- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » ss NORWAY...its not over yet... (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: ss NORWAY...its not over yet...
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 08-21-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indarra

Many thanks for your comments.

No. I am not the same person as Rueben although I am friends with him.

I note you are from Japan.

Did you cruise on Chitral when she did the Japanese cruises ?

Regards,

Neil ( Bob).

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-21-2006 07:35 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indarra,

The article last week from the Times of India stated

quote:
Confirming that the cruiseliner had beached at Alang, the port officer Anil Rathore said, "The Blue Lady has beached today in plot No V1 after completing all formalities required. It should be ready for dismantling in a month's time."
Why would the port officer say she'd beached if she hadn't?

Interesting you also wondered if Neil and Reuben are the same person. Welcome to the club.

Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Indarra
First Class Passenger
Member # 6005

posted 08-21-2006 08:38 PM      Profile for Indarra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Bob

I did a line voyage as a passenger on CHITRAL with the Eastern & Australian SS Co in 1971, Captain Mackie, Yokohama-Rabaul-Sydney. Very spaced out and pleasant voyage. Notable for me in that this has been the only occasion I have ever sailed from Yokohama. The stewardess (at whose table I sat) was the Australian movie actress Janet Lee, still in her twenties I think, beautiful and a delightful personality.

The engineers told us the gearing on CHITRAL, cut at her French builder's yard, was extraordinarily quiet and superior to that of her Belgian-built sister CATHAY. Nevertheless it was CATHAY which was destined to have the much longer life.

Incidentally, I am an acquantaince of the Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who told me he and his parents did a Mediterranean cruise out of Italy in CHITRAL in about 1970.

Bob, I know we're getting off topic here, but do you have a personal connection with CHITRAL?

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: Indarra ]

Posts: 274 | From: Tokyo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Indarra
First Class Passenger
Member # 6005

posted 08-21-2006 08:59 PM      Profile for Indarra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Patsy

It's "beached", but the photos show her to still be on an even keel and in effect sitting on a sandbank some distance from the shore. As you say, demolition has not yet commenced.

Because her engines were not able to be used for the beaching this "beaching" appears different from the usual Alang beaching in which the vessel is run at full power into a positon on the beach from which refloating is not possible.

The tide table shows that the tide will return to higher levels than 15 August when she was towed to her present position.

But all things considered, including the continued action in the Indian Supreme Court, I would not expect the vessel now to escape demolition.

Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-21-2006 09:08 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indarra,

Neither do I or a lot of other people. I'm sure she would never have got that far without a nod and a wink from someone. It's a done deal really. A friend of mine looked at Neil's comments earlier and asked me, "If Norway's draft is 35 feet and the tide is 30, doesn't that mean there's 5 feet missing so she won't float?"

Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 08-22-2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The 5ft difference can well be explained by the fact she had now been unloaded (35ft is a full load draught) of nearly all the heavy fluids, oil, water, ballasts and incedentally some internal fitting.

But it doesn't matter, as a real object, she's 99.9999999% dead.

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: Vaccaro ]

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 08-22-2006 04:16 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Indarra

I was on Chitral for all the cruises she made from Yokohama with mainly Japanese passengers on board and also on Cathay for the voyage from UK to Hong Kong when she took over the Australian service from Aramac in November 1969.

At Hong Kong the crew from the Aramac, which had arrived in port the day before us, took over from our own Hong Kong Chinese crew although some of the Aramac Senior Officers had joined us at Singapore.

I was also on Chusan when she first visited Japan in the early 1950's.

Before any comments are added, I know I am off track again but no doubt this is of interest to those who did not know about the Japanese cruises made by Chitral from Yokohama to Kobe, Hong Kong and Keelung in 1968/9.

Neil ( Bob ) .

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 08-22-2006 05:52 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A little more information and discussion from another maritime forum/list.

Willem

= = =

> However, he seems to have abandoned all premise of actually running a maritime history site and now uses it largely as a vehicle to excercise his ridiculous vendetta against Star Cruises.

My contacts at Star are absolutely livid at
SSMaritime's vendetta against them. Needlesss to say, much of what it says is absolutely
incorrect, especially what has happened to the Norway since they sold the ship in January. I have the details, which are too lengthy to go
into here, but suffice it to say they held on to the ship for two years in the hopes of finding a new role or trading buyer for the ship.
Several deals were on the cards, but each and every time the proposed buyers were unable, for one reason or another, to cough up the cash for
the ship. Star's patience finally ran out in January when they decided that finding a trading buyer was a fruitless task. Actually, the ship
was in the process of being chartered/sold to Dubai-based interests for use as an accommodation ship when it left Germany. The plan was for it to be refitted in Asia prior to taking up the new role. The deal failed at the very last minute.

> I am not sure what the poor company did to incur his wrath. Perhaps
> they did not invite him on enough free cruises.
>

They gave him the full VIP treatment before he started his latest campaign. This is extremely annoying for Star considering it has always
been very generous with its accommodating of requests from ship buffs, even going so far as to give free cruises to people running ship
enthusiast websites, but now the PR/Marketing department is understandably reluctant to continue in this manner. Well, we know who we have to thank for that.

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: Willem ]

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Indarra
First Class Passenger
Member # 6005

posted 08-22-2006 08:07 AM      Profile for Indarra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bob

I was not aware of CHITRAL's Japanese cruises, although I was aware that she had cruised out of Italy for P&O just before transferring to E&A.

