- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Pursuit of the wealthy?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pursuit of the wealthy?
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-08-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Statement: "Cruising is still a pursuit of the wealthy"

Please feel free to discuss!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
jmfleser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1141

posted 05-08-2001 10:25 AM      Profile for jmfleser   Email jmfleser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I cruise and lord knows I'm not wealthy. So there goes that theory.
Posts: 183 | From: Esperance, NY USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 05-08-2001 11:05 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting statement Malcolm.

Cruising use to be an activity that only the wealthy could afford. I guess you have to determine what "wealthy" is today. When you look at the World as a whole, anyone who owns an automobile, lives in their own home or in an apartment, has a refrigerator, eats three meals a day, has a job....would be considered wealthy. So I would say that anyone who has the disposable income to be able to spend it on a cruise vacation....would still be considered wealthy according to the "World population" as a whole.

So live it up and rejoice!!! If you can afford to go on a cruise, consider yourself very priviledged and wealthy.

Wealth is relative though. I have seen some who even by the "World's" standards are very poor, but they are very wealthy in spirit.

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-11-2001 04:23 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that the term wealthy is open to different definitions.

However, I don't think Cruising in the UK is really a 'mass' market product as yet. It is still an expensive vacation in my opinion.
There are not too many European cruises on offer for less than £1200 ($1700) for a basic cabin. This is significantly higher than the cost of the average air/hotel holiday in Europe, even when food is taken ito account.

Even the so called 'budget' cruises lines such as Airtours are far from cheap!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Fanatic
First Class Passenger
Member # 1427

posted 05-11-2001 11:15 AM      Profile for Fanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes and no. Cruising, today, is the most affordable way to travel, if one takes into account everything included in the price and decides to book in a less expensive cabin and not in high season. Even in high season, it's still a bargain. However, if one wants to book a higher-grade cabin or suite, or chose a line that caters more to the affluent, one may do so. It seems that some of the lines are allowing for greater diversity, such as now including special restaurants for the exclusive use of some passengers with more bucks. It's a way of restoring First and Cabin/Tourist classes without calling it that.

Fanatic

bostom
First Class Passenger
Member # 1628

posted 05-11-2001 11:36 AM      Profile for bostom   Email bostom   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE] "Cruising is still a pursuit of the wealthy"

Yup, by the shipping companies.

Posts: 93 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-11-2001 12:39 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fanatic:
Yes and no. Cruising, today, is the most affordable way to travel, if one takes into account everything included in the price and decides to book in a less expensive cabin and not in high season.

I'm not sure this is the case with European Cruises? Do any Brits/Europeans agree with me?

kimberley
First Class Passenger
Member # 1888

posted 05-11-2001 05:30 PM      Profile for kimberley   Email kimberley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Malcolm, here in the UK we don't have a lot of competition with different cruise companies. I am certainly not wealthy but enjoy my cruises. I don't smoke or drink but look forward to my holidays. I think we all spend months planning, reading these boards each day, and whilst doing so, we visit parts of the world we dream about without leaving our own homes. I spent nights looking at all the brochures and look forward to that day I board that plane. Yes cruising is definately value for money but what makes it expensive is the cost of bringing children. From the UK, a child can be charged £1100 by some cruise companies which for a 7 year old I find rediculous, especially if you have 2 kids.All that money and you share a cabin mainly in lower and upper bunks!!!

In the UK we don't have the privilege of price guarantee, so if the price of the cruise goes down you pay the lower price, but not in the UK. Here you pay the price which you agreed to when you booked. If you should cancel your cruise you forfeit the deposit which is 10% of the fare, even more if it is closer to your sailing date.
I normally go to All Inclusive hotels and have been to various places like Goa, Jamaica and Mexico. All of which I have considered value for money and not for the wealthy. Nearly all have given excellent kids prices at about 40% of a cruise price. What a cruise offers me is a great hotel, with a changing senery, entertainment and excellent food, for which I can't think of any other holiday which can offer all these things. Yes cruising can offer one of the most offordable ways of travelling but this is only really true if you have a lot of healthy competition so the cruise fare is kept at reasonable level. Without this competition the cruise companies can charge what they like making some cruises only for the wealthy or those without kids.
How many of you have been upgraded when there has been 4 sharing in your cabin, probably not many. I would be interested to know. perhaps we should do a poll on it.

Have a great weekend
Kimberley

Posts: 24 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fanatic
First Class Passenger
Member # 1427

posted 05-11-2001 05:47 PM      Profile for Fanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't know it was like that where you are, Kimberly. I'm now curious - would it be more affordable for you to take a cruise somewhere in the Americas, like the Carribean, Alaska, New England, etc., than cruising around Europe? I just find it surprising, I mean the difference in cost. Kinda as a sideline, I went with friends to Malta about a month ago for an incredible bargain. Airfare from New York to Valleta was only $600 roundtrip, and we stayed for almost two weeks in one of the best resorts for only $1,000. You can't go to Disney World for the same amount of time and travel for that.

