- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » SAGA ROSE

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SAGA ROSE
Midshipcentury
First Class Passenger
Member # 12190

posted 10-14-2009 01:26 AM      Profile for Midshipcentury     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unconfirmed reports are that she will go to West Africa. Just back from an eight night cruise on this lovely old liner. Posted the first part of the blog here:

http://maritimematters.blogspot.com/2009/10/penning-ultimate-rose-blog-hail-and.html

Prior BLACK PRINCE Sea Treks now complete.

Two great ships in a row, both of which will be sorely missed.

All the best,

Peter

Posts: 303 | From: USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 10-14-2009 02:02 AM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Peter. That brings back many recent memories of our trip around Ireland. She is a lovely old ship & I am glad to have sailed on her. I can't imagine that West Africa would be a great destination for her. I wonder what she will be doing there.

Graham.

Posts: 266 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-14-2009 06:29 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Without knowing anything yet, my guess is that in West Africa she would be used as an accomodations ship, which could spell a horrible end to her, rotting away in the Equatorial heat. It would almost be preferable to have her quickly scrapped or accidentally sunk, but I guess we'll have to see what happens. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-14-2009 01:50 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that scrapping would be far better than having her trashed in some African port as an accomodation ship.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Midshipcentury
First Class Passenger
Member # 12190

posted 10-14-2009 02:09 PM      Profile for Midshipcentury     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Honestly, it makes no sense to me. I just reported some confidential bits of information that came along from people whom I would deem reliable sources. Perhaps it will all be proven wrong.

Who on earth would want to go to West Africa to stay in the former SAGAFJORD? If she were to be accommodation, I can only imagine it would be for military or government workers, so there would be no attempt at preservation or even more than minimal maintenance. That is not exactly a tourist destination these days.

So, we sit back and wait for more details, I guess...

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 10-14-2009 02:15 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midshipcentury:
[...]

Who on earth would want to go to West Africa to stay in the former SAGAFJORD? [...]

As you pointed out, who says that every 'static ship' has to be a 'tourist attraction' for people from allover the world?

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-14-2009 02:47 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midshipcentury:
If she were to be accommodation, I can only imagine it would be for military or government workers, so there would be no attempt at preservation or even more than minimal maintenance.

You are right, "accommodation ship" does not mean "hotel ship." The vessel would quickly become run-down, almost disintegrated, as has happened with other vessels used this way in the past.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-14-2009 04:01 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Remember Litva - Green Coast in Luanda. Although she never got to be the planned hotel as money ran out, perhaps something else is afoot.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Midshipcentury
First Class Passenger
Member # 12190

posted 10-15-2009 11:02 PM      Profile for Midshipcentury     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please let us never see the day when SAGAFJORD is lying on her side like the ex LITVA or RASA SAYANG!

Anyway, just posted the second part of the blog:

http://maritimematters.blogspot.com/2009/10/penning-ultimate-rose-blog-hail-and.html

Peter, catching up...

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-15-2009 11:41 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the excellent blog. Saga Rose looks pristine (or close to it) in your images. She certainly does'nt look like a ship about to be pulled from service. She's like a grand old film actress that looks her best right towards the end (how gay does that sound ) hehe.
bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 10-16-2009 12:54 AM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you again Peter for posting your blog here. She is indeed a wonderful old vessel. I have to say though, that we were aware of quite a bit of engine noise & vibration on both sisters (more so than the Black Watch). We even had to request a change of cabin on the Ruby because of the degree of noise & vibration, which made me think of an old steam ship. Our new cabin was much better although you could hear the wood panelling creaking in the night, just like they used to say about the old Queen Mary & Queen Elizabeth. These smaller ships also move about a lot more than the bigger ones. I suppose that this is the authentic old ship experience! However we loved both ships.

One question about your blog please. Where is the 'Garden Lounge'? I do not recall any room called this. Was it the small room off the entrance to the dining room?

Thanks,

Graham.

