- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » RCL tipping policy

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RCL tipping policy
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 10-17-2012 12:10 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We just booked our 6/15/13 Family cruise on OOTS.
We were informed that RCL now wants all tipping fees to be payed for up front when final payment is due PRIOR to the cruise.
I do NOT like this policy.
Tipping is for excelent service rendered after the fact!!!
T I P S= " To Insure prompt service"
This must be a new feature. I know your daily account has this logged on your statement.--old policy.
It's like paying for your shore excursions in advance prior to the cruise. Also BS!

Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI2
First Class Passenger
Member # 35998

posted 10-17-2012 01:47 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI2   Email DAMBROSI2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is NOT a good idea.
Posts: 687 | From: Olney, IL, Move to FL 02/2015, Sailed SS NORWAY 3 xs. /May '99 Orig. Reg. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
SSTRAVELER
First Class Passenger
Member # 15170

posted 10-17-2012 02:08 PM      Profile for SSTRAVELER     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That would mean that TIPS are becoming a mandatory service charge.

Ask your travel agent -- or Royal Caribbean directly -- because there is usually a way to opt out. But that might mean that you can not charge TIPS to your account and have to hand them out the old fashioned way at the end of the cruise.

Posts: 757 | From: New York | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 10-17-2012 04:03 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tips are becoming indeed service charges, they are meant nowadays as regular wages for the crew. It would be fairer to include it directly in the price. Real tips, for extra services can still be given then, it would be more transparent.
J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 10-17-2012 05:19 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hold the phone there! I just checked for you and the only reason the gratuities have to be pre-paid is because only "My Time Dining" is available on that date.....main and late dining are waitlisted.

Normally folks have the option of choosing traditional main or late dining OR the flexible "My Time Dining." But IF folks choose MTD, it's required that the tips be paid up front.

Your travel agent should know this and should have explained it to you. IF pre-paying the tips is an issue, ask he or she to waitlist you for either main or late dining...if the waitlist clears before your final payment date, you can have them remove the pre-paid gratuities.

-Russ

[ 10-17-2012: Message edited by: linerguy ]

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 10-17-2012 05:25 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You do not pray gratuities on RCI unless you sign up for My Time dining. Other than that, gratuities remain the same.
Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 10-17-2012 05:30 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Atlcruiser probably meant to say that you don't 'pre-pay' gratuities on RCI unless you choose My Time Dining.

-Russ

Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 10-17-2012 06:28 PM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes, we choose MTD. Most cruise lines will set the charges on a daily basis. Added to your daily account.
Aren't tips suppose to be equally divided amongst the crew members?
What difference does any time dining have to do with this??
I agree add the tips into the upfront cruise fare. Some of the $$$ cruise lines do this as tips are included.
As Diamond Members ON RCL I am NOT happy on this matter.
Frosty 4

jetwet1
First Class Passenger
Member # 6361

posted 10-17-2012 06:36 PM      Profile for jetwet1   Author's Homepage   Email jetwet1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Atlcruiser:
You do not pray gratuities on RCI unless you sign up for My Time dining. Other than that, gratuities remain the same.

Out of interest, what is the difference ? Why would my time dining cause the tips to be paid up front ?

Posts: 608 | From: Las VEgas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 10-17-2012 07:17 PM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
we just got off the explorer of the seas and were still given envelopes at the end of the cruise....i saw no tips on the on board charges..must be starting now
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 10-17-2012 08:57 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RCI's policy is gratuities are pre paid if you choose My Time Dining. It's been that way since MTD was introduced.jeff, you still receive the envelopes if you have traditional dining.

