- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...She's the next in a fine line for Cunard, and today (April 19), Queen Anne officially joined the luxury cruise line's iconic fleet during a historic handover ceremony in Italy. Cunard took ownership of their stunning 3,000-guest ship during a traditional handover ceremony at the Fincantieri Marghera shipyard in Venice – where master shipbuilders have been constructing the...

Latest News...Princess Cruises and ship builder Fincantieri today announced the mutual decision to postpone the delivery of the next Sphere Class ship, Star Princess. Following a comprehensive review of the remaining construction milestones, both parties have elected to adjust the ship's delivery date from July 29, 2025 to September 26, 2025, which will result in the cancellation of the nine...

Latest News...Seabourn announced this week that the Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit, the line's newest ultra-luxury, purpose-built expedition ship. >Seabourn is the first cruise line to appoint Traditional Owners as godparents of a ship. The naming of Wunambal Gaambera Traditional Owners as godparents of Seabourn Pursuit serves as a symbolic gesture...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » U.S. cruise lines move forward with interporting strategies

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: U.S. cruise lines move forward with interporting strategies
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 02-08-2012 11:43 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Travel Weekly

Two U.S.-based cruise lines are poised to test the waters of interporting, a practice historically offered by European lines that enables passengers to choose from multiple embarkation ports.

Norwegian Cruise Line and Royal Caribbean International will soon offer this option on certain ships, and Italy-based MSC Cruises will expand the practice to the Caribbean.

Their plans would be less noteworthy had it not been for the Costa Concordia accident, which occurred after more than 600 passengers boarded the 3,200-passenger ship in Civitavecchia, Italy, the port for Rome. Others had boarded earlier in Barcelona.

That double embarkation cast a spotlight on interporting because none of the 600 had participated in a muster drill prior to the Concordia’s grounding on Jan. 13, which happened within a few hours of departing Civitavecchia.

Under the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (Solas), cruise ships must hold their safety briefings within 24 hours of setting sail.

The Concordia officers were operating within the framework of the rule, but some have pointed out that the evacuation of the ship, which struck rocks off Italy’s coast and became half-submerged, would have been less chaotic, and perhaps less deadly, if everyone onboard had been primed for an emergency.

Sixteen Concordia passengers were confirmed dead after the grounding, and 16 remain missing.

Generally, interport options are seen as a convenience to cruise passengers and sometimes are offered as an incentive to attract certain source markets.

In light of the Concordia accident, cruise lines that plan to begin interporting are citing their safety procedures that require muster drills or evacuation briefings on any day that new passengers board their ships.

Royal Caribbean International’s 2,100-passenger Brilliance of the Seas will embark passengers in San Juan and Guadeloupe on a series of seven-night Southern Caribbean cruises during the 2012-13 winter season.

According to Royal Caribbean spokesman Harry Liu, the choice is meant to appeal to South American customers, who might prefer joining the ship in Guadeloupe rather than San Juan. Most Americans and Canadians will board in San Juan, he added.

...full article here

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-08-2012 12:47 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My understanding of world cruises that most passengers 'interport' or buy segments.

My retirement dream in 15-20 years is a winter 88 day world cruise and meet new people on the different segments.

I would think after the Concordia accident that there will be lifeboat drills every time new passengers are taken aboard while just leaving or before leaving port.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 02-08-2012 01:13 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why not have a mandatory drill every time new passengers board the ship. The latest arrivals would be required to attend the drill and hopefully these drills could take place while the ship is at the pier. I never understood the reason for having a drill within 24 hours of departure. What happens if the ship is involved in an accident an hour after departure?
Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-08-2012 02:09 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Carnival Fantasy had a fire at the stern laundry room just outside of government cut. Passengers were mustered at the stations. Ship U turned back into the harbor. Fire was put out. No casualties. Long since forgotten since everything was done correctly.
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-08-2012 02:18 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
Carnival Fantasy had a fire at the stern laundry room [...]

Vistafjord too - see here.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-08-2012 02:28 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Out of those lost on Concordia how many had not attended a drill? [some were crew]. Personally I am not sure it would have made any difference as the numbers were very low.

