- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises today announced its newest ship Allura will enter service one week earlier than scheduled. Due to join the fleet in summer 2025, her inaugural sailing will now depart Trieste, Italy, on July 18, 2025, cruising six days to Athens, Greece, calling at gems in the Eastern Mediterranean including Rijeka, Croatia; Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Kotor, Montenegro...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line expects Carnival Pride to resume sailing from the Port of Baltimore on May 26, continuing the cruise line’s year-round homeport schedule.Carnival Pride is expected to arrive in Baltimore on May 26, following a week-long cruise that embarked in Norfolk, Va., where Carnival temporarily moved its Baltimore operations after the collapse of the Key Bridge...

Latest News...For the first time ever, Celebrity Edge, the ship that introduced the revolutionary outward-facing design, calls Alaska home for the summer. Today, Celebrity Edge will embark on her maiden sailing roundtrip from Seattle on a seven-night Dawes Glacier itinerary with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway. Through its unique outward facing design, Celebrity Edge will offer guests...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Oceanic Photos (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Oceanic Photos
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-10-2005 11:47 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have finally got most of my Oceanic photos online. [Need a few more days for the Interiors]. There are several galleries.

Promenade

Pool Deck

Sun Deck

Premier Deck

Funnel & Mast

Decks at Night

Early Morning about Deck

Oceanic at Barcelona

Off Villefranche and again here.

at La Goulette

At Civitavecchia

& Over the aft docking wing

The only interiors I have yet done are of the cabin. There are hundreds of other photos of Oceanic & all the other Cruise Ships & Ferries we came across, and all the Ports of call, indexed on my webpage here. The Fotki links are best viewed using the slideshow options.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 09-10-2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One handsome and classic ship!

One excellent packet of photos!

Thanks.

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 09-10-2005 12:13 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing your photos of one of my favorite ships! My first cruise was on OCEANIC during Home Lines days. From the outer decks, she looks to be kept in good shape.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 09-10-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It feels like being back on board

Willem

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 09-10-2005 12:29 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hard to believe she is 40 years old and appears to be in incredible condition. She is a timeless beauty.
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-10-2005 01:15 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
She is in very good condition, all her railings gleam etc.

On 11th July [2 weeks before us] Legend of the Seas was also berthed at Barcelona with Oceanic. The Captain announced that he was delaying his departure by 15 minutes to allow the Legend to pay its respects to Oceanic as she sailed out of Barcelona. A chap on Legend took a movie clip, whistles blowing & steam coming out.. the clip shows her decks full of pax and is great to watch. I have put it on my website [with permission, I just have to put a tab behind any bar in Glasgow, a pint for everyone who I send it to! ]. You can download it here, a 3.6mb .wmv file. Don't think Mac users can watch? I love it anyway.

Pam

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 09-10-2005 01:32 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
On 11th July [2 weeks before us] Legend of the Seas was also berthed at Barcelona with Oceanic. The Captain announced that he was delaying his departure by 15 minutes to allow the Legend to pay its respects to Oceanic as she sailed out of Barcelona.
Could this mean OCEANIC days are numbered?!

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-10-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No Wayne, he was just letting the 'Old Lady' go first for a change.

Pam

Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 09-10-2005 02:11 PM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waynaro:
Could this mean OCEANIC days are numbered?!

Yes, as the captain told us: at least 10 times 365

Willem van der Leek

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-10-2005 05:40 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the very, very detailed pictures and the movie.
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerdan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4719

posted 09-10-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Linerdan   Email Linerdan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow she one classic looking liner for sure!
Like someone else said a timeless beauty.
Dan.......