[ 10-17-2012: Message edited by: Atlcruiser ]

Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 10-17-2012 09:03 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
Yes, we choose MTD. Most cruise lines will set the charges on a daily basis. Added to your daily account.
Aren't tips suppose to be equally divided amongst the crew members?
What difference does any time dining have to do with this??
I agree add the tips into the upfront cruise fare. Some of the $$$ cruise lines do this as tips are included.
As Diamond Members ON RCL I am NOT happy on this matter.
Frosty 4

No gratuities are not divided up among the crew unless they are part of the MTD staff. If you have traditional dining then you have the same waitstaff each night and extend gratuities at the end of the week with the cash envelopes. With MTD you could have a different waitstaff each night thus the pre paying. It's the way that RCI and Celebrity have it set up.

linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 10-17-2012 10:41 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is it really worth getting your knickers in such an uproar? If you're not happy with it, pick another line..you're well outside of your final payment date, so you could cancel without penalty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being disrespectful, and I can see why it bothers you (maybe not to the point that it apparently does). Just remember: people vote with their money; if you don't like having to prepay the gratuities take your money elsewhere and tell them why.

Since RCI probably won't change their policy just for you, why go on the cruise only to grumble about it the entire time?

-Russ

claudio
First Class Passenger
Member # 1214

posted 10-18-2012 01:57 AM      Profile for claudio   Email claudio   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i dont understand some people will brag during the cruise how much they paid for a balcony suite with a personal butler then have a cry about paying 6or 10 bucks a day tips
its your system america
if you dont like it come to australia princess has a no tipping policy here

Posts: 468 | From: melbourne australia | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 10-18-2012 07:59 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Royal Caribbean has required pre-paid gratuities for My Time Dining since its inception several years ago; this is nothing new. I sell RCI every day and have never had anyone complain about it; anyone who has a problem prepaying this item is probably someone looking for a way to get out of tipping altogether, once on board. On the other hand, Frosty, you just admitted that you would like to see gratuities included in the upfront cost of the trip, which they are in this case.

As already mentioned, there are lines which include gratuities in the fare, but you are going to pay more for the fare upfront, even in the case of Carnival Australia cruises.

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 10-18-2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To set the record straight it has been a while since we sailed on RCL. That being before their anytime dining.
Most of our recent cruising has been on HAL,Princess and Celebrity. where we had anytime dining. I'm not sure on the Celebrity however.
I prefer the envelope tip policy. I then get to thank the staff envolved with the service they rendered. Of course we still do even with the auto tip policy.

Some of the people that are included on automatic tipping we don't have contact with.,either hotel staff or those in the dining room.
This whole case was just something that was new and differs from other lines. Hence my surprize.
Frosty 4

JP
First Class Passenger
Member # 1373

posted 10-18-2012 02:43 PM      Profile for JP     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Linerrich:
anyone who has a problem prepaying this item is probably someone looking for a way to get out of tipping altogether, once on board.

Or, as with us, if they had hoped to be able use their onboard credit to pay their tips.

Posts: 280 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
H.M.S.Bonaventure
First Class Passenger
Member # 17509

posted 10-19-2012 08:33 PM      Profile for H.M.S.Bonaventure   Email H.M.S.Bonaventure   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I work as a Supervisor for Encore Cruises (representing 14 cruises lines) up here in Canada. Royal Caribbean (as already mentioned) offers you the choice of adding prepaid gratuities to your booking unless you have MYTime Dining. With Celebrity it is the same if you select Celebrity Select dining. Disney new automatically adds gratuities to your shipboard account if you dont prepay them in advance. I have heard rumours that Holland America and Costa Cruises are planning on following suit.

Having cruise twelve times on Carnival, Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Costa Cruises, I prefer to add them to my booking and prepay for them in advance, even if I just do early or late dining on RCI and CEL. It is convenient to pay for it ahead of time and not have to worry about it being added to your bill at the end of the cruise. The same thing with Shore Excursions. I usually book my cruises up to a year in advance and book my shore excursions about four to six months out. That way you get the best choice, you dont have to worry about something being sold out, and you can always make changes anytime.

Just my two cents

Posts: 13 | From: Toronto, Ontario Canada | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.