- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruising 1.0   » No Water? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: No Water?
WhiteStar
First Class Passenger
Member # 2740

posted 03-29-2007 06:29 PM      Profile for WhiteStar   Email WhiteStar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just heard from a friend of mine that Carnival has instituted a policy of no water or soft drinks are allowed to be brought on board. I can understand the no booze policy but a bottle of water???

Any truth to this?

Posts: 668 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-29-2007 07:11 PM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I havnt't heard about this, but I know they had that policy on planes for a while(which i believed just recently they stopped). But considering there are plenty of drinks onboard I dont see that it's a big issue if it is in fact true.
Posts: 1197 | From: Massachusetts where the Brittania was trapped! | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 03-29-2007 07:20 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
People still smuggle booze onboard ships. They put it in their luggage and then have a nice bar selection in their cabin lol. I wouldnt be surprised if someone brought music and had a little bar/lounge in their cabin.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-29-2007 07:38 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is part of the fun of a cruise. Years ago after a day ashore in Jamaica, we brought aboard several bottles of Red Stripe beer (along w/some other adult purchases) for our 'sail away' party on the verandah.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 03-29-2007 08:15 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah no i dont think there is anything wrong with it if i was of age to drink and bring my own stuff i sure would. Its a heck of a lot cheaper and you get more of the good stuff on the ship they probably dont even give you a shot or let alone a finger.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 03-29-2007 08:48 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once again - another reason to enjoy the world on a river cruise (Europe/ Russia/ China) where they ENCOURAGE you to bring your own onboard and enjoy the local selections!
Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 03-30-2007 04:49 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteStar:
I can understand the no booze policy but a bottle of water???
As I understand it, there were two main reasons for imposing a ban on bringing on your own alcohol:-
  1. To avoid the diversion of onboard sales
  2. To maintain some control over excessive alcohol consumption
When passengers started evading the ban - a rule they agreed to when they bought their tickets - it was inevitable that all the alternative smuggling methods would also have to be clamped down on.

As usual, it's the dishonest ones who ruin it for the rest of us.

quote:
Originally posted by J.S.S.Normandie:
I havnt't heard about this, but I know they had that policy on planes for a while(which i believed just recently they stopped).
The liquids ban, and now restriction, on aircraft is for different reasons: security.

[ 03-30-2007: Message edited by: Globaliser ]

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2007 07:07 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had assumed that such ‘bans’ were essentially to stop the loss of onboard revenue? This is probably particularly important in American waters, on mass market lines, where fares can be low. A large proportion of the income comes from sales of drinks; Liquor, bottled water, speciality teas/coffees and soda.

I can't take bottles of booze, coke or water to my local pub to drink either.

[ 03-30-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-30-2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We talked about prices on some of the onboard drinks, For a small can of Coke(used to be a regular size) it's $1.75 US + the 15% gratuity just for them handing you the can.
Talk about piracy on the high seas!!! Same for the water bottles they always sell when you leave the ship in port. I know it's vacation but at least be realistic on pricing! I am not a drinker of the hard stuff so they never get any revenue from me on that. But I'll wager the majority of money taken in each cruise is for booze.
So far we have not had a problem with other cruise lines on bringing aboard soft drinks. But once one line does it the others will follow.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-30-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
I can't take bottles of booze, coke or water to my local pub to drink either. [ 03-30-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

No, but you can take them to your hotel room, and you are able to walk out and replenish stocks whenever you wish. A bit difficult on a ship. Even hotel room service/mini bar prices are becoming 'cheap' compared to the charges on ships once the gratuity is added. I cannot believe they will stop one walking back onboard in a port of call and take your bottle[s] of water off you. Infringement of human rights I would have thought.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-30-2007 12:27 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
But I'll wager the majority of money taken in each cruise is for booze.
Frosty 4

It is a major revenue source for the cruise lines but I don't think they overcharge when you compare the price of mixed drinks and wine in restaurants in a major city.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-30-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alcoholic drinks used to be less than half the cost of equivalent on land, the reason always being cited that mechant vessels purchase their stocks duty free. As prices have now risen, unless they no longer get duty free stocks, then they are profiteering. Cans of coke bought aboard often say 'For Maritime sales only' or similar across them, so I would say such purchases are still duty free.

Pam

Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 03-30-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

I cannot believe they will stop one walking back onboard in a port of call and take your bottle[s] of water off you. Infringement of human rights I would have thought.