I have seen many a drill for just the embarking passengers interporting and afair most were before sailing. As I have said before, with vessels so large I doubt any passengers who had just boarded would have even had a chance to get to grips with the layout and be able to find their way directly. As long as they have their key card with muster station and lifeboat listed they will be directed to the right spot.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-08-2012 02:39 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For the long haul passengers multiple drills would aid in knowing what to do in an emergency situation.
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-08-2012 03:04 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You do have multi drills on long voyages. This would not be possible on a 7 night cruise and pointless [imho].
No-one knows how they are going to react in a real emergency and all rational thoughts/actions may disappear. Why do people need to attend a drill, most take no notice anyway. The average human being is not an idiot and should merely need to be told on embarkation to note exit routes and musters stations for themselves. The cabin TVs usually run continuously safety proceedures and how to put a life jacket on [though one why one needs to be told is beyond me, it's obvious - an immersion suit might be another matter]. These are much better than any drill and more emphasis should just be on telling pax to watch this before sailing - it is up to the individual. I am sure many like myself have a quick glance about to note the emergency exits when boarding a bus or train - it's common sense.
Nanny everyone and they expect to be nannied in any emergency too. More emphasis on personal responsibility is required.

Pam

Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 02-08-2012 03:31 PM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HAL do this in Alaska you cane book a cruise/land package. When the passengers return from there land based part of the package, they are doing a drill with those passengers.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 02-08-2012 03:33 PM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Excellent points, Pam. I'm with you on this one!
Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-08-2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NAL:
Excellent points, Pam. I'm with you on this one!

I also agree on that. Most drill scenarios are not realistic at all and most passengers do not get much out of it. The only good reason for such drills is that the crew gets an opportunity to handle crowds - however, I am not sure whether these drills are an efficient way of achieving that.

Passengers certainly can be informed about emergency procedures in a more efficient manner.
e.g. I saw an interview with a couple who were aboard sinking Costa Concordia complaining during that interview that there was a well organized drill but that allegedly nobody told them that this (the muster station) would indeed be the place to go to in an emergency.... (personally, I do not believe that this hasn't been said). Now, I don't want to blame this couple for anything or insinuate that they were not the smartest but this just shows than an evacuation procedure must not rely on passengers having been briefed during a drill. It simply does not work this way.

Another thing that's worth to be mentioned here is that there are no drills for passenger aboard overnight ferries - and they have much less crew to evacuate these ships.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-08-2012 03:59 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
You do have multi drills on long voyages. This would not be possible on a 7 night cruise and pointless [imho].

Pam

That is exactly my point, on interporting voyages, there will be more than one drill. A 7 or even 10 day r/t with no new passengers is not really necessary.

Chip
First Class Passenger
Member # 3576

posted 02-08-2012 04:44 PM      Profile for Chip   Email Chip   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desirod7:
Carnival Fantasy had a fire at the stern laundry room just outside of government cut. Passengers were mustered at the stations. Ship U turned back into the harbor. Fire was put out. No casualties. Long since forgotten since everything was done correctly.

The Carnival ship that caught fire while leaving the port of Miami was the Carnival Ecstasy.

How have cruise lines handled the muster drill for passengers who missed the ship at it's homeport and boarded at the first port of call?

Posts: 19 | From: Farmington Hills, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-09-2012 12:05 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Didn't Carnival Cruise Lines do interporting on one of their ships out of San Juan back in the late-90's?
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 02-09-2012 02:56 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
a) In 2006 there was the fire on the Star Princess, during which the passengers had to go to muster stations. The general alarm was sounded at 03:20 and passengers were held at their muster stations until nearly 10am. I thought I had read that passengers reported that they had found the muster drill some days earlier to have been useful, as at least they knew where they were supposed to go.

b) I don't know how 'segment' muster drills on world cruises are done, but I would think that there would be some differences between them and a typical interporting arrangement. In the case of traditional world cruise segments, they would typically be 25 days or more apart, whereas interporting embarkations might every few days. Here's one practical issue: closure of bars, etc. I don't think that the current MSC/Costa arrangement in Europe sees the bars and so on shut during the drills or assemblies for passengers who have embarked anywhere but the main embarkation port, so the ship is still operating normally around the passengers doing the drill. Thinking back to the MSC cruise we did, we embarked at Genoa which was the principal port, and that afternoon everything on the ship was closed while the general drill was done. I know that passengers also embarked at Barcelona, and I think also at Marseilles and Naples, and there was no general shutdown at those ports. I think that getting the newly-embarked passengers together for a drill would be a challenge, either on the afternoon of embarkation or the following morning: bars and pools would be open, passengers would be going ashore and returning, poolside events would be taking place, etc, etc.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chip
First Class Passenger
Member # 3576

posted 02-09-2012 02:58 PM      Profile for Chip   Email Chip   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
Didn't Carnival Cruise Lines do interporting on one of their ships out of San Juan back in the late-90's?

