- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Cunard’s newest ship Queen Anne set sail for her homeport of Southampton after officially joining the luxury cruise line’s iconic fleet. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice on Friday (19 April). Crowds joined together at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard to wave an emotional goodbye...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line solidified its position as the leading cruise line in California on Wednesday as it christened its newest ship, Carnival Firenze, at its new home, the Long Beach Cruise Terminal. Hollywood actor Jonathan Bennett served as the ship's godfather, and he and Carnival Cruise Line President Christine Duffy celebrated all things Italian with the help...

Latest News...Royal Caribbean Group last week reported first quarter Earnings per Share ("EPS") of $1.35 and Adjusted EPS of $1.77. These results were better than the company's guidance due to stronger pricing on close-in demand, strength in onboard revenue and favorable timing of expenses. As a result of an exceptional WAVE season and continued strength in demand, Royal Caribbean Group said that it is...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Kungsholm '66 model (scratch build) (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Kungsholm '66 model (scratch build)
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-19-2006 10:28 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno,

The details are indeed a problem - and I had similar toughts 'recently' (O.K. it's now quite a while ago) - less is more - and one must not attempt to depict details which just can not be depicted. Giving how some of my models look alike and that I am lazy I seriousely consider to come up with some 'abstract' models instead. (...whenever I might be able to start building models again.....) Something like an 'admirality model' for passenger ships. (I know that it's actually more difficult to come up with an admirality model - but I guess you know what I mean)

[ 09-19-2006: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 09-19-2006 10:43 PM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wonderful model Onno! As always they are so detailed.

How do you create your funnels? I am overlaying the glossy white paper/cardboard(i forget the name) that you mentioned with plaster for my A. Doria funnel, but I am afraid it might collapse.

Posts: 1197 | From: Massachusetts where the Brittania was trapped! | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 09-20-2006 04:33 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernst,

Creating an abstract model could be even more difficult, what will you leave in and what not. Will it loose it’s essence or not? Maybe tackling tangible modeling problems would be more easy in the end.

I also had an idea to build large (1:100 or so) model of the tip of a bow only, almost getting an abstract sculpture instead of a model. For now it is just me dreaming a bit.

J.S.S. N,

Actually it varies, depending on the funnel design your modeling. In case of Kungsholm I made a cross shaped “skeleton” of the side shape and front shape of the funnel. The cross shape was glued onto a base that has the shape of the funnel at the deck point and one on top that has the funnel shape at the top end. Then I wrapped around a thin piece of paper as a skin. Don’t wrap it too tide or the entire funnel structure will start to warp.

With Andrea Doria I took a different approach, I did the same above steps but this was only to get an accurate “skin” template I could use for the eventual model. The Doria funnel is open at the top and you have the grill in front, to portray this in the model I left out the cross shaped skeleton and wrapped the skin shape around a droplet shaped base of the funnel.

Inaccuracies you can always correct with model putty, you only need to be gentle with cutting (use sharp knifes) and sanding. If the result isn’t perfect the first time simply toss it away and use what you learned to create a better one.

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
thundergod
First Class Passenger
Member # 5619

posted 09-20-2006 09:12 AM      Profile for thundergod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very nice model!
I love the fact that you have included the mobile crew swimming pool. It was onboard only during longer cruises and not during crossings as i understand? Does anyone know when it was remowed permanently? I have not seen any pictures of her as Victoria or Mona Lisa with the pool installed.

Posts: 138 | From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 09-20-2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thundergod,

If I’m not mistaking the crew pool is still in that same location today. It could be that during her career the pool has been covered temporarily. Pictures from the Victoria days also show the pool.

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 09-20-2006 11:04 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Brilliant as usual,....

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
thundergod
First Class Passenger
Member # 5619

posted 09-21-2006 02:22 AM      Profile for thundergod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ok. i was just wondering because during her SAL period the pool was lifted onboard when she was going for longer cruises.. actually i don´t know why it was not permanently installed?
Posts: 138 | From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 11-16-2010 09:14 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,

It has been a while ago I posted on CT…you know how it is, too many things to do and too little time in a day. So here is a little contribution to the forum.

Some new shots of my Kungsholm model. I made a lot of progress and the model is practically finished (some minor details and the large tenders still needs to be build)

Overall I think it turned out pretty nice.

Best, Onno

Italianliners
First Class Passenger
Member # 5446

posted 11-16-2010 09:22 AM      Profile for Italianliners   Email Italianliners   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Woooow 5 years!!! That's a lot of patience

Congratulations, it looks perfect! Very very nice!