PS:Now that we on this board have made a fuss over her and liked her appreance i guess the line will pull her out of service and replace her with a box just to upset us

Posts: 397 | From: Australia.....NSW......Jervis Bay | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 09-11-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oooooohie She looks grand still Pam....Thank you for posting those photos. You remind me of how I go all over a cruise ship looking for Kodak Moments...and for me, that's everywhere. I have photos of the OCEANIC on WebshotsCommunity.com when she was with Premier. Hope to see those interiors you took. It should be very interesting.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
PHILPKH923
First Class Passenger
Member # 4064

posted 09-11-2005 12:10 PM      Profile for PHILPKH923   Email PHILPKH923   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great pics Pam!

BTW would you be a dear and please bring me one of those really tall fizzie drinks plenty of ice please! Viewing the pics, I've worked up a thirst.

...Kenneth...

Posts: 259 | From: Shannondell | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-11-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great pics Pam. OCEANIC is still looking good. I am sad to see the green astro-turf in the midship pool area (I'm sure underneath it is the lovely original stone) and also that blue plastic crap on the aft decks (used to be wood).

At least the lowest aft deck is still wood.

I'm looking forward to the interior shots ... especially those I know you took of the halls, corridors, and stairs! They tend to be my favorite areas to look at as they are usually the most original .... and you always do a great job documenting them.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Vaccaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 465

posted 09-11-2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Vaccaro   Author's Homepage   Email Vaccaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Superb photos Pam, as usual.

OCEANIC is really a fine ship, a sort of "anachronism" these days, that should be preserved for a long time.

According your numerous and detailed photos, she looks very well kept indeed.

Thanks for sharing!

PS: the horn in the movie you mentioned is fantastic too!

Posts: 1193 | From: France ...where the greatest liners ever are born, ...by far! | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-11-2005 04:02 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the kind comments. Oceanic is quite a different experience from anything else, not just as a ship, but the Spanish are a delight to sail with, full of fun/laughter.. but LOUD! No moaning minnies about with glum faces.

Dambrosi I am sure you would be quite 'at home' Much is the same internally as your photos, well most, just different coloured soft furnishings in some areas, not all. The various lounges/bars are all the same names. Even the starred numbers on the cabin doors and the colours have not changed.

One thing I did not notice in your photos was the many stairwell 'bas' metal? reliefs and 'plaster' ones too. I am sure they must be original? I took plenty of photos of these, but did not do it systematically, and found I have ended up with tons of the same ones.. ah well. Johan has a couple of different ones in his galleries.

I suppose the Astroturf is more pratical and less slippy round the wet areas, but rubber teak would be better. The teak decking at the stern, and the Tiki Bar with the steering gear is a lovely area to wake watch.

Pam

[ 09-11-2005: Message edited by: PamM ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-11-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I heard the dining room is very nice.

[ 09-11-2005: Message edited by: Ernst ]

Deck 9 001
First Class Passenger
Member # 1716

posted 09-11-2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Deck 9 001     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pam for the great photos. I am looking forward to the interior shots as well. Brings back many fond memories for me also.

Regards,

Mike--in Taipei and cruising aboard SuperStar GEMINI on Wednesday

Posts: 939 | From: Taipei, Taiwan (originally New York) | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rego007
First Class Passenger
Member # 4632

posted 09-12-2005 02:34 AM      Profile for Rego007     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm beating the dead horse here, but thanks for your contributions on the Oceanic, Pam. Those of us on this side of the pond don't hear much about the old girl anymore. The photos are great and the video is wonderful. It does my heart good to hear her whistle again after all these years!

Oceanic really is defying time. She looks better now than in her Premier days. They took decent care of her, but she was born to have a white hull. I especially like that her current markings are fairly close to her Home Lines color scheme.

As a bit of personification, I've always likened Oceanic to Sophia Loren; she's getting up there in age, but she's still got that certain degree of class and a very easy grace about her. She's damn good and it's almost as if she knows it! Oceanic is one of the few that's aged so well. This is one of the few remaining classic ships I can be very, very passionate about. I view her in much the same light as Rotterdam (V) and France.

Kudos are also in order for RCI's master for letting Oceanic depart first out of Barcelona. It's nice to see respect for the elders. Besides, at her age it's nice to see her still showing the newer kids how it's done! I really do hope that the ten year projection for her is accurate. That may give me time to sail aboard her one last time.