Other early cruise ships from Japanese ports were KOAN MARU, her stablemate ORIENTAL QUEEN ex KANIMBLA, and from May 1971 CORAL PRINCESS (Swire) and in 1973 ORIENTAL PRESIDENT (ex PRESIDENT CLEVELAND). Coastal voyages Kobe/Yokohama on P&O ships were also popular in the 1960s.

Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-22-2006 11:55 AM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very interesting information there, Willem. When someone constantly verbally attacks a company and puts up their email addresses telling others to email to register their protests (which it's obvious a lot will be abusive), it's no wonder they don't reply. I wonder what this Dubai interest was back in 2005?
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 08-22-2006 12:30 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And a little more info written by a Yahoo-group listowner.

Willem

= = =
As many of you know, I've had an SS NORWAY Yahoogroup since right before the September 2001 "farewell crossing" on the ship. Many
members there have been lambasted and harrassed for expressing their opinions about the ship, NCL, Star and old liners and big business in
general. Those who SSMaritime feels are "against" him have received hate e-mail and have been criticised on his web site, along with Star.

It's clearly a vendetta and a very venal one at that. Not only has the owner of the web site turned a vicious eye toward NCL and Star, but to any and all who believe he's not doing this for some grand
altruistic reason.

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-22-2006 01:49 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This gets more interesting. Any more?
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 08-22-2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patsy:
This gets more interesting. Any more?

Not yet

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-22-2006 02:05 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All this talk reminds me of one of my favorite images of a beloved ship being towed to the breakers...

http://www.artofeurope.com/turner/tur1.jpg

The breaking of great and beloved ships has been going on for well over a century.

P.S. On the National Gallery website this statement was found:

The Greatest Painting in Britain
In a poll held by the National Gallery and the BBC Radio 4 Today programme, members of the British public were invited to vote for what they considered to be the Greatest Painting in Britain. Here's the winner...The Fighting Temeraire

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: dmwnc1 ]

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-22-2006 02:20 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LOL Willem!

That's a beautiful painting, dmwnc1. What's it called?

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-22-2006 02:20 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess none of the photos taken in Alang can compete with a painting of Turner - and probalby most ships scrapped there are also not in the same league as the Temeraire.
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-22-2006 02:27 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patsy:
That's a beautiful painting, dmwnc1. What's it called?

Full title: The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her Last Berth to be broken up, 1838

circa 1839

Painter: TURNER, Joseph Mallord William
1775 - 1851

In all my worldly travels I have had the good fortune of being able to visit most of the greatest art museums in the world, yet this painting ranks as one of my favorites.

A brief history lesson for those interested...

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPu blisher.woa/wa/work?workNumber=NG524

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-22-2006 02:44 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...and here a naval painting of the painter who is said to have inspired Turner...

link to painting

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-22-2006 03:15 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, dmwnc1. And Ernst for your link. That's what art is but let's not start on that. LOL!
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 08-22-2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indarra

Many thanks for that list of ships.

We often had members of the Japanese branch of the World Ship Society visit the P&O passenger/cruise ships when in Yokohama and sometimes at Kobe as well.

Being a member myself I always took the parties on their tour of our ship, if I was on board at the time, and we always provided the party with refreshments after the tour which gave everyone time for a chat about the ship.

Quite often our Captain would join us for the refreshments and would also autograph the ships souvenir menus and other items we provided for the visitors.

If he could not make the party then I would sign them instead.

Regards,

Neil ( Bob )

Indarra
First Class Passenger
Member # 6005

posted 08-22-2006 07:11 PM      Profile for Indarra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bob

This is getting into familiar turf. I helped set up the Japanese WSS in about 1974 or 1975. You will see a photo of me (in a group photo) in Marine News some time in late 1975 or early 1976, I think. I don't think we've met, however.

I'm sending you a PM, as this conversation is doubtless distracting for the others.

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: Indarra ]

Kevin Gillespie
First Class Passenger
Member # 5748

posted 08-22-2006 10:55 PM      Profile for Kevin Gillespie   Email Kevin Gillespie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:

Full title: The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her Last Berth to be broken up, 1838

circa 1839

Painter: TURNER, Joseph Mallord William
1775 - 1851

In all my worldly travels I have had the good fortune of being able to visit most of the greatest art museums in the world, yet this painting ranks as one of my favorites.

A brief history lesson for those interested...

http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-bin/WebObjects.dll/CollectionPu blisher.woa/wa/work?workNumber=NG524

As a lover of historic warships, this one tugs at the heart strings. While we Americans have done better at preserving historic warships than most, the list of "should have been's" is way too long even for the United States. I would top the list with Enterprise, Oregon, any of the surviving Pearl Harbor battleships, and Hartford.

Many of the posters from the UK no doubt regret the demise of Warspite, King George V, Duke of York, Vanguard, or perhaps Illustrious & Victorious.

A marvelous painting nonetheless. Easier to handle than the pictures of Norway half dismantled will be in the not too distant future.

Posts: 21 | From: Columbia, MD | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-23-2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Especially if Google Earth update to include it. I don't want to see that.
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 08-28-2006 10:43 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As much as it pains to say it, is it time to remove/update this page...?

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/ships/no_norwa.asp

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-28-2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
As much as it pains to say it, is it time to remove/update this page...?

What and pretend that she never existed?

We have a number of reviews about ships and cruise lines that are no longer with us. I find it interesting to read the opinions of the time.

[ 08-28-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.