- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » A new bill in favor of the Delta Queen is on its way!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new bill in favor of the Delta Queen is on its way!
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-16-2013 12:30 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Congressman Steve Chabot of Ohio has introduced a new bill to save the Delta Queen – that is, granting her a new exemption fom the Safety at Sea Act, bill no. H.R.1961.

www.save-the-delta-queen.org

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-16-2013 01:23 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hope it succeeds. Having the boat not operating is ridiculous considering she has modern fire sprinklers as well as other fire prevention features and has never had a serious fire for over 80-years of service.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-16-2013 03:39 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This will be a tough sell with Senator Rockefeller pushing for more stringent regulation of the greater cruise industry. Passing it would smack of hypocrisy.

And frankly, I have to wonder how many people truly will pay what will need to be a high price to sail on this boat. She has very little in terms of public rooms, the cabins are minuscule and all of her infrastructure components are antiquated.

I also wonder where they will be able to get enough crew who are experienced in operating an old, inefficient plant AND will put up with the truly cruddy working conditions.

Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-18-2013 02:08 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in Fort Lauderdale:
[...]

And frankly, I have to wonder how many people truly will pay what will need to be a high price to sail on this boat. She has very little in terms of public rooms, the cabins are minuscule and all of her infrastructure components are antiquated.

I also wonder where they will be able to get enough crew who are experienced in operating an old, inefficient plant AND will put up with the truly cruddy working conditions.

Tim

It might be true that many indeed prefer a well equipped, modern 'copy' to an original old boat with all it's 'disadvantages'. Delta Queen's former fleetmates were built for such an audience and her being a misfit in that fleet might actually be the underlying reason for some of her problems.

There are actually enough people who do not care about having a minibar or TV in their (state)room but who are still prepared to pay rather high prices for original, exotic experiences. Delta Queen should in principle be able to take advantage of this strong trend in the luxury segment of the hospitality industry.

However, while I am convinced that Delta Queen could in principle be brought up to standards to operate in that market segment I do think that there is another more serious problem: Marketing her to a new audience will utmost definitely shy away her former clientele. Of course, such a transition is overdue anyhow since I unfortunately doubt that her former following could support her - the problem might be that it's already too late or that it might take a too long time to achieve such a transition.

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-19-2013 11:17 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernst,

you are correct on all fronts that you stated. There are a lot of people who want an "exotic" or "authentic" experience but they usually want some level of comfort or luxury for the high-dollar price that is required to operate and provide these experiences.

The DQ can NOT be brought up to market standards as she is designated a National Historic Landmark and thus can not be significantly altered.

And the majority of "river enthusiasts" who love to reminisce about her probably do not have the discretionary income to support her. And many of the former DQ pax have either past on or are of such an age that they no longer travel.

And the new market, the current river cruisers of today, have much higher standards and would never pay the prices required for small cabins and antiquated facilities.

I personally and professionally think this is all pie in the sky. I also think the estimates of $7MM dollars to purchase and upgrade the boat are way off base.

Tim

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-19-2013 12:04 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess Delta Queen missed her chance to become something like Sea Cloud many years ago.

However, I do hope that she can be preserved in a dignified manner - and that means as operational boat. Ships - or in that case boats - that can not move anymore are per-se doomed, most 'static' ships I know are carcasses rottening away.

In my opinion, the ideal way to preserve a ship is how Cap San Diego is operated - mind you, she is still fully functional and undertakes short cruises under own power once in a while. If they can do that with such a large, ocean going ship one would think that something similar should be possible for Delta Queen.

[ 05-19-2013: Message edited by: Ernst ]

linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 05-20-2013 10:41 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what I understand, DQ is not doing very well as a hotel in TN....if people won't pay $100/nt to stay on board her now, I doubt they'll pay the outrageous per diems they would be asking should she become operational again.

I don't want to get political, but Steve Chabot should have more important things on his mind.

I agree that Cap San Diego is the perfect example of how to preserve and operate an older vessel. I would love to go on one of the shorts 'cruises' she makes during Hamburg's annual port celebration.

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 06-04-2013 03:00 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are now concurrent bills in both the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives. The Senate bill was introduced by Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio and Rob Portman, R-Ohio. As Tim pointed out there could be some opposition especially in the Senate. Nevertheless this is an important matter that unfortunately has to be handled in these legislative bodies.

The DELTA QUEEN is the only truly authentic sternwheel overnight steamboat which still exists in America. Her original triple galvanized hull was prefabricated in Scotland during the early 1920's and superstructure built of the finest woods in California. The DELTA QUEEN has the same national importance as the Statue of Liberty and Mt. Vernon both of which are designated National Historic Landmarks by the Department of the Interior. The unique cross compound steam machinery that the DELTA QUEEN carries is an engineering marvel.

No doubt to bring her out again will take millions of dollars, and I too wonder if $7 million will actually be enough. But I'm sure that Cornell Martin, the Ingrams, and other investors have done their homework. I believe there is a market for her. As in the past it will be a person whom is interested in a unique, American experience that does not need all of the conveniences of a modern hotel or ship but expects excellent food, service, and appropriate entertainment.