Pam

What about the following:

I allways have a bottle water/softdrink with me when I go ashore. Suppose I bought that one on board and when returning to the ship there is still water in it. Can't I bring the bottle on board ? ? I bought it there

Embarkation is mostly in the afternoon. It's a hot day, so you really need to have a bottle of water with you. It is still not empty (or you refilled it). Not allowed to take it with you ? ?
My goodness, may you take your own toothpaste with you on board ? ?

Stupid rule if it's true.

Willem

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2007 02:23 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...discos, clubs and music venues in London, which charge an admission fee, always search you and your bags for drink and confiscate them if they find any. This includes water in plastic bottles.
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-30-2007 02:50 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But you are not living there and are free to come and go. It would be the same as searching one entering the disco on a ship. The world has turned quite ridiculous anyway, I got this today from BAA

"From 31 March 2007, European Union airports will be unable to sell any liquid purchases to passengers travelling to Australia. All liquids
will be screened at the last point of call and quantities over 100ml will be confiscated."
All in the name of 'security'.. there does not appear to be anyone who wears the hat of "weigher up of inconvenience v security".

The risk of taking a bottle of water purchased airside aboard an aircraft is negligible, but must be deemed a far greater 'risk' than bottles delivered directly to an aircraft. I trust flights to Australia will hand out a bottle of water as soon as one enters the aircraft.

Pam

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-30-2007 06:18 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When I went to Egypt at Christmas from Stansted Airport (UK) I had to do the nonsense below (liquids: a max of 25ml of each, in a tranparent plastic bag) and put these items in my hand baggage for inspection:

As if a glance can tell if they contain acid etc.

On return from Egypt the 'rule' did not seem to apply, yet it was the same bloody airline. What total nonsense!

It's the overreacting authorities that are restricting my freedom, not terrorists! If the authorities make it too much hassel to fly the terrorists have 'won'.

[ 03-31-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 03-30-2007 07:28 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival is not even the first cruise line to ban bringing soft drinks on board; Royal Caribbean quietly began that policy last year. CCL was just waiting to see how it worked out, and they decided to announce it a few days ago.

What is confounding is that CCL still allows you to bring one (1) bottle of wine aboard, but only in the embarkation port, not anywhere enroute. Their published policy now states that any beverages brought to the ship at a port of call will be confiscated and DISCARDED, not even held in bond.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
WhiteStar
First Class Passenger
Member # 2740

posted 03-30-2007 07:30 PM      Profile for WhiteStar   Email WhiteStar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival - the fun ship..

web page

No non-alcoholic beverages allowed on-board.

Posts: 668 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-31-2007 09:46 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This whole business is an infringement on my personal rights. What's next ,you can't buy anything ashore because you should buy your items in the onboard shops!
Maybe you won't be able to take pictures onboard as you have to buy photos from the photo shop.And these are now going at $19.95 each Ouch!
Another post said something about charging to see the entertainment shows-Lots of Luck on that one!!
Frosty 4

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-31-2007 10:00 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
What's next ,you can't buy anything ashore because you should buy your items in the on-board shops!

Well the likes of RCI tell you where to shop shore-side and almost certainly collect a commission on all sales.

During their shopping talks they also try and scare you from shopping in anywhere other than their 'approved' shops. They also give out shopping 'maps' highlighting their suggested shops.

I found the map useful and used it to avoid going into any of their 'recommended' shops.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-31-2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival say: "A liquor and beverage consumption policy was created in order for Carnival to be able to control the liquor consumption of minors and the quantities consumed that lead to the disruptive behaviour of others on board".

It's difficult to prove carry-on liquor results in disruptive behaviour. I'm sure there is plenty of disruptive behaviour due to on board bar sales.

I'm convinced it's all about maximising on-board revenue.

[ 03-31-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 03-31-2007 10:13 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The reason for this is plain and simple - people abusing the rules!

For many years, Carnival allowed people to bring aboard "a reasonable amount" of soft drinks and/or liquor for consumption in their stateroom(s).

However, many, many have chosen to abuse the policy. People mixing drinks on deck, bringing these beverages into lounges, bars and dining rooms, holding large "cocktail parties" (complete with BLENDERS!!) in their staterooms. Many lines have also seen a large rise in people (many underage) brining alcohol aboard in water bottles, soda bottles, etc.

