- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruising 1.0   » exactly what qualifies as "formal" for ladies

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: exactly what qualifies as "formal" for ladies
bigenna
Just Boarded
Member # 8471

posted 02-11-2007 12:24 PM      Profile for bigenna     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My husband and I (just turning 60) are going on our first cruise ever. We will be sailing from Vancouver to Alaska and back on Celebrity's Mercury at the end of May.

I have read on their website that gentlemen can get away with a dark suit (rather than a tux) on formal nights. But what about us ladies?

Will a nice cocktail dress with nice jewellry do? Or do I need a long gown? I would have to buy one, if so, and I will have no use for it afterwards. (Unless of course we get to love cruising..........)

Thanks for any help you can give me. So glad I found this forum. Lots of good reading.

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-11-2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You might be able to find your awnser here

[ 02-11-2007: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-11-2007 02:56 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bigenna:
We will be sailing from Vancouver to Alaska and back on Celebrity's Mercury at the end of May.

A good choice of ship, line and destination. I enjoyed this combination in May 1998. See my image of Mercury (rront) and Galaxy (rear) in Skagway HERE

You will need to take a range of outdoor clothes. Do take an umbrella and waterproofs with you, it may rain quite a bit or be warm and sunny. It will probably be a little cool of a morning and evening, though, so take a thick sweater too.

Do take the White Pass Mountain Railway Excursion in Skagway.

CT ladies, can you please help with dress code?

[ 02-11-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 02-11-2007 05:21 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your short cocktail dress with nice jewellery will be fine. No need for you to go out and buy a long dress.

I do have a long skirt chiffon pleated skirt and I only get to wear it on formal nights on the ship - (I have no use for it at home), - I have a couple of nice tops to go with it. Also dressy pants and a top will look nice.

I have found that some people go all out on formal nights on the Alaska cruises and some don't, so don't worry about it.

I second Malcolm's recommendation on the White Mountail Pass excursion. It was fantastic.

Have a wonderful cruise - you will love Alaska - it's so beautiful.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 02-11-2007 11:00 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico: Your short cocktail dress with nice jewellery will be fine. No need for you to go out and buy a long dress. ........(I have no use for it at home), - I have a couple of nice tops to go with it............
I have found that some people go all out on formal nights on the Alaska cruises and some don't, so don't worry about it. .

I agree with 'sympatico'. We're long time cruisers and much has changed over the last few years..........airline baggage restrictions have seen to that!
"Formal" these days really does not call for 'gowns' but it is nice to dress up for a few special nights on board and if hubby has a tux that's great. You will be perfectly dressed in a cocktail dress or an easily packed long skirt (pure silk or chiffon is ideal) with a couple of dressy tops and jewellery.

For 'cocktail dresses' I personally have no use.......we keep meeting the same people! My floaty long silk skirt, teamed with glitzy top, cashmere sweater or sharp silk shirt works much better for our few 'dress up' occasions - a nice change from the 'pants and top uniform' I seem don daily.

You'll love Alaska - do take the tours suggested.

Bon Voyage!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
bigenna
Just Boarded
Member # 8471

posted 02-12-2007 12:50 AM      Profile for bigenna     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the replies. I might just go and look for a nice long skirt - I already have a few fancy tops.

Also good to get some feedback on the tours. We had been wondering about that too.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-12-2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
bigenna, although it's nice to walk around Alaska’s ports, they do get busy with fellow cruise passengers. You only really start to get a glimpse of the vast wilderness that Alaska really is on board the various excursions.

There are plenty of excursions to choose from and they tend to all be good. However they are quite pricy.

Mercury is a very spacious ship, but now considered medium-sized. However, you will probably be shocked just how big she is; 1870 passengers and approx 1000 crew, so that's 935 cabins!

quote:
Originally posted by bigenna:
I would have to buy one, if so, and I will have no use for it afterwards. (Unless of course we get to love cruising..........)

Of course you will. This will be the first of many!

