- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » The Queen Elizabeth 2 scrapped?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Queen Elizabeth 2 scrapped?
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-24-2009 11:50 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Queen Elizabeth II Cruise Ship Is Being Dismantled In Dubai

Joe Weisenthal|Mar. 23, 2009, 3:10 PM|2
PrintTags: Economy, Dubai, Bailout, The Rich

Last November, the world's biggest cruise ship, the Queen Elizabeth II retired from active duty and found its way to Dubai. It arrived in a grand procession, and in classic Dubai style, the plan was to turn the gargantuan vessel into a floating hotel.

Fast forward to now and the dream is dead. According to our mole in Dubai, the QEII is being dismantled. There's no business for the hotel, and the idled ship is just sitting there, costing money and polluting the water. Hence, workers are actively pulling it apart, a sad end for such a grand ship.
Frome here.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-24-2009 12:04 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
"We're still looking for pictures of the dismantling"

Not much evidence of that last weekend.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-24-2009 07:20 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never knew she was the World's biggest cruise ship.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 03-24-2009 07:52 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't put much stock in what is said by some genius who can't get the name right or figure out that she is not the world's biggest cruise ship.
Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
GregSFBayArea
First Class Passenger
Member # 8420

posted 03-24-2009 11:59 PM      Profile for GregSFBayArea   Email GregSFBayArea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:
I wouldn't put much stock in what is said by some genius who can't get the name right or figure out that she is not the world's biggest cruise ship.

I totally agree. If really true they wanted to get rid of her , they would have offered it up for sale, But I do feel that they will end up not converting QE2 to a first class hotel.

Posts: 40 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 03-25-2009 03:28 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is dismantling the same as scrapping

I thought it was something different

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 03-25-2009 06:00 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willem:
Is dismantling the same as scrapping

I thought it was something different

scrap
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): scrapped; scrap·ping
Date: circa 1891
1 : to convert into scrap
2 : to abandon or get rid of as no longer of enough worth or effectiveness to retain <scrap outworn methods>

dis·man·tle
Pronunciation: \(ˌ dis-ˈman-təl\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): dis·man·tled; dis·man·tling \-ˈmant-liŋ, -ˈman-təl-\
Etymology: Middle French desmanteler, from des- dis- + mantel mantle
Date: 1579
1: to take to pieces ; also : to destroy the integrity or functioning of
2: to strip of dress or covering : divest
3: to strip of furniture and equipment

Also possible that work have started by stripping here to bare steel?
The item I put here is nothing more then a very bad piece of journalism. But it's a news item about the QE2, and I would not be surprised that there is any true rumor in it.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 03-25-2009 08:40 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This story is spreading across the internet, but that does not mean that it is accurate of course.
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 03-25-2009 10:08 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
More likely that they are removing items for storage ?
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 03-25-2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:

I agree. Even if the planned rebuild is to take place, the entire ship will pretty much be gutted out. Cabin furniture, partitions, bulkheads, etc. must be removed. Eventually even the funnel, lifeboats and deck fittings will come off the ship. To anyone, especially a layman, it would look as though the ship is being scrapped or dismantled.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 03-25-2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:

That's what I thought.

As for your information, the s.s. Rotterdam has been dismantled for the greater part when in Wilhelmshaven.
I.e. all furniture has been removed, and most of the spaced had been stripped to the bare steel.

But . . . allthough dismantled, she is not scrapped !

To me it is not a good idea to put a subjectline which is in contradiction of the message.

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-25-2009 11:46 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willem:

[...]

But . . . allthough dismantled, she is not scrapped !

To me it is not a good idea to put a subjectline which is in contradiction of the message.

I don't see the contradiction. There is a question mark and the cited article (whether it is credible or not is another story) is definitely insinuating that she is dismantled for good and not as part of her conversion to a hotel.

I personally would not give much on that article either. However, I would not base that on the embarrassing errors in the article (biggest cruise ship etc.) or that one can not see anyothing on recent photos (what do you want to see if people work inside the ship?) A journalist who heard a rumor does not have to be expert on passenger ships. (I know, it does not require to be an expert to get that right - but I guess you know what I mean)

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-25-2009 12:00 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is the article which is erroneous and does indicate she is being scrapped with references to dead dream, costing money, polluting water & being pulled apart with no business for a hotel. Her interiors would be dismantled, yes, for either becoming a hotel or if she was going to be scrapped.

