- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...TUI Cruises has taken delivery of Mein Schiff 7 from shipbuilders Meyer Turku in Finland. The seventh ship in the Mein Schiff fleet was handed over at an official signing ceremony attended by Meyer Turku’s CEO Tim Meyer and head of projects Tom Degerman, and TUI Cruises’ CEO Wybcke Meier and chief financial officer Frank Kuhlmann. “Mein Schiff 7’s...

Latest News...Holland America Line, an industry leader in destination-centric longer voyages, has updated this fall’s Legendary Voyage, “Tales of the South Pacific”, to now include a call to Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Zaandam will become one of an exclusive group of ships to call at the island, providing guests an exciting addition to an already idyllic vacation. ...

Latest News... Lindblad Expeditions Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: LIND; the "Company" or "Lindblad Expeditions"), recognized global leader of adventure travel and the pioneer of modern expedition cruising, today announced that it has added two purpose-built Galápagos expedition vessels to join the Lindblad Expeditions-National Geographic fleet. "We recognize and appreciate the immense privilege our Company has to operate...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Ships   » P&O order new Princess clone (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: P&O order new Princess clone
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 05:03 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:
Studying the design reveals a few key changes from the Princess version.

1. The funnels (duh)
2. MUTS seems better integrated in front of the funnel
3. The balcony decks are blended into the fore and aft superstructures.
4. The lifeboats on RP are inboard but on the P&O ship they clearly hang outside the hull. Notice the shadows. And they are a different design. This may mean a different promenade design or obstructed cabins.
5. No seawalk on the P&O ship.

I have a feeling the lifeboats and davit design will be the same on both ships. Remember these drawings are somewhat preliminary (especially the Princess one) and I also believe the P&O drawing has more detail.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-01-2011 10:05 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't realise that P&O was getting that popular to warrent new ships of that size.

One main problem I can see is that this ship with Princess does not have a glass sliding roof over the pool. I am not sure if the P&O ship will get one, but P&O ships tend to go to climates where you may need this feature. P&O go to the Baltic, Norway, Iceland etc. Princess does not tend to go there as much as P&O.

I feel for the climate that P&O travel to a glass roof is imperative on their ships.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-01-2011 10:06 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
eroller,

you may be right, and i think it would be odd for these ships to have different lifeboat arrangements, but take a look at this image from Princess. It shows the RP lifeboats in detail and they appear to be recessed over the hull.

whereas the image of the P&O ship shows very clearly a shadow on the hull indicated the lifeboats are outside similar to Nor. Epic.

granted, these images are preliminary and not from the same angle...but with renderings now CG and based on the ship's actual architecture (unlike renderings of the past done by artists)...it would be odd to have such a significant detail not be accurate.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 10:19 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
eroller,

you may be right, and i think it would be odd for these ships to have different lifeboat arrangements, but take a look at this image from Princess. It shows the RP lifeboats in detail and they appear to be recessed over the hull.

While anything is possible, I highly doubt the finished product will result in two different lifeboat arrangements. There would be no reason to do so. The entire purpose of building a multi-platform ship is to have as many elements uniform as possible. This decreases the overall cost and provides easier cross-utlization of crew if desired. It would be more feasible if the Princess ship was already built and it was decided after a test period that a different arrangement was desired.

I'm guessing the renderings just are not that detailed, or it's also possible that Carnival Shipbuilding decided on a different arrangement for both ships after the Princess rendering was released. So perhaps it's updated on the P&O version but they never bothered to update the Princess rendering. It's certainly not a detail most people would care about or even take notice of. Just a possibility.

Ernie

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 06-01-2011 10:31 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with your logic, Ernie. I think you're very likely right. But it would be rather curious if they were different. And if CCL went through the effort/expense of changing the lifeboats and promenade arrangement...why not other structural elements as well. Well, in a few years we'll know the answer.
Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-01-2011 10:42 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I agree with your logic, Ernie. I think you're very likely right. But it would be rather curious if they were different. And if CCL went through the effort/expense of changing the lifeboats and promenade arrangement...why not other structural elements as well. Well, in a few years we'll know the answer.

You know I decided to watch the Princess video of ROYAL PRINCESS again. It does show the lifeboat arrangement in a lot more detail. Of course as you pointed out on RP the lifeboats sort of sit on the promenade deck (like the Solstice Class), where as on the P&O ship they hang off the side like OASIS and EPIC. Also on the Princess version the promenade deck in front of the first lifeboat is a large open deck. On the P&O version it appears all enclosed.

So maybe they will be different? It makes no sense to me but perhaps there is some internal arrangement change that required a different lifeboat arrangement? P&O did change the funnel and took off the skywalk, so perhaps they changed the lifeboat arrangement too in order to incorporate more internal space?

We should know for sure when the deck plans are released. Thanks for pointing it out. You obviously have a good eye for detail.

