- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line said today that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia. Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc today announced it has signed an agreement with Meyer Werft shipyard for a fifth Excel-class cruise ship for its namesake Carnival Cruise Line brand, with the delivery set for 2028. In mid-February Carnival Corporation had announced the first newbuild order placed in five years with news that a fourth Excel-class ship would join the Carnival Cruise Line...

Latest News...Four Seasons, together with luxury yachting company Marc-Henry Cruise Holdings Ltd, Joint Owner/Operator, Four Seasons Yachts, and venerated Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, continues to chart a new course of luxury at sea. As momentum builds towards the inaugural season of Four Seasons Yachts, the first 10 unique voyages are unveiled, each inviting travellers to make the iconic islands...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » SS NORWAY SOLD again

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SS NORWAY SOLD again
Deck 9 001
First Class Passenger
Member # 1716

posted 03-20-2006 04:27 AM      Profile for Deck 9 001     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From The Star:

SS Norway sold for US$12mil

By SHARIDAN M.ALI

Cruise liner SS Norway, once the longest in the world, has been sold for US$12mil to a Bangladeshi businessman.

The vessel, which has been anchored off Port Klang since Aug 10, is now finding ways to sail to Bangladesh.

According to India based ZeeNews International Edition dated Feb 15, the 11-deck high ship was purchased by scrap merchant Lokman Hossain.

The buyer is now having a challenging time taking the ship to his scrap yard in Chittagong because the Bangladesh Government had blocked the vessel from being demolished there as feared the ship’s content would pose a health hazard to workers.

Owing to the health hazard it posed ship breaking workers, Bangladesh Environment and Forest Minister Tariqul Islam had said that they had issued a ban on the ship's entering Bangladesh territory.

According to Greenpeace, SS Norway is among the 50 ships on their watch list that needs to be decontaminated before being demolished as it contains 1,250 tonnes of asbestos containing materials.

It is not known immediately what will happen to the legendary 43-year-old cruise liner following the new developments.

Star Cruises, which had owned the vessel through the Norwegian Cruise Line had attributed that the sale could be due to the losses it had incurred since 2004.

In a press release, Star Cruise posted an impairment loss on SS Norway of US$14.5mil in 2004.

Last year, again the ship brought an impairment loss reversal of US$1.3mil.

Other than it being demolished, there are also talks that the ship could be turned into a floating hotel or training ship since it carries historical values and majestic interiors.

The Marine Department and Department of Environment of Malaysia are keeping a close watch on the vessel to ensure it does not pose any pollution and threat to the environment.

[ 03-20-2006: Message edited by: Deck 9 001 ]

Posts: 939 | From: Taipei, Taiwan (originally New York) | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 03-20-2006 05:52 AM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This poor ship gets brought and sold more then trading cards
Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 03-20-2006 08:46 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
being old news (feb.15) i wonder if ss norway was sold
after the band in india was
in place. ss norway could still be up for sale.

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Deck 9 001
First Class Passenger
Member # 1716

posted 03-20-2006 08:52 AM      Profile for Deck 9 001     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry I did not list the date of this article.
It is from The Star Online, Monday 20 March 2006
We will have to watch for further developments. The ship is still listed as for sale on Tug-Barge web site.

Mike

[ 03-20-2006: Message edited by: Deck 9 001 ]

Posts: 939 | From: Taipei, Taiwan (originally New York) | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-20-2006 09:16 AM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a sad way for such a great ship to end. I had such hopes that she would survive.
Posts: 1197 | From: Massachusetts where the Brittania was trapped! | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 03-20-2006 06:20 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Me too....I was really hoping someone else would get her....I wish I had the money...I would'nt let this happen to her....not what she meant to my husband while he was alive and could walk on the International Deck, using the handrails so he could get his exercise.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 03-20-2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe we can convince NCL to gut her completely (a la SSUS) and rebuild her!

I'd be sad to see her go, but c'est la vie. I rather have her end misery now, then decay as a floating amusment ship.

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 03-20-2006 07:26 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NCL has nothing to do with her anymore - she has been sold. It would come out for the same to approach NCL or any other cruise line.

[ 03-20-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 03-21-2006 08:01 AM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to another forum this is old news and the ship is still owned by NCL/Star. The Norway is also still listed for sale on the tug-barge website ( www.tug-barge.com)
But who knows, NCL and Star are so incredibly secretive about everything apart of course from whatever their latest floating white box is.

Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 03-21-2006 09:24 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
viking109 wrote:
According to another forum this is old news and the ship is still owned by NCL/Star. The Norway is also still listed for sale on the tug-barge website ( www.tug-barge.com)
But who knows, NCL and Star are so incredibly secretive about everything apart of course from whatever their latest floating white box is.

See: SS NORWAY, floating hotel or training ship?

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 03-22-2006 04:12 AM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, but that was also said while she was still in Germany
Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Garnett
First Class Passenger
Member # 6346

posted 03-22-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Garnett   Email Garnett   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I also believe this to be old news. I read essentially the same report, referencing the same buyer, in a Bangladeshi newspaper almost a month ago. I think this is the sale that was canceled due to the asbestos outcry.
Posts: 72 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-22-2006 08:42 AM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garnett:
I think this is the sale that was canceled due to the asbestos outcry.

I hope so.

Posts: 1197 | From: Massachusetts where the Brittania was trapped! | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 03-22-2006 02:27 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do ZeeNews International keep their articles archived? I couldn't find anything on the site.

Well said, Linerdan. I'm expecting her to be won in a game of poker or toss of a coin any day.

Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Garnett
First Class Passenger
Member # 6346

posted 03-25-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Garnett   Email Garnett   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I may have been incorrect in my earlier posting....

From Piet Sinke's daily column of March 25th, 2006:

Norway Sold - Again

A story in today's online edition of the Star newspaper reports that the Norway, former flagship of Norwegian Cruise
Line, has been sold to a Bangladeshi businessman for $12 million dollars. If true, this will be the second time the ship
has been sold within the past three months.
Back in January, the ship's owner, NCL-parent Star Cruises announced the ship had been sold and was headed for a
scrap yard in Chittagong. That plan took an unexpected turn when Star learned that it might be subject to significant
environmental-related fines if the ship was broken up because she still contained more than 3,000 tons of asbestos.
Environmental groups have for a long time been targeting the ship breaking activities in India and Pakistan claiming
that the largely manual process of scrapping a ship releases hazardous materials into the environment. Most recently,
they joined local groups to seek a court order in an attempt to block the scrapping of the former French aircraft carrier
Clemenceau.
Sources have indicated that fines related to the large amount of asbestos on board could range as high as $10 million.
Those of you that have been following this saga from the beginning may remember that sceptics claimed Star's
announcement that it was moving the ship from Germany to Asia last year to become part of a resort was nothing
more than a way for the company to dodge European environmental laws.

While the sale announced today has all the earmarkings of a sale for scrap, it is not clear how the new owner will
overcome the asbestos-related issues. Following the uproar in January, the Bangladesh Environment and Forest
Minister issued an order preventing the ship from entering Bangladesh territory.
It is possible, although unlikely, that the new owner will attempt to convert the ship into a hotel or resort facility. At
this point however, there is no indication that this is part of the plan.

M.Robitaille
Just Boarded
Member # 6371

posted 03-26-2006 08:25 PM      Profile for M.Robitaille   Email M.Robitaille   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the ss Norway / ss France still have a chance

go see www.savessnorway.com. A canadian, Émanuel Huard, try to buy the ship for bring it back to its true utility, cruising. He alredy got 100M $us. for compensate, he wish to sell the vicking and pool deck in time share. betwene 8 000$ an 40 000$ a week/year. If he got enough letter of intention, we keep it.

Posts: 1 | From: Québec | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 03-26-2006 08:55 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Garnett:
I may have been incorrect in my earlier posting....

From Piet Sinke's daily column of March 25th, 2006:

Norway Sold - Again

A story in today's online edition of the Star newspaper reports that the Norway, former flagship of Norwegian Cruise Line, has been sold to a Bangladeshi businessman for $12 million dollars. If true, this will be the second time the ship has been sold within the past three months...

Where is Piet Sinke's daily column? The article you attributed to him was written by me for last week's
Cruise News on this website.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Garnett
First Class Passenger
Member # 6346

posted 03-26-2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Garnett   Email Garnett   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
http://www.shipinform.org/daily_shipping_newsletter/047-25-03-2006.pdf

Above is the link where I found the article. Mr. Sinke, I believe, usually makes note that his "news letter" is a consolidation of articles he has gathered from multiple websites. Looks like he saw your article.

Regards,
Garnett

bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 03-26-2006 09:13 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Garnett wrote:
Mr. Sinke, I believe, usually makes note that his "news letter" is a consolidation of articles he has gathered from multiple websites. Looks like he saw your article.

Or someone may have sent it to him. You just don't know unless you ask him.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Garnett
First Class Passenger
Member # 6346

posted 03-26-2006 09:36 PM      Profile for Garnett   Email Garnett   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very true.

In any event, I don't think there was an attempt by Mr. Sinke to claim the written verbage as his own.

Granted, he should probably note his sources, but I don't think he looks at his news letter as being on the same level as the New York Times or other media outlets.

J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-26-2006 09:59 PM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by M.Robitaille:
the ss Norway / ss France still have a chance

go see www.savessnorway.com. A canadian, Émanuel Huard, try to buy the ship for bring it back to its true utility, cruising. He alredy got 100M $us. for compensate, he wish to sell the vicking and pool deck in time share. betwene 8 000$ an 40 000$ a week/year. If he got enough letter of intention, we keep it.

Is this true?
They say "if it sounds too good to be true it is"
I hope that's not the case with this.
And renamed France too!!!!

Garnett
First Class Passenger
Member # 6346

posted 03-26-2006 10:10 PM      Profile for Garnett   Email Garnett   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've heard this "project" mentioned on other maritime websites, but would approach this very warily.

SUPPOSEDLY, NCL denies they have any knowledge of the project and have never had any conversations with this individual...which may or may not mean anything given NCL/Star's tight-lipped Public Relations Department.

From what I've read so far, there seems to be a very jaundiced eye toward this individual and his project. His website does not, in my mind, inspire confidence as it does not appear to be professionally done and has numerous grammatical errors....things I would not expect to find within a professionally run company who reports to have access to $100 million in financing.

Hopefully, once his project managers are named, and MUCH more detail is given, maybe the undertaking can achieve some credibility. Right now, when you click on "managers" at his website, you get an error message.

r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 03-27-2006 06:30 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J.S.S.Normandie:
They say "if it sounds too good to be true it is"

J.S.S.Normandie,

you are so right - sadly.

Make s search on Mr Huard and you will see.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 03-27-2006 09:45 AM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh no..

Not the Titanic replica.

see below

http://www.put.com/gigantic/

DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 03-29-2006 07:31 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So...now the BIG question>>>>did my lovely big BlUE LADY get sold??? Or is it another wild rumor???
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.