- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Cunard Adventurer

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cunard Adventurer
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 02-08-2007 11:56 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any images of the Cunard Adventurer after her stack was painted into Cunard's colors? I have seen one small image in a book on Cunard, but would love to see more. I fnd this ship very interesting looking, if a bit ungainly..

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 02-08-2007 12:03 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed interesting, and overlook because the ships and her (near)sisters don't fit in the "heritage" image we have now of Cunard.
There is often criticism of Cunards management in the 70s and 80s, but on the other hand, there were almost no other established passenger shipping companies who built 4 new ships dedicated solely to cruising. They surely knew what was necessary :
One of the oldest shipping companies went in full competition with the likes of NCL
P&O had the Spirit of London, but it was transferred to Princess
What kind of cruises did the Cunard Adventurer and her sisters ?

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-08-2007 12:17 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've never seen an image of CUNARD ADVENTURER with a Cunard red funnel, if that's what you're asking. I thought the COUNTESS and PRINCESS of 1977 were the first new ships to go back to that livery. Here is one of the last, if not THE last brochure issued for the ADVENTURER before she was sold to NCL in late 1976:

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 02-08-2007 12:33 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I saw one picture of her stack painted in cunard red in this book by Janette McCutcheon.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-08-2007 12:38 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Half way down this page you will find links to 3 pics of Cunard Adventurer, 2 taken in Alaska with a Cunard Funnel.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-08-2007 12:42 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thad:
Well I saw one picture of her stack painted in cunard red in this book by Janette McCutcheon.

Off topic but images like this of the Lizzie remind me of why she is one of my top 5 favorite ocean liners.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 02-08-2007 12:51 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pam that is what I was looking for. She looks interesting with the Cunard colors on her stack

[ 02-08-2007: Message edited by: Thad ]

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-08-2007 01:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She could not have had that funnel long [the caption says circa '77 but maybe '76?]. Pics of her collision with CARLA C in San Juan Feb '76 show her with a white funnel. So months at the most.

Pam

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-08-2007 01:31 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam, thanks for pointing out those photos, the first I've seen of her with a red stack. It must have been the summer of 1976, since after the Alaska season she was sold to Kloster and rebuilt into the SUNWARD II.

Rich

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 02-08-2007 02:24 PM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
She could not have had that funnel long [the caption says circa '77 but maybe '76?]. Pics of her collision with CARLA C in San Juan Feb '76 show her with a white funnel. So months at the most.

Pam

I don't think that Adventurer had her funnel painted in Cunard colours until after Countess entered service in August 1976. So it was only for a few months. Until I saw those photos, I had never seen Adventurer in Cunard colours. As far as I know, Ambassador never had her funnel painted in Cunard colours

Countess and Princess had Cunard funnels from the start. But it wasn't until 1982 that QE2 had her funnel painted in Cunard colours in her post-Falklands refit.

Brian

P.S. A later post in the thread containing the pics of Adventurer states: "i believe that ship in the picture is either the cunard countess or princess. not the adventurer. i was an engineer on the countess in the '70s."". Obviously, not a very observant fellow who cannot distinguish between an upright funnel and a slanted one.

[ 02-08-2007: Message edited by: Brian_O ]

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-08-2007 03:07 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_O:

P.S. A later post in the thread containing the pics of Adventurer states: "i believe that ship in the picture is either the cunard countess or princess. not the adventurer. i was an engineer on the countess in the '70s."". Obviously, not a very observant fellow who cannot distinguish between an upright funnel and a slanted one.

[ 02-08-2007: Message edited by: Brian_O ]

That comment was made about the very first photo in the thread, which was obviously the COUNTESS or PRINCESS, and mis-identified.

Rich

Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 02-09-2007 12:14 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:

That comment was made about the very first photo in the thread, which was obviously the COUNTESS or PRINCESS, and mis-identified.

Rich

Ooooooops! You are correct. I missed that photo. It was the later photos that were of Adventurer.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-09-2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Half way down this page you will find links to 3 pics of Cunard Adventurer, 2 taken in Alaska with a Cunard Funnel.

Pam

Do you have to register on this page to see them. The page won't let me see them becuse it says I am not registered.

lasuvidaboy, I agree that is a great picture of her. I love her and the QMs lines from this angle.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-11-2007 01:38 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
here is one

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-11-2007 02:47 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Thad,

Although against my feeling for aesthetics, here one of my CA illustrations in traditional Cunard livery. Never liked it, it now looks like the funnel is not a part of the ship while the original white colors made the funnel design bland in with the overall look.

For some reason white areas make people scared and give them the reaction to fill it up in anyway possible. Also never liked the red race stripes, what was Cunard thinking? Stickers don’t enhance something.

Did you know that CA’s funnel was nicknamed “the angry penguin”, quite funny, if you think about it, it did look like a penquin!

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 02-11-2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree it is not a cohesive look with the Cunard colors, but you can start to see a resemblence between the Adventurer and the Countess. In general I am pleased that Cunard has returned to its original colors, though interestingly, both the Adventurer and QE2 with original stack did not look to good in them, probably as they were not designed for them. Onno, are you ever going to make a model of the Adventurer? I thought that she was one that you had plans for.
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-12-2007 03:10 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thad:
Onno, are you ever going to make a model of the Adventurer? I thought that she was one that you had plans for.

Plans indeed, now I only need to find the time.

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-12-2007 04:20 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I do like her with the Cunard coloured funnel, but not the racing stripes, makes her look 'cheap' I think.

LOL re 'the angry penguin', a very apt description. It had not occurred to me before, but it does look like a penguin about to peck.

Pam

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-12-2007 04:42 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Always like the design of those 2 litle ships. Only never understand way they have such ugly funnels.
The twin funnel she receved after she was rebuild in NCL's Sunward 2 made here looks much better.
But the ROC colors she looks best.
Wonder how she have look with this funnel design and in Cunard Colors.

Greetings Ben.

[ 02-12-2007: Message edited by: Maasdam ]

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.