- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruising 1.0   » Transatlantic

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Transatlantic
arosakulm
First Class Passenger
Member # 5556

posted 02-18-2011 07:07 PM      Profile for arosakulm   Email arosakulm      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Question. My wife is getting tired of cruising to Alaska for the last four years (I can't understand why) but I think I've got her convinced to go transatlantic on the QM2 this year.
My question is, is it better eastbound (NY to Southamton) or westbound (Southampton to NY)?
The pro's are leaving NY is spectacular but I've done it twice on the QE2 albeit to the Carribean, but you lose one hour of sleep every day going to Britain and the pro's of going westbound is that you gain an hours sleep every day (bonus, eh!).
Also, do you not get a "following" sea going eastbound whereas you get an "oncoming" sea going westbound because of the Gulf Stream? I fare much better in an "oncoming" versus a "following" sea.
Also, which side is preferable - port or starboard - depending on direction?
Thanks,
George

Posts: 22 | From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-18-2011 10:52 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never done a transatlantic before but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once. Just kidding! Well, not the part about the 'transatlantics'. However there are some 'old salts' on here that will have plenty of advice coming your way. In the mean time let me offer a few impressions I have from all the 'studying' I did when I was seriously considering a transatlantic cruise on the Norway as well as the QE2 but never committed to.

If it were me I would prefer doing the WESTBOUND. Reasons being:

- the opportunity to visit London or Paris (again) as a pre-cruise then relax on the ship heading back to the US. Paris to London on the Chunnel train is pretty easy now (from what I hear) and you could do both before the cruise.

- gain one hour each night as opposed to losing an hour. Really cant do much with the extra hour except catch up on your sleep.

- no super long all-day 'daylight' westbound Transatlantic flights back home (all the way to Vancouver?) after your cruise is over, when you most likely are ready to just get back to the real world. At least going to London (or Paris) it's an overnight flight and you can sleep, sort of.

- leaving from NYC heading eastbound maybe isn't as thrilling as it used to be when the ships left from Manhattan and you sailed down the Hudson and past the skyline of New York City and Statue of Liberty. 

As far as the sea conditions, I hear QM2 handles her own quite well and this may not be as much of a factor? 

The last time I considered a transatlantic on QE2 I ended up just spending eight days in London and sightseeing. Kind of wish I HAD done that cruise but QE2 really impressed me as the kind of ship/liner only historians and serious ship-o-philes would enjoy.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-19-2011 01:25 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We did our only QM2 Transat when she was still docking at the Mid-Town piers which of course offered the spectacular view of the Mahattan skyline. The previous Transats were on QE2 and one on ss France when I was a small child.

If you are traveling eastbound, I would book a starboard side cabin for maximum sun. Port side for a westbound crossing.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-19-2011 06:11 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the fall many regular cruiseships have repositioning voyages from Europe to the Caribbean and can be a very good value.
Springtime reverse.

Crossers and cruisers are different breeds.

Crossers tend to be adventurous inveterate travelers, somewhat eccentric, looking for unusual travel venues.

Cruisers tend to be more vanilla, want a vacation where they are waited on, and not have to think about where to eat or sleep.

[ 02-19-2011: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-19-2011 06:36 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
In the fall many regular cruiseships have repositioning voyages from Europe to the Caribbean and can be a very good value. Springtime reverse.

An excellent point if someone is flexible in schedule and can do something other than the standard 6-9 night summer North Atlantic transatlantic. There are some incredible deals on fall sailings from places like Civitavecchia (Rome) and Barcelona ending in Galveston, New Orleans, Tampa, and south Florida that are as long as 16+ days.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-19-2011 06:40 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've made over 20 transatlantic crossings, with another one booked for this July on ROTTERDAM. I much prefer westbound sailings with the 25-hour days, versus eastbound with 23-hour days. In effect you're getting an extra half-day on board, and the Lines usually charge more for westbound because they are more in demand.

Don't be overly concerned about following seas and on-coming seas. I've had rough weather in both directions and calm seas in both directions.

Typically you would want a cabin on the South side of the ship (starboard eastbound, port westbound), as pointed out in an earlier post, especially if you're on a newer ship with a balcony; that's going to be the sunny side.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
docfl
First Class Passenger
Member # 4218

posted 02-20-2011 11:59 AM      Profile for docfl   Author's Homepage        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We did a transatlantic from Ft Lauderdale to Rome. The Carnival Liberty was doing a repositioning and while It was confusing gaining an hour a day, at the end We enjoyed the crossing. I wish we could do that again but finances wont let us.
docfl

Posts: 112 | From: Tampa Fl | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
arosakulm
First Class Passenger
Member # 5556

posted 02-20-2011 04:33 PM      Profile for arosakulm   Email arosakulm      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

arosakulm
First Class Passenger
Member # 5556

posted 02-20-2011 04:38 PM      Profile for arosakulm   Email arosakulm      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank You all for your comments and recommedations (Holiday Inn Express??. Booked Westbound on QM2 (portside) in September 2011 in Q5 category.
Regards,
George

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 02-20-2011 06:09 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QM2 crossings are now usually 7 nights*, so you do not lose an hour each night on eastbound crossings. I don't know how they make up the 5 hours on their 7-night crossings, but it might not be 1 hour at a time when they do turn the clocks ahead.

Even when QE2 was doing 5-night crossings they did not always turn the clocks ahead every night on eastbound crossings. On some ot the 10 eastbound crossings that I took, they tried different schemes to turn the clocks ahead by 5 hours during the voyage.

For example, on my last eastbound crossing in November 1987 they used the following scheme:

a) Turn clocks ahead by 2 hours a few minutes after leaving New York. This took into account that many people flew to NY on sailing day, were tired, and tended to go to bed early anyways.

b) Turn clocks ahead by 30 minutes on nights 3 and 4. Losing only 30 minutes sleep twice in 5 nights was a lot better than losing 1 hour every night.

c) Turn clocks ahead by 2 hours during lunch on arrival day. This recognised the fact that most passengers travelled to London and beyond and ended up eating dinner late on arrival day and the 2 hour change at lunchtime shortened the time between lunch and dinner.

On two other voyages they turned the clock ahead by 1 hour on nights 2, 3 and 4 and then turned the clock ahead by 2 hours at lunch on arrival day.

Even when they turned the clocks ahead every night, I only missed breakfast once and never felt tired after losing the hour.

OTOH, on my westbound crossings which were all 5-night voyages they turned the clock back every night and I miseed brekfast more often than not. Go, figure.

Brian

* in 2011 there is only one 6-night crossing scheduled.

[ 02-20-2011: Message edited by: Brian_O ]

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 03-21-2011 10:23 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Back in the days when QE2 was a transAtlantic, two-class ocean liner, my late wife and I liked the Eastbound portion of our voyages better.

If the weather was favorable (not warm just no rain) ,we loved to sit in the sun and watch the wake unwind. There were, I think five such decks facing aft, and at different levels. We prefered the area just below the funnel deck.

[ 03-21-2011: Message edited by: Cambodge ]

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.