- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line said today that while rescue and remediation efforts continue in Baltimore Harbor following the collapse of the Key Bridge, it will temporarily move Carnival Legend’s Baltimore operations to Norfolk, Virginia. Carnival Legend is scheduled to return from its current voyage on Sunday, March 31. It will now return to Norfolk on Sunday, and guests will...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc today announced it has signed an agreement with Meyer Werft shipyard for a fifth Excel-class cruise ship for its namesake Carnival Cruise Line brand, with the delivery set for 2028. In mid-February Carnival Corporation had announced the first newbuild order placed in five years with news that a fourth Excel-class ship would join the Carnival Cruise Line...

Latest News...Four Seasons, together with luxury yachting company Marc-Henry Cruise Holdings Ltd, Joint Owner/Operator, Four Seasons Yachts, and venerated Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri, continues to chart a new course of luxury at sea. As momentum builds towards the inaugural season of Four Seasons Yachts, the first 10 unique voyages are unveiled, each inviting travellers to make the iconic islands...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Nieuw Amsterdam II model.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nieuw Amsterdam II model.
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 11-21-2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

I’ve started to scratch building a 1:600 scaled model of Holland America Line’s, Nieuw Amsterdam II. This ship has always been one of my favourite classic HAL ships. She was well proportioned and had all the features of a grand super liner without being overly don.
When she was elected as the best ship of the century a couple of years ago, I had the plan to build her as a model only now I feel confident enough to do so. Ill probably give her the post WWII livery with the grey hull.

I’m still in the early stages and I’m currently working on her hull.

Best, Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 11-21-2003 10:24 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice Onno! Can't wait to see the progress.
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 11-22-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hallo Onno.

Great that you built the Nieuw Amsterdam 2 in 1:600 scale. I'm excitited how the model would looks. I think great. You want to paint the hull gray with the yellow ribbon. I preffer the black hull she looks more statly. I always like the black hulls off the HAL the gray hulls wold fit better an a freighter. But oke my taste. So happy that the are now midnight bleu and not gray.

Onno heel veel succes met jou nieuwe model.

Ben.

How is your progress on the QM2.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 11-22-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno and Bennie,

The restaurant at the Hotel New York has a one metre model of the NAII on display in a glass case.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-05-2004 06:45 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

A little progress regarding my Nieuw Amsterdam model! I created the two droplet shaped funnels of the lady. Also painted her in typical HAL yellow livery with green/white/green bands.

Best, Onno

PS: Desirod, it has been a while since I saw that model in Hotel New York. I remember it is a lighted model, maybe I take a look on my next visit to Rotterdam.

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-05-2004 10:09 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like always, great job Onno!
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-06-2004 03:36 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
Onno and Bennie,

The restaurant at the Hotel New York has a one metre model of the NAII on display in a glass case.

Yes i have seen this model many times, buth it's not a very good model. The maritime museum in Rotterdam have some very beautifful models in there collection. One have even lights.

Onno the funnels are spooky real i also can't wait to see the results.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-06-2004 03:45 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
Onno and Bennie,

Yes i have seen this model many times, buth it's not a very good model. The maritime museum in Rotterdam have some very beautifful models in there collection. One have even lights.

Onno the funnels are spooky real i also can't wait to see the results. Do you no that the steam whistles off the Nieuw Amsterdam 2 are in Delft at TU. and they are opperating. I believe some years ago the have where used at the opening off a new building. (the Statendam 3 wistles are also safed and used in 1959 at the opening off the Groot Handels Gebouw in Rotterdam)

Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-06-2004 05:27 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That’s new for me Ben! I didn’t know they survived. I don’t go to Delft too often but last year I was in Delft showing my portfolio at a design firm that actually was located on the grounds of the TU (Technical University). If I had known I would have tried to find the whistles.

Best, Onno

jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 02-07-2004 01:35 AM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hey onno....i too can't wait to see the progress of your "nieuw amsterdam II" model......once my "QM2" model is finished (98% complete) i'm gonna place her in a box frame for the wall......then i think i'm gonna give it a try on building the "michelangelo" next.......if i ever get to holland for a visit....we should connect.....would be very interested on seeing your collection......jeff
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-07-2004 02:30 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Onno:
That’s new for me Ben! I didn’t know they survived. I don’t go to Delft too often but last year I was in Delft showing my portfolio at a design firm that actually was located on the grounds of the TU (Technical University). If I had known I would have tried to find the whistles.