Fanatic

kimberley
First Class Passenger
Member # 1888

posted 05-11-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for kimberley   Email kimberley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fanatic, For the All Inclusive vacations I have booked they average out about £3300, generally 4-5*, obviously Goa in India was a lot cheaper. The last cruise I booked was for the med, for 7 days, flying to Majorca, which is under 2 hours for me. Inside standard cabin, again all inclusive with Thomsons Topaz ( the lower end of the market if you know what I mean !!, but still great ) that was £2000. I have booked for the caribbean next march for 15 nights and that is £4000 for 2 adults and 2 children. So it doesn't work out that much less expensive. I think next time I book I will try and book with a American cruise agent, no doubt they could probably get me a better deal. Especially if the cruise goes from say Miami as the airfare to Florida isn't too bad from the UK. Has anybosy from the UK booked a cruise only with an American cruise Agent and was everything ok. If I paid with visa would I be OK ?
Thanks
Kimberley

Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-11-2001 06:39 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kimberley:
Here you pay the price which you agreed to when you booked. If you should cancel your cruise you forfeit the deposit which is 10% of the fare, even more if it is closer to your sailing date..................
How many of you have been upgraded when there has been 4 sharing in your cabin, probably not many. I would be interested to know. perhaps we should do a poll on it.
Have a great weekend
Kimberley

Hi - Do you mean that you forfeit the deposit even if you cancel 'for cause', i.e. illness with Medical certificate, death in family etc? Surely that would be covered by you Cancellation Insurance which, in Canada, must be purchased at time of deposit. To my knowledge, some Lines, but not all, do refund the deposit because of a mind change.
For a hefty premium, some Lines sell a protection plan allowing you to back out of the deal about 2 days before sailing with no medical reason required - but - if you have a problem the day before sailing or on your way to join the ship, you have no coverage unless you also bought regular Cancellation Insurance - both premiums non-refundable - big bucks/pounds! They get you coming and going!

Re upgrades - see my post 'Category Upgrades' on the Cruise Line Board.

Happy cruisin'

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
kimberley
First Class Passenger
Member # 1888

posted 05-12-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for kimberley   Email kimberley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green,
According to the P & O brochure in front of me. If I cancel because of death, injury or illness of the passenger, close relative, business colleague or person with whom the passenger had planned to travel with the insurance will give back any monies paid minus £50 ( $80 )per adult, so really the answer is yes, you loose most of your deposit. If you were to just change your mind you loose your deposit paid!!! If the insurance company was to pay out because you became ill, you couldn't then go and book a different holiday as you may not be insured, as you knew there was a posiblity that you may have to cancel in the near future. So really in the UK there is no way around loosing a minium of your deposit 10% of cruise fare.
Kimberley

fondaenergy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1641

posted 05-13-2001 06:37 AM      Profile for fondaenergy   Email fondaenergy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think cruising is for the wealthy any more.

It was prior to the 1950's. Then it was a means of crossing the ocean since airplanes were not available for everyone.

The cost of cruising is really comparable to a land-based vacation. If my husband and I went cross county, we would have to pay for air (same as a cruise), hotel, food, transportation, and entertainment. The per diem for this would be as high or even higher than the balacony cabins that we usually book on a cruise.

Posts: 177 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-13-2001 08:46 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can fly from London to Miami for a cruise cheaper tham I can cruise Europe from Dover or Southampton, which I can drive to! Supply and demand they say, plus some price-fixing, me thinks!

It is the shore tours that really bump up the price of a cruise. If you do a land based tour, you either get the side-trips included, or maybe pay £10-15 for each. On a cruise you can pay you entire cruise-fare again, if you took every shore trip!

Lets be honest Cruise Lines are masters at providing you every temptation to spend your money onboard! The photographs for example, are a clever trick. They even take one before you get onboard!

desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-13-2001 10:48 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:
I can fly from London to Miami for a cruise cheaper tham I can cruise Europe from Dover or Southampton,

It is the shore tours that really bump up the price of a cruise. If you do a land based tour, you either get the side-trips included, or maybe pay £10-15 for each. On a cruise you can pay you entire cruise-fare again, if you took every shore trip!

Lets be honest Cruise Lines are masters at providing you every temptation to spend your money onboard

Malcolm,

Well fly to Miami in winter or NYC in summer for your next cruise. Those cities are major airports and cruise ports. Air Talk can get you good fares.

The pound is strong against the dollar.

If more Europeans did that, the European operators will eventually lower their prices.

Americans on cruises are intrigued by Europeans, you will have fun.

Think of yourself as Margaret Mead on an anthropological study when you run into people not like yourself

The Rembrandt and Norway had a small contingent of European passengers.

