- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line is the first cruise line to set sail from the Port of Baltimore since the industry-wide pause in operations. Carnival Pride is set to depart today on a seven-day cruise to The Bahamas, visiting the popular destinations of Nassau, Freeport and the private island of Half Moon Cay. Prior to departure, a "Back to Fun" event was held in the terminal during...

Latest News...Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, unveiled the Inaugural Season of voyage itineraries for Vista, the line's newest ship. The 18 Inaugural Season voyages commence in April 2023 and will span more than 24 countries across four continents, from the ancient sands of Asia in the east to the glittering hills of Hollywood in the west....

Latest News...Seabourn cruise line, continues to work with various global government and port officials to develop plans for a full return of cruise travel. Seabourn has updated the restart of one of its remaining ships, Seabourn Quest, in time for the summer season in the Mediterranean on May 10, 2022. The ship will resume service in Europe, where it will spend its summer 2022 season homeporting from Venice...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Most favorite ship (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Most favorite ship
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 04-12-2000 03:26 PM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I ask anyone who comes in this topic , wich is your most favorite ship , and please add a little information ?
Posts: 947 | From: Belgium | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 04-12-2000 04:03 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although I never saw her "live" nor sailed
on her, for me c'est "Le Normandie", bien
sur.

It a tough one for me if I choose from those
I have sailed on.....it's a toss-up between
SAL's Gripsholm of 1957 and HAL's Nieuw
Amsterdam of 1938. If you are asking for a
favorite asthetically, my answer would be
different. Can you be more specific with
your question>

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 04-12-2000 08:32 PM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As much as I liked the Ensenada cruise VIKING SERENADE, she's a homely thing, and rolled like a drunk hooker. And her interiors are garish. But her food is good and she had a great disco. She was far superior to the AZURE SEAS (OCEANBREEZE). So much for ones I have been on.

But an all-time favorite? It's hard to say, since most of them I have only seen in pics. But it would have to be the EMPRESS OF BRITAIN of 1931. She seems to be the most ignored of all the big liners from the 30's. That said, the REX (of course) had to be one of the most beautiful of all time, as was her running mate CONTE DI SAVOIA. So those are my three.

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 1157

posted 04-12-2000 09:57 PM      Profile for Guest        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Queen Elizabeth 2 - with out a doubt.

She made her debut in 1969 and since then has become the world's favorite ship (and best known) She is over 70 000 tons heavy, 963 feet long, 13 stories high, the fastest ship in service and a proud Cunard liner.

She will carry the Cunard name proudly through the 21st century.

Why I like her --- well visit:
http://www.qe2.cjb.net/

That pretty much explains it To put it simply - she is the most amazing experience any person could have.

Posts: 1888 | From: Earth | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
BrionP
First Class Passenger
Member # 52

posted 04-13-2000 03:10 AM      Profile for BrionP   Email BrionP   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite ship that I have sailed on was the S.S. Rotterdam. I have made a point over the years of sailing on a different ship for every cruise. The Rotterdam was the only ship I ever repeated. She had a magical quality...I couldn't believe HAL let her go.
My all time favorite is unquestionably the Normandie. There can never be another like her.
I also have a great fondness for the Michelangelo - Raffaello twins. Those long, white, gracefull hulls and distinctive pairs of funnels made them particularly attractive.

Posts: 35 | From: LA, California | Registered: Feb 99  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 04-13-2000 10:21 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BrionP......

Great choices!!!! The Rotterdam V was indeed
very special.....as was Normandie.

I, too, liked Michelangelo/Raffaello...they
did have a certain dash. I had the privilege
of sailing on them back in '65, their first
summer and several times after. Internally
I liked Raffaello better, but I think Miche-
langelo was probably the more popular. I
even got to like those strange funnels after
a while. The last time I crossed with them
was in '73 on the Raffaello......by that time
standards had slipped.....food-wise and ship
maintainance-wise. Such a sad ending for
these two liners......

Will
First Class Passenger
Member # 472

posted 04-13-2000 10:48 AM      Profile for Will   Email Will   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No question The Normandie, then the Europa of the 20s and 30s.
Of the New ships I like the Grand Princess. At least she looks Different from everything else rolling of the assembly line.
I think the stretched Destiny Class ships will look good.

