- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises today announced it is making a significant enhancement to the main dining options found across its fleet, designed to give guests the ultimate in flexibility and choice when it comes to their dining experience by offering three table service options – Traditional, Reservable, or Walk-in Anytime - coupled with the brand's industry...

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line Captain Niccolo De Ranieri and his team on Mardi Gras were honored Tuesday evening by the Association for Rescue at Sea (AFRAS) for saving the lives of 16 people. De Ranieri accepted the Cruise Ship Humanitarian Assistance Award at the AFRAS annual awards ceremony in Washington, D.C., an event that recognizes heroism at sea by the U.S. Coast Guard...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed fresh, new culinary and beverage experiences debuting aboard Norwegian Aqua, the Company's next evolution new build and first vessel of the expanded Prima Plus Class, setting sail in April 2025. In line with the Company's commitment to delivering the ultimate vacation experience, ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Costa Destiny?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Costa Destiny?
Danpc5
First Class Passenger
Member # 74766

posted 02-17-2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Danpc5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Talking about Carnival, the company will deploy Carnival Destiny in Europe beginning in Feabruary 2013. Could the ship be heading for Costa Crociere, replacing Costa Concordia?
Posts: 108 | From: Santos, Brazil - Biggest Cruise Port of Southern Hemisphere! | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-17-2012 07:14 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My understanding is that the Concordia was booked solid and her sinking caused a berth shortage for the Med.

It would make total sense to pull the Destiny; oldest of the class out of the Caribbean which may have had excess capacity and put her on the more profitable Concordia itinerary.

It would not surprise me if what were the future Concordia passengers are booked on the Destiny.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Westerdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2093

posted 02-17-2012 08:48 PM      Profile for Westerdam   Email Westerdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would be surprised if this actually happens. She was supposed to be due for a big refit/rebuild in 2013 so I would imagine that is why she is leaving for Europe. Fincantieri probably will be doing the work. But really anything is possible.
Posts: 329 | From: Waukegan, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-18-2012 12:02 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Daniel, that was actually my first thought. It is a bit odd for them to be sending their oldest in that class to the Med when most cruise lines send their newest, biggest, or nicest.

The other thing that caught my eye was WHEN they were sending her over - February 4th! That is well outside the normal time frame for trans-atlantics and for cruise ships repositioning to Europe.

Even if she was due for a major refit they wouldn't send her to the Med, they would just do it in Freeport like they did with the Carnival Liberty.

This from Cruise Industry News:

Additionally, Carnival Destiny will offer a 16-day transatlantic crossing departing Miami Feb. 4 and arriving Civitavecchia (Rome) on Feb. 20, 2013.

Featured ports on the crossing include Ponta Delgada (Azores), Portugal; Malaga, Spain; Monte Carlo, Monaco; and Genoa and Livorno, Italy.

Details on the Carnival Destiny’s deployment following the trans-Atlantic crossing will be announced at a later date

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 02-18-2012 08:32 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even using that southern Atlantic route, that could be a bumpy ride in February!
Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Westerdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 2093

posted 02-18-2012 02:41 PM      Profile for Westerdam   Email Westerdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is an article from last July in Cruise Business Online. As you can see this is more then just a minor refit. She is going for a full rebuild "in early 2013"

Carnival Destiny, the 1996-built 101,353 gross ton cruise liner of Carnival Cruise Lines, will undergo an extensive refit in early 2013 that will involve both outer decks and indoor spaces on board the ship. The dry docking itself is scheduled to take over a month.

The Lido deck is to be completely refurbished and as part of this the magrodome in the stern of the vessel will be removed. The space here will be occupied by new restaurants, Camp Carnival and the WaterWorks with water slide will be relocated from the front of the ship to the aft. The WaterWorks will be upgraded and it will be an evolution of that on the Fantasy class of the company: a pool with two parts will be built, whikle a third pool will be added as well. On the software side, the youth programme at Camp Carnival will also be upgraded.