Midshipcentury
First Class Passenger
Member # 12190

posted 10-16-2009 12:59 AM      Profile for Midshipcentury     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My apologies, Graham. The Garden Lounge is the space that later became the Britannia Lounge. I can't seem to be able to call it that, despite my best efforts.

All the best and thanks,

Peter

bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 10-17-2009 01:29 AM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Britannia Lounge is a lovely room on both ships. Those pillars are amazing. We liked to take afternoon tea in there as an alternative to the Ballroom.

The only time that I saw the forward observation area, in front of the Britannia Lounge, open for use, was as we came into New York on the Ruby. We came in later than we had done last year on the QE2, so the views were better. Liner Row had so many cruise ships that it looked like Liner Row! Concorde looked a little strange sitting there though! So many people were on the promenade deck that they opened that other area for use.

Graham.

Midshipcentury
First Class Passenger
Member # 12190

posted 10-17-2009 12:46 PM      Profile for Midshipcentury     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
During my visits to both SAGA and VISTA during their Cunard days, that area was always open. On the ROSE, anyway, the wood decking has been removed.

Now the deal with West Africa looks like it is off. I'm sensing a bit of MAXIM GORKIY in the air. Last minute sale falls through, et al...

Peter

bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 10-18-2009 12:19 AM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fingers crossed for her future!

Peter, did you buy a set of the 'Card Collection' on board the Rose? This is a set of small prints of the Stephen Card paintings on board the Saga Rose. I thought that it was the only souvenir worth buying. They were for sale in the North Cape bar. A nice reminder of the ship.

I had hoped to get a similar collection from the Ruby, but it was the same collection for sale in the shop on the Ruby.

Graham.

Midshipcentury
First Class Passenger
Member # 12190

posted 10-18-2009 08:06 PM      Profile for Midshipcentury     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I forgot to get the cards but hope I will be back on the RUBY at some point to follow through.

Just posted the third installment, featuring shots from the bridge, engine room and fo'c'sle head.

All the best,

Peter

seabourndt
First Class Passenger
Member # 2154

posted 10-19-2009 10:33 PM      Profile for seabourndt   Email seabourndt   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi peter thanks for the blog the engine room was a surprise!! hope there is good newsabout the saga rose what ever bacame of the idea of soton? i too saw stephen cards pictures. i thought it was better taking pictures of the paintings though. he is on the last cruise of the ship. hoping to meet up with him at some point. his paintings are going on the other ships i understand
dave

Posts: 224 | From: london | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
bcscot
First Class Passenger
Member # 22351

posted 10-20-2009 09:24 PM      Profile for bcscot        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Peter. I enjoyed parts 3 & 4. A nice reminder of a lovely old ship. I wish her a rosey future (sorry about that one ).

Graham.

Conte Di Savoia
First Class Passenger
Member # 1802

posted 10-12-2011 10:04 PM      Profile for Conte Di Savoia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Over the last year or so I've been trying to find a picture of Saga Rose/Sagafjord at some stage of demolition at Changjiang Scrap Yard near Shanghai. Finally tonight I found one at a Web site for the Chinese company which manufactures floating cranes. This photo must be from early in 2010. It is a sad but nevertheless, captivating picture of her. By now she must be razor blades and paper clips.

Posts: 64 | From: Bay Shore, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 10-13-2011 12:57 AM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is sad when a lovely old ship is scrapped as there are no beautiful ships to replace them today. As for Saga Rose, I recall reading that nearly all of her interiors were re-used ashore in China so in some way, Saga Rose is still in use.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 10-14-2011 04:27 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice find! Wish there were more pictures. I loved the ones from Peters website of the SS Norway slowly disappearing. Fascinating to watch these ships that at one time had a heartbeat and were so alive, becoming sad, lifeless, hulks of steel.
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 10-15-2011 12:55 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great shot! Thanks for sharing it with us.
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 10-24-2011 08:14 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RIP my lovely!
Lets hope someone will save Saga Ruby as her time will run out very soon.

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.