- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Rotterdam first week numbers.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rotterdam first week numbers.
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 05-19-2010 06:26 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here are some numbers fore the first week of the TSS ROTTERDAM and they are quite impressive.

4.000 tour guests.

Lido restaurant 12.500 guests.
They ordered 7.500 coffee, 2500 thee, 4.500 glasses wine, 4.000 glasses of beer, 3.500 pieces of apple pie.

Club Room restaurant 700 guest.

Hotel department received that week alone 1500 reservations.

On shore Off shore party catering trail running since December 2009 welcomed more then 10.000 guest on board high point the meeting of the Lijn Foundation on Sunday January 30 2.884 guest.

Quite impressive, they are starting weekend evening party's and offer high tea and brunches on Saturday and Sunday. She's a hit.

Greetings Ben.

[ 05-19-2010: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 05-19-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's wonderful news, Ben. Thank you.
Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
NorwayViking
First Class Passenger
Member # 4733

posted 05-20-2010 03:15 PM      Profile for NorwayViking   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great, I hope to get time to go there later this year.

Any suggestions what kind of cabin I should book the get the
best ocean-liner feeling? Are some cabins more authentic then others?

Posts: 72 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 05-21-2010 01:43 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NorwayViking:
Great, I hope to get time to go there later this year.

Any suggestions what kind of cabin I should book the get the
best ocean-liner feeling? Are some cabins more authentic then others?

Look on there site Fore explanation of the cabins. "De Rotterdam"

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 05-21-2010 02:27 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From what I have read, the wonderful main public rooms such as the theatre, Ambassador Room, both dining rooms, smoking room, Queens lounge and the lovely Ritz Carlton etc. are off limits to hotel guests and cannot be seen even w/the tour. Is that true?
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 05-21-2010 05:37 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
From what I have read, the wonderful main public rooms such as the theatre, Ambassador Room, both dining rooms, smoking room, Queens lounge and the lovely Ritz Carlton etc. are off limits to hotel guests and cannot be seen even w/the tour. Is that true?

Yes this is right, but I have heared that some hotel guest walked around and not have be holded back by staff. They are still planning a new tour through the lounges and bars of the ship. This tour is planned only in the weekends.

Greetings Ben.

Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 05-21-2010 07:26 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

Indeed, all those spaces are out of limit for hotelguests. The greatest problems ar on Saturdaynights, when the Ocean Bar is overcrowded, while you can look into an empty Queens Lounge.
Speaking about the Ocean Bar. It starts te be weared out. The walls are damaged by the furniture and the carpet has started to look terrible.

As per information I received, it seems that the negotiations about giving access to the lounges for visitors (hotelguest or not) are very tough.
I am afraid it will take a long time before any access will be possible.

Meanwhile it has been reported that management of both the owner and the hotel are not giving any answers of feedback to complaints from many visitors.

Willem

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 05-21-2010 09:37 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the public rooms are off limits, I don't see the point of going.

Sounds like they are only allowing access to places where people spend money.

Personally I would have been pissed if, during my two stays on Queen Mary, I wasn't able to see a majority of her public rooms.

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 05-21-2010 02:06 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by linerguy:
If the public rooms are off limits, I don't see the point of going.

Sounds like they are only allowing access to places where people spend money.

-Russ

If they want people to spend money, they should open the lounges and staff the bars.

On Saturday nights, the Ocean Bar is overcrowded, so why don't they hire a musician and open the Queens Lounge, man the bar and you will have more people spending their money.

Willem

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-16-2010 03:22 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now that they are about to finish up their first month of operations, how are things looking as far as the numbers, open tour space of public rooms, and the wear and tear on her by visitors?
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
tg_lindo
First Class Passenger
Member # 806

posted 07-20-2010 07:48 PM      Profile for tg_lindo   Email tg_lindo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I had the distinct pleasure of touring "de Rotterdam" early last week. While in a perfect world the public rooms would have been on the tour, I was quite happy to just be on board (FINALLY) and seeing what IS on the tour. The audio tour is quite well done, I have to wonder if the Alcatraz tour here in San Francisco was in some way an inspiration.

Having Affligem beer on the Lido was also a special treat.

The thing I was not aware of (either because it has not been mentioned or I simply missed it), is the splendid film called Rotterdam Experience. It uses new and archival film to give an idea what a crossing was like c. 1959. The wardrobe, hair, and makeup is perfectly executed! In fact, I watched the film twice "from the rails." I laughed out loud at the 3-way shot of suitcases being unpacked... father, mother, and young son.

My guide for the engine room tour was also entertaining and knowledgeable, and while I am no "gear head" I really liked the time far below decks.

Back at the bar, I was examining my book purchases and struck up a conversation with 2 former crew members from the Dutch fleet. One was on the Rotterdam in the '70's for her world cruises. It was an awesome conversation!

As I was staying in Amsterdam that night and had plans, it was hard tearing myself from the ship. It was definitely a highlight of my holiday. I wish the enterprise all the best of luck, because the alternatives are all so unsavory.

Posts: 349 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.