- Ernst's Site
   - Patsy's Site
   - Ben's Site
   - Carlos' Site
   - Chris' Site
   - SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Seabourn celebrated the keel laying for Seabourn Venture during a ceremony held today at the T. Mariotti shipyard in San Giorgio di Nogaro, Italy. With Seabourn Venture scheduled to debut in June 2021, today's ceremony marks a significant milestone in the construction of the line's first ultra-luxury purpose-built expedition ship. "This milestone is always an exciting moment, as it represents another step forward...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line returned to the Port of San Diego this weekend to launch a winter schedule of three- to 15-day voyages aboard Carnival Miracle, marking the line’s first departure from the port in seven years. The cruise schedule began yesterday with a seven-day sailing to the Mexican Riviera, and features a wide range of durations and destinations, including...

Latest News...Silversea Cruises announces a first in the ultra-luxury segment: a new fly-cruise service to Antarctica in business-class comfort, as part of the largest ever Antarctica offering in the cruise line's history. Named Antarctica Bridge, the new service will provide discerning travellers with the fastest, most direct route to the White Continent. Departing from December...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Young Cruisers Forum   » Dreams of working with ships... (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dreams of working with ships...
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-04-2007 01:41 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The designs I have posted are usually alterings of existing ships by using Photoshop.The ones I drawn are too big to easily scan in my computer.

When I first started drawing, my scales and designs were way off, but by reading here on CT and observing current ship design, I learned how to better porportionate my designs.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-04-2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I draw almost all of my designs on 8 by 12 inch paper. I would scan some of mine on to here but I can't figure out how to get the pictures off of my HP Image thing on to cruise talk. How do you do it? I am also kind of reluctant to do it. I don't know all the laws of ship design so I was thinking that I would post them and then everyone would start telling me all the things wrong with them.

[ 02-04-2007: Message edited by: Cunard Fan ]

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
captain_brandon129
First Class Passenger
Member # 4803

posted 02-04-2007 05:04 PM      Profile for captain_brandon129   Email captain_brandon129   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This summer from May 6th to July 8th, I will be a deck cadet onboard the Pride of Aloha sailing around Hawaii on 7 day cruises.
Posts: 31 | From: California Maritime Academy | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-04-2007 07:40 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your lucky! I want to go on a cruise so bad!
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-04-2007 10:45 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by captain_brandon129:
This summer from May 6th to July 8th, I will be a deck cadet onboard the Pride of Aloha sailing around Hawaii on 7 day cruises.

Congratulations.

I am looking forward to read your frequent, extensive reports and see the myriads of pictures you will take.

Thanks in advanve.

Posts: 9745 | From: Aix-en-Provence | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-06-2007 12:20 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Waynaro what kind of ships do you want to design? Cruise Ships or someother kind of ship. Do you want to design for a certain company?
captain_brandon129
First Class Passenger
Member # 4803

posted 02-06-2007 06:45 PM      Profile for captain_brandon129   Email captain_brandon129   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I will make sure to take lots of pictures and submitt a detailed report, but I first must do that for school, But it will be a agreat time.
Posts: 31 | From: California Maritime Academy | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-06-2007 07:13 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is this going to be your first cruise?
captain_brandon129
First Class Passenger
Member # 4803

posted 02-06-2007 11:15 PM      Profile for captain_brandon129   Email captain_brandon129   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I went on two cruises when I was in junior high. One with princess and one with carnival. And last year I went on my freshmen training cruise on my schools ship for 60 days to central and south america.
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-07-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by captain_brandon129:
Congradulations Brandon! Hopefully I will be able to be onboard a cruise ship for my commercial cruise next year.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-07-2007 12:15 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
Waynaro what kind of ships do you want to design? Cruise Ships or someother kind of ship. Do you want to design for a certain company?
I prefer to design cruise ships/passenger ships. I personally think there is more detailing than say cargo ships.

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-08-2007 12:06 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynaro:
I prefer to design cruise ships/passenger ships. I personally think there is more detailing than say cargo ships.

Me too. I love drawing up cruise ship designs. I would post them but I can't figure out how to. Does anyone know how?

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-08-2007 01:35 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
I want to learn how to do more profesional designs. Right now mine our just drawings of what I want my ships to look like. I also do a little bit of floor planing. Have you ever posted any of your designs?

[ 02-04-2007: Message edited by: Cunard Fan ]

Look into taking classes at Art Center College of Design-one of the best in the World and right in Pasadena.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-08-2007 12:05 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I love Art Center. One o my friends went there. I want to go there for design and some other art stuff.
Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-16-2007 10:51 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cunard Fan, we share a same dream. Designing cruise ships is what I wan't to do, I don't really care if I don't get paid at all, but this is what I like, I would also like to make some big decisions in a company like RCI, be somebody like Ed Stephan, he created this line, I like his ideas.

I've been surrounded by cruise ships since I was a little kid, every weekend I go see them, I live less than 2 miles away from Carnival's corporate offices and NCL's, they are so near yet so far to reach.

I am studying architecture, I am focusing more on ship design, every project I do has the theme of ships in them, my professor encourages me to do that. Everyday I come up with new ideas and designs, my classroom notebooks are filled with little sketches and ideas, I have more of them than classroom notes. Lately I have also been interested in designing refits for older ships.

