- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...The Liverpool Waterfront will be the setting for an unforgettable celebration on June 3, as iconic Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli joins a stellar line-up of performers to celebrate Queen Anne's maiden call to its spiritual home.Bocelli will be joined by an impressive line-up of Liverpool's finest talent, including the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and performers from the Liverpool..

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has welcomed its 1,250-guest ship, Marina, back into service after undergoing an all-encompassing refurbishment, which includes the addition of three new dining options. Guests aboard Marina can now enjoy the culinary delights of Aquamar Kitchen, the new wellness-focused dining venue, which debuted to great acclaim on...

Latest News...Celebrity Cruises takes the suite life to new heights with new premium and personalized enhancements for The Retreat, providing the most elevated experience at sea. Offering more perks and amenities than ever before, The Retreat isn't just a suite. It's the most elevated experience at sea, period. "At The Retreat, the world really does revolve around our guests," said Laura Hodges Bethge..

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Dress Sense? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dress Sense?
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-03-2001 07:21 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've not posted a light hearted post for a while, so here goes:

Dress code is always a controversial subject. Have you ever seen somebody inappropriately dressed for dinner, on a Cruise ship? Maybe they were severely underdressed or perhaps they were very overdressed? Lets here those stories!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 05-03-2001 08:13 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, the guy (and sometimes his wife), who wore a cap with "Oh Shit" printed on it. Wore it on formal nights when he sat with the CE for dinner and when he met the Captain at the Welcome Aboard Cocktail party. He thought it was funny but no one else did.

There have been other instances, but this one stands out in my mind.

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-03-2001 10:46 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm:

Dress code is always a controversial subject. Have you ever seen somebody inappropriately dressed for dinner, on a Cruise ship? Maybe they were severely underdressed or perhaps they were very overdressed? Lets here those stories!

Malcolm,

I wear nice shorts, sneaks, and colored T-shirts on the ship, in the evening I put on
a button down or polo shirt, and no shorts.

I do not like to wear business attire of formal wear on vacation.

There are 2 types of traveler: those that pack lightly and those who wish they did.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colin
First Class Passenger
Member # 1676

posted 05-04-2001 04:04 AM      Profile for Colin   Email Colin   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This reminds me of the man who objected to the restaurant dress code on QE2 (jacket and tie every night). It is in the brochure, it's in the literature that comes with your tickets, it's in the daily programme and there are notices outside the restaurants.

He turned up in a t-shirt and was stopped at the door. So he went back to his cabin, changed, and came back to the restaurant wearing a jacket and tie but minus his trousers, obviously expecting to be stopped at the door again. The restaurant manager called his bluff, made no comment whatsoever, and led him to his table. He only tried this once.

Posts: 283 | From: Inverness, Scotland | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-04-2001 06:11 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very funny stories

I suppose I'm about to upset some of the ladies here? But here goes anyway:

I think those highly sequinned tops that some Ladies buy and wear on American cruise ships are so funny! On my first cruise I saw them all for sale in the ship-shop, I remember saying "Who on earth would buy or wear these?". When we had our first formal meal, I found out: it was 80% of the Women aboard!

I suppose it a matter of taste and culture, but from a British point of view they are so 'tacky' - imagine the Queen or the late Princess Di wearing one! The women often look like Christmas trees! However, I suppose they match the interior of the modern ships?

Although I appreciate a women's right to wear what she wants, in my opinion a 65 year old woman in a backless, bra-less, low cut evening dress is not a pretty sight either!

I suppose I'm being ageist, but it just my opinion. Luckily us Men just become more distingished as we get older.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 05-04-2001 07:36 AM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am glad to find that Malcolm joins the exclusive club that we share for not being male chauvanists.

Possibly we can extend this subject to the dress code of those going ashore.

Last fall, we were first to dock in St Georges, Bermuda. We were in the town square when an NCL ship that had arrived later disgorged its mass of humanity.

This is hard to describe, but many may have seen similar spectacles and identify with the show. The noise level gradually increased as the mob approached down the causeway.

To the point, in the absence of a dress code the sight was astounding. It included large numbers of massively overweight young ladies wearing tight highly colored clothing.

Males, barechested, carrying T shirts showing massive tattooed muscles with equally large bellies. Shorts in this case were draped in such a way as to barely cover the pubic area.

The teenage mob closely competed.Starting from the top, this comprised; reversed baseball cap, XXXL tee shirt together with shorts draped to the knees. Chains jangled from pockets with no apparent purpose. An on board fad had obviously lead many to buy oversized dark glasses with multicolored rims.

Capping it all of as a young mother, meeting the dress code, wheeling twins in a carriage wearing junior editions of the humungous sunglasses.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-04-2001 09:25 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by topgun:

Last fall, we were first to dock in St Georges, Bermuda. We were in the town square when an NCL ship that had arrived later disgorged its mass of humanity.

To the point, in the absence of a dress code the sight was astounding. It included large numbers of massively overweight young ladies wearing tight highly colored clothing.

Males, barechested, carrying T shirts showing massive tattooed muscles with equally large bellies. Shorts in this case were draped in such a way as to barely cover the pubic area.