Carnival has been doing interporting since at least 2008 first with the Carnival Destiny and then the Carnival Victory which took over the San Juan sailings. Most of the passengers board the ship on Sunday in San Juan. Most of the British passengers board on Wednesday in Barbados.

In April of 2008 when I was in the Carnival Destiny we also had a group of around 20 passengers board the ship on Monday in St. Thomas. This group had made prior arrangments to start the cruise in St. Thomas. The only time it appeared that the ship closed down for a muster drill was on Sunday night before we sailed from San Juan.

[ 02-09-2012: Message edited by: Chip ]

Posts: 19 | From: Farmington Hills, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JP
First Class Passenger
Member # 1373

posted 02-09-2012 03:21 PM      Profile for JP     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Victoria (Chandris Fantasy Cruises) was boarding passengers in San Juan and Barbados in 1987.
Posts: 280 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Globaliser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4153

posted 02-21-2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Globaliser     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
Why do people need to attend a drill, most take no notice anyway.
One big advantage is that most passengers will have walked the route from their cabin to the muster station. If they started from somewhere else on the ship, at least they will have physically been to the muster station and seen what it looks like. There is no substitute for this: these things do matter when people are stressed.

In addition, on most cruises the drill gives the crew an opportunity to give a briefing to at least part of which a goodly proportion of the passengers will listen. If one were to rely on asking passengers to watch the video at their own leisure, I would bet that a much lower proportion of passengers would do so.

As for "interporting", wasn't Princess doing this quite recently? IIRC, 14-night itineraries which one could start from either Barbados and Fort Lauderdale, which were seven nights apart.

Posts: 1869 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 02-21-2012 11:02 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing we missed here. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!
The cruise lines want full capacity and that means revenue. Picking up passengers at various ports does that.
I believe trying to get those newly boarded passengers to muster will not work. Unless at the dock when they check in they must see a movie as per on the TV,it will be up to them to find their muster station which as we all know is posted on the back of your cabin door.
To some extent moving baggage around to cabins every day could get annoying as it blocks the passageways .
MY 2 cents worth.
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 02-21-2012 01:55 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Frosty 4:
One thing we missed here. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!
The cruise lines want full capacity and that means revenue. Picking up passengers at various ports does that.
I believe trying to get those newly boarded passengers to muster will not work.

It is probably only US based Lines used to the restrictions of the PSA which don't interport. The logistics of filling cabins with all the comings and goings must get quite complicated at times - some people don't take a full 7 days in a row either in the Med, you can disembark in one port and rejoin for the rest of the cruise the following week. You don't have to do 7 days either [or whatever the round trip is], you can just do a few days. Getting newly boarded passenger to muster does work and has done for years. It is no big deal. It depends on how many board as to the manner in which it is done.

Unless at the dock when they check in they must see a movie as per on the TV,it will be up to them to find their muster station which as we all know is posted on the back of your cabin door.

That's fine.. I see no reason why one needs to be shown one's muster station, but others do However this is indeed done when there are sufficient numbers interporting, I have seen it a few times. There can be announcements saying when the 7 whistles blow it is for a muster for newly boarded passengers only and the rest can ignore it [as per when then there is a crew drill etc], or if few people I have just seen them in a group being walked about.

To some extent moving baggage around to cabins every day could get annoying as it blocks the passageways .

It is not a problem as those passengers from the various ports in the main are in areas together. Of course there are others here and there, but not many and you won't find yourself crawling over suitcases anywhere - mostly you don't even notice. The first time I came across this was many years ago, but I wondered why the cabin opposite were departing one day into the cruise - then I realised what happens. You really only see piles of cases on the quay.

Pam

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.