Much of her interior has already been removed it seems and there is no evidence from photos of scrapping preparations. The article is totally misleading imho.

Pam

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-25-2009 01:42 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:

Much of her interior has already been removed it seems and there is no evidence from photos of scrapping preparations. The article is totally misleading imho.

Pam

I thought no work has been done at this point. I've read that her owners were considering opening her up for public viewing before the planned major rebuilding takes place. From the images I've seen of her at Dubai, there is little to no activity dockside.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-25-2009 03:49 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh nothing has been done for a while, I mean during the first few weeks when there was quite a bit of to'ing and fro'ing going on. Nothing with regard to work on her, but removal of 'loose' bits in preparation for a drydock which never came about.

Pam

Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 03-27-2009 10:21 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Daily Echo Article

[ 03-27-2009: Message edited by: joe at travelpage ]

feargus
First Class Passenger
Member # 3982

posted 03-28-2009 08:17 AM      Profile for feargus   Email feargus   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw QE2 two days ago in Port Rashid, didn't look like any dismantling was going on to me.
The owners are still in the process of the evaluation of her with respect the repairs / modifications they will make.
I will probably be passing by there again next week so will try to take a closer look.

Posts: 249 | From: Halifax,Canada / Abu Dhabi, UAE | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 03-29-2009 07:09 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On Maritime Matters is a picture of QE2 in Dubai, in response to the article, stating that she is not scrapped and theowners are evaluating what to do .

However, on this picture, it seems the word "CUNARD" painted beneath the bridge has disappeared. Is this indeed the case ? The picture was taken from afar.

I always thought that this was a typical fixture of QE2.

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-29-2009 12:37 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes they have painted over the "Cunard". There is a picture on Wikipedia were you can see that the logo is painted over. If you look really closly though you can still see it under the paint.

Heres the picture.

The article on Maritime Matters says they took the QE2 out for a bit to keep her engines in good shape. I didn't know that. They should have sold tickets.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-29-2009 05:53 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Seems silly to paint out the CUNARD sign on QE2. That was such a unique part of her when she was built. What next, painting out the Cunard Red on the funnel?? Even in the film 'The Poseidon Adventure', the ss 'Poseidon' retained QM's Cunard livery which today I am sure would force a lawsuit by Carnival.
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 03-29-2009 08:37 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe they will replace it with Nakheel. I really hope not though. I would barf.

They should have left the Logo.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 03-29-2009 09:23 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She still looked good - with QV yesterday - here.
Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GregSFBayArea
First Class Passenger
Member # 8420

posted 03-30-2009 12:28 AM      Profile for GregSFBayArea   Email GregSFBayArea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
Yes they have painted over the "Cunard". There is a picture on Wikipedia were you can see that the logo is painted over. If you look really closly though you can still see it under the paint.

Heres the picture.

The article on Maritime Matters says they took the QE2 out for a bit to keep her engines in good shape. I didn't know that. They should have sold tickets.

Is it just a rumor that QE2 got underway,,,, or did someone really see it underway... there not really any reason to take it out to maintain her systems, except the electric motors that turn the shafts,,, every thing else can be ran pierside. but since she was to be gutted out, makes me wonder if they plan on selling the ship, that can still be operated.

[ 03-30-2009: Message edited by: GregSFBayArea ]

[ 03-30-2009: Message edited by: GregSFBayArea ]

Posts: 40 | From: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 03-30-2009 07:53 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The AIS maps showing her track appeared to indicate that she had just moved along the quayside !
Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-30-2009 02:43 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Her port departure and arrival times indicate she was only away for 3 minutes - however her track shows another story. She's good at The Twist, a 'handbrake 360degree turn' at 25kts, sailed through the Al Maktoum Hospital and succeeded in obliterating most of the port infrastructure/cranes

I wonder what she really did.

Pam

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.