Ernie

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 06-02-2011 01:07 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had wish P&O put more thought into differentiate AZURA and VENTURA with the Princess Grands. Finally with this class.....
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 06-02-2011 05:44 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once the new cruise ship enters service it is possible the P & O could transfer the mv Oriana to Australian cruising and maybe get rid of the Pacific Sun which seems to have more than her share of mechanical problems.
Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
reeves35
First Class Passenger
Member # 6021

posted 06-02-2011 07:14 AM      Profile for reeves35   Email reeves35   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unlikely Oriana would make it to Australia even though its seahandling abilities would make her a great choice for the Coral Sea cruising out of Sydney and Brisbane.

P&O have just modified her making her an adults only ship which would mean she would have limited use downunder where the adults-only market is still concentrated with premium lines.

[ 06-02-2011: Message edited by: reeves35 ]

Posts: 343 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
reeves35
First Class Passenger
Member # 6021

posted 06-02-2011 07:15 AM      Profile for reeves35   Email reeves35   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry double post

[ 06-02-2011: Message edited by: reeves35 ]

Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-02-2011 10:45 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Oceana will be first to leave the P&O fleet before Oriana.

As said above the refit makes Oriana less marketable to many lines. In any event when Oriana does leave P&O and probably comes to Australia it will probably have to have a refit where cabins are smashed out in order to get the kids club back.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Now P&O are getting a clone of Princess and as P&O are favoured by me more than Princess, it is giving me little incentive to try the ship with Princess knowing that I can easily sail on it with P&O if I wanted to.

Does anyone else feel the same way that these cruise lines are shooting themself in the foot sharing clones as there is little incentive to try other lines based on new and innovative ships.

Christophe D
First Class Passenger
Member # 1680

posted 06-02-2011 10:55 AM      Profile for Christophe D   Author's Homepage   Email Christophe D   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am very surprised that it will be four years to build the ship !!!
Perhaps Costa will order two sames ships for delivey from 2013 and 2014, so before the P&0 ship.

What is the lenght of the new ship ?

Posts: 282 | From: Dunkerque, France | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-02-2011 11:10 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

While anything is possible, I highly doubt the finished product will result in two different lifeboat arrangements. There would be no reason to do so. The entire purpose of building a multi-platform ship is to have as many elements uniform as possible. This decreases the overall cost and provides easier cross-utlization of crew if desired. It would be more feasible if the Princess ship was already built and it was decided after a test period that a different arrangement was desired.[....]
I'm guessing the renderings just are not that detailed, or it's also possible that Carnival Shipbuilding decided on a different arrangement for both ships after the Princess rendering was released.

Whereas I agree that since we have not yet seen the actual ships we do not know whether e.g. changes were made to the Princess design (compared to the first press releases) but I don't think that there 'must not' be 'more substantial' differences between two varieties of 'one platform'. Modern design as well as production methods make it comparably easy to 'customize' or change a design in a rather significant way while still maintaining (cost saving) commonalities.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-02-2011 11:33 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:

One other thing I forgot to mention. Now P&O are getting a clone of Princess and as P&O are favoured by me more than Princess, it is giving me little incentive to try the ship with Princess knowing that I can easily sail on it with P&O if I wanted to.

I'm just the opposite. I prefer Princess and there is little incentive for me to try the same ship sailing for P&O.

It's been a gripe of mine ever since Carnival started cloning ships across multiple brands. I understand all the reasons behind it, but as savvy consumer who knows cruise ships and cruises often I'm drawn to companies that don't support this practice. I don't mind cloned ships within the same brand, it's when they are across multiple brands I begin to have issues. Thankfully it's been Royal Caribbean's practice to design unique ships for the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity brands and that is one reason I'm drawn to these two cruise lines.

This new platform from Carnival Corp has the potential to find it's way across six different brands. Whether that happens or not I don't know, but I do know I would have little interest in sailng the same ship across six different brands.

Ernie

Cam J
First Class Passenger
Member # 24617

posted 06-02-2011 08:00 PM      Profile for Cam J   Email Cam J   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

As with the Princess newbuilds I like this ship. Im not too crazy about the two seperate funnels however those are the only minor issues I have. Can't wait to see more of this ship.

Also, when Carnival orders their new ship(s) i'm pretty sure its going to be this hull. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

Cam J

Posts: 503 | From: Belvedere, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-03-2011 04:11 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm just the opposite. I prefer Princess and there is little incentive for me to try the same ship sailing for P&O.

It's been a gripe of mine ever since Carnival started cloning ships across multiple brands. I understand all the reasons behind it, but as savvy consumer who knows cruise ships and cruises often I'm drawn to companies that don't support this practice. I don't mind cloned ships within the same brand, it's when they are across multiple brands I begin to have issues. Thankfully it's been Royal Caribbean's practice to design unique ships for the Royal Caribbean and Celebrity brands and that is one reason I'm drawn to these two cruise lines.

