- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Corporation today announced that 100% of its ships across the global fleet are equipped with Starlink's high-speed, low-latency global internet connectivity. The completed installation further enhances Carnival Corporation's onboard experience for its guests and crew to provide even faster service, greater capacity, and more reliable Wi-Fi on its fleet of 90-plus ships across its portfolio...

Latest News...Villa Vie Residences, a leading innovator in modern-day residential cruising, proudly announces the new Endless Horizons program, transforming the concept of retirement for adventurers who dream of traveling the world without the hassle of planning or ongoing expenses. With a one-time payment of $299,999 USD for single occupancy and $499,999 USD for double occupancy,...

Latest News...Setting sail today for her debut season from Southampton, Celebrity Cruises’ award-winning ship, Celebrity Apex, is turning heads as she becomes the first ship in the revolutionary Edge Series to call the United Kingdom home. Celebrity Apex will kick off her European season from Southampton with an eight-night Norwegian Fjords cruise. This serene sailing will visit idyllic locations...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » The Status of the SS Norway (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Status of the SS Norway
Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 02-03-2007 01:50 AM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ever since early January, everything regarding the latest news of the SS Norway has been dead silent.

I was wondering what is going on? I checked out a few of the French sites, Club France Prestige and the Association of the SS France for updates. The last news posted was that there are talks taking place with the scrappers to buy the ship.

Up to now, nothing. Does anyone want to take a guess about the circumstances surounding the SS Norway?

Posts: 300 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-03-2007 05:34 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi

Everything is quiet news wise until the Indian Supreme Court decide if she can be broken up at Alang or has to be removed from the beaches there.

There was talk, and messages appeared on some websites, that she had been towed too close to the shore to be moved back into deep water but this has been proved to be untrue and the work of people supporting her being broken up at Alang.

These messages appear to have been sent out to put off anyone still interested in buying the ship
and maybe using her in a static roll if they are not allowed to break her up at Alang.

The court decision is expected about the 7th March.

Neil ( Bob )

[ 02-03-2007: Message edited by: Neil Whitmore ( Bob ) ]

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 02-03-2007 12:55 PM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Bob,
It appears to be the case. Based on everything that has been presented, it's likely that the Indian Supreme Court will ban the SS Norway. All evidence proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the ship was brought to India illegally.

I certainly hope that the ship is purchased and removed from the Alang beach.

If the Norway could survive thus far because all of the goodwill to see her join the SS Rotterdam V, then hope is not lost. At least in my mind.

Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 02-03-2007 03:53 PM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In regards to the rumours ect.

I remember reading late last year that a small access hole had been cut into her hull about midship below the water line.Now as the tide comes in the water would flow into this hole and flood the lowest parts of the ship.Can anyone tell me if this was true or not?.Im not sure if i read it on here in one of the many postings about this ship or another site.

If it turns out to be true then the scrappers have done it in order to cause as much pernament damage as possible -or- it could be as Neil says just a rumour to throw off any possible return to service.

Just curious if it was true or not thats all.
Many thanks linerdan

Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-03-2007 04:20 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerdan:
In regards to the rumours ect.

I remember reading late last year that a small access hole had been cut into her hull about midship below the water line.

I doubt that is true. The pictures of her on the Maritime Matters site show the service doors are open on the port side. These doors are usually used when a ship is beached to gain access via rope ladders. If she is flooded, it would be nearly impossible to bring her closer to shore for beaching.

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-04-2007 11:30 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi

It was at one stage thought that a hole had been cut in the hull but examination of photos of her at Alang have proved otherwise.

Somebody had mistaken an opening already in the hull as a new opening.

Regards,

Neil ( Bob )

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 02-04-2007 12:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

I doubt that is true. The pictures of her on the Maritime Matters site show the service doors are open on the port side. These doors are usually used when a ship is beached to gain access via rope ladders. If she is flooded, it would be nearly impossible to bring her closer to shore for beaching.

She is flooded?

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-04-2007 02:23 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan:

She is flooded?

