- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » SAGA RUBY - VISTAFJORD (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: SAGA RUBY - VISTAFJORD
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-23-2013 06:28 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Built on the Tyne and launched in 1972 she has been sailing for Saga Cruises since 2005 as SAGA RUBY. Her time is nearly up with only a short 2 night cruise after the current one, before her Farewell Cruise departing Southampton on 7 December.

Speculation/rumour has been rife over the last year as to her future - scrap, hotel ship, further use in the German or Asian markets and more. She has had a few technical problems of late, winding down perhaps - some 'technical maintenance' in The Azores on 19th Nov led to her being a few hours late arriving at Southampton this morning, giving me an opportunity to take some photos in glorious sunshine as she berthed.

many more

I am sure many of you have photos from times past sailing her as VISTAFJORD, CARONIA or SAGA RUBY? I have never been aboard. Ernst has some video clips of her passing through the Cape Cod Canal, with a lot of links to her history, also this lovely overhead view from Petrofilm in Geirangerfjord as VISTAFJORD:-

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
JonC
First Class Passenger
Member # 28831

posted 11-23-2013 07:53 PM      Profile for JonC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing these great images, Pam. You have captured some of her best angles - I particularly like the first shot. The Cunard refits made her look a bit 'top heavy', but she retained her overall good looks. For me, she is the 'last beauty' and is right up there with Kungsholm (1966), Rotterdam (1959) and Oceanic in terms of exterior styling.

For those of us in Sydney, it was disappointing that her final world cruise was curtailed and we didn't have the chance to bid her farewell. Saga Rose was a given a traditional fireboat welcome on her final call, but she had had a much longer association with the port than Saga Ruby/Vistafjord.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for her, but I fear it will not be a bright one.

Posts: 36 | From: Seoul, South Korea | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 11-24-2013 08:26 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the beautiful pictures !
J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-24-2013 08:29 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pictures of her original interior are available at thecaptainslog.org.uk

[ 11-24-2013: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-24-2013 06:54 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Compare to 2007 on ShipParade. I can't seem to find a collection more recent than that - must be some somewhere.

Pam

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-24-2013 09:13 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Peter Knego posted interior and exterior pictures on the Maritime Matters site when Saga Ruby visited L.A. several years ago. Her interiors looked very tasteful and in line with far newer ships.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-24-2013 09:19 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Petrofilm in Geirangerfjord as VISTAFJORD:-

She was gorgeous as built and her aft lidos were perfection. She has been one of my favorites since I was a kid.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-24-2013 09:20 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Petrofilm in Geirangerfjord as VISTAFJORD:-

She was gorgeous as built and her aft lidos were perfection. She has been one of my favorites since I was a kid.

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 11-25-2013 08:08 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As built she was truly beautiful. Along with Kungsholm of '66, Rotterdam of 59, she was one of my all time favorites. I traveled on her several times with her original interiors, but having been on her once as Saga Ruby I must say she has never been more beautiful inside. As built she carried a max of 550 pax. What space! I am one of the few who liked her better than Sagafjord. I hope she finds a new home, but I fear it's doubtful.
Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-25-2013 09:51 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Opening credits and end titles of the first 'Traumschiff' TV series episode - this series is the German 'Love Boat' equivalent, Vistafjord was the first 'Traumschiff'.
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-25-2013 04:35 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting that Ernst. Great images of a classic beauty. Can we even call any newbuilds 'beauties' today?
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-26-2013 04:53 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was trying to find some photos of her grounding at Spitsbergen.. but can only find one set of such small images one can't really see much or anything at all. I am pretty sure there were some good ones on the net at one time.

Pam

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-26-2013 04:56 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
Can we even call any newbuilds 'beauties' today?

I am sure some newbuilds of today might be deemed beauties in a few years, but Was VISTAFJORD thought of as such when she began service. What was the general opinion of her back then?

Pam

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 11-26-2013 08:35 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When new, VISTAFJORD was considered an improvement on SAGAFJORD externally. She had over 100 single cabins, and rarely sailed with more than 500 pax. Internally she was considered less appealing than her running mate. It was SAGAFJORD's beautiful two-story dining room that made the difference. Many thought SAGAFJORD's cabins were larger. I couldn't see much of a difference. She was always considered a great beauty when new along with Kungsholm and Rotterdam V.
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 11-28-2013 10:59 AM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She is such a well balanced ship (better as built). It would be so sad to lose her because there is really nothing like her left in the business.
Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-01-2013 05:46 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The end of Saga Ruby's career is not only about a famous ship being retired. She is the last Norwegian America Line ship that exists - in a few weeks our only connection to that era will be some artefacts in museums.

visitBergen.com on Norwegian America Line exhibit at Bergen Maritime Museum

Bergens Sjøfartsmuseum

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 12-01-2013 03:54 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although we have not seen the Norwegian America Line funnel colors in some time, I will always remember them as one of the handsomest. The colors were most handsomely displayed on VISTAFJORD, and also a great funnel in its graceful shape.
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-01-2013 06:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's a nice photo of Vistafjord with Cunard Princess [sister of Ocean Countess now burning] in dock at Valletta on shipspotting

A rather long but nice clip of SAGA RUBY departing New York in 2009

Pam

[ 12-01-2013: Message edited by: PamM ]

thundergod
First Class Passenger
Member # 5619

posted 12-02-2013 04:34 AM      Profile for thundergod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there any comfirmed news that she will go to the scrapyard or is it any interest to make something out of her for future use? Is there any interest in NAL in Norway? Here in Sweden there is still quite a lot of interest in SAL with the salship.se, several books released just in recent years etc.
Posts: 138 | From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
tonyg
First Class Passenger
Member # 6484

posted 12-02-2013 12:11 PM      Profile for tonyg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PamM:
[QB]There's a nice photo of Vistafjord with Cunard Princess [sister of Ocean Countess now burning] in dock at Valletta on shipspotting

Thanks for the link to my photo. Glad you liked it. It was not easy to get a good view over the dry dock.

Tony

Posts: 11 | From: South Midlands. U.K. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 12-02-2013 02:40 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Another thing I forgot to mention is the wonderful sheer in the VISTAFJORD. It was and is most noticeable in what Saga Cruises calls the Britannia Lounge. NAL called it The Garden Lounge.
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-04-2013 03:23 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tonyg:
[....]
Thanks for the link to my photo. Glad you liked it. It was not easy to get a good view over the dry dock.

Tony

I appreciate your efforts - thanks for sharing that picture.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-08-2013 12:14 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A super photo Tony from somewhere not many get to Well she was back on 5 Dec, did a 2 night pre-farewell cruise to Honfleur and set sail on her Farewell yesterday. Originally due to depart at 16:00 she then had her departure time changed to 17:15 when it was dark and finally left just after 17:30. There were no fireworks scheduled or anything special as far as I know. I took a few pictures of her alongside during the day:-

more.

She's back in Southampton on 7th January - 2014 - then what?

Pam

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 12-13-2013 05:12 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She's had a tantrum and broke a generator resulting in poor A/C. Spent 2 days in Tenerife and now heading for Almeria, Spain with her Caribbean itinerary cancelled. Her farewell cruise will now be around the cooler waters of the Med.

More comment on the link about a hotel ship in Asia, but has anyone seen anything official from Saga?

Pam

ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 12-14-2013 07:09 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She is now scheduled to call at Gibraltar on 29 December. She will be back here in the second week of Jan after her Saga decommissioning, to go into drydock, pending her sale and new life as a hotel ship.

Tony

Posts: 948 | From: gibraltar | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.