The teenage mob closely competed.Starting from the top, this comprised; reversed baseball cap, XXXL tee shirt together with shorts draped to the knees. Chains jangled from pockets with no apparent purpose. An on board fad had obviously lead many to buy oversized dark glasses with multicolored rims.

Capping it all of as a young mother, meeting the dress code, wheeling twins in a carriage wearing junior editions of the humungous sunglasses.

No surprise

That is what you get when you go to the lowest common denominator tourist destinations. The Caribbean Islands are boring. You did not mention the ship.

In Bali; the Miami beach of Australia, the natives wear multi-colored gowns, men too.
The tourists wear little, and the nude beaches, clothing is a moot point.

If you want to see a higher class of people and clothing, take a more exotic itinerary.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-04-2001 11:32 AM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod6:
No surprise

That is what you get when you go to the lowest common denominator tourist destinations.

By no stretch of the imagination could Bermuda be considered 'a lowest common denominator destination' - have you ever been there?

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-04-2001 11:42 AM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi topgun -

We haven't been in Bermuda for about 3 years now - has it really sunk so low?

As for the 'on backwards baseball caps', they are an abomination everywhere!
I often wonder of some of those really fat people every look in a mirror - particularly for a rear view - they are not a pretty sight

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-04-2001 12:05 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Green:
Hi topgun -

some of those really fat people every look in a mirror - particularly for a rear view - they are not a pretty sight

People with eating addictions gravitate to cruises because of all the 'free' food. To eat that much at home or a land based destination ala carte would cost a fortune.

PS: Saw a fat woman wearing a T-shirt with a full size picture of a skinny model type while waiting for a tender on the Norway.

Better than the 400lber on the Queen Anna Maria in 1971 wearing Mary Tyler Moore pants suits LOL

nullHe turned up in a t-shirt and was stopped at the door. So he went back to his cabin, changed, and came back to the restaurant wearing a jacket and tie but minus his trousers, obviously expecting to be stopped at the door again. The restaurant manager called his bluff, made no comment whatsoever, and led him to his table. He only tried this once.

Hope he had something worth looking at LOL

Seriously: On formal nights I wear warm weather business casual

[ 05-04-2001: Message edited by: desirod6 ]

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 05-04-2001 01:10 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
desirod6 - I agree with Green - by no stretch of the imagination should you compare Bermuda to a Caribbean island and it certainly is not "one of the lowest common denominator tourist destinations".
You have to have "big bucks" and refereces to live there.
Another point - Bermuda is not considered one of the Caribbean islands.

KansasK
First Class Passenger
Member # 1758

posted 05-04-2001 02:01 PM      Profile for KansasK   Email KansasK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While walking to the Captain's cocktail party, another couple was a short distance ahead of us. He was going through all sorts of odd gyrations while walking and we finally realized that he was losing the pants to his tuxedo and was making a grab for them and then was tucking in his shirt. As we got closer to the entry to the party, the crowd condensed, and he commented to us that he had lost a lot of weight and his tux did not fit anymore! We lost track of them, and I hope the poor guy did not try to do any dancing!
Posts: 126 | From: Overland Park, Kansas USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
topgun
First Class Passenger
Member # 928

posted 05-04-2001 04:15 PM      Profile for topgun     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Concerning Bermuda, I have never thought of this as being an Island in the Caribbean.

A cruise to Bermuda will not probably be to the liking of many. There is no great shopping and most get bored with being docked for three days. Many children do not like this for similar reasons.

We enjoy renting a moped for the stay. There are many secluded beaches and interesting historical sights. The island is exceptionally clean and the Bermudians are very friendly and helpful. The climate is idyllic. We enjoy it very much and keep returning. Obviuosly, we have to disagree with Desirod6. Sorry if I have gone off topic.

Posts: 759 | From: Burlington ont,canada Cruise center of North America | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 05-04-2001 06:11 PM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Desirod6. We don't pack light, and we don't care. We need BIG bags because we will
dress like a million bucks for dinner.
Always. It's fun to look good.

Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
norman warren
First Class Passenger
Member # 1602

posted 05-04-2001 06:52 PM      Profile for norman warren   Email norman warren   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On the Regal Empress last November for the Pilliage and Plunder cruise, the dress code for the dining room for dinner the last night was "Toga Party".Would post pictures but 1.I dont know how and 2. It would be too shocking
Posts: 117 | From: suffolk va. u.s.a. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-05-2001 01:13 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ascendancy,

I avoided an hour wait with only carry on bags to check in at Miami airport when 15,000 departing cruise passengers descended upon it.

Maybe a topic for air travel. The 3 times I have checked bags, once it took 3 days to get my checked bag back; courtesy of Air France.

I hear stories of suitcases being lost from cruise ships upon embark-debarkation.

Ascendancy, I work too hard for my vacation, and do not want the added stress of having my luggage out of my control.

There is laundry on a ship and always get it done mid and end voyage.

I am an inveterate traveler, by car, sea, and air. Nothing worse than lugging around stuff you may not use.

quote:
Originally posted by Ascendancy:
Desirod6. We don't pack light, and we don't care. We need BIG bags because we will
dress like a million bucks for dinner.
Always. It's fun to look good.