Posts: 46 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 04-13-2000 01:48 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having said it already many times I think, there´s no doubt for me about that my favorite ship is MAXIM GORKIY. This ship is just perfect in every way. It has a classical, streamlined design, absolutely unique and useful funnel design, huge standard cabins and bathrooms, even larger suites (both quite unusual on ships of this size), bright and large corridors, plenty lovely lounges, with 24981 tons it is not too big, neither too small, it is very well maintained, has turbines which avoid from noises, ´has 3 dining-rooms (1 seating), water-fontains on every deck with potable water, a nice indoor-pool with health-baths, sauna and massage facilities, a nice outdoor-pool located midships, a great panoramic-loung on the ship´s front with splendid views , a fantastic German cruise-staff and a qualified, friendly Russian / Ukrainian crew, 3 popular captains always around in passenger-areas to have a talk with, a great stability at sea and a great, first-class atmosphere onboard !
Further more she is one of the last, real Russian cruiseships of this size and with this high comfort-level, which still features a real Russian name and a Russian coloring with a big red star on the bow and Russian flag on the funnel.
It is just always great again when you enter a port with this ship since still people everywhere are wondering and curious about seeing a real Russian liner coming in.
With the ASTOR it was simular until Transocean Tours changed Russian colors into their charter-colors. Even though the ASTOR is a true Russian ship, it looks like a German one now. Anyway, she is my second favorite one.

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 04-13-2000 04:37 PM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite ship is the QE2 , and I am going to see her tomorrow Friday the 14th of April in Southampton , I will stay in Southampton untill Saturday the 15th of April. I will try to see as much as possible related to the great oceanliners of Cunard , White star and Red star.

I will send a full report when I get back from my trip , whit pictures if possible!!!!!

Glencoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1181

posted 04-13-2000 08:44 PM      Profile for Glencoe   Email Glencoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Rex, the 1931 version of "Empress Of Britain" is a beautiful and for some reason ignored liner. I wonder if anyone currently reading this page is old enough to have sailed on her, and remember. I also love the "Norway" /"France".
Posts: 41 | From: St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 04-14-2000 10:38 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rex.....

Interesting choices for favorite ships if
you are thinking of them externally...the
REX with her oddly spaced funnels and the
EMPRESS OF BRITAIN with her overly large
funnels. From what I've seen in pictures,
her interiors were magnificent. The REX's
too were very special as seen in photos.
I never liked her stern though.

Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 04-14-2000 02:48 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Without a doubt "Le France" Someone once wrote "everyone cannot be a millionaire" but those who travel First Class on the France are treated with no less."

From the fabulous "Chambord" resturant to the little "Club Atlantique" bar, the France was First Class when the term meant more than just more-luxurious accomodations!

Food, service everything. Yes, my wife and I traveled first on QE2, which comes in second in this classification, but remember, there is no word for "ambiance" in the English language. (or is there?)

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 04-14-2000 04:09 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cambodge....

I am still lamenting the passing of "Le
France". I first traveled as a student in
"la classe touriste" and then later with my
parents, grandparents, and still later on my
own in "la premiere classe"...."Le Chambord"
was truly exceptional....I loved "le fumoir"
later renamed "le salon riviera" and so many
of the nooks and cozy spots as the fog, rain,
wind, and waves let us know we were on an
ocean greyhound crossing that sometimes
extraordinary body of water. I love crossing
on QE2, but it's not quite the same as
"le France".

Winner
First Class Passenger
Member # 1188

posted 04-14-2000 08:01 PM      Profile for Winner   Email Winner   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favorite ship is usually the last one on which we sailed!
But my sentimental favorite was the "Liberte" on which I took my first cruise while in college; celebrated my 21st birthday on board and our maitre de', fondly called Papa Claude by all of us collegians, made it very special, even allowing friends travelling in "tourist" to join us in "cabin class" for dinner. A special voyage and ship

Posts: 113 | From: Santa Rosa CA USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 04-15-2000 07:54 AM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A thought! Possibly this thread could be divided into two categories. The "favorite ship" as admired, possibly seen, but never traveled upon; and the "favorite ship" based on personal experience. In the former I would place "Normandie" as once seen from the West Side Highway at CGT pier from the West Side Highway. (while traveling with my parents on Easter vacation. In the latter category, "le France" as previously extolled by me.
Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 04-15-2000 08:49 AM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We're of the select few who love the Norway - probably because we're ballroom dancers (have I said that enough?) and we love her dance floors and overall ambiance. And because we've come to appreciate her trans-Atlantic elegance, we would have loved to sail on Normandie - what beautiful lines, and it breaks our hearts every time we see the films of her in flames. We still have a soft spot in our hearts, though, for RCCL's Majesty of the Seas - our "first."