Best, Onno

Hi Onno i'm starting a search on internet to find out where they are today. It's possible that they are not in Delft anymore ore i heve the location wrong. Still they are around and sounded grand and majestic a treu ocean liner whistle.

Iff i have found anything about the whistles i post and mail it to you.

Ben.

Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-26-2004 01:57 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I posted a couple more progress pictures in the gallery. I’m working on the superstructure, pretty difficult to get the sheer of the decks.

Onno

Gallery

Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-06-2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

It has been a while but this weekend I had some spare time and I started working again on my scratch build Nieuw Amsterdam II model. I finished off the hull which can be detailed further now with the anchors and gangway hatches. The superstructure is getting along as well.

Here and in the GALLERY are a couple of pictures I took yesterday.

Onno

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 12-06-2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looking good Onno. Is that the Rotterdam V's hull next to the model in the last picture?

Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-06-2005 09:26 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Thad,

No It’s not the Rotterdam V, It’s the hull of the Kungsholm 1966 (my latest scratch build project) later on I will be posting some pictures of that model too.

Onno

Italianliners
First Class Passenger
Member # 5446

posted 12-06-2005 09:57 AM      Profile for Italianliners   Email Italianliners   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

GREAT JOB! The models are very detailed. Since i never could see one model like that i have some questions: Which material are they made (wood?)? What the size they could have? Does these things sell in internet? Is it very expensive to built one good model? Thanks for your attention.

I hope to see new photos!

Italianliners

Posts: 272 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 12-06-2005 10:24 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Italianliners:
Hello,

GREAT JOB! The models are very detailed. Since i never could see one model like that i have some questions: Which material are they made (wood?)? What the size they could have? Does these things sell in internet? Is it very expensive to built one good model? Thanks for your attention.

I hope to see new photos!

Italianliners

Hi Italianliners,

Over the years I have described my model technique on CT several times. Basically these models are completely scratch build by myself (they are one of a kind and aren’t for sell on the internet) After having build the few commercial Airfix/Revell model kits and I had a desire for ship models that are simply not available I started building my own models. I kept the same scale (1:600) as the Airfix model kits (it’s a nice scale not too small and not too large)

I currently have scratch build the QM2 (back then there wasn’t yet a model kit on the market) Normandie, Q3, Andrea Doria, Spirit of London, Nieuw Amsterdam II (in progress) Potsdam II (fantasy ship) and currently Kungsholm.

Materials: Probably for 92% my models are made out of cardboard (several thickness) plaster and putty to smoothen the hull, plastic for small parts. I use whatever I can, used model kit parts etc. With paint techniques I bring the models to live (the decks are not wood but white cardboard with paint technique) the materials I use are not at all expensive.

It is useful if I have a framing plan or GA plans for shaping the hull, for all the other details and shapes I simply look at pictures of the ship (it is handy to do a lot of visual research)

Here are some more links to my model galleries:

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=352

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1185

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=503

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1465

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1162

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=860

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1118

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1685

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpage/aspgallery/view_ad.asp?Ad_ID=1687

Thad
First Class Passenger
Member # 1224

posted 12-06-2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Thad   Email Thad   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno,
the 1966 Kungsholm will be exciting to see come together. Good luck with her.
Thad

Posts: 1967 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 12-06-2005 02:42 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno great great great.

She begins to look more and more the Grand Dame, Darling of the Dutch. You begin to be a legend in making 1:600 scratch models.

Cane wait to see the final result (black Hull)

Greetings Ben.

Italianliners
First Class Passenger
Member # 5446

posted 12-06-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Italianliners   Email Italianliners   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno - The Michelangelo Of Ship's Models

I can't believe that you build these incredibles models with only your mind and some pieces of paper (cardboard)! The details of QEII and Andrea Doria are upstanding and marvelous! You are a real artist, since the designs to the models.

Italianliners

Posts: 272 | From: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 5201

posted 12-06-2005 07:16 PM      Profile for Jonathan   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Onno,

How, and what do you make these models out of?

Jonathan

Posts: 559 | From: Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 01-13-2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi all,
it has been a while and several model sessions further the model looks like this. Added so much details and still as many left to do as well.

Best, Onno

[ 01-13-2011: Message edited by: Onno ]

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 01-14-2011 12:02 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What superb craftsmanship! I wish I had such talent. It looks quite beautiful. Well done!
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 01-14-2011 05:13 PM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hey onne...great work!!
you once told me how to make the lifeboats, but can't remember...my michelangelo and normandie still need them...thanks mate, jeff

Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.