- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » s.s. United States news. Has anyone heard this? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: s.s. United States news. Has anyone heard this?
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 07-01-2010 11:48 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just received a text from a friend in NJ that he's heard that someone by the name of Lenfest in Philly has come up with 5.8 million to buy the ship and plans to turn her into a waterfront attraction.

I just found a website for the Lenfest Foundation, which sounds like it could be it.

Anyone else hear this?

-Russ

[ 07-01-2010: Message edited by: linerguy ]

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 07-01-2010 01:14 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do an internet search. Stories in the newspapers today.

The Conservancy bought the ship from NCL with this donor giving money to cover a few years of the maintenance while the Conservancy hunts for someone to do a project to save the ship.

Big step forward because at least she is saved from the scrappers but now they need to find the money and the project to give her a long-term purpose.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 07-01-2010 01:28 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WSJ on Unted States

Philly.com on United States

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 07-01-2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great....now it can sit here and be an eyesore for ANOTHER fourteen years. I seriously doubt anything will come out of this. I'll believe it when I see it.
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 07-01-2010 02:13 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This quote from the WSJ article:

Passenger cabins are identifiable only by marks on the floor where walls used to be.

Just how gutted is this ship? What exactly is left in the lower decks where accomodations once were?

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 07-01-2010 02:26 PM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
This quote from the WSJ article:

Passenger cabins are identifiable only by marks on the floor where walls used to be.

Just how gutted is this ship? What exactly is left in the lower decks where accomodations once were?

Completely gutted

http://www.modern-ruins.com/ssunitedstates/

Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-01-2010 02:47 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am going to the festivity tonight

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-01-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

Nothing much. The stripped stair towers and elevator shafts are still there but little else on the cabin decks. The promenade deck public rooms still have their steel bulkheads in place. There was a video on YouTube of someone rollerblading on the enclosed promenade and in the bare public rooms. It's a fun quick tour of the ship.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-01-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I'm often accused of being negative, but this is the best news we have heard about the SS United States for years.

I'm a bit sceptical too about the chances of success of this plan, but hey it's a chance!

[ 09-13-2010: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-01-2010 10:59 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
just back, The ship has been bought by another party for 5.8mil and will be rebuilt as a retail, museum conference space static attraction.
There is funding to keep her docked where she is at 100g per day.

Scrapping? although the asbestos is gone, there are PCB's onboard. Just like the Indy it is illegal to export toxic waste from the US to another country for dismantling. Getting her out of Philly is hard since she barely clears the Walt Whitman Bridge at low tide. Pics to come.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 07-02-2010 12:08 AM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
SS United States news in the Daily Mirror Blog:

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2010/07/new-hopes-for-two-old-girls.html

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 07-02-2010 04:35 AM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think this is great news!
There are a lot of opinions about what should be done with her and all of them are valid. The only one I wouldn't want to see happen is to have her scrapped. That would be a loss. Not only to those of us who know the ship and her place in maritime history, but also to those who would never have the chance to what they see in books and pictures.
One of the comments I read and hear are that she is "gutted". This is indeed the case. Her public areas are nothing more than bare deck and bulkheads. Everything is stripped and she is a shell.
But, that does not render her useless as an attraction!
First of all, the United States was NOT known for her interior design. She was very sterile looking compared to other liners of her time. Her interiors were more famous for their lack of wood than their appearance. But, that's another discussion and not my point. My point is that she is famous because she is the fastest! What made her the fastest is still intack and there for the viewing.
Her public areas could be reworked as best as possible or needed.
Should there be need for a hotel she could be built with "real rooms" that the general public are used to staying in. A big problem with ships becoming static hotels is the size of the cabins.
It really doesn't matter what they use the cabin areas for to me. I would love to see the suites and some others re-done as well as a maritime museum dedicated to passenger ships, but if they have to fill the rest of it with a shopping mall and parking, so be it!
As long as she is cleaned up and painted in her red white and blue livery she will be a stunning sight to see for anyone.
As for her up keep there is no doubt that it will be costly. But will it really be as bad as the other liners in preservation? There is nothing in the interior except for her engines that need caring for. Her exterior faces nothing worse than rust. There are no teak decks or stairs to rot. No caulking to replace. No railings to sand and varnish.
All she really needs to keep up her appearance is a lot of paint!
I know I am being simplistic in my explanation and I understand that there is more to keeping a static ship profitable and feasable, but my point is that she has a lot going for her if we stop worrying about what is gone and start thinking about the other possiblities she may have.
I think she has a better chance at making it because of the state she is in now. No one has to worry about what was lost due to her preservation as happened to the QM. What's done is done.

