- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Kungsholm '66 model (scratch build) (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Kungsholm '66 model (scratch build)
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-07-2005 10:31 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello All,

I haven’t had much modeling time for a while but last weekend I had some spare time and decided to start a new scratch build project. This time I will be modeling the famous Swedish American Liner Kungsholm of 1966. This was the last build SAL ship before the company ended and probably one of the nicest small sized, two funneled ships build. The Swedish people knew how to style a small ship and give it a grand liner look.

At the following link you can found out some more about SAL and the Kungsholm:
http://www.salship.se/

The Kungsholm was sold to P&O in the 70’s and a relative small conversion (which eliminated the forward dummy funnel and heightened the aft funnel) made the profile change drastically. The ship was renamed Sea Princess, then P&O renamed the ship Victoria and not so long ago the ship was sold and currently it sails as the Mona Lisa.

Here is a link to some photos I made of the Victoria:
http://www.onnoheesbeen.com/Vict.html

A couple of weeks ago I made an illustration of the Kungsholm (see below) and this inspired me to start the model. As always I’m building the model in my comfortable scale 1:600 and in my know cardboard and plaster technique. Currently the hull is smooth after a couple of sending treatments and ready for further detailing (anchors and gangway hatches).

Here are some pictures,

Onno

[ 12-09-2005: Message edited by: Onno ]

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-07-2005 10:41 AM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks great Onno! You are so talented. Good luck with it and I look forward to the finished product. You picked a great one!

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 12-07-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree, I am not sure you could have picked a prettier ship. Good luck and I eagerly await your images of progress.

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 12-09-2005 07:49 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She was one of the very prettiest of all ships. I
also eagerly await your finished model. Please
note that the line was SWEDISH AMERICAN LINE,
not AMERICA as in Holland America Line and
Norwegian America Line.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-09-2005 08:18 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for spotting the error NAL, I just corrected it.

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 12-09-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno,
Oddly, Norwegian America Line became
NORWEGIAN AMERICAN CRUISES during the
early 80's after it was sold and before it became
part of Cunard. As a lover of HAL, SAL, and NAL,
I became aware of these slight differences in
the names. Best of luck with your wonderful
project.

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-22-2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a small progress update of my Kungsholm model. The hull is practically finished and painted, her fore and aft deck are detailed with deck equipment. I just started working on the superstructure and funnels.

Onno

[ 02-22-2006: Message edited by: Onno ]

thundergod
First Class Passenger
Member # 5619

posted 02-23-2006 02:33 AM      Profile for thundergod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a great model! i would love to make one myself some day. Do you make printings of this model as you build it? if you do so im interested to buy a copy from you
Posts: 138 | From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Deck 9 001
First Class Passenger
Member # 1716

posted 02-23-2006 02:42 AM      Profile for Deck 9 001     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks almost ready to sail Onno.

Great work, really!

Mike

Posts: 939 | From: Taipei, Taiwan (originally New York) | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 02-23-2006 07:53 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow Onno!
Can't wait to see the funnels painted!
I hope you made sure the funnels can be turned into Sea Princess/Victoria too!
It is a very logical model to start after Spirit of London/Sun Princess!

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-23-2006 11:03 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In one word, "SUPERB"!

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
J.S.S.Normandie
First Class Passenger
Member # 6253

posted 02-23-2006 11:10 PM      Profile for J.S.S.Normandie     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Incredible! I can hardly believe you built it from scratch!
Posts: 1197 | From: Massachusetts where the Brittania was trapped! | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-27-2006 03:38 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi mates,

Thanks a lot for the complements.
--
thundergod, unfortunately this model is a “one of a kind”. I use a technique that uses a lot of sculpting and improvising.
--
Louy, the funnels are painted! Each funnel is too small to build them with a conversion option. However I it would not be a big problem to build an extra tall Sea Princess funnel and stump which can be switched for the Kungsholm funnels.
--
During the weekend I had some productive model hours, The funnels are finished and painted (the logo’s will be added when the entire model is finished) The decks are painted in “teak” effect.
I also made some better and sharper pictures, enjoy!

