- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » FUNCHAL 2015

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FUNCHAL 2015
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-12-2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
2015 CRUISE SEASON OF FUNCHAL CANCELLED - SHIPS & THE SEA BLOGUE dos NAVIOS e do MAR
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-13-2015 07:38 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It looks as if the new owners of the ' Funchal ' are having a run of bad luck with the ships they aquired .

Both the ex ' Princess Danae ' and the ' Arion' , which are now named ' Lisboa' and ' Porto ' are advertised for sale on one of the ship brokers sites which leaves him with only the 1948 built ' Azores ' still in service.

The ' Azores ' is reported as being on a five year charter to the UK company CMV Cruises.

I wonder if Portuscale Cruises are showing any interest in the laid up 1998 built 22,496 grt five star deluxe cruise ship ' Deutschland ' which would make a fine addition to their fleet once her classification is renewed.

She is advertised for sale at US $ 35 million, on one of the ship brokers websites, so not too costly to buy depending on the amount of work required for her re-classification.

She appears to have been out on trials off of Gibraltar over the past three days having been laid up off the port for over six weeks !

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-14-2015 11:56 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Portuscale's finances are too precarious to buy any new ships. If they do not find a charter and a stable market for what they have they will be out of business in a blink of an eye.

There's talk that they are basically forcing CMV to buy the Azores.

These ships are basically too small and too extensive to run and it is very difficult for them to compete with the larger operations.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-16-2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SS TRAVELLER

The ' Lisboa ' is already sold to breakers in Turkey, due to the large amount of steel to replace, and is expected to leave Lisbon in about ten days time !

The small ' Porto ' is also for sale according to my friends in Lisbon.

I do not know where you get your information from that they are short of money but Snr. Rui Alegre and his partners invested 20 million Euros to buy the four ships and have spent about the same amount again in updating both the ' Funchal and Azores '.

The cancelling of the ' Funchal ' cruises was due to a glut of ships on the UK market this year and seems to be a sensible move as they were to operate her themselves.

With the 1968 built Louis Cruises ship ' Louis Aura ' having been withdrawn from service, and most likely heading to Alang, I would not be surprised to now see the ' Funchal ' operating some French charter cruises in 2015.

In Europe there is a market for the smaller cruise ships as is shown by the number of companies that operate these ships for the passengers who do not want to go on a floating theme park with a hotel stuck on a powered pontoon !

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-16-2015 05:49 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The reports are that it is the banks the helped finance Portuscale that are calling the shots now. They hold the mortgages and seem to be forcing the situation.

The banks are the ones who forced the cancellation of the Funchal's program because the bookings were simply too low and it was going to be another money loser. Also it was the banks that were not willing to dig any deeper into their pockets to put up the money to finance any more reconstructions. If Lisboa has in fact gone for scrap that is going to be a costly mistake because they had sunk money into her refit and the same with Porto if she can not find a buyer.

The report is that the banks are also forcing the hand on the Azores pushing for her to be sold immediately because she is the only ship that is operating. If this is correct CMV could be caught in a real bind to either buy the ship or lose her.

As for Funchal unless she can find a niche firm willing to run a charter her days may be numbers as well. Considering it is the middle of February and nothing has been laid on they are likely to miss out on the summer season which could have been her savior. Officially she is laid up but unless they keep up on the maintenance it will become much harder for her to operate again.

Seems like it could be a sad end to a few of the remaining classic ships.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-17-2015 07:41 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SSTRAVELLER

You have still not said what source you got this information from as my contacts in Lisbon tell a completely different story !

It leads me to think you do not like these very popular smaller classic cruise ships sailing on the UK market and taking business away from the American big boys !

It has been said for years that the four Fred Olsen classic cruise ships have lost money but they are still well maintained and supported by other operations within the Fred Olsen group of companies as the company look on them as a family obligation operation after so many years in passenger ship operation going right back to having sailing ships ! .

I think your posts are just trying to put american passengers off sailing on these smaller classic cruise ships !

I am a Carnival group shareholder but delighted to see all these smaller classic cruise ships sailing on the UK market, many for adults only, as it keeps the big boys on their toes and might improve their falling standards such as previously cooked roast beef being heated up and served in slices in a beef stew as happened to friends of mine when they cruised on the P & O Ventura two years ago !

They are the Managers of a large UK country house style hotel and have said that although they have cruised with P & O several times a year since the 1970's they will never cruise with them again !

This year are now on the Portuscale Cruises owned 1948 built ' Azores ', on her 30 day Caribbean cruise with CMV Cruises.