KruzinKat & Renegade4

Posts: 101 | From: Kingston, MA USA | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Cunardcoll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1226

posted 04-16-2000 06:41 AM      Profile for Cunardcoll   Author's Homepage   Email Cunardcoll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As I told you all , my favorite ship is the QE2 , and now that I 've seen her , I like her even more than I used to do , She 's a great ship , still the creme of the Transatlantic liners , the last great Oceanliner , untill now at least , But when Cunard's new ship the Queen Mary 2 is ready , there will be a new Oceanliner to sail along with QE2 , and Caronia with it , There will be 3 great ships , the 3 great Cunarders

seabourn_paul
Just Boarded
Member # 1237

posted 04-16-2000 10:51 AM      Profile for seabourn_paul   Author's Homepage   Email seabourn_paul   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QE2 of course !

She is the best cruise / liner in the world and also has the bonus of being a true liner.

I also like Seabourn Sun and the Seabourn Pride... Hence my nickname!

Posts: 9 | From: australia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
WJCdiver
First Class Passenger
Member # 946

posted 04-16-2000 06:59 PM      Profile for WJCdiver     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In order my choices would be:

Normandie - unbelievably ahead of her time in
style and grace. I love the France as well, but she has many of the lines of the Normandie.

QE2

Michelangelo and Raphaelo

Rotterdam V (and Canberra)

Bill

Posts: 159 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
kbozman
First Class Passenger
Member # 642

posted 04-16-2000 10:54 PM      Profile for kbozman   Email kbozman   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, Hi Kruzincats!

In my opionion the Normandie would be my first choice for all around great liner,
however, each time I look at the Conte di Savoia I am taken with her beauty. The simetry and balance of her design both for
the hull and superstructure is second to none. When I think of all the great liners
and find myself trying to choose just one
it's kind of like trying to pick a favorite
piece of music, there is a place in my heart
for a lot and not just one.

Kbozman.

Posts: 154 | From: Hanover Pa, USA | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
jake14
First Class Passenger
Member # 602

posted 04-16-2000 11:18 PM      Profile for jake14   Email jake14   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the one the only qe2 for being as good as it gets
Posts: 136 | From: susanville ca us | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
pungpui
First Class Passenger
Member # 1218

posted 04-17-2000 05:31 AM      Profile for pungpui     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My favourite ship would probably be QE2 and Oriana. They are both very large, comfortable, relitable, and have excelent service. Only judging from my room though
i've only travelled in the penthouse suites

Posts: 419 | From: Sydney, NSW, Australia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barbara
Just Boarded
Member # 1240

posted 04-17-2000 05:40 PM      Profile for Barbara     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just reading the discussion of favorite ships and was pleased to see the QE2 listed several times. I am sailing on her in June...NYC to Southampton. Do you think the sailing will be rough?

Cruising is my favorite holiday. I've been on over 20 cruises (I've lost count) but I just returned from a Greek Island cruise on the Renaissance One. That's a nice ship!

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 04-18-2000 12:01 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barbara....

There is no way to know if your crossing will be smooth or rough. I have crossed many times.....sometimes it's like a pond, other
times very rough as soon as you're in the
ocean.....other times it's a combination. I
wouldn't worry about it.....just go with the
flow.....it really is pleasant when it's
a little rough.....that's all part of the
a crossing.

NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 04-18-2000 12:01 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barbara....

There is no way to know if your crossing will be smooth or rough. I have crossed many times.....sometimes it's like a pond, other
times very rough as soon as you're in the
ocean.....other times it's a combination. I
wouldn't worry about it.....just go with the
flow.....it really is pleasant when it's
a little rough.....that's all part of the
a crossing.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2015 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.