I've even seen photos of people using saline solution bottles to smuggle alcohol onboard and flasks disguised as cellphones. Albeit very clever, it's also very tacky.

If you ever wander over to an unnamed rival website with message boards, you will see that messages regarding "smuggling" of booze and such proliferate and somewhat dominate the discussions on the boards of many mass-market lines.

Unfortunately, this is the state that mass-market cruising has devolved to and a case where the probable minority has ruined it for the majority of rule-abiding, respectful cruisers.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 03-31-2007 10:39 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is something to be said about using the "recommended shops ashore" The cruise line stands behind your purchase. If a problem arises they are back to that port almost weekly and promise to rectify the issue. They do highlight the well known chainstores eg. Dianonds International ,etc. Usually you do get a better deal at these store also.
Has anyone had occasion to ask a cruise line like RCI for help if they had a problem with a purchase at one of their recomended stores??
St. Thomas(shop till you drop)has most of the stores involved with cruise ships.
Frosty 4

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-31-2007 10:44 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in 'Lauderdale:
... you will see that messages regarding "smuggling" of booze and such proliferate and somewhat dominate the discussions on the boards of many mass-market lines.

So what is the best way to 'smuggle' booze,Tim?

Joking aside, I still believe that if you can afford the cabin fare you can afford to buy the alcohol on board. Mind you here in the UK we don't get $299 cruises.

As I said before I don't take my own booze to a pub so I won't to a ship. Mind you I also don't drink like a fish.

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 03-31-2007 11:07 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally I've never carried aboard alcohol, water, or soft drinks ... even when it was allowed. It's not because I'm against it or trying to follow the rules, it's simply because I can't be bothered. I bring enough clothes and I hate carrying those bags as it is, so there is no way I'm going to be loaded down with even more luggage filled with booze. I'll just buy the drinks onboard, always have. Up until my last cruise on OOSTERDAM I have been pretty satisfied with the quality of the drinks. On OOSTERDAM they were pitiful. It's also true that drinks onboard are no longer a bargain. What is a bargain with a cruise these days? Really only one thing ... the price of the ticket. Once onboard, you pay more and receive less compared to many years ago.

As for those that smuggle booze, well I partially blame the cruise lines. They wanted cruising to appeal to the masses and this is just one consequence. Not only are cruises cheap, but the ships are "home ported" close to your town so you don't have to pay for air and can drive your pick-up to the port ... filled with booze of course! When you charge $399 for a 7-day cruise there are a great number of people than can afford the cruise itself (simply charge it), but they are not prepared to pay for all the extra charges onboard such as tipping and the expensive drinks. This is one reason cruise lines started auto-tipping. Too much of the staff were getting stiffed by the new "mass-market" cruiser. This hurts morale, service levels, and eventually the bottom line of the cruise company. So these same passengers look for ways to save money and essentially spend as little onboard as possible. One way is to bring their own booze onboard and these days that means sneaking it onboard anyway possible. Again, I feel the cruise lines are partially to blame. They wanted cruising to appeal to the masses and that is exactly what they got. Now they have to deal with it.

As for various cruise lines stating the alcohol policies are implemented for the "safety and security" of the ship and to protect minors .... what a bunch of BS. It's for one reason and one reason only, to stop the dilution of onboard revenue. Plain and simple. The ship is a contained environment and the cruise lines want to force you to purchase everything from them. This is especially true for alcohol which has a massive mark up and is probably the #1 revenue producer onboard. That single mixed drink you just purchased is probably the same price the cruise line paid for the entire bottle, maybe less. Remember, cruise lines have entire departments devoted to onboard revenue ... how to increase it and how to contain it. Minors can easily obtain alcohol and drinks onboard, right from the bartenders themselves. I've seen it a hundred times. Adults also get sh-- faced all the time, again right from the bartenders who are supposedly "monitoring" the alcohol consumption. I certainly don't blame the bartenders. They are under pressure to sell, sell, sell from the cruise line and of course it affects their tips as well. It's a bit hypocritical on the part of the cruise line and I think the bartenders find themselves in an impossible position.

As we already know, there has been a distinct rise in the phenomenon of people jumping (NOT falling) overboard. In most cases alcohol is involved. It still doesn't stop the cruise lines from selling excessive alcohol. So much for "safety and security".

My two cents!

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.