The tariffs will necessarily be high which is a given for an American flagged vessel. Actually the fares will probably be constrained by the competition from the AMERICAN QUEEN much more than from any other cruise line. The competition will be good and might force the AMERICAN QUEEN officials to come to grips with uneven dining room service.

With the increase in river cruising the DELTA QUEEN can easily fit into the offerings. No other overnight riverboat can truly offer the DELTA QUEEN's charm and sense of history . I hope she gets another exemption from SOLAS. She deserves it with her long safety record. Also I hope if she does return to service Cincinnati will once again be her home port, and her mellow three chime brass whistle will announce her arrival to many a large and small rivertown once again.

Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 06-24-2013 03:23 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The group of investors led by ex Delta Queen Steamboat Co. V.P. Cornel Martin have submitted a letter if intent to purchase the DELTA QUEEN to her the current owner, Zanterra Resorts, which also owns and operates Windstar Cruises. Martin's group DQSC, Inc. hopes to return the historic steamboat back to overnight cruise service. Martin expects to have a response from Zanterra to their proposal in several weeks.

[ 06-24-2013: Message edited by: Frank X. Prudent ]

Posts: 577 | From: Covington, Kentucky, U.S.A. | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 07-20-2013 01:51 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last Thursday, July 19 the House Sub-Committee on Transportation by voice vote approved HB1961 for the entire House of Representatives to consider. For what it is worth, Speaker of the House, John Boehner, R-Ohio, has pledged his support. The Senate version remains in committee, but it is expected to be reported out favorably also.
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 07-20-2013 03:29 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frank X. Prudent:
Last Thursday, July 19 the House Sub-Committee on Transportation by voice vote approved HB1961 for the entire House of Representatives to consider. For what it is worth, Speaker of the House, John Boehner, R-Ohio, has pledged his support. The Senate version remains in committee, but it is expected to be reported out favorably also.

What's very interesting is how the bill was written, it is only one page and provides no background info for any of the yahoos in congress to weigh the potential benefits against the potential pitfalls.

So of course Boehner will support it as it was only one page and therefore must be innocuous or inconsequential.

I can't wait to see the level of support across both houses, especially if any of the same yahoos that are grand-standing with Jay Rockefeller over passenger safety and consumer protection end up voting yes to pass it.

Tim

Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 08-10-2013 03:49 PM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Apparently Jay Rockefeller has no problems with the proposed legislation and supports it. This is his last term as he has decided not to run for reelection next November.

According to Congressional procedure the bill if passed by the House can then go directly to the floor of the Senate for an up or down vote. If this happens Rockefeller's committee will not even hear it.

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 08-11-2013 08:04 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frank X. Prudent:
Apparently Jay Rockefeller has no problems with the proposed legislation and supports it. This is his last term as he has decided not to run for reelection next November.

According to Congressional procedure the bill if passed by the House can then go directly to the floor of the Senate for an up or down vote. If this happens Rockefeller's committee will not even hear it.

It just shows what a pompous, hypocritical twit he really is.

Regardless, I wish the DQ group much luck, they will need it.

Tim

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-26-2013 10:22 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
House passes bill to let Delta Queen ply U.S. rivers again
Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 09-26-2013 12:38 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
House passes bill to let Delta Queen ply U.S. rivers again

Ernst,

it passed the house and it can pass the senate and then be signed into law. Doesn't do one lick of good if the capital can't be raised.

It will, conservatively, require an initial $10mm to re-start operations - purchase, refit, marketing, etc.

But the numbers don't add up. With 176 berths, if she were to run at a conservative 80% occupancy at a weighted average of $250 ppd, for 300 days per year - that's $10.5 mm in revenue. This will yield, if they are lucky, a net income of $210,000.

The above is if everything goes right and there is not a single hitch. Chances are more likely that it will bleed a multi-million dollar loss in the first year, which means they need an even bigger tranche of capital.

It will be tough to attract the funding with those kinds of numbers and the level of risk involved, which is high.

Even if Xanterra gave them the boat for free, the numbers still would not work.

Best,

Tim

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-26-2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim in Fort Lauderdale:
[...]it passed the house and it can pass the senate and then be signed into law. Doesn't do one lick of good if the capital can't be raised. [...]

I am fully aware of that (see my posting above). This is inherently one of the first steps of an attempt to bring her back to service. However, today is the day the bill has been passed and not the day the capital has not been raised and that's all I posted.

Frank X. Prudent
First Class Passenger
Member # 1723

posted 06-18-2014 12:02 AM      Profile for Frank X. Prudent   Email Frank X. Prudent   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was announced in the Chattanooga news media that the DELTA QUEEN has been purchased by a group of investors headed by Cornel Martin. He is the former Vice President of Corporate Affairs of American Classic Voyages, the former parent company of The Delta Queen Steamboat Co. The sale is contingent on the U.S. Senate passing legislation this session to allow the Str. DELTA QUEEN to operate overnight carrying more than forty nine passengers once again. It is expected that this legislation will be passed sometime this summer and sent to the president for his signature. It is unknown whether the offices for the boat will be in Cincinnati or St. Louis.

[ 06-18-2014: Message edited by: Frank X. Prudent ]

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.