Jonathan

Unless her hull has been opened, I have not heard her being flooded. She was floating during high tides (and back on the sand when the tides where low) and there was a rumor her hull may have been damaged as a result. The question I have is why would an access door be cut below the waterline when there are plenty of service doors higher up?

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 02-04-2007 02:38 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:

Unless her hull has been opened, I have not heard her being flooded. She was floating during high tides (and back on the sand when the tides where low) and there was a rumor her hull may have been damaged as a result. The question I have is why would an access door be cut below the waterline when there are plenty of service doors higher up?

From what I know the rumor about her hull being damaged is not true. She is still in good condition except for the fact that shes on a beach.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 02-04-2007 07:08 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Jonathan

Where did you see a report that the ship is flooded.

Nothing has appeared on the many shipping forums and websites I use plus some which I do not think you would be able to access unless you are in the trade and can use them.

The only report in circulation was that her hull had been damaged, due to her being towed closer to the shore at Alang, but this report has been proved to be incorrect and the work of people supporting her being broken up at Alang.

With no power now available on board, as far as is known, it is possible that there will be some water in her bilges but this is not uncommon in a older ship which has been laid up for some time and has no generators running on board.

One place leaks are know to happen is where the propeller shaft goes out from the ships hull, due to damaged or worn out gland packing, which can result in water leaking into the bilges !

This water can soon be removed either with portable pumps or her own bilge pumps, once any of her generators are running again, and is not a problem.

The emergency generators on a ship operated independant of the main engine room equipment

These may have been used, since the explosion on board, to keep her bilges free of water as her main engines have not been running, as far as is known, and also may have been used to supply lighting etc when she was being towed around the world.

Neil ( Bob )

[ 02-04-2007: Message edited by: Neil Whitmore ( Bob ) ]

Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 02-04-2007 07:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry i get in the habit of skim reading and picking out key workds and when i saw the word flooded in lasuvidaboy's post i didnt read the word if in front. Sorry but it would be cool if someone could rescue her.

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-04-2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh come on it's to late. Look at the pictures and footage shot a/b. The ship is an complete mess. she's rotting away with leaking water pipes and rotting carpets. She's to be scrapped otherway sunk. It's to expensiff to save here on this stage. Where others failed whene she was not on the beach.

Face it she's finneshed.

Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 02-05-2007 12:24 AM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Ben,
Don't underestimate the SS Norway. As long as there are people who are willing to spend money, big business will take on the risk of buying and refiting the SS Norway as a SS Rotterdam V attraction.

While I have a great deal of respect of the Dutch refiting the SS Rotterdam V, I would be even more elated if the same approach is applied to the SS Norway.

Remember this notion: If it were not for all of the SS Norway supporters, the ship would have been scrapped by now. When it was realized that the ship had over 1240 tons of asbestos, that was the perfect motivation to prevent the breakup of the ship. So far, the delay will give Club France Prestige the time it needs.

The only people who can save the SS Norway are the French. Just as the only people who had saved the SS Rotterdam are the Dutch.

Now if only the same thing can be applied to the SS United States and the MV Augustus(Andera Doria's forerunner).

Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 02-05-2007 04:17 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Redlinekid2:
Don't underestimate the SS Norway. As long as there are people who are willing to spend money, big business will take on the risk of buying and refiting the SS Norway as a SS Rotterdam V attraction. ...
I think your proposition has missed out the word "if". And that's a very big "if". Nobody has shown any money yet. And with every day that passes, more money will be needed to do the job.

So where is it? Show us the money! (If it exists.)

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-05-2007 04:45 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is not Augustus well cared for? Privately owned and even gets a run up the coast to drydock every so often. Why does she need more 'saving'?

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-05-2007 03:02 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Is not Augustus well cared for? Privately owned and even gets a run up the coast to drydock every so often. Why does she need more 'saving'?

Pam

Other than some tacky redecorating in a few spaces, the partial glazing of the covered promenade deck and the extension of her aft decks she appears to be nearly original. There are excellent pics of her on the Maritime Matters site.

Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 02-05-2007 11:45 PM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Pam,
I feel that the MV Augustus needs to be brought back to Italy, as the ship is the only existing link to the Andrea Doria. If the ship is permanently docked at the same pier where the Andrea Doria once docked, it would be an excellent attraction.