If you wan't to design ships go for it, be persistent, I have gone to RCI's offices a couple times but I can't get passed the security officers, the design and designers office are CLASSIFIED and TOP SECRET as well as in Carnival. I have called and get no responses. But as soon as I turn 20, I'll go apply for a job over there (five months away).

I'll post some pictures up of some of my designs. Most are for RCI but I have done for many other lines, and I have also created imaginary lines since I was a little kid, Malibu Cruise Lines, MAERSK Cruise Lines (shipping company venturing into cruising), Virgin Lines, and the newest one W Ships (part of W hotels).

I still have a lot to learn about cruise ships and the industry, I learn a lot with Cruise Talk and by reading books and just imagination to design cruise ships.

I only have these two pictures now since I'm at work, I'll try to take pictures and scan some more soon.

This one is a sketch of how I think Genesis will look. I think I posted this one already.

This is a post-panamax ship for RCI I designed a couple years ago, I made plans, designs and then a model to see the form it took.

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 08-16-2007 03:28 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice model Carlos, and the drawing is decent too. As a young person fascinated with liners and cruise ships, I use to draw sketches of ships too. You seem quite talented with construction and design from looking at your model. Keep it up!
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-22-2007 01:02 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I have been out of town for the last 2 weeks.

That is a really cool model Carlos. I have tried several times to make models of my designs but I have never been successful at it. Mostly I just draw my ships.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to have teachers get mad at me over all my ship drawings on my work. I litterally have hundreds of pages of ship drawings and sketches.

Here is a link to some pictures of my sketches. Sorry they are sloppy sketches.

LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 08-22-2007 12:49 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cunard Fan, Those are really nice drawings! I use to draw ships and yachts too, but my drawings were not as good as yours.
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-22-2007 07:42 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you. I am glad you like them.
They are just really quick sketches

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-22-2007 10:23 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
[...]
They are just really quick sketches

But very nice ones.

Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-23-2007 08:57 AM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice sketches, that's really good pencil drawing. I like using paper and pencil better than the computer, you always have space for imagination were in the computer you have limits.

Models are really difficult to build, but with time you'll get the hang of it, try it. Right now I'm trying to build a second model of a much larger ship, but I just can't figure out the aft part. I build interlocking pieces and put them together, no glue needed. Here are some pictures of the process for a small 15inch model I never got to finish, if I don't like something, I leave it and start over, I like perfection.

The following one has one of the pieces taken off:

The next two pictures are of the new 35 inch model I'm building, these are the first steps:

And this is the troublemaker aft section:

Posts: 1325 | From: Miami, Florida (Cruise Capital of the World) | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-23-2007 01:01 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you all.

Thats cool Carlos. I have never tried to make one that way. I have always just tried with clay.

What are you using?

Carlos Fernandez
First Class Passenger
Member # 6432

posted 08-23-2007 09:09 PM      Profile for Carlos Fernandez   Author's Homepage   Email Carlos Fernandez   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thank you all.

Thats cool Carlos. I have never tried to make one that way. I have always just tried with clay.

What are you using?

Thanks.

The material I use is 1/16 inch thick mat board, It's easy to cut with an exacto blade and easy to draw on. I wanted to use basswood but they don't have pieces that big, plus it'll be way too expensive, 40"x30" the size of the mat boards.

I wanted to create a model that looked like the "maritime replicas" models but of my own designs, but they make the hulls and pieces with a computer and special molding machines. Then I got this idea of making a model with interlocking pieces, kind of like the basswood dinosaur models, so I started cutting and designing and that's what came out. I make an elevation, then the floor plans and then I cut them and put them together, I also make vertical pieces to hold them together.

This is an elevation with details of the large grey model in one of the pictures, it gives a hint of how the ship would look:

These are floor plans of a stern pool for the new model. One of my favorite parts is designing the pools, they can get very elavorate. I also use overlays to see how a deck looks above the other, I draw those in vellum paper:

One of my Carnival designs:

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-23-2007 09:29 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carlos Fernandez:
[...]
I wanted to create a model that looked like the "maritime replicas" models but of my own designs, but they make the hulls and pieces with a computer and special molding machines. [...]

You can do it without that too - it takes some time - and some skill (one can learn that) - but it is possible.

Some of the "maritime replicas" models are very nice - but some underwhelmed me. Too many details- maybe not well executed are not good - it is often better to e.g. omit the railing on a small model instead of ruining it with something that looks cheap.

Reducing it to the essence is finally what makes the art of model building.

If you are lazy (like me) and if it is not important for you that you built all of the model on your own (I do not care - I just want to have the model) you can have some parts made by professionals. There are companies that accept your CAD files and cut parts with laser plotters out of sheets (wood, metal etc. - (comes handy with passengers ships having many windows) - you can get three dimensional parts from rapid prototyping machines (send them either your digital model - or even an original) - and - last but not least I recommend to actually check the inventory of some model building companies. They HAVE the one or the other useful part in their inventory. (e.g. rafts, deckchairs etc.
)
This way a very high quality model is within reach also for a modestly talented person - so it should definitely be easy for you guys.

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 08-24-2007 01:11 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info guys!

I never thought of making models like that. I usually will just draw my ships.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2015 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.