- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Queen Mary 1 photo album online--review

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Queen Mary 1 photo album online--review
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-05-2008 11:03 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=3134

Notice the marquetry in the corner where perfectly fit wood triangles meet in the curve.

Partner and I spent 4 days there. This is my 3rd visit. She is basic as a hotel but makes up for it in her unquantifiable feel.

To see the ship from the outside she is quite majestic, although does not look as big as 10 years ago before ships twice her size became common.

Some say she is haunted. It does make sense since there are hot and cold areas of the ship that suddenly change. She can be eerily silent then makes strange noises and creaks. Some of the wood panels make evil faces. We toured some of the private areas and it felt like Herman Munster or Jack Dorrance would pop out.

The Art Deco is magnificant and can only imagine what she looked like in her original glory.
The public rooms of the ship have little connection to the sea with small windows or no windows. Much of the original artwork is still in place. When I first visited the ship in 1997 the public rooms felt huge.
After the Queen Mary 2 and Voyager class they tend to feel small.

It is wonderful to walk the boat deck promenade. If one looks along it from the end, the outer bulkhead is bowed out; not a straight line anywhere. All of the windows on the traditional promenade are parallelogram shape, each one unique to account for the ships shear.

The outer decks are magnificent despite no pool or tiki bar. There is good seating and is a nice place to have breakfast overlooking Long Beach Harbor. The aft decks and bow with well deck are great places to stroll.

The mechanical pieces on deck such as the ventilators, capstans, docking bridges are visual entertainment.

The aft engine room is open for tours. It is real easy to get lost down there. What is great of the constrast above decks and the great machinery that makes the ship move.

We had a former first class cabin B-419 with most of the original fittings. It is a spacious room clad in fine woods, latching closet doors, and air through Punkah louvers. The experience is quirky especially with the unusual slope of the bath
tub. The ship was not built to American or European architectural standards and the rooms, table heights, door sizes, passages are a scale of their own.

The fine woods, brass and linoleum give the ship a fine aroma. 20 or so different woods are used throughout the ship. There are no two wood panels alike anywhere. The ship is a little worn but one gets a sense of what she has been through.

Some armchair purists will complain she is not original enough and prefer her scrapped. There is enough left of the original to get the point and glad she is with us. Mary is the last of her kind and an example of a true liner for the upcoming generations to understand.

There is no other place in LA I would rather stay.

[ 06-26-2008: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 06-06-2008 04:19 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great pics David,

Love the warm “depth” of those exotic veneers

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeBarryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 5308

posted 06-06-2008 10:24 AM      Profile for LeBarryboat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's been a while since I've been to Queen Mary...I miss it. Living in Minnesota, I chose a college not far from Queen Mary, so I could jump in the car and be there anytime I wanted within about 30 minutes.....I just can't do that anymore and I miss it. Oh the fun and adventures I use to have on that ship! She's looking a bit tired from your photos. Elevator bay and the mall still look good. From your boat deck photo it looked like she was listing a bit, perhaps they were painting the side of the hull?
Posts: 1955 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 06-06-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
just added the review
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 06-06-2008 01:04 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She's a bit worn down but that ad to here warmed and charm. Shame fore the ones who need to ad some gravity
Let's hope ore tss Rotterdam would age just as gracefully as Queen Mary.

Thanks David.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 06-06-2008 01:15 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks David!
Shes still the most beautiful ship ever built, even with all the changes and damage she as incurred while in LB!
I can't even imagine what she looked like when she was new. imo.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-06-2008 01:58 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like tss Rotterdam V she did'nt have big interior alterations over her 31-years of commercial service and is more or less original in her 1st class sections. I have a re-print from 'The Shipbuilder' w/classic images taken by the great photographer Stewart Bale. It is interesting to compare those beautiful 1936 images w/how she looks today.

Other than missing furniture and an aged patina she looks very close to original in most 1st class passenger spaces. The gorgeous 1st class Ballroom was replace during her Cunard days so Long Beach is'nt all to blame

I work w/a lady who's mother-in-law traveled in a 1st class cabin on the 'Last Great Cruise' in 1967 and she said the ship was well worn then-41 years ago!

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 06-06-2008 06:31 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great pics David! QM still is wonderful, even in her current state.

The craftsmanship with the wood is really something. Unfortunately on the pic you posted to this thread it looks like there is some LA gang tagging on the wood. What is up with that?

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
KenC
First Class Passenger
Member # 6341

posted 06-07-2008 05:54 AM      Profile for KenC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
.........The public rooms of the ship have little connection to the sea with small windows or no windows. ......

[ 06-06-2008: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Great photos - really takes me back to my visits a few years back. I believe that the intention of the interior design was to suggest somewhere cosy and comfortable on land - in fact there were no paintings featuring seascapes onboard either. In the days when the only way to cross was by sea, not everyone was onboard for the pleasure of being at sea!!! I'm sure poor sailors were happy to go along with the illusion. Those who wanted contact with the sea of course had that amazing enclosed Promenade Deck.

Ken

Posts: 353 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 06-08-2008 03:27 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Unfortunately on the pic you posted to this thread it looks like there is some LA gang tagging on the wood. What is up with that?

Ernie

Does'nt surprise me. They can't leave anything nice alone and it is getting worse in many parts of the city.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
KarenS.
First Class Passenger
Member # 6810

posted 06-12-2008 09:01 AM      Profile for KarenS.     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by desirod7:

'There is no other place in LA I would rather stay.'

I feel the same way, David ;-)

Karen

Posts: 13 | From: Hudson Valley, USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-13-2009 04:30 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For Skyroom who is about to stay on the ship.

The original cabins are usually outside, A deck or Main deck midship.

Sky Room
First Class Passenger
Member # 1976

posted 02-14-2009 04:21 AM      Profile for Sky Room     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
For Skyroom who is about to stay on the ship.

The original cabins are usually outside, A deck or Main deck midship.

David

Thanks for the link. Things been bit hectic for past few months, no actually for the past year and I may have missed that post. Exceptional photos of QM and interesting commentary. I'll report back after visit and try to post photos. Thanks Doug

Posts: 62 | From: Boston | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.