Carnival Destiny is now 15 years old and it was the first cruise ship in excess of 100,000 gross tons in size, and it is the "mother" to many ships that have followed – such as the sister ships Carnival Triumph, and Carnival Victory, that followed in 1999 and 2000 respectively. Both of these were built with an additional deck. The Conquest class of Carnival Cruise Lines and the Concordia class vessels of sister company Costa Crociere are developments of Carnival Destiny’s deign.

Indoors, an opening in the middle of the two deck high Galaxy dining room on decks 3 and 4 will be closed and a steak house plus an Italian restaurant will be built in the area on deck 4. There will be a charge for dining in both of these and passengers can have their dinner any time during the opening hours of the restaurants.

On the lower level of the Galaxy dining room, deck 3 meals will be served on the basis of the Your Time dining concept of the company.

All cabins will receive a facelift and the entire spa area will be modernized as well.

When a ship reaches 15 years of age, it has come to the midpoint of its expected life cycle and in many cases ships will be completely refitted at this point. This is to keep up with requirements of the market that has chaned in that time. Consequently, similar refurbishment will be carried out on all of the Destiny class ships when they reach the age of 15 years: together there are three ships of this type. The refurbishment itself is an evolution of work carried out on board units of the 1990s built Fantasy-class ships.

Posts: 329 | From: Waukegan, Illinois | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-19-2012 12:17 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Couldn't this overhaul, as extensive as it is, be done at Freeport? Most every major overhaul that I can think of in the last few years, with the exception of the Costa neoRomantica, was done in the Bahamas. Sure a few have also been done in Hamburg or Victoria, but why send it all the way back to Italy?

Did the sinking of the Costa Concordia in effect change where the Carnival Destiny was to be overhauled? The announcement posted above never mentioned the yard it was going to, so could they have rerouted her so that when she is done post-overhaul remain in the Med year round and assume the route of the Costa Concordia but remain under Carnival Cruise Lines?

Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 02-19-2012 10:04 AM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't see why Destiny would cross the atlantic just to have this refit. Although it is extensive, no more so than things that have been done to other ships in Freeport. I also can't see Costa taking Destiny. They have new ships coming on stream including the Costa Fascinosa this year and followed by a Costa derivative of the Carnival Dream. If the week long med circuits are indeed the most profitable and heavily booked, then they have plenty of ships to reshuffle if needed. I also think they have moved beyond the parent company hand me down phase now.
Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-19-2012 10:14 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
I also can't see Costa taking Destiny. They have new ships coming on stream including the Costa Fascinosa this year and followed by a Costa derivative of the Carnival Dream. If the week long med circuits are indeed the most profitable and heavily booked, then they have plenty of ships to reshuffle if needed. I also think they have moved beyond the parent company hand me down phase now.

It would take Costa at least 3 years to get a direct Concordia replacement. The new ships were planned with the idea of the Concordia in the fleet.

It is not so much a hand me down, as a temporary situation. Destiny is not ideal for the Med unless in the summer.

I saw models of the Concordia and Carnival Dream next to each other at Sea Trade. The upper deck configuration is quite different. Carnival designed for Caribbean year round hot weather, with the Concordia for both hot and moderate cold weather that the Med has.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-20-2012 04:32 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival Cruise Lines will have had a vessel sailing in the Med for a couple of summers before 2013 - newbuilds before crossing to the US.
Carnival Legend is sailing out of Dover in 2013 from late April.
I can't see that Carnival CL will have a new vessel to cover the Med in 2013?
The Grand Bahama Shipyard may well be fully booked with other projects. She will take a couple of months, maybe there just is not the room. Fincantieri desperately need work.
I can't see that Costa will want a 'Costa Destiny' myself unless forced on them.

My theory is that Carnival need a vessel in the Med for the 2013 summer season. With Legend in Dover and Destiny due for the refit, they will have the work on Destiny done at Fincantieri from Feb to April and she will then sail the Med for the summer before returning to the Caribbean.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-22-2012 02:02 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Her itinerary is out for the transatlantic which ends in Venice. Is it normal to take nine full sea days straight to get from Miami to Malaga? Great single occupancy fare for an amidships inside cabin $1456 incl. port charges and taxes for 18 days!

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.