- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Raffaello Wreck

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raffaello Wreck
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 03-23-2004 10:03 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anybody seen (or has) a photo of the wreck of the Italian Line's Raffaello in Iran and is she completely submerged? Or has she been scrapped?
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ocean Liners
First Class Passenger
Member # 4013

posted 03-23-2004 10:17 PM      Profile for Ocean Liners     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Project Michelangelo

quote:

The would probably have laid there until she would have been sold for scrap, but in 1983, during the Iraq/Iran war, Iraqi bombers hit her and she partially sank in the harbour waters. Not long after a tug accidentally rammed her, finishing off the job the Iraqi had begun. The Raffaello lays on the spot where she sank, and no breaking up of the shipwreck has ever commerced.

[ 03-23-2004: Message edited by: Ocean Liners ]

Posts: 4502 | From: Japan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 03-24-2004 11:07 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fairplay reported in 1994 that SMIT salvage was bidding for the wreck. A very nice picture of the Michelangelo was published in an Oil advertisement for weeks afterwards, which broke my hart.
Nothing more since, the Government f Iran had more urgent planning to do.
With the rebuilding weel underway, they now need to expand the port of Bushir(Busher), and a London-based concern may bid successfully.
They are now working on raising the poor World Discoverer in the Solomon Islands(source: Fairplay again).
IMO, the vessel could not be raised after 21 years, but then again, a WWII German battleship is about to be lifted from the River Plate....
May I day dream that Raffaello avenges Italy by becoming a floating hotel in Lybia?

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aris
First Class Passenger
Member # 1718

posted 03-24-2004 04:10 PM      Profile for Aris   Email Aris   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here are some details on her wreck I found in the web:

"Biggest passenger liner currently on the seabed is the Raffaello (904.6 X 101.9 X 36.2) which, after being bombed by Iraq and half burned out was allowed to sink 17 miles off the Iranian coast in about 120 feet of water. A while back an Iranian tanker grounded on the wreck and was damaged at which point she (Raffaello) was offered for sale as scrap, but at the time there were no takers."

Posts: 82 | From: Athens, Greece | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 03-26-2004 01:13 PM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The question is : is she upright?
Righting and raising a ship after 20 years seems a waiste to me.
I knew a student from Bushir..but he spoke little English..the word for ports in Persian is Bandar!
Michelangelo was moored off Bandar Abbas, probably the port of Abbas.
What key convert websites into Persian???

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly D Payne
First Class Passenger
Member # 4205

posted 03-31-2004 01:59 PM      Profile for Kelly D Payne   Email Kelly D Payne   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are there any pictures of the wreck?
Posts: 57 | From: louisville ky | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-02-2004 03:59 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not Raffaello but, here's a sad photo of Michelangelo.....

Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-02-2004 04:03 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a shot of Raffaello after she rammed the Norwegian tanker, Cuyahoga, in May of 1970

Russ

linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-02-2004 04:13 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not wreck shots of Raffaelo I know but, these pics do prove just how cruel fate can be and was to these two lovely ships.....

Russ

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited by: linerguy ]

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited by: linerguy ]

sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 04-06-2004 07:04 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There might be hope of raising Raffaello from Bushir harbour after 20 years..
Just read about the battleship Admiral Graf Spee wreck to be raised from the River Plate, in South America after 60 years!
This is of course the work of military enthusiast hoping to preserve a rare historic ship, that liners are fast becoming..
So there might be hope after all...
but not too soon... it could be too valuable for scrappers!

sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 04-15-2004 12:06 PM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
After much interesting search on the magnificent and historic Persian town of bushere, I can see why the Raf wreck may just lay where she is.
The russians were building a nuclear plant there in 1999.
A museum about Delvar, a local hero who fought british troops in 1915 may be the only artistic curiosity.
Never realised that Bushere was so close to Irak...

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-15-2004 03:51 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well if she is in 120 feet of water and if she sank upright, I would guess only the her mast and maybe her funnels would be out of the water. If a tug hit the wreck and finally finished her off, maybe the water is not quite as deep as previously reported. If she is on her side and completely submerged, the water would have to be deeper than 101 feet. Since she has been submerged for so long, I assume the wreck is quickly rusting away.
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 04-16-2004 01:35 PM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My memory fails me, but I saw a picture of World Discoverer being raised from the Solomon Islands in Fairplay a while back..
She had become quite lucrative for some diving ventures, now very sorry!
Was Raffaello ever dived?
Surely for raising purposes, they must have taken pictures and evaluated the damage?
May be Raffy could be the next best dive in Persia?
Bushere nuke plant workers may afford such leisure...

mk bortoluzzi
Just Boarded
Member # 5299

posted 01-03-2005 01:14 PM      Profile for mk bortoluzzi   Email mk bortoluzzi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Raffaello seems to be still unrecovered, badly damage d and rusty at the entrance of Bushir where she sunk in feb 1983, hit by Iraqi's and then rammed by iranian freighter IRANIAN SALAM 4 years later, on feb 1987. The wreckage of Raf badly damaged the hull of the Iranian freighter.