[ 02-12-2007: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-12-2007 09:53 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As suggested by our lady CTers. That's fine. For men it's a nice conservative suit. You can rent a tux onboard if that's your choice. Sp people go all out on dress. You can take your real jewelry for formal nights.All cabins have safes.
May can be very cool so take warm clothing especially when visiting the glaciers-Hat and gloves are nice as the winds off the glaciers can be very cold. The ship ventures into the ice fields near the glaciers.
The rail trip on White Pass is a must. But I wonder if being May there might be a lot of snow up in the mountains. They have a snow plow engine that clears the tracks. Do a search on Skagway to see what else is there.
If you like fishing ,do the salmon fishing in Ketchikan- you will see loads of bald eagles there. There are a lot of different species of salmon. In some cases you can take a fish back to the ship and they will prepare it for you for the evening meal. Ask.
Alaska is vast so be prepared to see America's wonder land.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-12-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
The rail trip on White Pass is a must. But I wonder if being May there might be a lot of snow up in the mountains.

I did the rail excursion in early May 1998. There was no snow for us or rain, it was sunny and mild. Although I accept that this may not have been typical of the time of year.

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 02-12-2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We did a 10-night cruise on Celebrity Galaxy in June with 3 formal nights. On two of them my wife wore smart mid-length dresses, and on the other one she wore a full-length dress, with smart accessories and a bit of jewellery each time. She didn't feel out-of-place at all.
Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
chateausmith
First Class Passenger
Member # 3423

posted 02-13-2007 08:56 AM      Profile for chateausmith   Email chateausmith   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just back from MSC Opera, shorts T-shirts etc quite common at dinner, maybe 50% of pax had no idea of dress standards. We loved the cruise but probably wont return.....Cheers Chateausmith.
Posts: 68 | From: Alpharetta georgia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 02-13-2007 09:04 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chateausmith:
Just back from MSC Opera, shorts T-shirts etc quite common at dinner, maybe 50% of pax had no idea of dress standards. We loved the cruise but probably wont return.....Cheers Chateausmith.

Only because of the way people dress ???

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-13-2007 09:33 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pascal:

Only because of the way people dress ???

Everyone has a different level of tolerance - what is not noticed by one person can be extremly disturbing for someone else.

How people dress contributes A LOT to the atmosphere and mood - and often it is considered as
polite to contribute to the success of an event by dressing up appropriately - whathever this may be. (mind you that this does not always mean 'formal' !!)

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-13-2007 09:57 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
People don't know what "Formal "means. I have seen women walk into the dining room with a tank top , flip flops, and a sort of sarong dress. Tacky!!
Also some very shabby clothes that should have gone into the rag bag. It's too bad that the hotel manager can't turn away these flea bag dressers. It's a disgrace.IMHO!!
Frosty 4

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-13-2007 10:17 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have seen a number of people politely turned away from dining rooms on a few lines because they were not appropraitely dressed.

What annoys me more is lines which do not adhere to the 'shut the door 15 minutes after dinner begins' policy and allow people to still enter whenever they feel like it. Up to an hour late at times. This is very rude, more so than not dressing to whatever is suggested for the evening.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-13-2007 10:35 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bigenna,

Here are previous threads on the subject.

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=0001 43

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=0000 30

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=0010 50

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=0003 29

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=0032 40

[ 02-13-2007: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-13-2007 11:22 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We make it a habit on arriving on time when the doors open in the dining room. We have had table guests that have come a 1/2 hour late almost every evening. Our waiter told us that he appreciated that we came early so he could get our orders and move through the courses. Our table was almost always the last one to leave.The waiter needed time to clean up and get the table ready for the second seating.
Trying to be polite we would wait till everyone was ready to get up,but on occasion we would excuse ourselves and leave.
Our next cruise on Princess we chose the personal choice open seating venue,that way we can either eat alone or with a table of choice-- 6-8
Frosty 4

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-13-2007 11:59 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m rarely late because I always pick the late sitting. However, I would find it almost impossible to be ready for the early sitting after a shore excursion.

On one ship I was given ‘early’ when I requested ‘late’ and a swap was not possible. I only made it the diner once (at least I was on time) and decided to stick to the buffet every other night and go later.

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 02-14-2007 12:02 AM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM: .......... What annoys me more is lines which do not adhere to the 'shut the door 15 minutes after dinner begins' policy and allow people to still enter whenever they feel like it. Pam

I'm with you on that Pam!
I can live with the less than formal attire thing (providing I'm not faced with an hairy chest!) but the clowns who appear, grinning and spouting some feeble excuse for being tardy really get to me ....late more than 15 mins. max - tough!........go eat somewhere else!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-01-2013 10:47 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 04-01-2013: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-24-2014 07:28 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just seen on the MSC Divina

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-25-2014 03:38 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see Dorothy and Sophia but have no clue who the other gal is. Frieda Claxton perhaps??
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.