- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » SS United States in danger of scrapping again (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: SS United States in danger of scrapping again
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-01-2010 10:50 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A "National Icon".

Well for that to be true the average man in the street would need to recognise as such. I bet if you asked "Joe Soap" to name the top 10 national icons he would be more likely to say Brittany Spears than the Big U. In fact I would bet that in any proper survey Big U would not be in the top 50.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-01-2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
A "National Icon".

Well for that to be true the average man in the street would need to recognise as such. I bet if you asked "Joe Soap" to name the top 10 national icons he would be more likely to say Brittany Spears than the Big U. In fact I would bet that in any proper survey Big U would not be in the top 50.

So true. And if even one tiny percentage of those surveyed even thought to name a ship, it would probably be "Oasis of the Seas" or something!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 04-01-2010 12:51 PM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Big U WAS a national icon in the 50's...America was proud of their ship the SS United States, especially after she took away the Blue Ribbon away from Queen Mary. Once a National icon always a national icon.....she may only be in the history books now, but she was still once a piece of American history that made the news on a regular basis. That said....I will concede that TODAY people have no memory of the ship or could care less about an old ship, but like the Liberty Bell, the Empire State Building, the Golden gate Bridge, the original model Enterprise from Star Trek, the original Batmobile from batman the TV series, the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car used in the movie...these are all a part of our past. Look at the Enterprise space ship from Star Trek is hanging in the Smithsonian in Washington. An SR71 Black Bird aircraft is in the Smithsonian.....The Big U should be in the Smithsonian, but she's too big to fit in the building. Maybe the Big U could be used to create a floating Smithsonian museum that travels the world?? I just thought of that idea....
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 04-02-2010 01:54 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And the point is almost every item you mention is still very much in todays public's view, either of course as a permanent building or on TV etc etc. The Big U is simply not there and even if a way was found to make her visable there is nothing to see - the public will never see her pass at speed, never see or imagine themselves drinking at a bar, eating in the restaurant etc etc - all they will see is a huge lump of rust that a few shipnuts want to spend billions on at a time there is record unemployment etc. A lost cause.........
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 04-02-2010 02:09 AM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I understand that saving every old ocean liner is not logical, I think with this particular ship she should be saved. The SSUS is, in my opinion, on a higher level then other ships for her history and the fact that she is still our nations flag ship (unless you actually want to consider the PoA our flagship ). We spend billions of dollars every year preseving our historic artifacts even though with a lot of it no one knows about it or even cares about it. More people care about the Big U then a lot of the stuff we spend millions of dollars preserving every year.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-02-2010 06:47 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
p of rust that a few shipnuts want to spend billions on at a time there is record unemployment etc. A lost cause.........

Mike, It is a billion dollars for any of the European shipyards to make her a cruiseship again along the lines of Onno's and my rehab ideas.

As a stationary attraction, only a few of the upper decks need to be fitted out. The BigU is not just another old liner. The Sea Breeze or the old Statendam? They were not all that interesting or ground breaking ships.

If the ship were to be refitted in the USA, wether Philadelphia of Norfolk Virginia, Brooklyn Navy Yard it would create jobs that are sorely needed in the region. If it ends up in New York as an attraction accross from the Javitz Center or Philly's Penns Landing, again a job making enterprise. Most museums do not make money, however their cultural benefit is necessary and rely on government and private donations.

I do not see the BigU as being any different, nor the USS Olympia, USS New Jersey and Intrepid; all pre WWII ships that are restored. USS New Jersey offers catering and been to a few events on her.

On the SSUS as a static attraction? I could see a museum of passenger sea travel on-board, as well as restaurants and a theatre. All of the major cruiselines could be donors to the day to day operation, and would be a pittance or a giant like Carnival Corp. What do they get? possible new customers.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
timb
First Class Passenger
Member # 5901

posted 04-02-2010 09:57 AM      Profile for timb     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:

I do not see the BigU as being any different, nor the USS Olympia, USS New Jersey and Intrepid; all pre WWII ships that are restored. USS New Jersey offers catering and been to a few events on her.