MB

Posts: 1 | From: venice- italy | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 01-05-2005 01:26 AM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information mk bortoluzzi, welcome aboard.

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 01-05-2005 09:01 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I found this interesting little tidbit on the site as well:
quote:
May 1970 Raffaello was once again involved in an accident when she accidentally collided with the Norwegian tanker Cuyahoga in Algeciras Bay, on the southern coast of Spain. Luckily there were no casualties, but Raffaello's crossing was canceled and her bow needed to be repaired at Gibraltar. After ship accident she suffered no more major accident during her career.
During the same year the Raffaello made naval history for the only time in her life. Even though the Royal Carribeean lines claims that their Voyager Of The Seas was the first ship to have an on-board ice rink, this is not true. In 1970 the Raffaello's theatre was converted into an ice rink, and an American family was contracted to perform ice skating shows to the passengers.

That was on the site and incredible that they would put an ice rink on board this fabulous ship. Wonder if RCI knows they are'nt the first to put an ice rink on their ships?

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 01-05-2005 10:18 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow!
I am greatful to learn this most interesting Ice-ring story onboard Raf!
The Shah of Iran widow, Farah Dibba, is most admired in France, where she was addressed as Iran's Empress in a recent interview.
This led me to speculate if TAG, the French-based lebanese company(brokers?) who sold ssFrance to NCL, was also involved in Mike and Raf?
I still think the surveyors who went to inspect the ships in Iran and found rats and immense technical challenge were influence by other factors than the war.
So far, few pictures of the ships in Iran were published, and they were Ship of the State to the end!

Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 01-05-2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sslewis:
Wow!
I am greatful to learn this most interesting Ice-ring story onboard Raf!
The Shah of Iran widow, Farah Dibba, is most admired in France, where she was addressed as Iran's Empress in a recent interview.

So far, few pictures of the ships in Iran were published, and they were Ship of the State to the end!

I seem to remember, but can't find it back, that many years ago, ships monthly published a picture of the burned-out wreck of one of the sisters.

About being there no pictures : the end of the seventies was a rather "disturbing" time in the Shah's Iran. As they were barracks for army/navy officers, they will have been considered as "secret", so not much pictures I imagine.

After the revolution, they were maligned symbols of the Shahs's "wicked ways of the west", and certainly not beloved or of interested to both people in power, the army or other iranians.

Beautiful ships, but built too late, and not in tune with their times, alas...

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 01-06-2005 09:59 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Johan,
I see your point.
A recent TV series about the life of Soyara, the Shah's infertile first wife and the intense media attention about the former Empress makes me speculate that many Iranians will publish memoirs, hopefully with some interesting pictures.
Who knows, they might insipres some movies?
You can buy a video of Michelangelo construction and trials in the US.
In Bill Miller's Passenger liners : Italian style, details of the state of the ships could only come from Marine Surveyors inspecting the ship.
The picture in a late 1992 Ship's Monthly was Michelangelo at Gadani(she was beached in July 1992).
I found strange that she was partially dismantled (what would Iran need aluminium for?).
She also managed to pass the Strait of Ormuz at a time when tankers were at risk.
By then Raffaello must have been broken on the spot.

sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 12-23-2005 11:01 PM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hear on another forum that wahtever is left of the wreck is still visible from Google Earth!
I had a go at it but can't send a link....anybody?
Iran used to have 40 cruise ships a year and is seeking a slow return on the tourism maps....

lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 12-23-2005 11:23 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sslewis:
I hear on another forum that wahtever is left of the wreck is still visible from Google Earth!
I had a go at it but can't send a link....anybody?
Iran used to have 40 cruise ships a year and is seeking a slow return on the tourism maps....

What appears to be a wreck of a large ship is off the coast of Bushehr, Iran. The wreck is located at 29 00' 02.6 75N 50 50' 45. 14 E . It may or may not be Raffaello as it seems to be smaller than a 900 ft vessel according to some posts. Also w/comparisons to ships such as the SS United States (also very clearly seen on Google Earth and docked in Philadelphia) the submerged hull in Iran looks much smaller. I also looked up the SS Independence and she was still docked in Vallejo, California when the Google pics were taken. The 683' Indy looks larger than the submerged hull as well.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.