It is unfortunate that most cruise lines have diluted their ethnic flavor to cater to the mass market. In the old days [pre 1980] you knew you were on an British, Italian, Greek, Dutch, German, or French ship.

One way to avoid spending too much is to pack light, that way you know it is hard to haul back. I also make a list of what I want to buy on board beforehand, and do so.

I always avoid guided tours. It is like someone tasting your food for you then describing it.

Get guidebooks of the ports, "Lets Go" and "Rough Guides" are my favorite. 'Fodors' and 'Frommers' cater to an older traveler.

It is most fun to find your way on your own.

In New England, most of what is interesting to see and do is within walking distance to ship, or within mass transit. Example Block Island, one can rent bicycles.

The Caribbean Islands I have seen, taxi's for private tours, and local tours are not outrageously priced.

Car rental is not good since local driving habits are scary.

There is nothing of great historical interest to me on most of the islands. Some islands have beautiful natural fauna. I do not miss not seeing everything.

[ 05-13-2001: Message edited by: desirod6 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-13-2001 06:16 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi -

I'm particularly interested in your posts Kimberley because we are seriously looking a P&O for a future cruise. The brochure is fast becoming dogeared.

Nowhere have I read that we must purchase insurance from the cruise line (we never have in the past). P&O's brochure states, in part -
"……if such insurance is not effected through P&O, details of suitable alternative insurance, which must as a minimum include medical and repatriation coverage for £2 million, must be provided at the time of booking."
That seems fair.

The brochure goes on to state -
"P&O's confirmation of a booking shall not affect the right of the Passenger to amend or cancel the booking or to transfer to another holiday in the brochure (subject to availability) subject however in all cases to P&O's right to make a charge for administration and/or additional costs incurred as a result." -
That too seems fair. It does give P&O the right to charge a fee but it does not say that it will - there's a diference.

quote:
Originally posted by kimberley:
Green,
If you were to just change your mind you loose your deposit paid!!! If the insurance company was to pay out because you became ill, you couldn't then go and book a different holiday as you may not be insured, as you knew there was a posiblity that you may have to cancel in the near future.
Kimberley

What's wrong with that - you are expected to be honest about the state of your health when you book and buy insurance for any vacation. No insurance company will pay out until your medical and/or other pertinent records have been checked and it is established that you did fully intend to make the trip being unaware of any upcoming illness or reason to cancel. With respect, Kimberley, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
kimberley
First Class Passenger
Member # 1888

posted 05-14-2001 05:02 PM      Profile for kimberley   Email kimberley   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Green, I totally agree with you regarding the insurance, you certainly can't have your cake and eat it. What I was trying to get at is which ever way you look at it is if you were to cancel and change your mind regarding the cruise you will have to forfeit
money. It could be the min excess in your insurance policy ( because of medical cancellation ) or in the case of changing your mind your 10% deposit.What I was doing was comparing booking here in the UK and in the USA. From what I understand in the USA if the cruise is reduced in price you can take advantage of it and even go to a new TA. Over here you lose your deposit.
From what I also understand you don't have to buy P & O 's insurance. The law was change about 3 years ago. TA used to make you buy their insurance in order to take advantage of discounts, this has since changed. When I booked the P & O cruise I wasn't even asked did I want insurance. I take out a yearly policy anyway, as it is far cheaper as I am not wealthy!!. Green, I hope I didn't offend you or anyone else with my comments.
Do you get the same brochure as we do in the UK?.
With regard with
:-The brochure goes on to state -
"P&O's confirmation of a booking shall not affect the right of the Passenger to amend or cancel the booking or to transfer to another holiday in the brochure (subject to availability) subject however in all cases to P&O's right to make a charge for administration and/or additional costs incurred as a result." -
That too seems fair. It does give P&O the right to charge a fee but it does not say that it will - there's a diference.
But it does go on to say that where a booking is cancelled CLAUSE 17 will apply. This gives a table of cancellation charges. The minium being the forfeit of your deposit.

What do you read in to the above, what does it really mean. Does it mean that I can rebook and take advantage of the lower costs?

Thanks

Kimberley

bubbles
First Class Passenger
Member # 1415

posted 05-16-2001 05:19 PM      Profile for bubbles   Email bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We have travelled with P&O several times and have never taken their insurance we have our own annual policy. There is a space on the booking form for you to furnish your own insurance details.

There are always deals to be had, even in the UK. It is difficult however if your needs are for the few four berth cabins when any ship goes on sale the top and bottom grades are always the first to go. Deals are easier to come by if you can be flexible, however good the deal we still end up paying at least the same in pounds sterling that US citizens pay in dollars. Our best deal was on Legend of the Seas £495 per person for a week flying to Barcelona and cruising back to the UK.

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-19-2001 01:36 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bubbles:
...we still end up paying at least the same in pounds sterling that US citizens pay in dollars.

If my maths is right, that equals paying approximately 40%!

And we earn less on average, and pay more for everything else too!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.