- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ports of Call and Destinations   » Western caribbean cruise

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Western caribbean cruise
wrlfc
Just Boarded
Member # 3398

posted 10-17-2002 03:58 PM      Profile for wrlfc   Email wrlfc   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Two places we are visiting on our cruise are Cozumel and Progresso. What excursions or activities are to be recommended?
Posts: 8 | From: wigan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mike01772
First Class Passenger
Member # 3040

posted 10-23-2002 05:14 PM      Profile for mike01772   Email mike01772   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As nobody has answered any of your questions let me be the first.
I have only been to Cozumel but myself and the family loved it there.
Plenty of shops to visit, infact more than any other island that we came across on our caribbean cruise except for Barbados.
In the afternoon we caught a taxi from the pier and visited one of the many beaches no more than 10 minutes drive away.
We felt very safe there and are looking forward for our next visit next December.

Posts: 37 | From: PRESTON UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 10-23-2002 07:33 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Off Topic - but where or who is "wigan"?

Cozumel has great snorkelling if you are into that.
Never been to Progresso.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 10-23-2002 08:58 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico:
Off Topic - but where or who is "wigan"?

Wigan is a town in England.

I'm still trying to figure out where 'home' is. A relatively new poster (on this board I believe) says that's where (s)he is at!

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
RuthPerk
First Class Passenger
Member # 1609

posted 10-24-2002 08:35 AM      Profile for RuthPerk   Email RuthPerk   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you are into ruins, I recommend the Tulum excursion. It will probably, unfortunately, take up most of the time you are in port, but the view is spectacular! We have been to Tulum twice and enjoyed it both times. It can get rather warm there, so a hat is a must!
Posts: 329 | From: Victor, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
M.S.Grumple
First Class Passenger
Member # 1340

posted 10-24-2002 10:55 AM      Profile for M.S.Grumple     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Ruth Perk - the Tulum tour was the highlight for me of our visit to Cozumel.

Take plenty of film, the view is magnificent.

Posts: 280 | From: Burlington, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 11-03-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We shopped a while in Cozumel. The town is a really close cab ride from the ship. Unfortunately we got trapped in Carlos and Charlies and that pretty much took up all the rest of our time in port. It was a lot of fun though
Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 11-03-2002 04:16 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My parents are just off the MERCURY Western Caribbean cruise on Friday. They loved everything about the ship and ports except Progresso.

Progresso is one of three ports the Mexican government and several cruise lines are trying to develop as next the next cruise "hot spot". Calico and Costa Playa are a couple of others. All three of these ports are in the very early stages of development, and it shows. There is very little to do and see.

In Progresso, my parents said there was just a small town with nothing really to offer. Most people walked off the ship (there is an actual pier by the way), and in about 20 minutes walked right back to the ship. In town, there was a local market in the streets where my mom said there was about 30 dead chickens for sale, all hanging by their feet off the dirt roads.

That in itself is not so bad, but the bi-product is. Flies! Apparently there were hundreds of flies everywhere, to an extent my mom had never seen before. Back onboard MERCURY, there was a huge problem (this was only the second call there this season) as the flies were everywhere.... even in their cabin and bathroom. Everyone was asked to keep their balcony doors closed until departure, but I guess that did not help too much. The dining room doors were closed and something was done to suck out the flies (I'm not sure what).

Anyway, even pulling back into Miami a few days later, there were still flies onboard, although in greatly reduced numbers due to the efforts of Celebrity. I'm not sure what the solution will be for future visits, as again this was the MERCURY's second call of the season.

Ernie Roller
Atlanta

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
K&K
First Class Passenger
Member # 1040

posted 11-03-2002 08:24 PM      Profile for K&K   Email K&K   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wrific: Tulum is I agree well worth the trip and if you chose that excrusion you won't be dissipointed. However as stated you also will not see anything of Cozumel.
If you chose to see Cozumel you can gtake a taxi (ten minute ride) to Chankanaab park. There is a small entry fee but there is a small nature trail a wonderful beach with some great snorkeling right off of it. They rent equiptment right on the beach you could swim with the dolphins if you are early enough after which you would still have plenty of time to go into town and enjoy some shoping or carlos & charlies! Please let us know about Progresso and your trip when you return.
Kevin

Posts: 446 | From: Sandpoint,Idaho,USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Keylime
Just Boarded
Member # 3349

posted 12-11-2002 05:38 PM      Profile for Keylime        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are a lot of great things to do on the island of Cozumel other than "wasting away" at C&Cs or taking an unsafe ferry (ever count the life jackets on those ferries?) to Playa del Carmen and then a bus or expensive taxi south to see Tulum. Chankanaab is a nice park. You can rent a car (not a moped, unless you're either suicidal or stupid) and drive across to the windward side to visit some outstanding beaches (but don't swim - dangerous rips). You can snorkel or scuba dive most anywhere on the west side of the island. You can shop in San Miguel, and there are some nice shops in town that sell locally-manufactured items, and not just typical Mexican market junk. Several beach clubs south of San Miguel offer day passes. On the island, don't waste your money to see the San Gervasio ruins...they're not worth the price. There is also a very nice miniature golf course in San Miguel, run by an American couple...but don't get scared out of your wits when one of the concrete iguanas moves - they'e real! At that facility, they give you a small walkie-talkie so you can order beverages...and they deliver them to you so you can imbibe while putting. One of our favorite ports!
Posts: 9 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.