The ship is afloat. She is beautiful and unique looking. A fresh coat of paint and I would be willing to bet that a lot of people who never noticed her sitting at her pier or those who thought she was an eye sore would have another opinion of her. I think there would be a spike in interest in her also.

Having grown up fortunate enough to see the QM all the time I can tell you that most people think of a liner as looking like her or the Titanic. Actually they can't tell them apart. They just see hull and smokestacks. But for someone who has never seen the SSUS they will probably stand up and take notice because she looks so different.

Seeing QM all these years and knowing that she is ACTUALLY still here is amazing to me every time I look at her. My love for liners started when I saw her arrive in Long Beach and I know others have been affected the same way. We need to make people aware of this part of maritime history so that others become interested.

I mean what good is an addiction if you can't get others hooked?

I wish the new owners nothing but good wishes and success. And if they have an extra brush I would be glad to help out with the painting!

Great weekend to all!
Michael

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-02-2010 08:26 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rex:
Great....now it can sit here and be an eyesore for ANOTHER fourteen years. I seriously doubt anything will come out of this. I'll believe it when I see it.

I disagree here. She is no more an eyesore than the Acropolis of Greece or the ancient ruins of Egypt. Her beauty, grace and power shine right through the weathered paint job. Consider her a modern ruin.

SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)
First Class Passenger
Member # 6702

posted 07-04-2010 06:30 AM      Profile for SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Email SalamisFiloxenia (Tom...)   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It won't work.
Posts: 338 | From: weston super mare | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 07-08-2010 03:25 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Commentary
Progress can build on the past
By Dan McSweeney

The tragic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico is one clear sign that we're due for a significant reassessment of national priorities and policies. But that doesn't mean we should completely discard the past. Some of our history is too important to be lost in our inevitable evolution.

Since 2004, I've been involved in what many of my friends and relatives would describe as a quixotic effort to preserve a largely forgotten 20th-century artifact. I have been part of a committed group working to keep America's national flagship, the legendary SS United States, from being destroyed by scrappers. We've given so much of our time and energy to the effort because we view this ocean liner as an important symbol of our country, and, frankly, America could use something to rally around right about now.

By turns inspiring and frustrating, this experience has shed light on how Americans deal with the past, both symbolically and practically. Today we're on the cusp of saving our ship, but it very easily could have turned out differently. Fortunately, at the eleventh hour, we received an unexpected grant from philanthropist H.F. "Gerry" Lenfest allowing us to purchase and maintain the vessel while we establish a public-private partnership to repurpose it.

We envision this 990-foot piece of American history living a patriotic and practical new life as a stationary attraction on a metropolitan waterfront. As such, it would create thousands of trade, preservation, and hospitality jobs, while attracting people from across the country and world to see America's only remaining transatlantic liner.

Fastest ever
"The Big U," as the ship was known, was christened by Mrs. Tom Connolly in Newport News, Va., in 1952, in a ceremony that was a major media event. During the 17 years of flawless service that followed, the ship transported four American presidents and countless other heads of state; celebrities; military, business, and diplomatic leaders; and ordinary Americans. The ship also brought thousands of immigrants to our shores.