God Bless, Oceanic. You've still got it!

Rego007

Posts: 106 | From: Daytona Beach, FL USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jepp
First Class Passenger
Member # 5576

posted 09-12-2005 09:51 AM      Profile for Jepp   Email Jepp   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is sad as well as surprising that neither the travel arranger nor the crew, in the marketing or the events onboard, take advantage to the fact that the ship is a classic steamer run by turbines making her total quiet and free from vibrations. The only sound is outside from her diesel generators.
Pullmantur´s broshure says “Refurbished 2005” and nothing about vibrationless, silent engines or when she was launched as if the company is ashamed of having a classic ship not looking like block of flats on the sea, instead of using the advantages of steam power.

Jepp

Posts: 158 | From: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 09-12-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For most people a modern ship is probably better than an old one.
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 09-12-2005 10:14 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello Pam
thanks for your many, lovely pics - it is wonderful to see them.

Oceanic looks better than last year. As for those that fear the end is near, I have my doubts as it is clear that there has been refurbishments and repainting.

Especially the Satellite Café has been very well refurbished.
As you can see from my pic in july 2004[IMG]http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1422&CatLevel=&Cat1_ID=&Cat2_ID=&Cat3_ID=&Cat4_ID=&FromSearch=True&SearchPage=%2Ftravelpage%2Faspgaller y%2Fview%5Fuser%5Fads%2Easp%3FUser%5FID%3D690%26Ad%5FID%3D1894[/IMG]
the place looked rather drab, but from Pam's magnificentphotos it is clear that the
Satellite Café has now rather bright murals :
http://magwa.fotki.com/cruising/oceanic_2005/oceanic_-_interiors/satellite_caf/oceanic004-159.html

The soda vending machine is also new : this is now in place (as far as i can put it together) in what was advertised as the Ice Cream Bar (whre there was never ice cream, and where only during lunch pizzas etc were to be had - port aft the magrodome on the Pool deck ?)

The whole ship itself looks newly painted.

Thanks,

Johan

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 09-12-2005 11:20 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Johan I was going to ask you about the Satellite Cafe.. it seems a lot has been done, with the extra central serving stations too. Seems those spidle things were for eating off? Now there are 3 stations down the middle. Large one for salads & condiments, then a dessert one, & by the entrance a fruit one. Main courses and rolls are served from the previous stations either side.

Your photo, then mine

The blue skirting compliments the walls and the whole area is rather bright! I like the fish best..

That drinks station is fwd to starboard, to the right of the Satellite Cafe entrance. Where you were thinking, is nothing. The 'Deli Corner & Pizza' place took a while to work out as it looks like a drinks bar [inside]. They make to order. The ice cream bar [according to the son, is down the stairs from there.. but I think not. I don't recall seeing it, but there definitely was one somewhere, but not mentioned on any bits of paper I have.

Pam

eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 09-12-2005 12:36 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I see more interior pics have been updated. I enjoyed looking at the dining room pics. Parading waiters and passengers waving their linen napkins. Very festive and looks like a typical scene on almost any Carnival Cruise Lines ship during certain theme dinners.

People having a good time and letting their hair down ... that is what modern cruising is all about today. It's a major reason Carnival has been so successful. They figured this out long ago.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 09-12-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks Pam for your reply.

Actually my pic is a bit deceiving, as I took it outside meal hours. Last year there was also that big central table in the middle where the salads, fruits and cakes andpies were served. It was cleared away always, and seemingly replaced by those "parisiennes".
Anyhow it was less cheerful than your pic.
The murals are new (rather good) and also a good sign, I think, for future engagement of the Oceanic.

I never saw an ice cream parlor. As the "Deli" was underused (which was named "Ice Cream Parlor in the deck plans, i think, this was one in Premier days), i assumed it was replaced by the drinks stand.

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.