Intersting choice of ships as I am sure you are aware the Olympia folks are trying to give her back to the navy because they can't aford the repairs to keep her shinny side up. She is a much smaller ship of greater historic significance as well IMO

Posts: 437 | From: S FL | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-27-2010 01:48 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timb:
Intersting choice of ships as I am sure you are aware the Olympia folks are trying to give her back to the navy because they can't aford the repairs to keep her shinny side up. She is a much smaller ship of greater historic significance as well IMO

Seems like her days are numbered as well. It's a shame a seaport museum like NY or Baltimore couldn't step in to save her and add OLYMPIA to their roster of ships.

CS Monitor

Phillycom

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 06-27-2010 04:13 AM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's face it , the USA are very good at talk but they never do something, same in my country, we tried to save an old RMT ship and it didn't happen, Sweden is the same with Kungsholm, England with QE2, ...

The only succes so far is the SS Rotterdam but it's too early to tell if it will be sufficient in the long run.

Jochen

Posts: 947 | From: Belgium | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-27-2010 04:27 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunardcoll:
Let's face it , the USA are very good at talk but they never do something... Jochen

The US probably has more notable ships saved as museums and attractions than any other country in the world.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museum_ships?wasRedirected=true

Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 06-27-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You could be right but I think you have to be carefull with such a list , for instance there are at least 2 tugboats on that list and I know at least 3 other tugboats older and also preserved, also I 'm missing some ships on that list and I know a lot more historic boats or ships preserved in Belgium and the Netherlands alone. But for preservation let's just focus on big battleships and liners, they are expensive to preserve and simply to much costs for a single museum. for instance Antwerp Maritime museum has a nice collection of about 30 ships but the largest are the "Schelde" wich is a former Navy Patrolboat and the Lightship Westhinder 3, also in Bruges there is a former Dutch lightship of around 105 years old still floating and in very good condition.
Ferries and Liners and even Battleships are a different story, I know the Dutch Buffel in Rotterdam, the Foxtrot class submarine in Zeebrugge, the Warrior in Portsmouth and off course a lot more in the US and other places but then again , those countries are much larger then Belgium.

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-28-2010 01:12 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since wikipedia is an interactive resource feel free to add ships to that list that may have been neglected.

It would be great if another seaport museum could pick up the OLYMPIA, maybe Baltimore, NY, or SF. Scrapping or sinking her would be a real shame being that she is the world's oldest steel warship still afloat as well as her significant historical background.

This interesting quote from the CS Monitor:

“But I suspect that finding the money isn’t the ultimate problem, even in these days of shrunken wallets.

The ultimate problem is that we can’t find the shame.

So if, this fall, the Olympia takes her final voyage down the Delaware, I hope she takes with her all the memories of Dewey and Gridley that are left (and there probably aren’t too many, courtesy of the inept priorities of our school systems), all the memories of The Unknown Soldier and the War he died in, and all the memories of the Stars and Stripes, flung out to a stiff Pacific breeze in the days when the nation felt young and self-confidence pumped through every vein. 

On the day she takes her final voyage down the Delaware, I wouldn’t want those memories hanging around to remind us of what the Olympia did for us, and what we didn’t do for her.”

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 06-28-2010 05:11 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That Wikipedia list focused only on Navy ships. I don't think that list do right on the other historic ships preserved. So it gives an very inadequate look at preserved ships.

quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
While I understand that saving every old ocean liner is not logical, I think with this particular ship she should be saved. The SSUS is, in my opinion, on a higher level then other ships for her history and the fact that she is still our nations flag ship (unless you actually want to consider the PoA our flagship ). We spend billions of dollars every year preseving our historic artifacts even though with a lot of it no one knows about it or even cares about it. More people care about the Big U then a lot of the stuff we spend millions of dollars preserving every year.

I not agree with you, what historic facts beside she was the fastest. And the biggest build in the USA. I believe here smaller fleet mate America have more history then the somehow bland United States. I cannot believe that here history was that special. Interesting passengers where quite disappointed after sailing with here. To metallic and to spartan compared with the other flagships build in the 10 year period 1953/1963. Passengers quickly returned to the other liners such as America. Then added the problems USL faced with there crew lot of strikes in the 1960's, the competition of the Jet. All facts that US was pulled out of service. And what happened after that was not historic at all.

Smaller less obvious ships have more history of a higher level then the US, and they all gone to the scrap yard. If the US was such a high level historic land mark why not have someone start a saved the US campaign years ago?

