First Class Passenger
Member # 4287

posted 06-27-2005 03:28 AM      Profile for mec1   Author's Homepage   Email mec1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So Malcolm would you say that balconies, private bathrooms, television and air conditioning are also just modern fads?
Posts: 1675 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 06-27-2005 08:48 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
mec1 wrote:
So Malcolm would you say that balconies, private bathrooms, television and air conditioning are also just modern fads?

These listed are necessities, an atrium (especially a multistorey one) isn't.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-27-2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mec1:

As I grow older I begin to realise that so much of our culture and behaviour is determined by fashion.

I must agree the improvements in ‘creature comforts’ (private toilets and air con) are unlikely to be just passing fads. However, I do not think Atriums are particularly important to many peoples cruise experience.

On a big mega-ship I often only find myself passing through the Atrium on rare occasions, anyway. I did not miss Atriums on Fred Olsen’s ships, the QE2 and the SS France to name a few.

Although many people enjoy private balconies and pay a premium fare for them, especially in Europe, I do not think they are particularly essential to one cruise experience. I do not opersonally think TV are that important. There are still of course small ships without TV's in every cabin, the Van Gogh springs to mind.

To me the very definition of luxury is something that is a little bit better, that you do not need, but you have to pay a hell of a lot for it!

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.