Italianliners

Posts: 272 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 11-16-2010 10:16 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I said four years ago: brilliant as usual.

These need to be in a museum...or at least in my living room.

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 11-16-2010 11:22 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WELCOME BACK ONNO! Your contributions have been sorely missed. And your model is absolutely amazing. GREAT job!
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 11-16-2010 11:44 AM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A splendid model of a splendid ship!
And all of that with cardboard and such, with all these nice details and before all with such a great accuracy of shapes, I admire your patience and talent.

Linerguy: you mean in MY living room do you?

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 11-16-2010 09:22 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great work Onno! It looks beautiful just like the real thing!
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brian_O
First Class Passenger
Member # 3910

posted 11-17-2010 12:57 AM      Profile for Brian_O     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome back Onno. That is a truly magnificent model.

Brian

Posts: 2698 | From: Pointe-Claire, QC Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 11-17-2010 08:30 AM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey onno...long time...another scratch built modeller here too (michaelangelo, normandie, fairsea & deutchland)...seeing your model has got me inspired to start a new project...home lines oceanic...or eugenio c...jeff
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 11-17-2010 09:15 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
WOW! WOW! WOW! I'm floored, great job. Totally breathtaking. I think I need my smelling salts. Great job Onno. Excuse me while I faint.
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 11-17-2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys! Dropping in every now and again for a quick peek…haha
Now boys there is no need to fight over my model, it’s already on my table…haha!

@ Jeff, glad to have inspired you…Oceanic is on my “to do” list as well, Eugenio Costa I already modelled.

Got a bunch of scratch builds in scale 1:600 now. Normandie, QM2, Andrea Doria, Spirit of London, Kungsholm, Eugenio C, Seawind Crown, Rotterdam V and Nieuw Amsterdam II.

Yesterday I started on a new scratch build project, the ss SHALOM (Hanseatic and Doric)

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 11-17-2010 03:06 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wonderful model, Onno. Such talent! It's one of my very favorite ships from one of the best steamships lines ever.
As you consider Shalom, would you consider doing her as she was with Royal Cruise Line? RCL really improved her stern, IMHO.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 11-17-2010 03:16 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Gorgeous model of an amazing looking ship. That is EXACTLY the way the ship should have looked during her P&O days instead of what those nitwits did to her!
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 11-17-2010 03:26 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lasuvidaboy:
Gorgeous model of an amazing looking ship. That is EXACTLY the way the ship should have looked during her P&O days instead of what those nitwits did to her!

Exactly.

Onno, are you going to add the logo to the funnels?
I am not sure how this would work out - might be better to leave her as she is or at best add a very simplified version only.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 11-17-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ernst, I was thinking the same thing. Non of my models have decals, making graphics is no problem for me. But at such a small scale it’s more easy to screw up the applying if it.
….just took a look at my display cabinet behind me…to be honest I’m not bothered by the lack of logo and decals, so I will leave it be.

--

Indeed P&O’s alterations were not of the best aesthetic quality. Those things should be left to a professional designer/stylist and not by a board of directors or worst, in cases the wife of the president.

--

NAL, I do plan to build Shalom as she was designed, I actually liked her original stepped aft configuration. Also the “working ship” elements like the kingposts and cargo booms. Her later additions were a bit too flat and less streamlined. But hey…each their own preferences.

[ 11-17-2010: Message edited by: Onno ]

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 11-20-2010 08:03 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Onno:

Indeed P&O’s alterations were not of the best aesthetic quality. Those things should be left to a professional designer/stylist and not by a board of directors or worst, in cases the wife of the president.

--

NAL, I do plan to build Shalom as she was designed, I actually liked her original stepped aft configuration. --------Also the “working ship” elements like the kingposts and cargo booms.--------- Her later additions were a bit too flat and less streamlined. But hey…each their own preferences.

[ 11-17-2010: Message edited by: Onno ]

Welcome back Onno!

Example: The Queen Mary 1 has many of the working ship elements such as ventilators, cargo booms, capstans; quite prominent. The critics note is spoils the lines. Onboard the ship which is still quite large, the elements are an artform in their own, create a lot of visual interest, and intimacize very large spaces.

A design mentor once advised me: If it has to be brown since it is the president's wife's favorite color, walk away since you will only get endless grief and indicative of a dysfunctional entity.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 11-24-2010 03:46 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Indeed David, that’s why, as a photographer, I prefer pre 80’s ships. They had/have all sorts of deck clutter. Also they aren’t that tall, so a completely different perspective then today’s mega builds.

Modelling wise…all that deck detail is fun to make, but also gives a lot of hair pulling situations…haha

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.