At the end I get the feeling she was a not so clever investment by the USL and the US Governemnt.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-28-2010 05:46 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maasdam:
That Wikipedia list focused only on Navy ships. I don't think that list do right on the other historic ships preserved. So it gives an very inadequate look at preserved ships.

Greetings Ben.

Although the list is heavy on military ships, there are a magnitude of sailing vessels of wide varieties, quite a few ocean liners, passenger vessels, paddle steamers, yachts, and lighthouse ships, as well as cargo vessels including the NS Savannah and Cap San Diego.

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 06-28-2010 10:09 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a thought. Seeing it would cost a Billion to restore the ship,just scrap her and melt down the steel and use it to build a new ship. Either a replica or a brand new ship design with the same name.
DUH!!!
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lubber
First Class Passenger
Member # 13710

posted 06-28-2010 10:45 AM      Profile for Lubber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to give everyone a quick reality check, no museum is willing to take the NS Savannah right now. MARAD is begging someone, anyone, to take her.

Why is this significant? Since her recent dry dock, she's practically in turn-key condition compared to the SSUS. She's also got that mid-century sexiness the France/Norway had but the SSUS doesn't. Most of all, her nuclear engine (which was designed for public display) is a much stronger hook for the general public than simply being a fast boat you can't see go fast.

You'd think the Savannah would be a stunner-- but if she's in layup, you have to be realistic as to how well this bodes for the SSUS.

I'm still entirely convinced that a diving wreck is the only sensible option.

Posts: 241 | From: Land | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-28-2010 12:17 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't worry guys, Epic is a one off, NCL's next project might ber to return her back to service as they promised.
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-28-2010 12:41 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:
Don't worry guys, Epic is a one off, NCL's next project might ber to return her back to service as they promised.

There is talk of a second NCL America ship!

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 06-28-2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is ONE possibility to make all of these ships into money making static display icons but it's a huge undertaking to start with , I 'm actually starting the basis here in Belgium of a company that could turn out to become a world icon in the travel industry but as long as no serious contract has been signed I 'll keep the details for myself.

Jochen

Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 06-28-2010 01:58 PM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I 'm looking closer on that list I 'm missing the complete Collection of Belgian Lightships, the Antwerp Collection, the Rotterdam Maritime Museum Collection and lots of other lightships (there are only 10 on the list) , there is a lifeboat on the list of an era of wich I have seen about 20 still preserved in Europe alone, and Kungsholm is listed as well, however she is far fron being preserved , she 's more likely to end up at a scrapyard very soon.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 06-28-2010 02:37 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunardcoll:
As I 'm looking closer on that list I 'm missing the complete Collection of Belgian Lightships, the Antwerp Collection, the Rotterdam Maritime Museum Collection and lots of other lightships (there are only 10 on the list) , there is a lifeboat on the list of an era of wich I have seen about 20 still preserved in Europe alone, and Kungsholm is listed as well, however she is far fron being preserved , she 's more likely to end up at a scrapyard very soon.

Since Wikipedia is interactive and can be edited, I removed KUNGSHOLM per your statement of her status.

Sounds like you may have your homework cut out for you updating that list for the discrepancies that need to be added! I am sure it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 06-28-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That would be one hell of a job to do alone, I 'll try to add as much as possible when I can find the time
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 10-04-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

[ 10-04-2010: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 11-10-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do know for a fact that BIG U was visited by the Coast Guard last week; I work for DHS and found this out from a Coast Guard officer. But he couldn't give any more details, other than they checked her condition.
Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Lubber
First Class Passenger
Member # 13710

posted 11-16-2010 01:12 PM      Profile for Lubber     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rex:
I do know for a fact that BIG U was visited by the Coast Guard last week; I work for DHS and found this out from a Coast Guard officer. But he couldn't give any more details, other than they checked her condition.

It may entirely be possible that an unrelated third party (i.e. someone other then NCL, a ship broker, the Conservancy, Mr. Lenfest, et. al.) filed an environmental complaint.

US ghost fleet ships, when declared obsolete and downgraded to non-retention status, are left to rust away until scrapped. MARAD maintains them just enough to prevent sinking. The most notorious recent example is the Mormac Wave. Her engine room was flooded with Bunker C from rusted tanks, and eventually her hull rusted through and leaked oil downstream into the James River Estuary.

It's safe to guess this is probably the reason the Coast Guard visited the SSUS, even moreso since it's privately owned.

Posts: 241 | From: Land | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.