- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Another SS NORWAY Question

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another SS NORWAY Question
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 01-17-2009 09:55 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Almost everyone knows of the colorful cutaway brochure of the SS FRANCE, that's on Ebay right now: SS FRANCE CUTAWAY, was there one made like that for the NORWAY??
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Jack McCoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5709

posted 01-18-2009 11:08 PM      Profile for Jack McCoy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On my second (and last) cruise on the Norway in 1998 I went to the purser's information desk which was on Fifth Avenue (port promenade) just aft of the Windjammer bar. For some reason I had to go in the office behind the information desk. In that office on the wall was a framed cut-away of the Norway with the added decks. The perspective was from slightly above and slightly aft on the starboard side. I've never seen another copy and never been able to find out who produced it. I suspect it was produced about the time the decks were added. Anyone else ever see that cut-away? I'd like to find a copy, but one has never surfaced.
Posts: 38 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 01-18-2009 11:56 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Jack, I wish I had known that was in there. I would have taken a few photos of it. I'm sure it has to be out there somewhere.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Jack McCoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5709

posted 01-19-2009 04:03 PM      Profile for Jack McCoy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish I would have had my camera with me. I can't remember what the reason for my visit to the purser's info desk was but, whatever the reason, I didn't expect to need to take pictures. As I recall, I asked whoever I was dealing with about the cut-away and they had no idea where it came from, that it was unique, or where I could get a copy. Upon my return from that cruise, I called NCL and went through a number of layers of bureaucracy. I got to someone who worked in print advertisement. They actually sent me an ss Norway poster, which is great, but it is not a cut-away. The woman I spoke to had never seen a cut-away of the Norway and seemed fairly knowledgeable on the subject. Therefore, I believe the one I saw came from the shipyard or architect behind the added decks. I e-mailed Jan-Olav Storli, a former officer on the Norway who now hosts a web forum about the ship. I asked him about the cut-away also. He said he did not remember it, but he has extensive photos interior spaces. He was going to consult his photos and see if that cut-away appeared in any of his photos. Haven't heard back.
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 01-19-2009 08:57 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I posted that question on his website as well, if anyone will have the photos, I'm sure Jan will. He's a very nice fellow.
Glencoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1181

posted 01-21-2009 04:58 PM      Profile for Glencoe   Email Glencoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Way back in the day my brother was given a French magazine by his high school French Teacher, and the main article was about the then new SS France. As I recall there was a foldout section with a bow to stern cut away diagram of the ship.

It must be available somewhere, if you know someone in France maybe they could help. I would love to find it myself.

Posts: 41 | From: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 01-21-2009 05:12 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There were several magazines that featured extensive articles on the French liner when she was new. My grandfather had a few (that he saved for years) as he learned to speak fairly fluent French after he retired. The magazines were great practice. EBay at times will have a magazine w/a ss France article.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 01-21-2009 05:22 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Glencoe:
Way back in the day my brother was given a French magazine by his high school French Teacher, and the main article was about the then new SS France. As I recall there was a foldout section with a bow to stern cut away diagram of the ship.

It must be available somewhere, if you know someone in France maybe they could help. I would love to find it myself.

That famous fold-out cutaway of FRANCE is included in the book "FRANCE, Un Reve de Géant", by Claude Villers (1996.) A fantastic book, still available at Amazon.ca and Amazon.fr.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jack McCoy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5709

posted 01-23-2009 11:32 AM      Profile for Jack McCoy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have sort of a collection of cut-away liners and cruise ships going. I have the ss France and I'd really like to have the ss Norway in her final form. But commissioning a cut-away diagram costs between $80,000 and $120,000. I checked and was shocked it costs that much. I don't think I could sell enough copies on e-bay to cover that kind of investment.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.