- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Oceanic & QE2 Pics together (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Oceanic & QE2 Pics together
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-09-2006 06:22 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It isn't very often one gets the chance to see these 2 ladies together. A real delight to watch Oceanic berth astern of QE2. Unfortunately later in the day it was far too hazy for any decent photos and QE2 had left by 14:00, but some 7am photos in the Galleries with more of the same here.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 08-09-2006 07:27 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That made my morning Pam....love those photos. I would love to see more and more cruise ships built that size.....Was on the OCEANIC 4 times when she was with Premier. And visited the QE 2, when she was in Ft. Lauderdale. It was a special invite for travel agents, it was a very fast tour on her. They let us stop and rest in one bar, can't recall which one and in popped Art Buchwald. A very nice fellow, he signed a piece of paper for me. When my late husband was a barber at the Savoy Plaza in NYC, it was near Central Park....Buchwald and all the big actors/actresses...musicians, writers would come in there to get all gussied up. That included getting a manicure. Tony had some life.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 08-09-2006 07:50 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great pics, Pam. These two ladies are amazing.
Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 08-09-2006 09:10 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam,

What ship is in the bottom right corner of this picture?

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 08-09-2006 09:25 AM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oceanic's stern was the inspiration for QM2's hybrid stern.

Flat at the waterline for propulsion efficiency and rounded (cruiser) higher for seakeeping and aesthetics.

Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Pascal
First Class Passenger
Member # 5510

posted 08-09-2006 09:29 AM      Profile for Pascal     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's a cruise ship.

[ 08-09-2006: Message edited by: Pascal ]

Posts: 1371 | From: Aix en Provence | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-09-2006 10:54 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She's a rather nice ex Japanese ferry, now Ocean Trailer:-

Pam

DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 08-09-2006 11:43 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like that ship Pam, it looks marvelous..sort of like a smaller version of the QM 2. OOOOps, I meant QE 2...not the aforementioned. YIKES

[ 08-09-2006: Message edited by: DAMBROSI ]

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 08-09-2006 11:47 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Beautiful pictures.
Barcelona is certainly one of the most interesting shipspotting places : lots of different ships : gracious old classics, next to a variety of interestingooking ferries and modern and contemporary cruiseships, and this on a more or less regular basis.

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 08-09-2006 12:32 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow-two of my all time favorites! Thanks for sharing Pam!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 08-09-2006 12:41 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is amazing how much bigger the QE2 is than the Oceanic, yet both are graceful to look at.

Pam[/QB][/QUOTE]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 08-09-2006 12:49 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fantastic photos Pam! I just love the looks of OCEANIC and always have. She has that Italian lineage from the 60's that just can't be beat. As for QE2, her exterior was never a favorite of mine for some reason. I can't really pinpoint why but she just doesn't do much for me. Mind you I love sailing on QE2, I'm just not enamored with her appearance.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 08-09-2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great photos, Pam. Pity the view's spoiled by Ocean Village.
Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TampaMike
First Class Passenger
Member # 4445

posted 08-10-2006 07:48 PM      Profile for TampaMike   Email TampaMike   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great Pics!

I love that Oceanic has her original letters on the stern from Home Lines (sans Panama registry), the script lettering on the bow from Premier, and now dressed in Pullmantur livery. Each of her 'lives' are on display.

Posts: 246 | From: Tampa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 08-14-2006 03:13 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really great photos, Pam. You take very pleasing photos for the liner enthusiast as well as others.
Please continue to share with us. Thanks.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
anthemius
First Class Passenger
Member # 1859

posted 08-22-2006 10:41 AM      Profile for anthemius   Author's Homepage   Email anthemius   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello Pam,
seems we were in Barcelona at the same time! Saw OCEANIC and QE2 coming in on MONTEREY. I wanted to go on MontJuic to take an areal view of both ships, but when I reached this height the QE2 was on the way to the harbour exit. Dammit!

Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 08-22-2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam: what's the ship in the background?

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: Tom Burke ]

Whops, didn't get that right. Anyway, it's the second image in this gallery of Pam's:
http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=2564

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: Tom Burke ]

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 08-22-2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Pam: what's the ship in the background?

Ah: it's actually in three of the shots, and presumably it's the Ocean Village.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-22-2006 04:45 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anthemius:
.. the QE2 was on the way to the harbour exit. Dammit!

Maybe we met without knowing I only went up the cable car to get some overhead shots of Monterey, but it took me so long to get back I missed QE2 leaving too. I knew she left at 2pm [crazy time?] and was going to go on a harbour trip.. not to be. You must have been aboard when I took some early shots of Monterey alongside.

see Gallery

Yes, Tom, that 'thing' was OV.. not a very pretty sight I took this one as a quiz.. but it came out too obvious..

More here.

Pam

[ 08-22-2006: Message edited by: PamM ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-22-2006 04:52 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very nice pictures - what a pitty that you don't have a video of the Monterey leaving.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 08-22-2006 05:08 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...coincidentally it occured to me that there is a video of Monterey leaving Barcelona to be found here.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
anthemius
First Class Passenger
Member # 1859

posted 08-27-2006 01:04 PM      Profile for anthemius   Author's Homepage   Email anthemius   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pam,
I disembarked MONTEREY about 11:30. I tried the cable car later that day to get aerial views of the ship. But the angle and the sunlight was against me, so my pictures of MONTEREY could have been better. My review of my Monterey cruise will appear in Sea Lines, which makes me a bit proud.

Michael Hipler
http://liners.gmxome.de

anthemius
First Class Passenger
Member # 1859

posted 08-27-2006 01:09 PM      Profile for anthemius   Author's Homepage   Email anthemius   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In fact on the pictures of MONTEREY departing Barcelona you probably can see me standing on the bridge leading to the Mol Adossat, the second cruise terminal, to photograph her departure. These pictures came out excellent.
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 08-27-2006 01:34 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Michael, yes I can see a couple of people on the bridge above the Fruit Terminal.. no more identifiable than as human beings though You also probably have me as a spec on top of the Eurostars GM Hotel?

Wish I had known, we could have had a drink up at the cable car cafe.. look forward to the review & photos in C lines. Will make a nice change.

Pam

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-27-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Oceanic's stern was the inspiration for QM2's hybrid stern.

No such thing as maritime design copyright then, Gerry?

The QM2 must be the first ship for decades where the designers we actually allowed to consider the 'aesthetics'.

[ 08-27-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.