While there is no danger to the ship at the moment, who knows what the future holds? When the owner of the SS Winsor Castle died, his son sold the ship for scrap before a buyer could be found. This is what concerns me about the Augustus. It's the last Italian Ship of State.

A foundation must be established to bring awarness to the ship.

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-06-2007 04:30 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Pam,
I feel that the MV Augustus needs to be brought back to Italy, as the ship is the only existing link to the Andrea Doria. If the ship is permanently docked at the same pier where the Andrea Doria once docked, it would be an excellent attraction.

While there is no danger to the ship at the moment, who knows what the future holds? When the owner of the SS Winsor Castle died, his son sold the ship for scrap before a buyer could be found. This is what concerns me about the Augustus. It's the last Italian Ship of State.

A foundation must be established to bring awarness to the ship.

August was original the Italian Line flagship on the South America trade. But never the Italian ship of state. Beautifull ships outside and inside but never ship of state.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-06-2007 07:47 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hi Pam,
I feel that the MV Augustus needs to be brought back to Italy, as the ship is the only existing link to the Andrea Doria.

...Ausonia is still around. Smaller, but she resembles her too.

If the ship is permanently docked at the same pier where the Andrea Doria once docked, it would be an excellent attraction.
[/QUOTE]

This pier is in use. Isn't it?

While there is no danger to the ship at the moment, who knows what the future holds?
[/QUOTE]

Very likely, a transfer to Italy might be more dangerous than leaving her where she is right now.

It's the last Italian Ship of State.
[/QUOTE]

As said above - no - but she is of course a fantastic ship - and sadly there are not too many of the old Italian built ships left.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-06-2007 08:36 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Globaliser:
I think your proposition has missed out the word "if". And that's a very big "if". (If it exists.)

Charlie Brown Halloween

quote:
Linus states that one must never say "If the Great Pumpkin comes", but rather, "When the Great Pumpkin comes"; a lack of sufficient faith, he avers, might cause the Great Pumpkin to pass one by at the critical time.

Putting faith in any idea that the SSNorway will be saved is like putting faith in the Great Pumpkin

[ 02-06-2007: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 02-06-2007 08:46 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norway has a much chance of getting away from the scrap merchants either in Alang or elsewhere as Achille Lauro has of docking at Durban's new cruise ship terminal when it opens in 2009. Zilch for the first because no one has that sort of money to burn and of course the second is currently at the bottom of the Indian Ocean ! (would make a good movie though ?)
Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 02-06-2007 01:48 PM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'll only say this last comment about the SS Norway: If they are any interested parties who want to buy the ship, the time for it is now. Not March 7th, when the courts make their final decision.

By that time, we're know soon enough to see what will happen to the ship. I was hoping that Club France Presitge would have gotten the ship by now. But the only news that I received was that they returned all of the subcription funds back to the contributors.

So who's left to buy the ship?

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-06-2007 02:21 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The time to buy Norway was 3 years ago, the deadline has long since passed by.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
VDK
First Class Passenger
Member # 3460

posted 02-06-2007 02:42 PM      Profile for VDK   Email VDK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt very much that the ship will be allowed to be sold, there is simply too much to lose for the ship breakers as far as a precedence is concerned. The Indian breakers are very concerned that if NORWAY were turned away it would open the door for other ships to be turned away due to HAZMAT contamination. They want the opportunity to prove that they can manage the waste stream that this ship will generate. So, don't count on this ship floating up anytime soon or ever. They care not about her history but rather and understandably about their future - and she represents a significant stake in that
Posts: 325 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-06-2007 03:04 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anyone who is NOW claiming to have a plan to safe this marvelous ship has to explain why nothing has been done when it was MUCH easier to do that - BEFORE she has been moved to India.

Beside that, do not forget that a major clean-up might not only be necessary for scrapping her in a proper manner BUT ALSO for using her in a static role.

As much as any effort to safe her would be welcome, looking at the web page of Club Le France Prestige is not really reassuring. This is either very naive or very unserious.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.