Onno

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 02-27-2006 03:42 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow Onno, this model looks great. Maybe you will have to have a small exhibition at the Maritime Museum in Rotterdam of all your models, it would look cool.

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
thundergod
First Class Passenger
Member # 5619

posted 02-28-2006 02:10 AM      Profile for thundergod     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
great pics! i really love the fact that you have included the removable crew swimming pool! they used to bring the pool onboard only for longer cruises from what i know. in a lot of pics from Kungholm you can see that the pool is missing.
Posts: 138 | From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-28-2006 03:43 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Once again you deliver a master piece. Maybe not a bad idea frome Thad. A exhibition at the Maritime museum Prins Hendrik Rotterdam would be fun. Maybe we cane mail theme and tell theme about youre work.

Afcorse if you aproof to it.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-28-2006 02:34 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maasdam:
Maybe not a bad idea frome Thad. A exhibition at the Maritime museum Prins Hendrik Rotterdam would be fun. Maybe we cane mail theme and tell theme about youre work.

That would be something, I once asked the museum if they were interested in displaying some of my paintings when QM2 was in Rotterdam but I basically got a polite rejection in return.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-28-2006 05:08 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent model. If the museum is not willing to display your models just make some more and open your own musuem in some years.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 09-19-2006 03:07 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Here is a new update on my Kungsholm model.

It has been a tedious work but the aft “glass” wind screens as well as the side superstructures of the enclosed promenade are finished. The wind screens are all cut out, leaving a thin divider in-between, then the screen is glued on a transparent sheet to simulate the glass. It took a long time but the result is good, casting a nice shadow over the decks when hold agains the light. I also began detailing the aft decks. The swimming pool is also finished. The forward superstructure is coming along as well.

Next will be the rest of the upper superstructure and the bridge structure, plus painting of the promenades.

Here are some pictures of the progress, more to follow at a later date.

Onno

[ 09-19-2006: Message edited by: Onno ]

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 09-19-2006 03:19 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow Onno she is Kungelsholm. Excellent can't wait to see this model finnish. Keep the update's come.

Greetings Ben.

ps. is the Nieuw Amsterdam model already.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 09-19-2006 04:59 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
B R A V O
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-19-2006 05:17 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very nice - especially as it is on the photos - models of this size can easily be cluttered with details - it might be an interesting option to leave it that way. (or do only a bit more)
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 09-19-2006 05:44 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys,

Ernst,

The level of detailing is always an interesting issue to think about. With my scratch build models of ships I always try to get the level of detailing seen on the Airfix 1:600 liner models.
This scale is large enough to be taken serious as a model (not toy like) and small enough not to loose yourself on the details. Lately I have been thinking of making some simplified models of ships (like old window display models or wind tunnel models) purely portraying the essential shape. Perhaps even keeping them white (or again paint them only in the essential livery)

Ben,

Nieuw Amsterdam II is still on the slip ways, the project ran out of funding (or better said time) I got hooked on the Kungsholm, so NAII is waiting for some other time. That’s the fun when you are modeling for yourself, no deadlines and all the time you want.

Onno

bearbuns
First Class Passenger
Member # 6418

posted 09-19-2006 05:49 PM      Profile for bearbuns        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno...I am in awe of your great talent I have seem displayed on this forum. This model is extraordinary... absolutely incredible! Your Kungsholm is as graceful and elegant as the original was. Well Done! Cheers, Penny
Posts: 82 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
SCOTT H
First Class Passenger
Member # 6831

posted 09-19-2006 08:41 PM      Profile for SCOTT H   Author's Homepage   Email SCOTT H   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno, the model looks great!! Amazing attention to detail all around.
Posts: 134 | From: Victoria B C Canada, but born in Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.