They have already contacted me and said the quality of the food has been excellent, no warmed up sliced meat served as a beef stew, and they are going to cruise on her again later this year !

[ 02-17-2015: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-18-2015 10:54 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry you seem to have gone off on multiple tangents here totally unrelated to what I posted. I am very glad to hear your friends enjoyed the food on the Azores.

What the American firms are doing has nothing to do with a niche operation like Portuscale. As you point out the people who enjoy one of the ships run by Portuscale (or Fred. Olsen or any of the niche operations) would not enjy the big ships and find no attraction to sail on Ventura or her likes.

Portuscale's problems that I was discussing entirely have to do with the financial issues and the banks unwillingness to keep financing the operation.

You pointed out that the Lisboa and Porto were up for sale or sold possibly for scrap. Possibly the monies raised from these sales will off set the problems and make it possible for Portuscale to do other things. The reports are that the banks wanted them to raise money and were pushing for the sale of the Azores as a way to raise money. But maybe these other sales will be sufficient.

I pointed out that the banks had pulled the plug on the Funchal's programs for this summer unwilling to finance what appears to be a money losing season.

Other than a few shipbuffs in America I do not know anyone in the American general public that even knows the Funchal exists. The firm has no marketing in the USA to attract any American passengers so I think you are on an unrelated tangents.

As for Fred. Olsen I hope they do well and having worked aboard the Royal Viking ships I am very pleased to see them going strong while many of their contemporaries are starting to go to the scrap heap.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-19-2015 08:02 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SS TRAVELLER

As you have still not said where you get this information from about the banks is it you just assuming there is a problem ?

This sort of negative comment does not help a new cruising company !

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-19-2015 12:58 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have it from industry insiders who would not appreciate their names being posted on this board. Any more than your unnamed sources in Lisbon!

But if you looked in the media reports you will see it is all over the media!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=portuscale+cruises&tbm=nws

In particular you might want to read this one which talks about the "financial abyss" for Portuscale and Rui Alegre.

http://www.meretmarine.com/fr/node/99373

If you can only read Enlgish it basically says the following:

The situation is delicate for Portuscale Cruises, despite his will and the heavy investments in this venture, it will be necessary to see if Rui Alegre decides to sell the ships to avoid digging what became a financial abyss. Porto is in any case available on various websites for sale for a few months at a posted price of 8 million.

I only am reporting what I hear ... I wish Portuscale could and would succeed because those are fine older ships and if they fail the future of those ships in unknown. But I am not the one canceling cruises, changing itineraries, laying ships up, etc. etc. etc. etc. --- I am only repeating what I hear around the industry.

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-19-2015 01:01 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IHS Maritime, another respected source, is reporting in their latest news:

Portuguese classic cruise ship operator Portuscale Cruises appears to be grappling with new difficulties after announcing it has cancelled the 2015 cruise programme of its recently restored flagship, Funchal.

The reasons for the cancellation are not immediately clear. Portuscale Cruises told IHS Maritime only that the Funchal's ownership company, Pearl Cruises Transportes Maritimos, had been unable to "meet the necessary conditions in order to assure its cruise operation in 2015".

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-19-2015 01:08 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
By the way this is nothing new either. This from a year about on Travels with Anthony

Reports are currently rife at the influential Seatrade Miami conference that Portuscale Cruises is in trouble.

In case you do not know, Seatrade, is the premier industry conference with the main event taking place each March in Florida and with satellite conferences during the course of the year around the globe. ALL the industry leaders are there.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-19-2015 02:21 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is mere 'word on the street' re the banks pushing - who knows if it's true or gossip.

Neil, where did you here this about LOUIS AURA? She is chartered out from May to october - would Louis really sell her for scrap? She has plenty of years left in her.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-19-2015 03:56 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Pam -

The news about the ' Louis Aura ' came from a French news source which I published on my facebook ' Neil's Crusingchat ' site around the 23/25th December 2014.

It said her french charter would be her final one !

f you are not a member you are welcome to look in as I started this site having also been asked to be the UK Manager on the American ' Cruisingtalk ' website.

The news item also included reports about the other Louis Cruises ships which are chartered out to Thomson Cruises until 2017 !.

The report also suggested that Louis Cruises may need to order some new ships as there is little on the market that can be used after 2017.

SSTRAVELLER -

Spreading gossip, from other websites where you do not know the true source of their information, does nothing to help a new cruising company !

I would not give you the privilege of knowing where all my news sources are apart from saying that many are provided by people I worked with both at ports of call, ashore, and on board while I was at sea for over 34 years !

I also speak several languages !

Many of these people live around the world as can be seen on my facebook and own cruising news websites !