The ship's greatness was such that on her maiden voyage, from New York to England, it effortlessly broke the standing speed record in both directions - a record it still holds and likely always will. The SS United States was also a secret weapon in the Cold War, able to transport an infantry division over 10,000 miles without refueling or replenishment. (During a recent walk-through, I noticed an interesting pair of 20th-century relics deep inside an engine room: a 1960s-vintage can of Maxwell House coffee next to a box of Russian matches.)

The forgotten years
Unfortunately, the ship went on to be largely forgotten. In 1969, as the jet age eclipsed the era of ocean liner crossings, the SS United States was decommissioned and laid up, after which it went through a series of owners and unsuccessful refurbishment schemes.

Saving the ship from destruction required us to engage in complex, multilateral negotiations with its current owner (Norwegian Cruise Line, a subsidiary of Genting Hong Kong Ltd.), those looking to purchase it for scrap, and federal officials, who are justifiably concerned about residual hazardous materials aboard the vessel. (The vast majority of the hazardous materials were removed in the Ukraine in 1994.)

I can't consider all the obstacles we've overcome without thinking that many Americans need to learn more about the importance of preservation. It shouldn't be this hard.

The past several years have been an excellent lesson in repurposing, recycling, and regulating, all of which are part of the continuing effort to redefine America. In the information age, we can assign new roles to the artifacts of our past. The SS United States offers an opportunity to do so.

The alternative is an unsustainable culture of disposability, currently symbolized by the oil spilling from a hole in the bottom of the sea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan McSweeney is a former Marine officer and the executive director of the SS United States Conservancy. He can be reached at djmcsweeney@gmail.com.

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 07-08-2010 03:45 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree w/the comment about a fresh coat of paint. For starters, people WOULD notice her if she were re-painted in her original USL livery. Repainting would be the least expensive part of any refurbishment.

Her interiors could be rebuilt in a really luxurious mid-century modern style and the passenger cabins could be hotel-sized rooms. She could be re-built much in the same manner as a historic building is rebuilt-retaining the original exterior architecture and re-creating a fanatstic new interior. If done properly she could be a popular attraction, hotel (a real luxury hotel) and convention center.

Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 07-08-2010 05:34 PM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To echo the above photo posted by Desirod, here's one from almost the same angle and where she's just been painted now:

Here!

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 07-13-2010 08:44 PM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank Heaven! This is without question the best news I've heard in years regarding the Big U. Time for me to send a few bucks to the Conservancy for their efforts in this. It's good to know she's no longer in the hands of people who want to turn her into razor blades.
Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 07-17-2010 09:07 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

I disagree here. She is no more an eyesore than the Acropolis of Greece or the ancient ruins of Egypt. Her beauty, grace and power shine right through the weathered paint job. Consider her a modern ruin.

Just what Philly needs....another modern-day ruin.

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lubber
First Class Passenger
Member # 13710

posted 07-19-2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Lubber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rex:

Just what Philly needs....another modern-day ruin.

The last time I was in Philly, I went out of my way to head down Columbus Blvd. to view the quai de l'oubli. Another couple had already pulled over to go to the fence and admire the ship, and one guy honked at me in a way to suggest he was another SSUS fan.

Maybe that was an odd, random convergence of SSUS fans, but I doubt people do that to the IKEA, Wawa or fried-out strip malls across the street.

Posts: 241 | From: Land | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 08-04-2010 12:46 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-04-2010 02:28 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What could be better than the fabulous ssUS, a '58 Cadillac (ok, a '57 Caddy would be a little better) and a '55 Cadillac limousine??
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-04-2010 02:33 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
What could be better than the fabulous ssUS, a '58 Cadillac (ok, a '57 Caddy would be a little better) and a '55 Cadillac limousine??

If the ship were NORMANDIE!

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-04-2010 02:51 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:

If the ship were NORMANDIE!

Ernie

Normandie a big yes! As for the cars, I prefer the cars of the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s.

[ 08-04-2010: Message edited by: lasuvidaboy ]

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-04-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

Normandie a big yes! As for the cars, I prefer the cars of the mid-1950s to the mid-1960s.

Agreed!

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.