I care less of what people wear, and more of who they are, and how they treat others. I have met passengers from heavan and hell in all forms of dress

Clothing is simply packaging. Unless it is extremely shabby or ostentatious it does not matter. If people do not remember what you wore, you have dressed well.

If the hassle is worth it to you so be it.

PS: NCL rents formal wear

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: desirod6 ]

Ascendancy
First Class Passenger
Member # 840

posted 05-05-2001 10:43 AM      Profile for Ascendancy   Email Ascendancy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hear you desirod. What gets me the most is when someone takes more than what they can handle. They are always in your way struggling at the carousels, on the plane and boarding and debarkation. I cannot count the number of times I've helped old folks with their bags just to get them the heck out of the way!
Posts: 354 | From: Aurora, CO | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-05-2001 02:15 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ascendancy:
I hear you desirod. What gets me the most is when someone takes more than what they can handle. They are always in your way struggling at the carousels, on the plane and boarding and debarkation. I cannot count the number of times I've helped old folks with their bags just to get them the heck out of the way!

Long may you continue to take BIG bags and dress like a million bucks for dinner - just don't forget that one day you too will be one of those 'old folks' and will welcome assistance with your bags - unless, of course, you travel with a 'personal flunkie' .

sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 05-05-2001 02:59 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right on Green. I used to always have my personal "helper", but he's no longer here. He used to help the "old" folk as he knew some day he would be there also. In September I am travelling by myself for the first time and I hope there will be some kind soul out there to help me, if I should run into trouble and not help me just to "get me out of the way".

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 05-05-2001 03:35 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ascendancy...regardless of age may you never be in the position where you HAVE to have help for anything.
Different types of baggage carousels never used to bother me, but nowadays they're crucial. The flat, low ones are still OK - I can get a bag off them, but the ones with the high lips about a foot off the ground defeat me because I cannot lift anything that high. So now I use a redcap.
On the other hand you sound like one of those people who ignore the carry-on size limits. Just don't go to Europe where you can run into the 45" and 12lbs for 1 carry-on.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 05-06-2001 06:18 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gohaze:
Ascendancy...regardless of age may you never be in the position where you HAVE to have help for anything…………

It's doubtful that our friend will ever be in that position - fate is a law unto itself!

"Different types of baggage …………." nor us - but times change. My other half complained about my 2 suitcases - in St Marten one trip he found a large Oyster suitcase and announced that it should be big enough to reduce me to one piece of baggage - we bought it - it's a very sickly grey with pink trim - we never lose it but it's impossible to remove from a carousel! - even the airline check-in people plaster HEAVY (bright red) stickers on it! After our last cruise, I was advised that from now on two regular size bags would be o.k!
Red Caps - Amen to that - if you can find one!!!

Last I heard, it's now 10lbs max. and if check-in personnel live by the rules, the piece has to fit into the basket thing. Let's hope the rule is vigorously imposed - I'm sick of those overhead bin hogs.

Cheers

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 05-06-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't it be great if the airlines clamped down on the "BIN HOGS". We've got a couple of shoulder bags that Orient Lines gives to Polo Club members, they comply with the limits and are great as they fit in the bins lengthwise and are easy to get in and out, besides fitting under the seat. With Orients days before/after it's also just right for a couple of days change of clothes.
As for suitcases...we've used the samsonite 26" hardside since the dark ages. Had to get a new one before last trip and they've now got a nice upright one with wheels and handles on the top and side and a pull up handle. Always get GOOD wheels.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Winner
First Class Passenger
Member # 1188

posted 05-06-2001 11:13 PM      Profile for Winner   Email Winner   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm--I am one of your "older" ladies--and I hope you DO age well. Some of us do also. I have a decent bod--thanks to my parents' genes and lots of walking. I continue to wear backless (sometimes) but never bra-less dresses and am happy, as is my husband, with my personal style.
The point I am making is that a person's age is not necessarily the defining factor in her or his choice of dress.
PS: some of those sequined tops are quite attractive and festive.

Posts: 113 | From: Santa Rosa CA USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 05-07-2001 08:33 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The older ladies of the Ocean=classic liners have far more grace, slender curves and sex appeal than any boxy newbuild.

quote:
Originally posted by Winner:
Malcolm--I am one of your "older" ladies--and I hope you DO age well. Some of us do also. I have a decent bod--thanks to my parents' genes and lots of walking. I continue to wear backless (sometimes) but never bra-less dresses and am happy, as is my husband, with my personal style.
The point I am making is that a person's age is not necessarily the defining factor in her or his choice of dress.
PS: some of those sequined tops are quite attractive and festive.

bubbles
First Class Passenger
Member # 1415

posted 05-07-2001 08:35 AM      Profile for bubbles   Email bubbles   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm, I think you must be more an Armani than Versace fan!!!

Lots of understated muted colours are always good for armani followers but in summer Versace comes into its own!!

Will be wearing lots of sparkle in the Caribbean but may go more Armani in the Med!!

Posts: 133 | From: England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.