Galaxy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5160

posted 02-19-2015 04:46 PM      Profile for Galaxy   Author's Homepage   Email Galaxy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Its very sad to hear this about the Portuscale cruises ships,i hope we can get some good news about them.....its not so many classic ships left

About Louis Aura she is booked in Copenhagen june 16 2016 so maybe there is still hope for her ?

Posts: 591 | From: Norway | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 02-19-2015 05:11 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company.:
1998 built 22,496 grt five star deluxe cruise ship ' Deutschland ' which would make a fine addition to their fleet once her classification is renewed.

She is advertised for sale at US $ 35 million, on one of the ship brokers websites, so not too costly to buy depending on the amount of work required for her re-classification.

Neil,

for what it's worth, the "Deutschland" is currently in classification by Germanischer Lloyd as it has received a three-month extension. So, all that is currently needed is a regular extention of her classification as it is regularly required for any given ship, not a re-classification.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-20-2015 08:27 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Raoul

Many thanks for the update.

I expect she will still want a full survey done once she has a new owner.

Lets hope she soon finds a buyer and returns to service.

I still think she would be an ideal addition to the ' Portuscale Cruises ' fleet and give them a bigger income with her five star up market classification as her public rooms are beautiful.

I will be publishing some pictures of those public rooms over the weekend on my facebook site.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-22-2015 06:20 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting development since the ' Azores ' left the Azores port of Ponta Delgada about 18.15 hrs on the evening of the 21st February 2015.

The CMV Cruises brochure shows this Portuscale Cruises owned cruise ship, which is chartered by the UK company ' CMV Cruises ', as heading straight to the UK port of Avonmouth after calling at the Azores and due to arrive there at 08.00 hrs on th 25th February 2015 !

The ships AIS postion is now showing the ' Azores ' as due to call at Lisbon on the 23rd February 2015 at 23.30 hrs. !

This could be to pick up surplus stores from the ship's owners laid up cruise ship ' Funchal ', which had her 2015 cruising programme cancelled, or is there some other problem !

CMV Cruises are due to host a cruise ships visit event to the ' Azores ', while she is at Avonmouth on the 25th February 2015, which was to include Dinner and an overnight event for which they charge from £79.00p for a two berth inner cabin which includes breakfast the next morning.

They state these charges are not refundable !

The ' Azores ' is due to sail from Avonmouth on a Norwegian cruise on the afternoon of the 26th February 2015.

[ 02-22-2015: Message edited by: Neil - Ex P. & O. S. N. Company. ]

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-24-2015 08:56 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Azores reached Lisbon yesterday and at this moment is still there but her AIS data shows her due to sail and arrive Avonmouth by 8:00 on March 25th.
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-24-2015 05:15 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She is still at the dock in Lisbon and it is now night so she has been there for 24 hours with no sign of sailing.

The AIS was updated to say she is going to Portland due on the 27th meaning she would miss the Avonmouth event. The cruise due to start on the 26th is also listed as sold out with a wait list.

Jepp
First Class Passenger
Member # 5576

posted 02-25-2015 04:52 AM      Profile for Jepp   Email Jepp   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hepp!
She is now on her way to Portland UK (not US as Marintraffic shows) and has cancelled Avonmouth due to bad weather conditions according to http://mytakkes.blogspot.pt/
/Jepp

Posts: 158 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-26-2015 07:20 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, just a diversion due to the weather. There were several vessels sheltering in the bays along the SW coast of the UK too at the time. She left Lisbon around 23:00 UTC on 24th

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-27-2015 09:17 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes but st the same time Portuscale has announced that they will no longer be doing any direct sales for cruises. Instead they plan to focus on charter operations. They also confirmed that the ex. Danae has been sold although did not specifically say scrap.

There's also a rumor going about that CMV might take the Porto at least on a short term charter which would be nice because she would see employment.

No future word on the Funchal though.

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-27-2015 04:24 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard from a friend in Lisbon that she is off to Turkey !

It is already known that more steel replacement work was required on the ex ' Princess Danae ' than had been expected to meet all the latest regulations.

Seems some people know a lot about Portuscale Cruises but never say where they get the information from !

More on what I have to say can always be found on my Face book ' Neil's Cruisingchat ' site and often with pictures !

SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 02-28-2015 09:48 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about the news from a professional source:

http://www.ihsmaritime360.com/article/16853/portuscale-drops-out-of-classic-cruise-market

or do you not consider IHS a credible source?

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-28-2015 02:58 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SSTRAVELER

That report is well out of date as it has been known for about the last seven days that the ' Lisboa ' is heading to Turkey !

You need to update your news sources !

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.