This new platform from Carnival Corp has the potential to find it's way across six different brands. Whether that happens or not I don't know, but I do know I would have little interest in sailng the same ship across six different brands.

Ernie

That is one of the reasons I booked Celebrity Solstice for March 2013 out of Sydney. Unique ship with a cruise line I am yet to try.

I could have tried HAL or Cunard as my taste of Premium but there was little incentive as they both use Vista ships and I have already tried a Vista ship with P&O.

In general my mood towards Carnival is changing to not liking them at all and I am slowly feeling like defecting to competition lines. Reasons are pricing - knocking back prices close to sailing punishing those who book early, running substandard shabby ships out of Australia - poor/little choice for us. Onboard prices have shot up in the last few years with P&O is making me lose interest in continuing with them.

reeves35
First Class Passenger
Member # 6021

posted 06-03-2011 05:28 AM      Profile for reeves35   Email reeves35   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whilst cruise fanatics are keen to try different ships, the average cruise customer probably couldn't care. One of my friends is going on a cruise next week and didn't even know the name of the ship; she was just looking forward to the holiday.

RCI and Carnival will always have a fundamental difference in how they deploy their hull types and that is because they have a fundamentally different brand strategy. RCI have a strategy of using a couple of brands around the world. This has strengths and weaknesses. For example RCI is a great product but most Australians would not think of Royal Caribbean when looking for a South Pacific cruise.

Carnival have a multi-brand strategy so they naturally have to spread hull types across their brands. It would be lunacy if they created a unique hull for Costa and another for Carnival and another for Princess. Carnival have adopted a soft-product differentiation strategy and generally it works but there have been some notable failures.

Brad

sunviking82
First Class Passenger
Member # 4930

posted 06-03-2011 09:18 AM      Profile for sunviking82     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I personally have no issue with Carnival's direction. I prefer a few common platforms built accross the brands with each line's signature elements verse having 10 of the same ship (Voyager/Freedom) within the same line.

Princess and Carnival have over done it with the Grand / Destiny classes, so my hope is to see 2-4 of this class across 3 or 4 brands. This should open the opportunity for more designs (I hope).

Let's face it, ships are expensive to design and build, and all the lines RCI, NCL, and Carnival are going to get the most bang for the buck. Also, while we tend to judge, 98% of the traveling public go because they like the service or the intinary, not because of the ship. I must admit, I am not a big fan of the Grand class, but I am going on my 9th cruise on one because I enjoy Princess and where they are going.

Posts: 383 | From: Minneapolis Minnesota , USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-03-2011 11:01 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know what the specifications are of Royal Princess like length, width etc. All we know is the typical BS like 141,000tons and 3,600 passengers. Not a lot of good that information is unless you have its dimensions.

This ship could be a good new design if its space ratio is more friendly than the enlarged Grand class.

For a ship enthusiast like myself different ships are important as much as the cruise.

I find it amusing that some groups of people dont know the name of the ship they are sailing on. I wonder how they get on in land holidays when they dont know the chain of hotel they are staying at or the name of the airport to go to or which countries they are visiting. To me people that dont know all the above are living in pixieland with their head in the clouds.

Cam J
First Class Passenger
Member # 24617

posted 06-04-2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Cam J   Email Cam J   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sutho:
Does anyone know what the specifications are of Royal Princess like length, width etc.

I dont beleive those specifications have been released yet.

Cam J

Posts: 503 | From: Belvedere, CA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
KenC
First Class Passenger
Member # 6341

posted 06-04-2011 02:56 PM      Profile for KenC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any one willing to suggest a name yet??? Something generic rather than historic methinks (Azura, Ventura, Zabola)!!! But as new flagship, who knows maybe 'Canberra (II)'??? Or what about a wonderfully non p.c. 'Viceroy of India'

Ken

Posts: 353 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-04-2011 06:38 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've always thought that 'Viceroy of India' was one of the most amazing names for a liner.

P&O (like Cunard) has some great historic names to choose from but as w/Cunard, they apparently don't want to re-use them. The current line-up of P&O names sound a little like Matson Lines names.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 06-04-2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the choice of names for the P & O ships is due to Carnival deciding what to name a P & O cruise ship.

They have little history themselves to go back on in name choosing !

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
crz00
First Class Passenger
Member # 17468

posted 06-04-2011 09:12 PM      Profile for crz00     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
this is half expected as they share ships with Princess anyway. I have a vibe they will keep this platform for P&O and Princess and when they are old enough (15 to 20 years time) P&O Australia
Posts: 26 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
crz00
First Class Passenger
Member # 17468

posted 06-04-2011 09:29 PM      Profile for crz00     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Ernie

Ive cruised with Princess in Australian waters and Im trying the Diamond for new years eve this year. Would you mind sharing what the main differences are? I quite like the Princess ships and would consider the P&O UK ships. Though one would think I should expect a very similar product

Posts: 26 | From: Sydney | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.